Profile for S. Lionel > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 211

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Lionel RSS Feed (NH USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Avery My Recipe Binder, Extra Wide 1-Inch Slant Ring, Vintage Kitchen Design (19800)
Price: $11.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Decorative, doesn't hold a lot of recipes, May 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The binder itself is rather ordinary, though the slant-ring clips do make inserting and removing pages easier. Like pretty much all cheap binders I have seen, one of the rings doesn't mesh when closed so pages will catch on it as you flip them. While the claimed capacity is large, this assumes normal (and rather lightweight) paper. Most people use plastic sleeves for recipes and the binder might hold 40-50 of these. I would have preferred thicker (maybe two inch) version.

The decorative pattern is nice, and three different versions are available. You get paper inserts for labeling and Avery provides word processing software templates to make it easier to fill them in.

ZAGG Pocket Foldable Wireless Mobile Keyboard and Stand for Apple Devices - Black (APLPOC-BK0)
Price: $69.99
19 used & new from $23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Folds up to a narrow rectangle, but uncomfortable to use, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I now have several "mobile keyboards" for phones and tablets. The Zagg Pocket is smaller than some, bigger than others. Unusually, it folds along the long dimension, creating a narrow but long rectangle. When you unfold it, it turns on automatically. The back two panels form a stand that will hold all but perhaps the largest tablets, though phones with rounded edges will be a bit unsteady. In practice, this shouldn't be an issue because the model I received supports iOS devices only, and all of those have straight edges. While the keyboard did pair with an Android phone, nothing I typed was received. Out of the box, I noticed that one of the panels was bent a bit. This didn't pose a problem in use, but it didn't look good.

The keyboard itself is not very comfortable to type on. The keys are flat, have very little travel and the legends are low contrast. Unlike other mobile keyboards I have used, there are no dedicated function keys and only a couple of function keys accessed through a separate Fn key. The spacebar is split for no particularly good reason I can think of, other than it probably makes it easier to operate with the small switches.

The form factor is a bit weird. It will fit in a pocket but will stick out of most. It will tuck into a bag or briefcase easily, but unfolding it is a bit of a chore. (I have an Anker keyboard that just unfolds, though its keys are smaller.)

My feelings about the Zagg Pocket Foldable keyboard are mixed. It does work, but has some poor ergonomic choices. It does fold up more narrowly than any other keyboard I have used, but at the cost of usability.

Swees® Amazon Kindle Voyage 6" Case Cover - Ultra Slim Leather Case For 2014 Version Amazon Kindle Voyage (Will Not Fit Kindle Paperwhite), With Smart Auto Sleep/Wake Function, Includes 2 x Free HD Clear Screen Protector, Red
Offered by sweesdirect
Price: $25.99
3 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, works well, May 10, 2015
This is my second cover for my second Voyage - I lost the first. For the first one I had bought a similar cover by Hotcool, but the Swees cover is a bit nicer in appearance. The magnetic catch is firm but not overly so, and the Kindle snaps cleanly into the case. I much prefer this style of case to the Amazon Origami style.

Halo H99ICAT, 4" Housing IC Air-Tite Shallow Ceiling 120V Line Voltage
Halo H99ICAT, 4" Housing IC Air-Tite Shallow Ceiling 120V Line Voltage
Price: $22.13
24 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits nicely in shallow ceilings, May 10, 2015
In a bathroom remodel, I needed an IC-rated can that did not need a lot of height, as it would be placed very close to the rear edge of the roof where the slope is minimal. The H99ICAT barely sticks up above the joists (I have 2x6 joists) - plenty of room. The mounting brackets are versatile, even allowing for use on a suspended ceiling grid. I just nailed them to the joists. Make sure you set the height so that the gasket sits tight against the ceiling material.

Wiring was easy - push-in connectors were supplied.

Outdoor Tech OT1700 Kodiak Mini - 2600 Mah Ruggedized Water Resistant Portable Charger/External Battery (Black)
Price: $24.95
2 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars From the School of Hard Knocks, May 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a charger, the OT1700 is fairly ordinary, with the 2600mAH capacity typical of this form factor. Its special feature is the silicone rubber sleeve that protects it against bumps and, to some degree, liquids. The charger turns on automatically when a device is connected. I was able to get about 1.1A out of it, enough that an iPad admitted to being charged, but it's really meant for phones. The charger did get warm at the higher power delivery.

The silicone case helps protect against knocks and, when the cap is closed, helps prevent water from getting in, though I would not trust it underwater. It's a good option for packing for outdoor activities and doesn't take up much room. Note that you can't charge a device when the cap is closed.

AGPtek® 4.8A 24W Dual Port High Speed USB Travel/Home Power Adapter Wall Charger with SmartID Technology, Foldable AC Plug for Apple iPhone 6 Plus, 6, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S; Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, S6, S5, S4, S3, Note 4, 3, 2; HTC One X V S M8 M9 ; iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, Air 2, Any Android Tablet, Bluetooth Speaker/Headset; [Most Powerful Fast Charger]
Offered by BrainyTrade
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets the power delivery claims, compact and attractive, May 8, 2015
I travel a lot and having a compact, two-port charger that can handle high output is a definite plus. The AGPtek charger is small, about the shape of and a bit bigger than an iPad charger, but it packs a wallop. It's rated at 4.8A and I was able to draw darned close to that from its two outlets, as measured by a Practical Meter and a Legion Meter. Even at that high output, the charger barely got warm. The "Smart" charging circuitry makes sure that devices get as much power as they need, properly negotiating with Apple and Android devices for full power delivery. The distributor sent me a charger and asked for a review.

