Profile for Hoke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 177

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hoke RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Ten One Design Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (Silver)
Ten One Design Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (Silver)

1.0 out of 5 stars Foam tip wears out too easily, August 19, 2013
I have only had this stylus for a few months and the rubber covering has worn completely through. I barely use my pad and it should have lasted much longer. I have no recommendations for a better stylus but I would definitely take a chance on something other than this one.

Casio Men's AMW320R-1EV Marine Ana-Digi Dive Watch
Casio Men's AMW320R-1EV Marine Ana-Digi Dive Watch
Price: $50.92
28 used & new from $45.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Might want to look elsewhere, December 12, 2011
As a watch it is OK but there are a few things that I do not like about it and will keep me from purchasing it again in the future. First, I have owned this watch for less than a year and needed to replace the battery already. The back is designed to be opened with special tools so you cannot do it yourself making it a bit more costly. Second this thing is very bulky, the diameter is over 4 cm ( a bit larger than an Eisenhower dollar) and a centimeter thick (3-4 Eisenhower dollars stacked together). It takes a little getting used to as an everyday watch. Finally there is no light function on it whatsoever. This is the biggest downfall for me. There are luminous markers but they are not all that bright and it is still difficult to tell time in the dark.

On the plus side it is very durable. In the course of my work it has gotten banged up quite a bit and does not really show that much abuse. The watch face surprisingly has no scratches that I can see. The worst damage came from me trying (and failing) to remove the back to replace the battery. At the least I would recommend trying this monster on before purchasing it to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Burmese Refugees: Letters from the Thai-Burma Border
Burmese Refugees: Letters from the Thai-Burma Border
by T. F. Rhoden
Price: $12.56
25 used & new from $10.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely, Substantive, Couldn't Put It Down, September 23, 2011
I do not want to inject myself too much into this review but feel it is necessary to give it some context. I worked with T F Rhoden in Thailand as part of Peace Corps. He was part of my training group from the start which led to us collaborating on a number of projects. We have grown to be very close friends and I have the highest respect for his language abilities and understanding of culture, politics, and economics in Southeast Asia. I have a Masters degree in International Relations concentrating on developing and underdeveloped countries in particular Southeast Asia and have done quite a bit of research on the area myself. So there is my stated bias when it comes to this book.

I have read countless academic oriented books and articles on Southeast Asia but none of them were able to bring the human element to life like the letters in this short book. In less than 100 pages the people here are able to illustrate just how bad life is for them. Rather than wallowing in misery most of the writers express a vision of hope and new opportunities. These are people that have nothing but their dreams and it seems as though that is all they need to keep them going. T F Rhoden does an excellent job of providing a concise survey of the current political problems in Burma and the resulting refugee crisis. Incidentally I can state with authority on the subject that what he writes is generally accepted knowledge on the area with far more than three sources and does not need to be cited by academic standards as one reviewer complained about). T F Rhoden goes even further with adding context to the end of each of these letters and the book is much better because of it. If you want to get a firsthand account of what I consider to be one of the worst political regimes in the world and a horrible refugee problem than this book is definitely for you.

I did read one negative review that I felt needed to be addressed. Yes there are some editing errors here as this book was self published. Most of these errors are an over reliance on spell check software but do not in any way take away from the substance of the work. The timeliness of the work far outweighs this and if this book was picked up by a "legitimate" publisher I think more would be lost than gained. It also shows that he was more concerned with getting the stories out there than working out a publishing contract.

The other point the reviewer got hung up on had to do with the Mathematics teacher and the quote "She reminded me, if anything, of just your normal modern woman; or I suppose, that is what she would be if she had grown up in a prosperous civil society". The reviewer tries to point out the cultural insensitivity written here. Had she understood anything about this area she would realize how ill informed her comments were. This area is hell and completely uncivilized. The fact that the reviewer makes the leap to "Western" society eludes me as this is never mentioned and shows her own hang ups by making the assumption in the first place. Had the math Teacher grown up with Thai citizenship she would be a modern woman living in a civilized society. Any issues she has with his "ego" are nothing more than her own projections. She does not know the man and I can attest that this is not ego driven by any means. Rhoden is as down to earth as you can get and a person you would most likely want to have a beer with.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a substantive book on the struggles of Burmese refugees put together by someone who is deeply immersed in this region and the issues involved with it read this book, you will not be disappointed. If you are more interested in style and entertainment, and have more hang ups than I care to address here, then stick with the latest Oprah book of the month author because the material covered within will be completely wasted on you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

5pk NON-OEM CLI-221 PGI-220 compatible Ink Cartridge With CHIP
5pk NON-OEM CLI-221 PGI-220 compatible Ink Cartridge With CHIP
Offered by MPC Direct
Price: $0.69
36 used & new from $0.69

