Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for P. Ciullo > Reviews

Browse

P. Ciullo's Profile

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Ciullo "The Rogue Bard" RSS Feed (Clinton Township, MI United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
J.B. Camera Designs Pro Bamboo Grip for Fuji X-T1 - Handmade in the USA
J.B. Camera Designs Pro Bamboo Grip for Fuji X-T1 - Handmade in the USA
Offered by JB Camera Designs
Price: $84.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Exemplifies what "Made in the USA" is supposed to mean, August 9, 2015
First off the attention to detail doesn't know any bounds. Not only is the display/delivery top notch but the grip really is a work of art. I spent several minutes admiring it before I put it on the camera! It feels good in my hand and the fit and finish is exquisite! It offers a nice contrast to the Graphite Silver finish on my X-T1.

Durable. Solidly built. Comfortable in the hand. Smartly designed to allow access to battery and not interfere with screen articulation. Provides a more confident hold on the camera.

I don't mind paying a premium price for premium quality. And I mind it less when I feel that the personal service the manufacturer has provided is delivered genuinely. From the care taken to wrap and deliver the grip to the personalized "Thank you" from J.B. for the purchase. This is what "Made in the USA" is supposed to mean.
Comment Comment | Permalink

iPad Air Keyboard Case, iPad Air 2 Keyboard Case, New Trent Airbender 3.0 Wireless Bluetooth iPad Air Keyboard Case with Detachable Re-designed Durable Corners for Apple iPad Air/iPad Air 2 - Black
Offered by idealpoint
Price: $69.95
55 used & new from $26.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was ruggedized, July 20, 2015
The New Trent Airbender 3.0 Case for the iPad Air 2 is not as solidly built as the rugged/water resistant case I have from them for the iPad Mini. That said, I have to be fair and say that the keyboard portion and the hinge are just as good as the rugged mini case. It is the top (the part that holds the iPad) that is much more flimsy.

One of my negatives for the mini case was the keyboard was a bit cramped yet manageable for someone with average size hands. Obviously this would be expected due to the size of the iPad Mini. The Airbender 3.0 case for the iPad Air 2 is much nicer to type on since the keyboard is getting more toward a full-size (11” MacBook Air- or 11” Chromebook-sized) keyboard. The other nice thing about this keyboard is that you don’t have to use the “Fn” (Function) key for common characters like the apostrophe. In my review of the rugged mini case this was a bigger complaint than how cramped the keyboard was.

One thing I don’t like about this case is the sliding latch to allow you to pull the metal bracket out of the keyboard to adjust the angle of the screen. The rugged mini case didn’t have that and I find the latch to be inconvenient. Not sure why New Trent thought it was necessary but I don’t see it providing any benefit.

Overall I like the case because 10-finger typing is so much easier than touch-screen typing on an iPad. I think that part they got right. The battery life is good. I’ve been using it to type emails and such for several days now and it’s still holding a charge.

This case turns an iPad Air2 into a pseudo mini laptop. For me this is extremely convenient for typing up email, notes, reviews and even doing some simple code editing. It’s much lighter than my MacBook Pro for times when most of what I need to do can be handled by a tablet/iPad.

If this case were ruggedized like the iPad Mini Airbender case I have I would give it 5 stars. Since I feel the top is a bit flimsy and the overall build isn’t as solid as the Mini case I have I can only give it 4 stars.

Expert Shield - THE Anti-Glare Screen Protector for: FujiFilm X-T1 XT1*Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield Ltd.
Price: $13.95
2 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for the X-T1, July 3, 2015
Let's face it ... Electronics are expensive! LED/LCD screens are not cheap to replace. They are also annoying to use when they are cracked, scratched of otherwise damaged. Don't forget what a strain on the eyes those high-gloss screens can be especially outdoors!

The Expert Shield Anti-glare screen protector for the Fujifilm X-T1 is a high-quality must have for your camera! It prevents scratches (necessary because you're always cleaning nose grease off the screen) and almost completely eliminates glare. The screen is of such high resolution I feel the loss of clarity because of the subdued nature of anti-glare screen protector is at the absolute minimum. This option is far better than the glossy version of the protector and, at such a reasonable price, it makes no sense not to buy one and protect your valuable camera screen.

Installation is simple and quick if you read and follow the instructions provided. I only had one small bubble which I was able to smooth out quite quickly using the supplied cleaning cloth. You will NOT be disappointed with the anti-glare version of the screen protector.

Fujifilm X-Pro 1 16MP Digital Camera with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor (Body Only)
Fujifilm X-Pro 1 16MP Digital Camera with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor (Body Only)
Price: $499.00
37 used & new from $374.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm understands what you want, June 13, 2015
Fujifilm gets what a consumer really wants ... Top-notch image quality, build quality and support.

For a more in-depth review read my blog post: http://blog.road2roam.com/2014/01/fujifilm-x-pro-1-review-film-fanatics.html

For a quick overview let me summarize by saying that the X-Trans sensor is an amazing innovation. For the first time in my life as a photographer I have to say that I am impressed with the image quality coming out of a small-format digital camera. The copious level of detail that the sensor and Fuji XF Lenses are capable of producing is breath taking. The film simulations are nicely engineered and the overall layout and control is exactly what I want in a camera.

The fact that I can use a standard mechanical cable release and that the XF lenses have real aperture rings is great. Coming from a film camera background this is a comfortable detail that was well thought out by Fujifilm.

