Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Derrel > Reviews

Browse

Derrel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Derrel RSS Feed

Oh My God! The Scientific Evidence for God's Existence
Oh My God! The Scientific Evidence for God's Existence
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I first I thought it was a parody...., September 7, 2015
This book misstates science, misstates theology, and draws numerous unwarranted conclusions. At first, I thought the book was a parody, then I realized it wasn't. For example, the author spends a bit of time writing about his point that "God created all plants for people to know what they should use them for." To back this up, he writes, "Have a look at a tomato shape and its inside. It's red and has four chambers, just like a human heart.Scientist found that a chemical substance in tomatoes, called lycopene, was a blood cleanser and a great cure for heart [sic], just like many other red and purple plants." He then goes on to give other examples about how you can look at a plant and know what it's good for, then follows up with, "It is obvious that God made the plants to resemble organs they are designed to cure and to improve their function." The book is replete with examples where the science is wrong and the theology is misunderstood.

Micro USB Charger, Eversame 10-Pack Colorful 3Ft 1M Nylon Braided USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B Data Sync and Charging Cable Cord For Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus/Note 5, HTC, LG and More
Offered by Eversame
Price: $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Upside down., January 17, 2015
I think they are cute, but the molded end pieces are upside down in that the symbols indicating the plug are on the bottom instead of the top. It doesn't affect charging, but it does affect your ability to plug them in if you are used to looking at the symbols - and most people are.

Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Built-In Alarm, Bright Brass, BE469 CAM 605
Price: $199.00
26 used & new from $155.32

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrectly assembled at factory - and other issues., October 19, 2014
With a name like Schlage, you would expect it, and the support, to be good. Sigh. This is my basic sequence:

1. The electronics portion would not fit over the tang on the tumbler because the nipple (upset portion) was 180 degrees from where it should be. Waste 30 minutes confirming this is really the problem and not some screwup on my part.

2. Called the Schlage help line since they clearly state, that you should call customer support instead of returning the product.

3. Schlage support line is closed because because it is after 3PM on a Saturday. Apparently, they only care about professional locksmiths since they are not set up to support evenings or weekends throughout the U.S.

4. Went to the Schlage answers page at http://answers.schlage.com. No answers - just a video on how to install and other information that really doesn't address the problem. .

5. I Google and find the Amazon review on this very product where a reviewer had the problem and told how to fix it. What amazed me - the review is over a year old and THE PROBLEM IS A FACTORY ASSEMBLY PROBLEM. It's a known problem and Schlage couldn't be bothered to post information how to fix it. Thanks, Schlage!

6. I follow the fellow reviewer's direction and have the problem solved in five minutes. (Do you think Schlage will pay me for my time to solve their problem? Nooooo. Do you think they will even call? Noooo.)

7. Get lock installed and, miracle of miracles, it sets up just fine, and connects to my Nexia just fine! YEAAA!

8. Oops - firmware upgrade required according to Nexia, so I start the process. and it fails. I start the process, and it fails. I start the process, and it fails. You get the picture.

9. Run connectivity test - 100%.

10. Try firmware upgrade again. And again. Look closely and realize the stickers say my FW is dated 9/22/2014. Now puzzled sincI am not getting the information through Nexia. Schlages help information on firmware updates? They say you can only update through Nexia, but not what to do if the update fails.

11. Write this review so I can link to it in my registration. I do not expect to hear from Schlage since it appears they shipped a faulty product, they knew they had these problems, and they can't be bothered to document them. If I do hear from them, I will update.

Canon SX40 HS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch Vari-Angle Wide LCD
Offered by ArchStanton
Price: $339.99
44 used & new from $179.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price., September 2, 2012
I hadn't been shooting photos on trips for quite a while, but I had an opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in Cambodia, and figured I should replace my Sony Cybershot F707. (The Cybershot still works and does great pictures, but I wanted something with more than 5MB max photo size and one that could take video at higher definition.)

I have shot about 1500 photos and quite a few videos with the SX-40 and I love it. I tend not use manuals so I still don't have quite all the features down, but this camera did a great job, even in some of the darker corners of the temples. One thing I loved was being able to swing out and rotate the view panel so I could hold the camera almost on the ground or above my head and still be able to see what I was framing. Low light performance was good, and I got several great shots of the night life by setting the camera down and triggering the shutter.

A couple of hints:

1. Buy a spare battery when you buy the camera - it costs a bit over 10 bucks but is well worth it. Using the flash and lots of zooming and focusing meant I only got a couple of hundred shots and some videos before the icon started blinking, but the spare battery and charger easily fit into the camera case I bought.

2. I got a couple of 32Gb cards - I still haven't gone through half of one, but the spare fits nicely in the case.

3. I bought the Case Logic DCB-304 High/Fixed Zoom Camera Case, and found it to provide the protection without being too bulky, and it holds the USB cable in case I need to plug the camera into a computer.

