Profile for Aaron Steinmetz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aaron Steinmetz RSS Feed (Sparks, NV)

Razer Hydra PC Gaming Motion Sensing Controllers Portal 2 Bundle (RZ80-00630200-B3U1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Portal 2...Not so Much for Everything Else, March 30, 2012
Length:: 3:51 Mins

Okay, this is my first stab at a video review. Sorry about the poor quality of my voiceover and overall fatness of my face. I'm working on fixing one of those problems. Won't say which.

Overall opinion: there's a lot of potential in this device, but not a lot of substance yet. Fingers crossed: the company will be around long enough to see this thing through because it could be great.

-Aaron

P.S. - Also, I had high resolution in mind when I edited this; I couldn't get this down to size to upload while keeping the text readable. Again...sorry about that. I'll do better next time.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 12:21 AM PDT

Aion Wings Guild Wars Emote
Aion Wings Guild Wars Emote
Offered by smart-gamer
Price: $0.75
7 used & new from $0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money? Sure. Still Cool for Those Who Care., February 26, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, I admit, it was a complete waste of money on what amounts to be an amusing little animation that contributes nothing to the gameplay itself (you can't even use it in any areas where killing creatures is an option) but what the heck: it amuses me, and the only other way to get it is to spend fifty-plus dollars on a game I don't even want.

Be advised, though: it doesn't do anything to your character that is useful on a gameplay level. It's purely asthetic.

EDIT: 3/2/2010

Guess what game I just bought? *sigh* Anyone wanna buy an Aion Wings Emote?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

Pickin' On Creed: A Bluegrass Tribute
Pickin' On Creed: A Bluegrass Tribute
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, I DID pay for this CD and DID enjoy it, September 15, 2008
Wow. Okay. The number of negative reviews from people who never actually listened to the album surprises me (or would if this weren't the internet) which is why I am writing this review. I feel this album has been unduly slighted by negative Nancies. I'll try to level the scales.

First, let me restate the obvious: this is not Creed. This is obvious from even a casual listening to the samples, almost as obvious as the "Bluegrass Tribute" in the title, but, since some people are upset by this vague deception, I'll be abundantly clear. THIS. IS. NOT. CREED.

What it is is a well crafted take on Creed's music. Unlike most tribute bands which attempt to duplicate the band's sound (usually failing, producing a watered-down carbon copy which makes the listener pine for the original), these guitarists have translated Creed's music to a completely different sound.

Does this sound appeal to Creed fans? Probably not. But it appeals to this one who quite enjoys the new take on their music, this Creed fan who likes all kinds of music, this fan who knows he's not alone in the world. If you like or even just appreciate various styles of music, this may be worth sampling.

Like any album Pickin' on Creed has its ups and downs; it alternates between two sounds. One is a larger band with drums and a bass, and even an electric guitar in places, though it's muted and more of a supplement to the excellent guitar work. The other sound is a more contemplative solo-feeling sound vaguely resembling the quieter moments in Firefly's soundtrack. Neither sound works all the time, but both produce great moments in what would otherwise be cacophonous guitar distortion.

It's all that, but not Creed itself. Just keep that in mind. The samples are pretty indicative of what the whole album is like, so if you don't like it, don't buy it. You'd think THAT would be obvious too but, like I said before, this is the internet...

SanDisk 8GB SDHC Memory Card (RETAIL PACKAGE)
SanDisk 8GB SDHC Memory Card (RETAIL PACKAGE)
Offered by eTECH
Price: $7.49
118 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Heed the Warning Well, March 26, 2008
It's a fine product, and it works just fine in products that support the SDHC format. However, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN your product (be it a digital camera, memory card reader or--in my case--the Palm T|X PDA which for some STRANGE reason doesn't read it) reads it. Just because your device is new doesn't necessarily mean that it will recognize SDHC cards (as opposed to the older SD cards).

If your device recognizes SDHC cards, then by all means go forth and thrash. You won't find a better card for the price.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 9:18 AM PDT

Sounds of New Orleans
Sounds of New Orleans
7 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprise Pleasure, August 30, 2006
This review is from: Sounds of New Orleans (Audio CD)
My brother received this CD as a gift from his previous employer, Verizon. It sat on his shelf for a couple years, neither of us listening to it because, hey, it's New Orleans music. Is that really any good?

On a whim he put the CD in one evening and we started listening. On retrospect it was hysterical. We were both really digging the CD, but it isn't music two mid-twenty-something bachelors listen to. It's light, it's fun, it's non-abrasive, unoffensive jazz. Not our style. But we loved it. Neither of us would immediately admit to it, so we both were sitting quietly tapping our feet and nodding our heads, neither of us willing to stick his neck out and admit to liking such light and fluffy music.

Eventually, around track six-my personal favorite-one of us 'fessed up, and we now listen to it all the time. Not, you know, in public, but privately when no one is around to hear it, we really get into it. Honestly. There's dancing and everything.

I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes small-band jazz.