Profile for K. G. Caldwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. G. Caldwell "world traveler" RSS Feed (Ruidoso, NM)

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)
Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $17.94
2756 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT ending... A great book... Thanks, Stephanie, August 12, 2008
Warning: Mild spoilers

So a week ago I was driving around Los Angeles looking at various posters on buses and benches and saying, "Why is there vampire stuff everywhere right now?" And then I saw that the cover of Entertainment Weekly featured the cast of something called "Twilight," a movie that was coming out in, uh, December, and wondered "...And the reason we're discussing it right now is...???" As Bella would say, "*Oh.*" So I picked up the book, and tore through it in a way that I haven't devoured any piece of writing in a looong while, and then picked up "New Moon" and the "Eclipse" and finally I finished "Breaking Dawn" tonight. How anyone managed to wait a year between books is beyond me.

I loved "Breaking Dawn." I was so ready for Bella to finally get her wings. And I can only hope that Edward hasn't ruined me on men forever. Even though I am a throughly modern woman and it seems strange to say this, I find it really refreshing to come across a love story in which the two lovers are inextricably bound to one another. In an age where the word commitment has become all too hollow a word, Edward and Bella remind us that we are helpless in the face of true love, and that passion is worth the hardship. I know lots of people have criticized Bella's path in BD, but I love that she gets married at the beginning, not the end. We have so few examples of life after marriage in our stories. Nor I do find fault with her choice regarding Renesmee. It's sad that our society so often considers pregnancy an ending, rather that a beautiful beginning--and I say that as someone who's very pro-choice. Bella still has a full "existence" ahead of her, and great companions to share it with.

I celebrate Jacob's journey as well. I was about ready to smack both him and Bella at the end of "Eclipse," so I was very, very happy with the way things resolved here. It all finally made sense. Meyer has stated that she considers "Before Bella" to be more relatable than "After Bella," but I just want to go on record as preferring After Bella by far. I could read about her all day. Before Bella whined a lot and was too indecisive. I couldn't have taken much more, so thankfully, in BD I didn't have to.

I don't know what's up with the haters, but I think this is the perfect resolution. Nor do I have any gripes with Stephanie's writing. It's not James Joyce, nor is it meant to be. This is a lot more fun to read. I've already bought another set of the books for a friend, and I'm recommending the series to everyone who will listen. It's that much fun.

Braun 5270 Xelle Silk-Epil Epilator Model: 5395
Braun 5270 Xelle Silk-Epil Epilator Model: 5395

5.0 out of 5 stars Only hurts the first time. It's SOOOO worth it., July 1, 2008
I'll add to the chorus of praise for this product. It's just fantastic, a great solution to an age old problem. To be fair, it did hurt -- and more than a little -- the first time I used it. However, now I can just pick up a few strays every few days and it hurts pretty much not at all. And the hair does grow back finer, yahoo! This is probably my product of the year. It's that good.

Lucky Number Slevin [HD DVD]
Lucky Number Slevin [HD DVD]
DVD ~ Josh Hartnett
19 used & new from $0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars So very very good, April 11, 2008
The plot has already been outlined by other reviewers, so I'll just add to the chorus of general praise here. First of all, hats off to Jason Smilovic for writing such a smart script with lots of good twists and so many memorable lines. This is one of those movies that I'll just pop while I'm doing housework so I've seen it (or at least heard it) multiple times now, and I still laugh out loud even though I can pretty much recite the dialogue with the characters at this point. Everybody's at the top of their game in this one, especially the underrated Hartnett, who has now made a string of European-style movies that have gone woefully under-appreciated by American audiences. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Wicker Park...and Mozart and the Whale...even 40 Days and 40 Nights could've worked as a French farce.) I'm just heartbroken this wasn't a bigger hit, if only so that I could repeat all the great lines and people would catch the reference...which they don't.

Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, Ben Kingsley, Hartnett, a wonderful Lucy Liu (her best role, I'd argue), a smart and entertaining script, well-directed, stylishly produced...I am at a loss to understand why the audience didn't materialize. This is the sort of movie that must make a studio executive scream in confused anguish. At any rate, here's your chance to catch up on one of the best crime thrillers in recent memory. You should check it out (and that's for sure).

Sacramental Magic In A Small-town Cafe: Recipes And Stories From Brother Juniper's Cafe
by Peter Reinhart
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my "desert island" cookbooks, December 7, 2007
I've owned a copy of this book for years and years, and purchased many more to give to friends and family as gifts. The stories in this book are excellent, but the recipes are even better. The recipe in this book for Tuna Salad is, in my humble opinion, the best in the world, and I wish that it would be more widely adopted (it's a little different - tart, not sweet). Other fabulous recipes are the recipe for a very garlicky hummus, the greek salad, the recipe for tabbouleh, the pasta dishes, the sandwiches, and a way to make your own homemade ginger ale.

I very highly recommend this book. I have tons of cookbooks, and this is one of my top five.

Also, I don't eat beef or chicken, and there's still plenty of recipes that I can make and love.

Healthy Asian Vegetarian Dishes (Learn to Cook)
Healthy Asian Vegetarian Dishes (Learn to Cook)
by Rohani Jelani
Edition: Spiral-bound
35 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Authentic, June 15, 2007
This cookbook does indeed have ingredients in it that assume you have a relationship with your local asian food store. Daikon, black moss fungus, wood ear mushrooms, shiitake, channa dhal...if you are looking for a book that doesn't require a trip to the international food store (and an adventuresome palate), this is not your book. If, however, you consider your asian food store to be a treasure trove of fun and excitement, then this *is* your book--to start with anyway. I confess, I lived in Japan for over three years and traveled all over Asia during that time, and so I'm always on the lookout for books that present actual recipes that natives would recognize. This book manages just that, and the recipes turn out very yummy and authentic.

I have noticed that I'm usually--OK, pretty much always--the only white chick at my asian food store, so maybe that's why this book doesn't sell better. Still, if you're looking for recipes that replicate what your Chinese/Japanese/etc. host mother put on the table every night while you were studying/working abroad, start here.

Also, it has a beautiful photo for every dish, and the spiral binding insures that the cookbook always lays flat--I wish every cookbook was spiral bound. I think that this is a great book for what it is.