The only have two negatives:
1. The exposure compensation dial is easily bumped so I have to be conscious of that.
2. "Focus by wire" is good but not perfect. Once you get the rhythm down manual focusing is awesome. When I do portraits I prefer to use manual focus (see comments in my review link for more details).

For a more detailed review see the link above. My recommendation is buy it. Fujifilm listens to their customers and the gear just keeps getting better and better!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2015 6:34 PM PDT

Traditional Kukri Training Sword Pair Gurkha Practice Blade Arnis Kali Combat Training *NOT FOR CONTACT TRAINING*
Offered by The Halls of Valhalla of Detroit Michigan
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 13, 2015
Well made and durable and with almost the right weight. Makes training with a Kukri safe (you know ... compared to a live weapon!). My only complaint, and I understand why they are made the way they are, is the handle. Since the handle on my real Kukri is round the feel of these training Kukri in my hand isn't the same. I'm going to attach something (haven't decided what yet) to the handles to fit my hands more like my real Kukri.

In any case I feel they are worth the price and recommend them anyone who is training with a Kukri.

Wrangler Men's Big Rugged Wear Relaxed Straight Fit, Mediterranean, 46x30
Wrangler Men's Big Rugged Wear Relaxed Straight Fit, Mediterranean, 46x30
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $28.99

2.0 out of 5 stars "Rugged" is not accurate, June 13, 2015
"Rugged" is not an accurate way to describe these jeans. I have had plenty of Wrangler jeans and jean shorts in my life. These jeans fall short in the quality of the denim.

As for fit in the crotch, seat, waist and thighs ... they are perfect. Exactly what I want. If the denim was actually the quality that Wrangler used to produce I'd be beyond elated! Alas, they fall short in the durability department.

So, what's the problem with the denim? Here goes:
On two of the three pair I purchased two of the belt loops have torn away from the pants at their lower attachment point. On the one pair they are both in the back. On the other pair one is on the back and one is on the right side. On top of that, those same two pairs have the upper corners of one of the back pockets are also tearing away. Since I carry my wallet in my front pocket and only stuff receipts in my back pockets I'd say there isn't enough distress on those pockets (or the belt loops for that matter) for them to be pulling away. I expect that the third pair will fail in similar ways in the very near future.

Guess I have to keep looking for some decent jeans.

B+W 58mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M)
B+W 58mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M)
Offered by Pro Cam Gear
Price: $38.88
13 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny to the discerning photographer, June 4, 2015
There is a lot of debate as to whether or not filters degrade image quality. Years of shooting film and digital with a wide variety of filters has given me first-hand experience to problems like ghosting and flare that can be caused by buying cheap, uncoated or single coated filters.

I've used all the major brands of filters, including some from major camera manufacturers. First and foremost I have to say that quality multi-coated lenses do not suffer from image degradation when using high-quality multi-coated filters like these XS-Pro filters. Maybe someone with a spectrometer or other fancy device might be able to prove a minute fluctuation but the naked eye doesn't pick it up. I've looked hard to find problems with these multi-coated filters. I haven't found any yet.

I have been using only multi-coated filters for years. With digital I've leaned toward the "Clear" type filter as opposed to "UV" or "Daylight" filters which tend to have a bit of a color cast. Though that color cast is easily corrected I feel I don't want to waste time correcting for it. On my film camera(s) lenses I tend to use multi-coated "UV" filters by B+W.

B+W multicoated filters are the most consistent filters I've used. No ghosting, no unwanted flare, nothing unexpected. Build quality is superb on every B+W filter I've ever owned ... and I own well more than a dozen of them. I prefer using a filter like this on all my lenses for protection from dust and damage to the lens' front element. These XS-Pro nano filters are super easy to clean and worth every penny to someone who wants to protect their lenses without sacrificing image quality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2015 8:19 AM PDT

3pcs Credit Card Size POCKET MAGNIFIER Fresnel Magnifying Lens
3pcs Credit Card Size POCKET MAGNIFIER Fresnel Magnifying Lens
Offered by XIAYATING
Price: $2.75
12 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket magnifier, April 26, 2015
Simple and effective magnifier. Perfect for looking at maps or starting a fire.

Ontario 9416BM Ranger Ready Detachment RD6 Knife (Black)
Ontario 9416BM Ranger Ready Detachment RD6 Knife (Black)
Price: $59.99
26 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars American (made) Beauty, April 26, 2015
Ontario Knives are made in the US. It's tough to find a blade not made in China ... even from the big names in knives!! This blade is sharp, tough, thick and durable. I've used it around the yard to test it out and will soon be taking it into the woods to put it through its paces. I have no doubt that this blade will perform for years to come. I hope that Ontario Knives keeps making great blades here in the US!

A Tale of Two Cities
A Tale of Two Cities
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A tale that's not so interesting, April 26, 2015
I recently decided to start reading for enjoyment again as well as watch less television. Most of the last 15 or so years has been spent reading software engineering related texts. I decided I should start with a classic like "A Tale of Two Cities" because 1. I've never read it and 2. the opening "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..." is so often quoted that I figured it must be worth the read. I got about to the fourth chapter and it just was not grabbing me. Not one bit. Frankly I was surprised that I was not enjoying it at all. So, I shelved it and popped open a different book. That book I have been reading religiously every night before I go to bed and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I am happy that I responded positively to reading the other book because I was starting to think I didn't like to read any longer!! If I would've continued to read "Tale of Two Cities" I probably would've given up on reading for enjoyment and gone back to reading technical books on software engineering. Ugh!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4