Profile for S. Lionel > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 354

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Lionel RSS Feed (NH USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tile for iOS - For Finding Anything and Everything (Retail Packaging)
Tile for iOS - For Finding Anything and Everything (Retail Packaging)
Price: $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but consider alternatives, November 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While Tile is new to Amazon, I've had a set of four for many months now as I backed Tile when it was crowdfunded, so I have quite a bit of experience with it. And, earlier, I got several Stick-N-Finds, which are similar Bluetooth trackers, though there are differences.

The Tile tracker itself is a bit chunky but not so much so that it inhibits its usefulness. I have one on a keyring for my shed lock, as I sometimes misplace that. Another is in my camera backpack and a third in my briefcase. Truthfully, I don't tend to misplace the latter two, but sometimes when I am at conferences it's helpful to find where my briefcase got moved. I have tried both Tile and Stick'N'Find as luggage trackers, and in my experience that's not a a good use of them as by the time the app sees that the tracker is in range, I already have my suitcase. (What works better for me in this situation is Trakdot Luggage Tracker)

Some things I like about Tile are that it is sealed and water resistant, and that the app (I use iOS) is easy to use, including the option of taking a picture of the thing you've attached the Tile to. The app gives you a relatively coarse display of how close you are to the Tile, unlike Stick-N-Find which will show you all the available tags and their relative distances. On both you can activate an audio alarm, but the Tile's is very faint and you won't hear it unless it is exposed and near. (The Stick-N-Find, with its speaker exposed to the outside, is much louder and also flashes a light.) The Tile offers a "lost" mode which is said to allow it being "found" by other Tile users. I'm somewhat skeptical of how useful this is in practice.

The sealed design of Tile, while it does add some ruggedness, also means that the battery is not user-replaceable (unlike Stick-N-Find.) The battery is said to last about a year, after which you have to return the Tile to the manufacturer for replacement. (I cannot find, on the Tile web site, any hint of how much this would cost.)

One feature Stick-N-Find offers that Tile does not is an alert when the tracker comes into range. But Tile also remembers the last place the app saw the tracker, which Stick-N-Find does not. It's a rather coarse location (street and city), but it's better than nothing. Stick-N-Find also offers a "leash" function which alerts you if the tag goes out of range, Tile does not. (But Tile could add these features in an app update.)

One interesting difference is that Stick-N-Find has updatable firmware - mine have had several updates. Tile doesn't seem to offer that (or at least there have been no updates in all the time I've had Tiles.)

Neither Tile nor Stick-N-Find are perfect. They each have pros and cons, but they both serve the same general purpose. Look at them both, as well as other Bluetooth trackers out there, to see what works best for you. If you have questions about Tile, feel free to ask in the comments and I'll be glad to help if I can.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 5:35 PM PST

iPhone 6 Case, GMYLE Genuine Leather Cover Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch Display) - Black Leather Slim Hard Back Case
Offered by gigacity_amn
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper!, November 23, 2014
I am a phone case junkie - every time I buy a new phone, I go through a series of cases until I find one I really like. And so it was with the iPhone 6. I bought two cases and manufacturers sent me others, including this one, for review. I had not really considered the leather case style before, though I know of several iPhone owners who like the Apple leather case.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the GMYLE case. The leather is smooth and unblemished, and has just enough grip to work well. I see another reviewer complained about the buttons, but the buttons on my sample looked and worked fine - much better than the hard-to-feel locations on some of the bulkier cases. The case snaps on to the phone just fine and is secure - all the ports at the bottom are exposed so there will be no issues with docks or larger cables (on one case I bought, I had to Dremel out the charging port to accommodate the larger Amazon Basics Lightning plug.)

With most of the cases I get for review I give them away when I am done. Not the GMYLE case, though - I'm keeping this one!

APLWL USB 2.0 A to Micro B Cable 3FT-PVC jacket-Purple
APLWL USB 2.0 A to Micro B Cable 3FT-PVC jacket-Purple
Price: $5.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice color, decent cable, November 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty average USB cable, though the color is nice and the construction is a bit above average, It is adequate for pretty much all uses of a cable with these connectors.

Premium High Speed HDMI Retractable Cable, 1.3 meters (4.25 feet) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return Channel - in Retail Package
Offered by Jonaca
Price: $12.98
2 used & new from $12.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and works well, November 10, 2014
When I ordered this, some of the reviews had me thinking it was much larger than it ended up being. The spool is only two inches across. Yes, the cable connectors stick out the end, but one can stick a rubber band around the outside and hold them against the spool to take up less room. I intend to use this when I travel so that I can play movies from my tablet. The cable itself worked well and seems well-constructed.

Monoprice 107703 HDMI Micro Connector Male to HDMI Connector Female Port Saver Adapter (107703)
Price: $5.39
16 used & new from $1.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, November 10, 2014
This little adapter works quite well - I saw no artifacts or other resolution issues when using it to connect an Android tablet to my TV.

VSTN ® Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840 FHD ultra-thin Smart Cover Case, Only fit Acer Iconia A1-840 FHD tablet (For Acer Iconia A1-840 FHD, White)
Offered by Vostrostone
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and fits great!, November 10, 2014
This is a fantastic case for the Tab 8 - it fits perfectly, with all the openings lining up, looks good, and the folding cover works very much like the Apple Smart Cover as a stand (no magnetic sleep/wake, though). The case magnetically closes and opens easily.