Overall, well worth the money.

Netgear WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR4500-100NAS)
Netgear WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR4500-100NAS)
Offered by E-deals 4U
Price: $80.99
54 used & new from $30.49

2.0 out of 5 stars QoS inadequate, July 6, 2012
I unboxed this with great anticipation, did a little setup, plugged it in, restarted all of my network equipment, and prepared to be blown away. Alas, it was not to be. My speed check to my ISP showed less than half the bandwidth that I was showing on my original router - and my original router was showing my provisioned speed of 50Mbps down and 2Mbps up. I figured that maybe it was a QoS issue, so I went into the QoS settings to configure priorities and.... big disappointment.

QoS can only be configured using ports, MAC addresses, or LAN IPs. There is no way that I could find to set QoS based on external IPs. This is critical because I have a couple of backup services (Backblaze and SpiderOak) on multiple computers that use port 443 - the standard SSL port for web surfing. In my current router, I just set the QoS for the external IP range for the services to the lowest value and nobody knows when these are running. Without that QoS setting, a backup can nail my uplink.

I returned the router.

Lorell Executive High-Back Chair, Mesh Fabric, 28-1/2"x28-1/2"x45, BK
Lorell Executive High-Back Chair, Mesh Fabric, 28-1/2"x28-1/2"x45, BK
Price: $150.74
52 used & new from $97.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly decent, but lacks range of motion, September 13, 2011
I ordered this based on the reviews, and some people do love the chair. For me, the chair was easy to put together as everything was included. However, I found two problems. First, the chair does not seem to rise as high as other chairs, which is a minor issue for me. However, the biggest issue is that when the seat is released, it doesn't rock back very far--the seat hits the stops just past horizontal so it feels like it only rocks half way. I find that annoying. The back doesn't provide any support when unlocked, and you can't change the support tension for the back. All in all, I will choose another chair next time.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 8:40 AM PDT

Acer Aspire TimelineX AS1830T-6478 11.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Acer Aspire TimelineX AS1830T-6478 11.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase for portable power, August 30, 2011
I bought two of these (one for myself and one for my wife) rather than buy netbooks. One I upgraded to 8GB of memory with no problems. The keyboard is close enough to full size that neither my wife or I, both touch-typists, had problems. Battery life is easily four hours, and can get close to six if we are conscientious abut power management. Some reviews of the product here and on the web point out the trackpad as being too small and I was concerned when I purchased these, but the price was good. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find that the trackpad is useful and appropriate, and neither of us felt it was too small. However, we use these as grab-n-go devices that we take to meetings or when traveling so that we are seldom on these more than three or four hours at a time. If you are looking for this to be your only computer and want the benefits of a full-size laptop, go ahead and get a full size laptop. (I have connected it to a 1920x1080 monitor and used it comfortably for extended periods.) If you need something portable and powerful lets you create and collaborate beyond social media, this is a good choice.

Asus VE228H 21.5-Inches LCD Monitor
Asus VE228H 21.5-Inches LCD Monitor
Price: $109.00
136 used & new from $82.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, August 30, 2011
I purchased this because it was a good price for the features. The controls are a bit confusing--one of the buttons is both contrast and volume down while another is brightness and volume up. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how those worked. The monitor also only tilts for adjustment--no height adjustment is possible. However, it is solidly fixed to the base and doesn't have the annoying habit of vibrating when keyboarding like another monitor I purchased from an office supply store then returned. Picture is good and speakers are good for their size.

Crush (Karen Vail Series)
Crush (Karen Vail Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and worth your time, November 30, 2010
The main character (Karen Vail) is somewhat obnoxious, but that works well as we also see that she doesn't like pissing off people--she just has trouble filtering what she is thinking before it comes out of her mouth. It's her New York attitude in full force. While she doesn't always finesse the situation, she usually earns respect for her talents over time. And she carries a Glock...which is most helpful during chases.

Yes, the plot has a few potholes, but the action and detail in the story smooths over those minor glitches. I appreciate an author who researches a story, and it's obvious that Jacobson understands profiling well enough that he even has a character who has only read the main books in profiling, which Jacobson names, and tries to act as an expert. (Yes, Jacobson created that annoying twerp that we have all had to work with.) Jacobson also provides detail about mobile wine bottling--that's the kind of detail that builds depth in a story as we learn along with the characters.

Some of the other reviewers are miffed as they don't think the story ended, giving it only one star and often tossing in a few choice words for the author. However, the main plot does end, but in the course of the book Jacobson develops new threads exemplifying how confusing investigations are, and a new situation develops that may not be related to anything that happened before. Yes, I'll have to read the next book. However, if I expected my plots to wrap up neatly, I'd have never moved on from The Berenstain Bears.