Profile for S. Lionel > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 353

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Lionel RSS Feed (NH USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder Yellow
ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder Yellow
Price: $49.95
2 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I threw away all my other stud finders, June 20, 2014
A recent garage organizer project had me needing to find studs behind drywall, and the more traditional electronic stud finders I had kept having me drill into empty space. The Franklin ProSensor 710 is expensive, but it instantly demonstrated its worth by lighting up exactly where the studs were without needing to slide back and forth. I've since used it on several other projects and it has not failed me yet. Those other stud finders are now in the trash.

BalanceFrom High Accuracy Digital Bathroom Scale with 4.3" Extra Large Cool Blue Backlight Display and "Smart Step-On" Technology [NEWEST VERSION] (Silver)
Offered by BalanceFrom
Price: $49.95
4 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to read display, June 20, 2014
I had become very disappointed in a similarly-styled scale by Conair - within a couple of months it would often refuse to turn on and was wildly inconsistent. My search for a replacement was difficult - there were so many choices, and all of them had both praises and pans. So I held my breath and ordered this BalanceFrom model (while cringing at the silly name).

The scale seems to be very well constructed with a thick tempered glass platform and very large, clearly illuminated numbers that both my wife and I can read without glasses. We liked the "step on to turn on" method better than the Conair's tap, which often didn't work. The BalanceFrom weights seem to be accurate, though as with most scales of this nature you need to be consistent as to how you stand on it, as leaning a bit forward or back will change the reading by as much as a couple of pounds.

Agent to the Stars
Agent to the Stars
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Authors hate it when readers say this, but..., June 20, 2014
By the time I got to "Agent to the Stars", I had read quite a bit of Scalzi's works, including the entire Old Man's War series, Redshirts and some shorter works. Then I read Agent to the Stars and was head over heels in love with this book and Scalzi's writing style. It wasn't until I got to the end that I found that this was his FIRST novel, albeit one he reworked for years before publishing. Authors don't really like being told that their best work was their first...

What I liked about this one were the interesting, well-rounded characters that I could care about, the amusing interactions and clever plot ideas. It was just a joyous, fun read that left me wishing the world really worked that way.

But Mr. Scalzi can feel better when I say that I'm currently reading a later novel, The Android's Dream. and I like it just as much if not more. And while I'm not equally thrilled with everything Scalzi has written - Redshirts bugged me in various ways - there isn't anything of his I've disliked and I've continued to seek out his works. Moreover, I've turned my wife into a Scalzi fan as well and she loved Agent to the Stars as much as I did. Highly recommended.

Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut
Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut
Price: $74.95
2 used & new from $74.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of functionality yet - iOS8 will unlock more potential, June 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will start out by admitting that I am not an artist, yet I know my way around a stylus. The Pencil by FiftyThree is a very attractive and easy to hold stylus whose rubber tip glides just right on the screen of my iPad (which has a 3M screen protector - the instructions recommend not using a screen protector but it seems to work fine for me.) Unlike many other iPad styluses I have used, the Pencil's design makes it easy to control and to make delicate motions.

The real star here is the Paper app - at least once you figure out its unusual user interface. It doesn't help that the instruction leaflet packaged with Pencil is incorrect as far as how you "connect" the Pencil to Paper, and the user interface is so opaque that I had to watch half a dozen tutorial videos at the FiftyThree web site before I started getting the hang of it. Contrary to the leaflet, the connection "target" is not displayed on the main screen - you have to tap on the "53" button and then go to Pencil to get to the right place. Another leaflet packaged with Pencil is labeled "Product Manual", but it's just warnings of what not to do, the warranty and disclosures. I have yet to find any document that could truly be considered a manual for either Pencil or Paper.

For a Bluetooth stylus, the Pencil does very little with BT. As other reviewers note, it isn't pressure-sensitive, and I haven't yet found an action where pressing the tip to the screen has any specific function. The only thing I see is that if you flip the Pencil around the other end serves as an eraser. There's no way to control line width using Pencil other than speed of your stroke. However, I read recently that iOS8 will enable Pencil to register its tilt to adjust line width. This seems rather error-prone to me, but maybe folks will get the hang of it.

The Paper app is truly wondrous, once you figure out how to use it and to bring back the palette and controls, which hide themselves too easily. Using a Pencil gives you free access to many of the features of Paper, otherwise you have to buy them. I had lots of fun mixing colors and experimenting with different stroke styles. Paper comes with lots of examples of what talented artists (read, not me) can do with the app.

GreenView 21-29767 Ready2Go Spreader Lawn Food, 2500 Square Feet Coverage
GreenView 21-29767 Ready2Go Spreader Lawn Food, 2500 Square Feet Coverage
Price: $25.99
4 used & new from $20.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, but read all the directions first!, June 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The GreenView Ready2Go spreader certainly beats hauling out a rotary or drop spreader, pouring fertilizer in the hopper, pushing it around the yard and then putting the excess back in the bag. It essentially blows a pre-calibrated amount of fertilizer in front of you, with a fan. The spread is maybe a couple of feet forward and a cone-shaped pattern a foot or so wide. I found it necessary to wave the container back and forth as I was walking.

