Profile for Sunshine Alternative Mama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sunshine Alternative Mama RSS Feed (Sunny So Cal)

Page: 1 | 2
rooCASE Dual Station Leather Folio Case for iPad 1st Generation (Magenta)
rooCASE Dual Station Leather Folio Case for iPad 1st Generation (Magenta)
Offered by VAKOO

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Perfectionist, July 14, 2010
Let me start by saying that I really *like* this case. I looked all over for case to use on a trip and found this to be the best-designed reasonably-priced case that was currently available to ship.

Pros:

~ The rooCASE seems well-designed
~ The iPad fits into the rooCASE very well
~ The iPad is comfortable to hold when it is in the rooCASE
~ The magenta color is attractive (somewhat more fuschia than magenta)
~ The pebbled leather looks very nice and has an even grain
~ The iPad looks great in rooCASE
~ The rooCASE/iPad combo is very sturdy when propped for viewing (unlike Apple case which was very wobbly)
~ Overnight processing/shipping through PC Microstore actually arrived overnight, something that rarely works for me when I use Amazon Prime next day delivery

Cons:

~ The rooCASE has somewhat less than careful finishing, including slightly crooked corners
~ The smooth Interior suede had dark bluish staining in one area
~ The rooCASE exterior arrived with several pressure indentations in the leather (these would probably occur over time, but don't belong on a brand new case)
~ The strap closure is slightly in the way when propped for viewing, casting a shadow on the screen.

All of these "cons" are very nit-picky; I think most people would be very satisfied with the rooCASE. Compared to the other options I had this case is far superior.

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, 19-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.28
12 used & new from $26.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good For a Mix, July 12, 2010
If I was just judging these as gluten-free chocolate chip cookies I'd give them no more than 3 stars, but going against other mixes they are easy to make (even by children), and are relatively inexpensive, making them a 4 star product as long as people aren't comparing them to homemade. They are slightly gritty from the rice flour and they don't hold together exceptionally well, plus they fall apart the next day. But they do well when eaten partially frozen and actually make a decent cookie for a GF ice cream sandwich. For slightly less spreading use Spectrum shortening instead of butter.

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.98
10 used & new from $25.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Cake For Busy Gluten Free Cooks, July 10, 2010
Kudos to Betty Crocker for jumping into the growing gluten free marketplace with a reasonable price, good-tasting product. For those who don't usually like mixes, especially from large food corporations, let me say that this mix has nothing artificial in it and just brings together the gluten free ingredients would buy yourself. You even add your own vanilla ~ nothing artificial. I have served these as cupcakes to people who *can* eat gluten and those people either said they were indistinguishable or preferable to regular cupcakes.

The cakes do easily over-bake, and do dry out within one day (as do many gluten free baked goods), so I give them a 4 star rating.

Pyrex 1072164 Storage 18-Piece Round Set
Pyrex 1072164 Storage 18-Piece Round Set
Offered by A REAL GREAT DEAL
Price: $42.99
5 used & new from $35.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Storage Set, July 10, 2010
We have purchased these containers over several years now and needed more, so we grabbed this set from Amazon. The lids fit far tighter than they did in the old "Martha Stewart Everyday" incarnation and can be hard to put on and take off without breaking a fingernail, but once on you do feel that they are quite secure. The biggest issue I have with them is that lids eventually crack and tear around the edges and then you have bowls without lids, hence needing to buy more. I've also started spotting the containers (minus lids) at thrift stores, so I'm not the only one with this problem. Oh, and you can't microwave the lids, either. I've moved on to buying vintage refrigerator dishes with glass lids. But they are a nice basic way to get away from 100% plastic containers and are sold at a very good price.

We also use them as serving dishes for salads, fruits, etc. and they are great for this ~ they go with everything.

Aluminum Notebook Laptop Computer Travel Briefcase Executive Attache
Aluminum Notebook Laptop Computer Travel Briefcase Executive Attache

4.0 out of 5 stars It Did the Job, July 10, 2010
I bought this case for my dad and within 2 weeks I noticed that it was dented. I asked my dad if it had arrived damaged in shipping and he said no, that he had already dropped it! But the laptop was safe and unharmed so the case certainly served its purpose, and it still functions just fine.

Premier Gentle Leader Head Dog Collar
Premier Gentle Leader Head Dog Collar
Price: $5.00 - $101.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For Every Dog, July 10, 2010
I wanted to love this head collar, as my 80# male German Shepherd is doing fine with his, but my 45# female German Shepherd managed to break hers within two weeks of purchase. She was walking very nicely on it, but faced with wanting to make contact with barking neighbor dogs it finally failed. Luckily we were on our own street, and the dogs in question were behind a fence, but it was frightening all the same. Had we been on a busy street I could have lost my dog! I wouldn't recommend this collar to anyone now.

Featherweight 221 - The Perfect Portable: And Its Stitches Across History, Expanded Third Edition
by Nancy Johnson-Srebro
31 used & new from $19.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, July 10, 2010
I'll be honest ~ a lot of the information in this book can be gleaned from various websites online. What this book has going for it, though, is the author's voice as she explains her research process. As the owner of two 221s and a 222K I really enjoyed reading this book and I am sure I will refer back to it.

Glutino Gluten Free Crackers, Original, 4.4 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Glutino Gluten Free Crackers, Original, 4.4 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $23.58
10 used & new from $23.58

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Cracker ~ Great For Recipes, July 10, 2010
We use these crackers on a limited basis; they are great for packing in a picnic lunch when others will be having sandwiches, and they add crunch to split pea soup. They are really great, however, in meat loaf if you can't have gluten -or- yeast, or in meatballs, or any other recipe that calls for crushed crackers.

Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Maple Buckwheat Flakes Cereal, 10 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Offered by Teas n Treats
Price: $40.01
7 used & new from $36.50

4.0 out of 5 stars The 10 Year-Old Likes Them, July 10, 2010
My 10 year-old son can't have gluten, which makes most breakfast cereals a no-go. However, he really likes these, and I'm okay with them as well. They are made with organic ingredients, are low in sugar, and provide daily fiber. They also stay really crunchy in milk. They aren't his number one favorite, hence only giving them 4 stars, but he does eat them happily when that is the available choice. Personally, I think they are rather cardboard-like and much prefer the Arrowhead Mills Sweetened Brown Rice Flakes which aren't quite as thick.

City Walks with Kids: San Francisco: 50 Adventures on Foot
City Walks with Kids: San Francisco: 50 Adventures on Foot
by Leslie Crawford
Edition: Cards
19 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Set of Cards ~ Better Than a Guidebook, July 10, 2010
I bought these for my 10 year-old son in preparation for a trip to San Francisco and he looked through them all and chose the ones that appealed to him the most. At first he had half the deck, but he soon whittled it down to 8 must-see-and-do things. He was so engaged in planning for the trip and got really excited about something that really hadn't interested him at all. As for the parents, these are so easy to tuck into a bag and sure beat carrying around a heavy guidebook. As a plus, there is information on each card as to how to reach your destination via public transportation.

Page: 1 | 2