Profile for Five Jay Dad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Five Jay Dad "James" RSS Feed (Succasunna, NJ USA)

An Introduction to Learning The Chinese Language
An Introduction to Learning The Chinese Language

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time, August 16, 2009
Sorry to write such a negative review but every bit of the poorly written Introduction to Learning The Chinese Language is either incorrect, incomprehensible, or obvious even to anyone who hasn't studied a word of Chinese. The author should be ashamed to have published this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2011 1:23 AM PST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Sloppily thrown together, November 22, 2004
I bought this book because several reviewers praised it. I must question their motives, as I can't imagine that anyone could in good faith give this publication a favorable review. If prospective online buyers could look over just a few pages of the book prior to purchasing it, I'm confident most would agree.

The title claims that there are ten practical labs included. This is flatly untrue. For the labs, the reader is directed to the non-existent [...] other reviews of this book indicate that the site hasn't existed for months, if it ever did. If your heart is set on a book that provides labs in return for your money as claimed, this one isn't for you.

The reader loses confidence in the worthiness of this book immediately, as the missing link to the downloadable labs is found on very first page along with egregious misspellings and grammatical mistakes including, interestingly enough, the author's job title: "Senior Developper."

Okay, perhaps there is a culture that spells the word "developer" this way, a country that also makes use of the word "distribuited". So, on to my next issue: I found the cover misleading in that it leads with the words "PASS ON FIRST TRY," which I naively assumed to imply that the book might be relatively comprehensive. After purchasing the book, however, and turning to page three, you get the real deal: This book is meant to "help you prepare for the MCAD/MCSD 70-315 (sic) exam in conjunction with all the other study materials that you may need to pass the exam. "

Okay, it is in fact a book of practice questions and answers, so I shouldn't have put much faith in the words "PASS ON FIRST TRY." My bad.

The same page erroneously says "To get the most out of this material you will need to know at least the basics of the C# language and also a basic understanding of Asp.Net programming." Since the 70-316 test has nothing to do with Asp.Net programming, and since the paragraph above incorrectly refers to 70-315, a different test, it appears that this was lifted from another book without having been edited for this book or proof-read. The reader is quickly losing confidence in the book and beginning to feel a bit of embarassment at having yet again played a part in proving the maxim about a fool and his money having been parted.

As far the questions themselves, I can't vouch for their relevance to 70-316 as I haven't yet taken the test. Hence my interest in Developping, as it were. I do, however, have a couple of years of .NET experience and the questions seem surprisingly easy. Perhaps it's just me, but if you knew me you'd say that guy is no genius.

For example, question one: Q: Under which environment does your program's execution code run? A: The CLR.

The sometimes lengthy source code in the questions isn't indented, so reading it is time-consuming and difficult. If the test presents source code this way, then this is a point in favor of the book. If not, a point against. Since the rest of the book is so sloppily thrown together, I tend to suspect the latter.

Good practice tests and question and answer books I've used to pass other MCAD/MCSD tests followed each question and answer with the names of or links to reference materials the reader could use to brush up on the content of the question in question. None of that here. This book provides simple questions, simple answers (often incorrect or questionable) and nothing more. It was of very little value to me personally.

I've had great success with the ExamCram series and Transcender tests. I would recommend those to any 70-316 candidate serious about making the best use of his of his or her preparation time and effort.

Canon XL1 Digital Camcorder Kit
Canon XL1 Digital Camcorder Kit
11 used & new from $499.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I returned mine, February 8, 2001
For high-end amateur applications, I returned my XL1 in favor of the Sony DCR-VX2000. The XL1 image quality is superb; however, the image quality of many less expensive cameras these days is so impressive that after shooting a lot of test video at various lux, close-up and zoom scenarios I was hard pressed to see *any* difference between the XL1 and my Panasonic DV600 and Sony PC-5.
Online reviews typically give XL1 and Sony VX2000 image quality equal ratings.
Although my XL1 was manufactured in August 2000, the model itself appears to be a couple of years old and lacks some of the Sony's electronic features and an LCD viewfinder.
I was also disappointed in the XL1 still photo quality. Most Sony models perform much better in this area.
The XL1 zoom motor is so loud as to interfere with sound recording, and the manual zoom apparently invokes a proxy mechanism rather than controlling the zoom directly, resulting in a latency which is perceived as lack of responsiveness.
Several online DV sites mention rumors of a Canon XL2. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the XL1 is near the end of its product cycle.