Profile for Jeff Kraus > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 335

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeff Kraus RSS Feed (Orlando, FL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WeinCell MRB625 Replacement Battery for PX625/PX13
WeinCell MRB625 Replacement Battery for PX625/PX13
Offered by Micro-Tools
Price: $5.95
5 used & new from $4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, July 24, 2015
I was given a Rollei 35 as a gift a while back, and it needed a new battery. After some looking around, I found this one and bought it. It arrived with two stickers on it: one with a pull-tab on it, and the other without. I made the mistake of removing both, and the meter in the Rollei didn't work. It turns out that the one without the pull tab is actually operating as a spacer to keep both terminals making contact. So I replaced the sticker and put the battery back in, and the meter fired right up.

I don't yet know how long it will last, but I'll update the review when I have that information. The Rollei light meter never turns off -- even with the lens retracted and the shutter locked, the meter continues to read 24 hours a day. So far it has been a month since I put the battery in, and it's still going strong. I will occasionally check against a gray card and compare to my handheld meter to ensure that it's still accurate (an inaccurate reading may be a sign that the battery is starting to weaken). So far so good.

Axe White Label Body Wash, Night 16 ounce
Axe White Label Body Wash, Night 16 ounce
Price: $3.99
19 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily, not like the sprays., July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't my first Axe shower gel. That's strange, because normally I avoid anything Axe branded since I'm not 16 and under the impression that women swoon under the influence of strange, noxious vapor trails emanating from my body like a cartoon skunk.

But the body wash is not like the sprays. I first tried an Axe body wash, purely out of necessity, because it was on sale and I was on a business trip for a month and had no personal hygiene products with me. At that time, I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that while I could still smell it on myself for the first few minutes, it was effectively gone by the time I had left the loft.

So here we are now, there's a "white label" Axe shower gel. I'm not sure what "white label" means unless we're talking about scotch, but as far as shower gels go, it works about as well as any decent shower gel I've used. And by that I mean that I got in to the shower feeling not clean, and left the shower feeling clean.

The scent is nice, I like it. It's not too nightclubby or frathouse-y or creepy, and crucially, it dissipates quickly. After 15 minutes or so you might still be able to smell it on yourself in the form of an occasional whiff, but if another person is close enough to you to be able to smell it after that amount of time then you're likely beyond the point where either of you care what your body wash smells like.

LifeProof FRE Power iPhone 6 WaterProof Battery Case - Retail Packaging - Black
LifeProof FRE Power iPhone 6 WaterProof Battery Case - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $129.99
5 used & new from $100.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Really heavy duty, but I can't use it full time, July 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm struggling a little bit with the rating for this case. Not because it's bulky or heavy, because of course it's bulky and heavy -- it has an extra battery in it!

No, my main concern is with the waterproofing. It is suggested in the instructions that you first test the case with nothing in it to ensure that the seals are correct, etc. I did that, being very careful to first ensure that everything was closed up tightly. I submerged the case for 15 to 20 minutes, and when I took it out, there was water inside. Just a couple of drops, but that's enough to be a problem. Not a good start. So I allowed it to dry completely, and the next day repeated the same process, inspecting the seals and closing everything up tight. To determine where the leak was, first I only submerged the top half. No leaks. So I submerged the bottom half. No leaks. So I submerged the entire case. No leaks this time.

So okay, with the admittedly small sample size of 2, water gets into the case 50% of the time. One failure is all it really takes for me to decide never to take the phone in the pool with me. No matter how many times it proves its waterproofiness to me in the future, the crucial issue is that I need to OPEN IT UP to put the phone in after testing it, thereby resetting its waterproof state to "unknown".

So, loss of a star for questionable waterproofing. However, any water protection at all is better than none, and I doubt that water will ever get in from a splash here and there, or rain, or whatever. That's fine with me, I don't need to play SimCity underwater, and I have a waterproof camera already.

The tactile aspect of the case takes some getting used to, because the front panel is a little "poofy". It sits up away from the screen just a tiny bit, so you need to get accustomed to using a little more force than normal for your finger to register on the screen. It's not difficult, it's just different. Fingerprint identification works fine for me every time.

The included headphone adapter is nice in that it provides an O-ring that maintains a seal with the case, allowing you to use headphones even in wet conditions, without exposing the interior of the case. The speaker output of the phone is redirected to the back of the case and actually sounds quite good, considering you're listening through a water tight seal.