The folding prongs have a strong latching mechanism so that they won't fold in accidentally, and the blue LED illumination is from within the body, viewable around the charging ports but not obnoxiously bright as is the case of another two-port charger I have. This one is definitely going in my travel kit!

Logitech Keys-To-Go Ultra-Portable Bluetooth Keyboard for Android and Windows, Black (920-007181)
Price: $69.99
7 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thin and comfortable to type on, May 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have quite a collection of Bluetooth keyboards. Some are dedicated for the iPad, some can handle iOS, Android and Windows, and then there's this Logitech, which is Android and Windows only - an odd combination. In any event, it's a great Android keyboard, which is how I tested it. While the keys are flat and have almost no travel, the soft, cloth-like surface made for an enjoyable typing experience and I was able to type quite a bit without difficulty or errors. There are some dedicated keys, such as one for taking a screenshot and one to lock the device.

The keyboard charges easily using a MicroUSB cable (one is included), but I found the on-off switch difficult to access with the power connected. Logitech includes a phone/tablet stand which can clip onto the top of the keyboard or stand alone - it worked well for my phone.

Typically when I see "cloth" in a keyboard description I think it will roll up, but not this Logitech. Still, it is reasonably compact and makes a good travel companion for an Android or Windows phone or tablet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2015 5:27 AM PDT

Best Silicone Heat Resistant Cooking Gloves for Barbecue Grill or Kitchen Baking - Replace Oven Pot Holders with Thin Insulated High Heat Proof Protective Mitts - By Firehouse Leisure Products
Offered by Palmetto Consultants
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $10.22

2.0 out of 5 stars One size fits some, awkwardly thick, May 5, 2015
When the distributor of these gloves offered to send them to me for review, I was looking forward to them as they sounded useful. Unfortunately, the "one size" gloves were too small for me (I don't have particularly large hands) and too large for my wife. They are also so thick as to make picking things up awkward. They certainly are heat resistant, and if they fit you, will allow you to handle very hot objects, but don't expect to be able to easily pick up utensils or even smaller pot handles.

The Newpart
The Newpart
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Canadian national treasure, April 27, 2015
This review is from: The Newpart (MP3 Music)
I have been fortunate to see and hear April Verch in concert several times, most recently in an intimate setting at a local coffeeshop where she played some of the songs found on her latest album, The Newpart. (I should really say the April Verch Band, as the two musicians she plays with are also quite talented.)

I first encountered April at the Celtic Colours festival in Nova Scotia several years ago, as she was transitioning her musical style away from more traditional Celtic-style music to the Ottawa Valley Bluegrass she now favors, and it's a happy change. April is an extremely talented fiddler, singer and clogger. I found it interesting to just listen to her clogging on The Newpart without focusing on watching, and I realized that the footwork is musical as well.

I liked all of the tracks on The Newpart. Unlike some of the other artists I heard at Celtic Colours, there's a good variety of music and sounds on the album - it doesn't all start to sound the same.

If you ever get the chance to see the April Verch Band in concert, do so - she is often on tour and her web site gives dates. Amusingly, we'll both be in Ireland this year at about the same time, but sadly we won't cross paths. I will certainly be on the lookout for future dates I can attend, but in the meantime, The Newpart is a delightful mix of tracks that showcase the band's talents.

Targus Versa Type Pivoting Hard Shell Keyboard Case for iPad Air and iPad Air 2 (THZ500US)
Price: $99.99
32 used & new from $86.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, uncomfortable keyboard, wobbles as you type, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This the fifth keyboard case/cover I have tried for the iPad Air 2 - I am typing this review on the Targus Versa Type cover. (See my reviews of Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, Kensington Key Folio Thin X3 , Belkin Slim Style Keyboard Case and Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case.) The iPad easily snaps into the plastic shell, which has a foam insert to help protect against bumps and drops. All of the ports and the speakers are exposed nicely, though there is an additional hole for the top center in the back for which there's no corresponding thing on my iPad - strange.

With the iPad in place, the combined products weigh 2 pounds 7 ounces, oddly heavy for an all-plastic affair. For comparison, the Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro case, with iPad, weighs 2lb 2.6oz.

The signature feature of the Targus is the pivoting hinge which allows you to use the tablet in "tent" mode (good for videos) and flat if you don't want to use the keyboard. The hinge is quite stiff, however, so you'll be muscling it around a lot. I also noticed that the whole assembly wobbled any time I tapped on the screen.

The keyboard is large but the keys have very little travel and are hard plastic. I found it uncomfortable to type on for long periods. There are a variety of dedicated function keys on the top row, not shared with the number keys as on the Belkin. Bluetooth pairing was easy, but only one device can be paired to it (pretty typical - the Belkin Ultimate Pro is unusual in that you can pair two devices.) The keyboard is not illuminated.

Closing the cover does cause the iPad to lock, and opening wakes it up again. As I mentioned, the hinge is stiff so you'll need two hands to do this. The keyboard base has rubber feet to prevent skidding.

As I mentioned in my review of the Belkin Ultimate Pro, it is important to me to be able to use the tablet, with the keyboard, in portrait orientation, something not possible with the Targus.

Targus claims extra "military standard" 4-foot drop protection, and that seems plausible, though there's no cushioning on the corners.

Of the various keyboard-cases I have tried, the Targus comes somewhere in the middle. Despite being all plastic, it is unusually heavy and large, and awkward to open and close. I don't care for the way the screen shakes even as I type on the keyboard and don't like the feel of the keyboard. If you are willing to spend the extra money, I think the Belkin Ultimate Pro is the better choice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20