When you get it, it looks as if the instructions are visible on the back label, but the real instructions are inside after you peel off the outer page. You first have to remove the bottom dispenser part, peel off a seal, and reinstall. The instructions say that you need to pull a tab that protects the batteries, but on the unit I received, there was no tab and the batteries had shaken loose during shipment and bent one of the terminal springs. So that was a few minutes of fussing with it to get the batteries back in place correctly.

I noted that there was a plastic half-disc that rotated in the dispenser mechanism, seemingly unconnected to the on-off slider. It seemed to me that this could be used to regulate how fast the product dispensed, but the instructions were silent on that. Since GreenView claims it is pre-calibrated, and there's no marking on this disc, I have no idea if I was really putting down the correct amount of fertilizer.

One can refill the jug with whatever kind of granulated fertilizer you want, which is nice, and the batteries are standard AA and replaceable. For smaller yards such as mine, this is pretty handy.

Lifecharge Juicypack 2600 Mah Portable Charger USB External Battery Power Pack for Iphone 5s, 5c, 4, 4s, Galaxy S5, S4,s3, Note 2,nexus 4, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Moto X, Smartpohnes, Samsung Phones, Lg Phones and Other Usb-charged Devices (Note- Apple Cables Not Included) - 365 Days Lifecharge Warranty (Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact power when you need it, June 10, 2014
The Lifecharge Juicypack 2600 mAh charger is small and light enough to be easy to carry wherever you need it. There are no controls - just plug in a USB cord (a short one is included with a MicroUSB plug on the other end which can be used either for charging the battery or powering a device) and it turns on. I found it was rather slow in charging my iPhone 5S, at about 2W, but with the smaller capacity I would not expect a higher charging rate. It did the job, though I found it took a long time to recharge the pack itself. The manufacturer sent me the charger and asked for a review.

Lifecharge Juicypack 10400 Mah Portable Charger Dual USB External Battery Power Pack for Iphone 5s, 5c, 4, 4s, Ipad Air, Galaxy S5, S4,s3, Note 3, Note 2,nexus 4, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Moto X, Smartpohnes, Tablets, Samsung Phones, Lg Phones, Go Pro and Other Usb-charged Devices ( Note- Apple Cables Are Not Included) - 365 Days Lifecharge Warranty (Blue)
Offered by Hope's Store For Fun (No Sales Tax)
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $59.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of capacity, charges two devices at once, June 10, 2014
The Lifecharge Juicepack 10400 mAh charger is fairly typical of its type, with two USB power outlets and MicroUSB charging. In addition to the four, fairly bright charge status lights, it also offers two white LEDs which can illuminate, serving as sort of a flashlight, if you want. They aren't very bright. The manufacturer sent me the charger and asked for a review.

Though the USB outlets are labeled as 2A and 1A, I found that they both charged my iPad at about 5 watts (1A), according to my PracticalMeter. A 2.1A wall charger delivered about 7 watts at the same charge level.

The Juicypack isn't any larger than it needs to be, and isn't fancy, but it gets the job done, and it has a much larger capacity than most other battery packs.

Duracell LR44 1.5V Button Cell Battery 10 pack (Replaces: LR44, CR44, SR44, 357, SR44W, AG13, G13, A76, A-76, PX76, 675, 1166a, LR44H, V13GA, GP76A, L1154, RW82B, EPX76, SR44SW, 303, SR44, S303, S357, SP303, SR44SW) "Duracell Brand Name Batteries"
Offered by MYBATTERYSUPPLIER
Price: $7.91
6 used & new from $7.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Correct battery, properly packaged, June 3, 2014
When I went to look for LR44 (actually, 1154) batteries I was dismayed by reviews at different sellers on Amazon that they received poorly packaged or dead batteries. So I decided to spend a bit more and buy these. What I got was 10, individually carded Duracell batteries, a box of six cards plus four others, shrink-wrapped in a bundle. The batteries had "best before" dates three years out, which is not unusual, though maybe a bit shorter than what I expected. The two I installed worked fine.

Coast HP1 Focusing LED Flashlight
Coast HP1 Focusing LED Flashlight
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, bright, bright! (HP1), May 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't think I've ever used an AA-powered LED flashlight as bright as the Coast HP1 (220 lumen version). It's brighter than the three-D-cell (non-LED) Maglite I have, and brighter than all the three-AAA multi-LED models around the house. Even better, the slide-to-focus mechanism doesn't produce a dark center the way many adjustable flashlights do.

The HP1 has no fancy modes - just on and off - but that's fine with me. The body is solid in the hand and the milling of the metal very grippy. If I had to find one thing to complain about it's that the spring clip is so strong that it would probably damage a shirt pocket. Better to put this on a belt or maybe jeans pocket.

Smartcatcher Contemporary Cat Litter Box Mat Bullseye Collection Silver and Black
Price: $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Traps a lot of litter, very easy to clean, not rubber, May 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our cats do tend to track litter throughout the house, but the litter box mats we have tried before failed because the cats didn't like to step on them. The Smartcatcher mat didn't have that problem, though for the first few days our cats did tend to jump over it. But once they accepted it, it picked up a lot of litter and it just shakes out with ease.

The mat is made of 100% vinyl, which is good for two reasons. First, cats tend to pee on rubber mats, because rubber smells like urine to them. Second, rubber mats tend to discolor vinyl flooring, which our litter boxes are on. We've had the Smartcatcher mat down for a month now and there's no sign of any discoloration, and a gentle shake makes the mat look as good as new.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20