Overall, for me this is definitely not a full-time case. I'm not very abusive to my phone, so a thinner, lighter case with a thin glass protector on the front is all I need for day-to-day carrying. But if I'm going to the beach, camping, or something like that, you can bet I'll be putting this case on.

Kelty Salida 2 Tent
Kelty Salida 2 Tent
Price: $141.14
18 used & new from $119.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent for the price, July 12, 2015
This review is from: Kelty Salida 2 Tent (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I learned a very important lesson after purchasing a Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 a couple of years ago. That lesson: what works well in some locations does not necessarily work well everywhere. I love the Outfitter 4, really. But I live in Florida and it's HOT in that tent. Plus, it's heavy and while I'm not going to be doing any week-long backpacking trips any time soon, I do like to walk or kayak out to a site.

The Kelty is super easy to set up, and works well with the Kelty Salida 2 Footprint which I purchased immediately after receiving the tent. In reality it's only a one-person tent for me, but I kind of expected that. There are months of the year in FL where my wife has no interest in camping anyway. The openness of the mesh top helps with the heat (at least, whenever there's a breeze present)

I do kind of wish that the rain fly would extend all the way to the ground like the Eureka's does, providing better protection from the elements, but I have yet to encounter any bad weather in this tent so the jury is still out on whether that will be a problem at all (I'm guessing not).

Minor's Sauce, Sesame, 90 oz
Minor's Sauce, Sesame, 90 oz
Price: $17.02

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, July 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After using the Minor's Zesty Orange Sauce and finding it to be what I wanted (just way too sweet), I decided to give this one a go because the description sounded a little bit closer to what I was looking for. In that respect, it didn't disappoint. This sauce is less sweet than the Zesty Orange but maintains a strong peanut flavor, adds some extra soy in there (whenever I used the Zesty Orange I was adding soy to cut the sweetness and added some peanut... so apparently, this is the sauce I wanted in the first place!), and then some heat that you don't notice until a couple of seconds later.

It's a great marinade for chicken and works well as a dipping sauce. I have a few other ideas that are rolling around in the cavernous space between my ears, and if anything comes to fruition I'll add a mention of it here in the review.

Nature's Truth Aromatherapy 100% Pure Essential Oil, Tea Tree, 0.51 Fluid Ounce
Nature's Truth Aromatherapy 100% Pure Essential Oil, Tea Tree, 0.51 Fluid Ounce
Offered by Blinko
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Similar quality to Eden's Garden, July 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have tried other similar extracts in the past, and to make an easy comparison, this smells exactly like what you'd get from the Eden's Garden Tea Tree Oil. We have some of the Eden's Garden already so I was able to do a direct comparison. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while to review because I wanted to see what the price would be, hoping that it would be in line with the Eden's Garden product (in price per ml, since the volumes differ). I'll have to wait to update the review until the product stops being "Currently Unavailable".

We've used this scent in tealight warmers and as scent in a homemade skin product, and it works well in those scenarios. If the price is right, I would buy again. If not, it's back to Eden's Garden with no qualms.

OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap - Design B (Black)
OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap - Design B (Black)
Price: $23.95
3 used & new from $23.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Strap B DOES work for the RB67 (and RZ67), July 6, 2015
There are a couple of bad reviews for this strap suggesting that "Strap B" doesn't fit the Mamiya RB67, so right off the bat let's clear that up: it fits just fine. It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but it works.

I'm going to add some photos to show how it's done on the RZ67, which uses the exact same lugs as the RB67. The main thing to remember is that the metal clip end is NOT one piece (even though it kind of looks like that at first glance). It's two pieces with a spring tension holding them together. By pressing the lug against the inside of the clip, you can force those two section to separate, widening the hole and allowing the lug to slide right into place.

Then you need to ensure that no part of the metal clip is hung up on the outside portion of the lug, If it is, press back on it toward the camera until the whole unit has cleared that circular outer portion of the lug. Then slide the black plastic piece down so that it's wedged underneath those two little tabs on the back of the metal clip. That plastic wedge ensures that the two halves of the clip can never separate by accident.

If you're still having trouble figuring it out, the packaging does suggest going to the website at optechusa. com where they have a video explaining how it's done.

Now, as far as the strap itself is concerned, it's pretty great. I haven't ever had a strap on this camera until now, so I can't really compare with other straps or the claimed 50% perceived weight reduction. I can definitely say that it makes a world of difference compared to handholding it, and it is surprisingly comfortable when wearing around the neck. The padding soft and thick, and the inside has an anti-slip surface that works well when it's slung over a shoulder. It's designed to stretch a small amount, acting as sort of a shock absorber, and I'm sure that's part of how they figure the apparent weight reduction. There's a spine along the top that keeps the stretchy part from stretching TOO far, which keeps it from turning into a spring-loaded projectile in extreme cases.

