Profile for Daniel Fitzgerald > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel Fitzgerald RSS Feed (Ottawa Canada)

Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP Standard Tag Library
Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP Standard Tag Library
by David M. Geary
Price: $43.29
50 used & new from $0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Addition with Reservations, January 11, 2003
I like Geary and have his Swing book ( which is in my opinion the definitive tome on the subject ). He's a good author. This new outing covers the tags quite well and with some good practical insights. There are a few things that I just would have done differently had I been the writer, but I liked the formatting and I18N chapters, perhaps the best ones out of the lot.
However, there is not even a mention of the JSP 1.2 XML syntax or how to use JSTL with it, which is [imho] a pretty glaring oversight. In the sample code none of the beans implement 'Serializable' which according to the javaDocs, is a bean requirement. The DTD the samples point to is erroneous. You have to type the samples in because the site from where you are supposed to be able to download them doesn't exist.
For someone who was so meticulous in his previous books, I find this one written by a different Geary. Maybe this is the case. But it did get me on top of the JSTL pretty quickly and that gets 3 stars. There is not much else out there on this subject at the moment.