Profile for C. McFarland > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. McFarland "carmac" RSS Feed

The Tallest of Smalls
The Tallest of Smalls
by Max Lucado
Price: $13.65
105 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Message for Everyone - Young and Old, December 24, 2009
This review is from: The Tallest of Smalls (Hardcover)
Max Lucado's book The Tallest of Smalls deals with the topic of fitting in - something we all go through, young and old. In Stiltsville, everyone came out at 6:00 p.m. to see if they had been picked to receive their own set of stilts. Stilts meant you fit, you belonged. The story follows the life of a young boy in Stiltsville named Little Ollie who wanted so bad to belong - and, like everyone in Stiltsville, he believed that could only happen by receiving as pair of stilts. Unfortunately for Ollie, things didn't work out well while he was on his stilts and he ended up losing his. Fortunately for Ollie he learned a greater lesson in the process: We don't "fit in" or "matter" because of what "we have" but because of who or, more specifically, whose we are. When we belong to Jesus, we learn that everyone fits in and everyone matters. An age old lesson that needs to be relearned and relearned through out our lives.

As usual, Max Lucado does an excellent job of weaving his words together to tell a timeless story.

Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
by Max Lucado
304 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets You At Your Place of Need, August 31, 2009
Like many people today, I have circumstances in my life which have caused me great fear and anxiety. Max Lucado's book Fearless, brought me back to the principles and beliefs that I knew to be true but often forget in the business and overwhelming feelings of everyday life. Max is a great story teller so he makes the Truths of Scripture come alive through real stories and real life examples.

The book is broken down into chapters dealing with many of the fears we all face - fear of losing your job, fear of what might happen to our kids, fear of death, etc.

Many thoughts that Max shared were new to me and helped me understand myself better. For instance:

"Fear, at its center, is a perceived loss of control. When life spins wildly, we grab for a component of life we can manage: our diet, the tidyness of our house, the armrest of a plane, or in many cases, people."

Max also takes a different spin on the paralegic who was dropped through the roof of a home where Jesus was speaking. Most would think that when Jesus saw this man who couldn't walk, He would heal his legs. Jesus had different thoughts and dealt first with this young man's greatest fear:

"Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven" (Matt. 9:2 nasb). Wouldn't we anticipate different words? "Take courage. Your legs are healed.""Your paralysis is over." "Sign up for the Boston Marathon." The man had limbs as sturdy as spaghetti, yet Jesus offered mercy,not muscles. What was he thinking? Simple. He was thinking about
our deepest problem: sin. He was considering our deepest fear: the fear of failing God. Before Jesus healed the body (which he did), he treated the soul. "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

My favorite take away from this book is that the opposite of fear is faith.

I think that anyone who struggles with fear or is dealing with situations in their life where fear is your common reaction, this book will help to put your feet on solid ground again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2009 7:17 AM PDT

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together
by Ron Hall
Price: $11.98
906 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical and Encouraging, February 3, 2009
This book is a great read. It brings together historical facts of how blacks were treated and struggled to start a living for themselves. Using the black vernacular as Denver Moore shares his side of the story makes it even more real. I also enjoyed hearing from Ron Hall how he had to overcome his own prejudices and fears and well as allowing his faith to become real in own life. This is a book we all need to read about how one person willing to risk and love can make a difference in other's lives.