The foam portion of the strap can be removed via some heavy duty clips, so if you have multiple cameras you can just buy the ends from the company and attach the foam part to whatever camera you're using at the moment. Or you can swap out the foam part of the strap for another one. I'm not sure why you'd do that, but you can do it if you want.

Overall it's a great strap, well worth the money if you're currently handholding a beast like this.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Aura Outdoor Products AOP-FS24 All Natural Charcoal Fire Starters 24-Count for Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Weber Kettle
Price: $16.85
3 used & new from $13.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but there are too many other options, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These do a fine job of getting the charcoal started in my smoker or grill. They do just as well as the other methods that I use (specifically, either Weber FireStarter Lighter Cubes or a compressed sawdust option that's available at my local supermarket). They're safer than using the chimney starter, which I can't seem to use without showering the surrounding area with embers.

The problem is that they're just so expensive. The lighter cubes are a fraction of the cost for the same number. The compressed sawdust starters that I sometimes buy from the store are about $2 for an 8-pack, so 24 of them would cost me about $6. Another similar product comes in a 144-count box and is approximately the same price (at the time of this review) as this 24-count box. There's simply no way to justify the cost from what I can see here.

However, it does do the job.

Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Price: $24.15
17 used & new from $23.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighted tongs. Grill in the dark; Fight off Morlocks., June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's a large pair of tongs with a light in it.

Actually, it's reasonably well thought out. The light inside has an angled head to point more toward the center of the space between the two ends. Had it been flat, half of the light would have been blocked off by the metal it's attached to. The tongs have a lock so they can be stored in the closed position, and the light can be removed in case you need it for something else. The color temperature of the light is good. I don't know if you've ever been in a dimly lit incandescent environment and then tried to check meat doneness with a cooler temperature LED flashlight, but your eyes don't adjust easily and it can be hard to read the meat. This light has the right color temp, so it's not a problem.

I do wish the locking mechanism was a little tighter; right now when I'm holding the tongs closed, if I point them up a little, gravity pulls the lock into place and when I release them, they stay closed. I have to go release the lock to open them. Doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough that I notice.

Remington SFT200 Sonicfresh Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Remington SFT200 Sonicfresh Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Price: $64.99
2 used & new from $62.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird brush size but otherwise pretty good..., June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall I'm pretty happy with this toothbrush. It's not perfect, but I feel like I'm more likely to continue using this compared to the old Rotadent I had a while back even though I'm pretty sure that the Rotadent does a better job at cleaning your teeth.

The good stuff:

- Small size, while bigger than a regular toothbrush, is small enough to transport on trips.
- Unlike the Rotadent, if the battery dies it can still be effectively used as a normal toothbrush.
- The Charge base is nice, you need only drop the toothbrush in there for it to charge. No need to click into place, orient correctly, or anything like that.
- It comes with a travel case
- two week battery life means you probably won't need to bring your charger with you on short trips.
- replaceable battery means it's not worthless when the battery stops taking a charge.
- the motor is pretty strong.

The not-so-good stuff:

- The current brush heads are smaller than normal toothbrush heads, which feels weird to me.
- Replacement brush heads are a bit expensive, coming in about $7.50 a piece as of this review.
- Replacement heads are currently ONLY available in "medium" stiffness. I try to use only soft toothbrushes.
- It basically just vibrates the head. Compared to the Rotadent or the Oral-B Pro 3000 which actually rotate the bristles for an ideal cleaning similar to the instruments used at dentists' offices, this vibration seems less effective.
- The brush stops vibrating after 2 minutes, whether you're done brushing or not. If you're interested in the timer feature this makes sense, but I wish it was defeatable because I tend to spend more than 2 minutes brushing and I have to turn it back on to finish.
- I wish the power cord could be disconnected from the charge base. I can't have it plugged in all the time due to the layout of my bathroom, so it would be nice to disconnect the cord and use the base as a stand for holding the toothbrush, and just plug it in when necessary.

Most of those negatives are pretty minor. Had the brush head size been closer to that of a standard toothbrush and had they been available with a soft bristle size, I could see bumping it up to four stars. As an already very thorough brusher, I honestly don't know if the vibrating head does anything for me. I hope so. But if this thing ever dies on me for whatever reason, I might consider replacing it with that Oral-B Pro 3000.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20