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP OFF DOES NOT WORK, September 13, 2011
This product is a rip off it does not work. Received the message that ink tank cannot be recognized. May have worked for others but absolutely did not for me. Wish I could attach a screen shot.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Upright, UH70120
Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Upright, UH70120
Price: $74.99
20 used & new from $57.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, September 11, 2011
I did a bit of research before I bought this vacuum and am happy to say it paid off. The vacuum really cleans deep, I emptied the canister several times in my small apartment. That is because my old vacuum was missing a lot of stuff and I just didn't realize it. There was a lot of very fine dust in the carpet after 4 years of wear. The included attachments are very nice too. There is the wand, a small brush, and micro vacuum. Each of these works really well, in fact the micro vacuum sounded like a jet engine when I turned it on. There are a few drawbacks but considering the price difference between this and other ones I looked at I can easily make due. These drawbacks include a shorter electrical cord than I would have liked and it was messier to empty than I would have thought. To remedy the cord length I had a 6' extension cord that I plan to keep attached to it at all times. That will allow me to be pretty mobile in my apartment. As for the cleaning I try to do it outside and then reattach the canister and vacuum up the dust on it. Other than that it is a great vacuum for a great price. I ended up going with this one because it was the highest rated in its category in the latest Consumer Reports and much higher than the Dyson 25 which I was also considering. Will update if anything changes down the road.

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam
by John A. Nagl
Price: $11.91
170 used & new from $1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, April 21, 2010
This book is required reading in counter insurgency courses and courses on American foreign policy. There is a very good reason in that it is an excellent primer on the problems the U.S. has faced in dealing with small wars. The U.S. Army and citizenry has become accustomed to large war campaigns that are measured in terms of land and fatalities. Opponents facing the U.S. have learned the weaknesses inherent in large institutions and found ways to effectively exploit them. This book compares and contrasts the British efforts to fight the communist insurgency in Malaysia with those of the U.S. in Vietnam. The focus of the book is that the British history of policing its territories has left its military better positioned to learn and adapt to insurgency whereas the culture of the U.S. military has failed to do this.

This book was written prior to the current Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns and its lessons have since been incorporated into U.S. strategy. The successes the U.S. has enjoyed in these campaigns have come about because it has started to learn the lessons outlined in this book.

The Ugly American
The Ugly American
DVD ~ Marlon Brando
Price: $8.88
45 used & new from $2.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book, December 31, 2009
This review is from: The Ugly American (DVD)
Read the Book!!! The book is such a rich allegory of the political events and missteps of the west that preceded the Vietnam War. It correctly predicted what would happen politically if the U.S. and the other western powers did not stop their top down approach to helping Sarkhan (Vietnam)and instead focus on the bottom up approach taken by the Ugly American - the good guy in the story and it references his physical appearance, not his actions nor his intent.

The movie, although well acted and directed, loses the richness and subtlety of the book. The movie does tell a good story and does encompass the spirit and some of the storyline of the book but it loses a lot of it once it gets to the screen. The film was shot in Thailand and the events and storyline would lead the viewer to believe the allegory is supposed to illustrate the domestic political situation in Thailand which is not the case.

The movie is still worthwhile to watch but if you have not read the book do yourself a favor and get it immediately.

Brother HL-2170W 23ppm Laser Printer with Wireless and Wired Network Interfaces
Brother HL-2170W 23ppm Laser Printer with Wireless and Wired Network Interfaces
11 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little printer, October 26, 2009
I bought this for grad school because I am always printing out articles and my ink jet is just too slow and pricy for heavy printing. Setup on my wireless was a breeze. I hooked it into my wireless router with a LAN Cable and followed the directions for setting up wireless. Turned on my network broadcast on my Linksys router and the printer showed up. The installation disk is compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate and Home Premium which is what my 2 laptops are running.

Printing was quick and quiet. I read some reviews about it having bad graphics quality but I did not notice anything too bad about it. I printed articles that had world maps and regional maps on it and I could read them with no problem. Overall I could not be happier. I was expecting the setup to be a bit stressful but I would say that it was up and running on my network in about a half an hour from opening the box to completion.

MyoTape Body Tape Measure
MyoTape Body Tape Measure
Offered by Great Price Fast Service
Price: $4.50
20 used & new from $4.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, October 3, 2009
As a tape measure it does what it is supposed to do, measure stuff. The problem with this product and it is a major one is that the pin constantly pops out of its slot. While it may not seem like a big deal at first it gets extremely annoying with repeated use. I would strongly recommend finding a different one.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but do your homework, May 26, 2009
I bought this bike as an attempt to get back into riding without spending a fortune. I used to have a Gary Fisher Mountain bike and rode it as my sole form of transportation for 2 years.

I took it out on an 8 mile bike ride to a local park and then rode it back home. I found several problems during this test ride. The wheels had problems and needed to be "trued". While in gears 3, 4, and 5 the chain slipped constantly. Finally, both the front and rear brakes were not operating properly.

I took it to a LBS and they fixed all of the problems that I just described. It was a little pricey for a new bike but after taking it out on the road again it was definitely worth it.

Chances are if you can do all the assembly and adjustments necessary to make this bike operational then it is probably a bit below your level. If you are not practiced at making these types of adjustments you should factor a trip to the LBS into your cost calculations.

Overall this bike is not bad but not quite the bargain I had hoped for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18