Profile for s_stonebraker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

s_stonebraker RSS Feed

Dirt Candy: A Cookbook: Flavor-Forward Food from the Upstart New York City Vegetarian Restaurant
by Ryan Dunlavey
Price: $15.66
109 used & new from $6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, September 5, 2012
LOVE this cookbook/graphic novel. While I will probably never make most of the recipes in this book as it's filled with fine dining recipes that take A LOT of time (except the pickles chapter, I will make EVERYTHING in that chapter), I still adore this book. Here's what it's got going for it:

-There's a chapter on pickled veggies. Need I say more?
-There's a recipe for popcorn pudding!!
-The style of this book is awesome. I found myself actually reading this like a graphic novel instead of just as a cookbook. There are actual plots and stories. So cool.
-It truly is a celebration of vegetables. Her description of her "philosophy" of vegetable cooking is so accessible and refreshing. I feel like she's the kind of vegetarian that wouldn't cause non-veggies to roll their eyes while she talks.
-It's funny.
-You know that introduction in every cookbook that's all "here's what boiling is" and "here's how you braise something" that you completely ignore? This one has it rolled into the story of her and her team training for Iron Chef America that makes it actually fun to read. I'm an avid home cook and some of her tips were clever and new to me.

Check out this book. Especially if you're a veg head.