Profile for Molly's & Kate's Momma > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Molly's & Kate's Momma RSS Feed (Silicon Valley, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Food Made Fast: Weeknight (Williams-Sonoma)
Food Made Fast: Weeknight (Williams-Sonoma)
by Melanie Barnard
Price: $13.00
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Many excellent recipes, July 5, 2011
We love this cookbook and a number of the recipes are now in our standard dinner rotation. This cookbook is worth buying and cooking from!

Food Made Fast: Slow Cooker (Williams-Sonoma)
Food Made Fast: Slow Cooker (Williams-Sonoma)
by Norman Kolpas
Price: $15.35
137 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Dishes are VERY underflavored, July 5, 2011
I was excited when I purchased this book, but have been disappointed with almost every recipe that I have made from this cookbook. Most of the food is extremely under flavored and produces an inferior result. I got a better batch of recipes for a slow cooker from a betty crocker pamphlet I bought at the super market. Skip this cookbook.

King Arthur Flour Cookie Mix, Gluten Free, 16 Ounce (Pack of 3)
King Arthur Flour Cookie Mix, Gluten Free, 16 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $22.98
15 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful cookie mix!, April 21, 2011
This is truly a wonderful cookie mix. We used it to make chocolate chip cookies and they tasted very very close to cookies made with gluten flours. My kids, who can eat gluten, loved these cookies. I've tried a lot of gluten free mixes, usually with disappointing results - these do not disappoint.

Gluten-Free Baking with The Culinary Institute of America: 150 Flavorful Recipes from the World's Premier Culinary College
by Richard J. Coppedge
Price: $16.05
96 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cookbook, March 4, 2011
This cookbook is amazing. I love the discussion on the uses and replacements for gluten. There's no doubt that the recipes in this book are time consuming and costly (many ingredients and steps) so I don't use it for everyday baking.

However, if you want to make something special, that is high quality and tastes great even for people who eat gluten - this is a cookbook you will want to have on your shelf.

I made the chocolate caramel macadamia nut torte at Xmas and it was absolutely amazing. I am the only one in my extended family who has to eat gluten free, but everyone parents, in-laws, ate the torte and loved it. Most went back for 2nds and 3rds.

Schar Naturally Gluten-Free Classic White Bread Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)
Schar Naturally Gluten-Free Classic White Bread Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)
Price: $32.95
4 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good GF Bread + Recipe Adaptations, March 1, 2011
I am really happy with this bread. The bread gets a nice crust and pretty good flavor.

When I make my bread, I'm more successful in the oven rather than the bread maker. It's absolutely key that you put a pyrex of water in the rack under the bread pan when you bake this bread - otherwise you get a pretty tough and dry crust. Be sure to put the pyrex in the oven when you preheat the oven. That way when the bread dough goes in, the oven is already humid. Obviously you can't do that in the bread maker - so oven is the only way to go.

I have also found that adding an extra 1/2 cup of water gives the bread a bit more volume. I also add 2 tbls of honey - this is not much in terms of sweetness, but it does mellow out any unusual flavors that are always found in GF bread.

If you're new to GF, this a great bread to try.

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.98
14 used & new from $25.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum - Excellent Cake - I'd make this even if I didn't need to be gluten free!, August 13, 2010
All I can say is WOW!

This cake is great. I actually like this cake better than the gluten boxed cakes because of the great chocolate flavor and the denser texture. I made cupcakes with mix. I got about 15 cupcakes total - which I like better than the regular cake mixes b/c I end up with way too many cupcakes.

I frosted them with homemade cream cheese frosting and they were wonderful. My friends at work (4 of them) couldn't tell they were gluten free.

This is a wonderful cake mix!

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.28
12 used & new from $26.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Good taste, crumbly texture, August 13, 2010
I am definitely going to buy these again. The taste was on par for non-gluten boxed cookie mixes, if a bit crumbly in texture. My very picky gluten eating kids loved the cookies and said they would eat them again.

A couple of notes on making them. First, I added about a 1/2 teaspoon extra of vanilla, about a 1/2 tsp of additional water. The extra fluid made the cookie dough more pliable and allowed me to use my cookie scoop. The vanilla flavor was excellent in the baked cookies. I ended up with about 2 dozen cookies using my larger cookie scoop. I made the 1st dozen using my silpat - and the cookies did NOT turn out at all. They were not cooked properly and they didn't brown up at the edges. I made the 2nd dozen using parchment paper and they turned out great! They spread nicely and browned up beautifully at the edges. So, next time, no silpat - parchment paper only!

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.98
10 used & new from $25.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cake!, August 13, 2010
Glad to have a boxed cake that tastes so good and that you can buy at regular grocery store! I used it to make a chocolate chip loaf cake for a gathering of volunteers at my house. Everyone who ate the cake said that they would not have suspected it was gluten free.

Glutino Gluten Free Crackers, Multigrain, 4.4 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Glutino Gluten Free Crackers, Multigrain, 4.4 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $22.45
11 used & new from $22.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cracker - Strong, but not overwhelming fennel flavor, July 21, 2010
Good solid cracker - I'd say it's like a water cracker with a strong fennel flavor. The fennel flavor was unexpected at first, but I've grown to like these. They taste great with some plain brie. I'll definitely buy these again.

Erewhon Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal, Gluten Free, Organic, 10.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Offered by Beautiful Brands
Price: $49.28
3 used & new from $36.97

1.0 out of 5 stars YUCK!, July 19, 2010
Since going GF for celiac, I've tried a number of products that have been good and bad. This one is definately HORRIBLE! The cocoa crispies are not even sweet. They have a horrible aftertaste and don't even taste like chocolate. I threw the bowl out after taking a couple of bites. It was that bad.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 6:01 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2