Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Chris Guillebeau > Reviews

Browse

Chris Guillebeau's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Guillebeau RSS Feed (Portland, Oregon and the World)

Page: 1 | 2
Color Cloud Hammocks Double Travel Hammock (Dark Red/Yellow)
Color Cloud Hammocks Double Travel Hammock (Dark Red/Yellow)
Offered by Color Cloud Hammocks
Price: $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The next time you hang out, do it in a Color Cloud Hammock, March 7, 2016
Are you looking for a sturdy, comfy, brightly-colored hammock? Look no further. The very first time I sat in a hammock as an adult, it was a Color Cloud Hammock. I've traveled alongside one of their hammocks to at least ten countries. In fact, I even got to tour the initial "factory" (basically a small tailor shop where a few women handmade each hammock) while I was visiting Phnom Penh, Cambodia. My team has also used Color Cloud Hammocks at many events I host, including all five World Domination Summits in Portland, Oregon. In short: these hammocks are well-made, long-lasting, and—not to forget—extremely fun.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
by Michael Bungay Stanier
Price: $11.80
28 used & new from $7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Do More Great Work and Read The Coaching Habit, February 26, 2016
Michael Bungay Stanier does it again! For years now he's produced a series of incredibly helpful resources for coaches, entrepreneurs, and anyone who wants to "do great work" (not just "more work," because we all have plenty of that). I found this latest contribution to be as clear and insightful as his earlier books. Two thumbs up! I'd give it more thumbs but I only have two.

The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever
The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a very safe investment, February 1, 2016
I'll admit that I came into this book a little skeptical—but I was almost immediately reassured by the substance that the first few chapters provided. I felt as though I was reading ideas that I've been formulating and sharing in small ways on my own for many years, but these guys did it much more articulately and concisely. Years ago I wrote about how "competence is your security." The authors have a similar philosophy, but with a much more helpful twist: it's not just your own competence, it's also the relationships you build with people as you seek to be genuinely helpful. Definitely worth your time and the small purchase!

The Intentionalist Cooks!: simple, delicious recipes (that happen to be vegan & gluten-free)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Intentional recipes, easy effort, great food, June 5, 2015
Shanna Trenholm lives mindfully and intentionally, and this collection of recipes reflects those values well. Not sure how to eat well without spending hours preparing food? This short book is your go-to guide. I owned the original version and just purchased again now that it's on Amazon.

She Makes Hats
She Makes Hats
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Robyn Devine inspires me, April 29, 2014
This review is from: She Makes Hats (Kindle Edition)
I'm no knitter, but I love this project. Building a life around hand-crafting—while still making plenty of time for friends and family—has given Robyn joy and purpose. If you're searching for those things yourself, you'd do well to read this short book.

Portland's 100 Best Places To Stuff Your Faces
Portland's 100 Best Places To Stuff Your Faces
by Jen Stevenson
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $14.20
22 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellow Portlanders (and visitors), this book is a winner!, January 10, 2014
Every Friday night that I'm home in Portland—and often a few other nights during the week as well—I rack my brain over the eternal question: "Where's dinner?" With the publication of "100 Best Places," the process has now become a lot easier. Over the past ten years I've spent a lot of time and money on visiting every country in the world. Perhaps I need a new goal: to visit every PDX restaurant that Jen chronicles in this beautiful, accessible book.

The Sketchnote Handbook Video Edition: the illustrated guide to visual note taking
by Mike Rohde
Price: $32.02
49 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who takes any kind of notes... ever, December 9, 2012
Mike Rohde does fantastic work. After talking with many talented artists, I hired Mike to create the interior artwork for The $100 Startup. He did an excellent job and I continue to hear positive comments (almost daily!) on how the illustrations mesh so well with the text.

But this review isn't about my book; it's about Mike's. In The Sketchnote Handbook, Mike takes us behind-the-scenes, documenting the process and workflow he uses in his unique method. Learning about how Mike does it is interesting enough to me, a non-artist, to justify the purchase of the book. However, Mike goes further and makes the case that *everyone*--even you and me--can use visual note-taking to improve the way we capture and retain information.

It's a no-brainer: This book deserves a wide audience! I've purchased multiple copies already and will continue to buy more as I hand them out as gifts.

You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, personal, and specific guide to (real) simplicity, August 28, 2012
Tammy Strobel lives by what she writes. I've been to her tiny house and seen the big life she has crafted.

Why would you choose to "voluntarily downsize" your life? Can you really buy happiness? These are the questions examined throughout Tammy's debut book, and she answers them well. The book is one-part philosophy and two-parts ACTION. You'll learn about Tammy and her husband Logan's journey, you'll observe how other people have made similar lifestyle choices, and you'll see how you can take steps of your own to simplify while still living well.

Not to worry: it's all voluntary, and it's all worth your attention. Tammy is the real deal, and so is this book. Recommended for anyone thinking seriously about life.

Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more than just circles: this book tells you how to reach people, December 25, 2011
I downloaded Google+ for Business on Christmas Day and read it on a long flight from Miami to Los Angeles. My initial motivation for picking it up wasn't so much to learn about Google+... I just enjoy reading Chris's blog and would happily pay for much of his free content. When I saw he had a new book out, I didn't have to think much about making a small purchase to support him.

Nevertheless, my motivations weren't entirely altruistic: I've been using Google+ every day, and figured if I could learn even one thing from the book, it would be well worth the minor investment of time and money.

Chris widely acknowledges the challenge of writing a traditionally published book about a rapidly changing software platform. With that in mind, he spends at least as much time explaining the "why" behind sharing content and cultivating a community. I especially liked a section on curation ("You are a magazine publisher") and the general theme of curiosity and gratitude that runs through the book. Want to be a rockstar on Google+? Be friendly and be helpful. Chris tells you how to do it.

I don't think you should buy this book to learn how to put people in circles, although Chris certainly covers the basics for those who are truly new to Google+. Instead, you should buy this book to learn more about how people can connect and collaborate using new media. If you like Chris Brogan, if you enjoyed Trust Agents, or if you want to learn about a fun new platform, get the book. It's a short read that can make a big difference in your work.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2011 6:48 PM PST

End Malaria
End Malaria
by Michael Bungay Stanier
46 used & new from $0.22

5.0 out of 5 stars +1 for this great book, -1 for malaria, September 7, 2011
This review is from: End Malaria (Paperback)
Mosquitoes have always had a thing for my wife Jolie. When she contracted malaria, we lived on a hospital ship in West Africa. During two bed-ridden weeks, she was well-cared for--eventually making a complete recovery and remembering to wear bug spray more often. Unfortunately, many others aren't as lucky. Let's end malaria for everyone. This book can help.

Page: 1 | 2