Lysol Cling Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Ocean Scent, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Lysol Cling Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Ocean Scent, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $17.24
8 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, smells nice, November 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The idea of a product claiming to kill germs in a toilet bowl is rather incongruous and I don't put much stock in it. But as a toilet bowl cleaner, Lysol Cling Gel works well - the bottle shape and the thickness lets the cleaner cling to the underside of the rim making it easier to clean. The scent is pleasant and not overpowering and the bowl cleans well.

Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840FHD-197C 8.0-Inch Full HD Tablet
Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840FHD-197C 8.0-Inch Full HD Tablet
Price: $204.67
2 used & new from $204.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of goodness inside, and lots of bloatware, November 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My previous experience with Android tablets was a Dell Venue 8 I bought a year ago. While the tablet generally operated fine, it would drain its battery overnight and I sent it back. Now I've got this Acer Iconia Tab 8 that has a newer Intel processor inside. I like this one a lot better!

For the price, you get a lot - a speedy quad-core processor that never lagged in any of the apps I tried it with. The "zero air gap" screen is bright, crisp and colorful, and the physical design of the tablet is thoughtful (unlike the Dell with its power connector on the left side, making charging in a case impossible.) This model has a "full HD" screen, the faster of the Atom processors Acer offers, and 2GB of RAM. It has 16GB of storage, but only half of this is available for your use as Acer has seen fit to cram the Tab 8 full of bloatware such as WildTangent Games, Booking.com and more. Worse, you can't remove any of the bloatware - the best you can do is hide it and prevent it from running. Good thing there is a MicroSD slot for storage expansion. While the manual says it can be up to 64GB, I think this is incorrect as it's SDHC which maxes out at 32GB.

Acer also includes 802.11a 5GHz WiFi with two antennae for better performance, but not 802.11ac. The speakers are perhaps a weak point, the audio is thin and tinny.

Oh yeah, the Tab 8 is "Intel Inside" instead of ARM. In all my testing, everything ran just fine on the Atom processor. If it didn't have a sticker on the back you'd hardly know it otherwise. Battery life is fine.

The Tab 8 comes with Android 4.4 "KitKat". It installed a bunch of updates when I first brought it online, including Android 4.4.2. I assume that Android 5 "Lollipop" will come eventually.

I think the Tab 8 840FHD is a great tablet and a great bargain.

Pride by Instinct Cheshire's Recipe with Chicken and Chickpeas Dry Cat Food 5.0 lb Bag
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars My cats like it, I don't, November 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Cats are carnivores. Their diet requires meat. And if there's not enough meat in their diet, the nutrition needs lots of supplements. The Pride by Instinct food caters to humans with claims of "gluten free", "grain free", and atypical cat diet ingredients such as pumpkin seeds and apples. To me, this is all aimed at making the human feel good without a lot of concern for what the cat needs.

There are two ingredients in this food that give me pause (not paws). The first is the primary ingredient, "chicken meal". This is otherwise known as "chicken by-product", where the whole chicken, bones, beak, organs and all, is cooked, pulverized and dried. While this is common in cat food, having it as the primary ingredient bothers me. The other odd ingredient is Montmorillonite Clay. Clay? In a cat food? From my research, it seems that Instinct used to claim that this clay had a beneficial effect, absorbing toxins or some such. Nowadays they just say it is an anti-caking agent, though I can't imagine why that would be needed.

There is the usual assortment of vitamins and minerals, and the all-important (for cats) Taurine. But there's also broccoli, apple cider vinegar and blueberries. Not what I expect to see in cat food.

The kibble pieces are a bit on the small side, and some of my cats had trouble picking it up with their mouths. They liked the taste ok, and I had them on it for a week, but I could tell that they preferred their normal food and when I ended the trial they ate more.

If you're the kind of cat owner who believes your cat should eat his fruit, vegetables and chickpeas, then perhaps you'll like this. But I prefer to feed my cats food closer to what their bodies need.

DE 2600mAh Powerbank-Portable Battery Charger- with 3 Function Flashlight (In Retail Packaging)
Offered by Filltech
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good charger and excellent flashlight!, November 4, 2014
As a charger, the DE Powerbank is pretty typical for its class - a 2600mAh battery in a cylindrical case, with a MicroUSB charging port, a regular USB port for connecting devices, and a status LED. Nothing particularly special here, though the cylinder is very classy in matte black with silver rings, and as a charger, it works fine. It charges at up to 5W which means it will do a phone fine but not a tablet, Again, pretty typical.

Ah, but what's this at the other end? A flashlight! Ok, that's not uncommon either - I have perhaps half a dozen chargers of various configurations that add an LED or two and call it a flashlight. But that's not what we have here. This thing is BRIGHT and focused - its light rivals LED flashlights that cost as much as the charger does. You turn it on by pressing the button that also is the status LED. Subsequent presses give you a dimmer light, a flashing light, and then off.

The combination is great - a perfectly fine phone charger with a super-bright and usable flashlight. I like it! The manufacturer sent one to me and asked for a review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20