Profile for Thomas (thrasn@lycos.com) > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas (thrasn@lycos.com) RSS Feed (West Coast of the U.S.A.)

Fit for Life
Fit for Life
by Marilyn Diamond
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
358 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking back 16 years ago: An honest review of Fit for Life, August 16, 2001
I remember how I discovered the Diamonds' books. It's was in the mid 1980's and I was watching the Merv Griffin Show. I was about 18 years old at the time. Harvey and his wife were on the show doing P.R. for their new book, Fit For life. As I listened to them, and saw their happiness and health and excitement, I felt a positive feeling about what they were saying. Something just clicked in my heart and I new it was something I should check into. At that time, I was always tired, out of shape, eating the Standard American Diet (which initials by the way are SAD) I knew that I needed something, and this was it. I was so excited. The very next day I got their book and read it cover to cover 3 times and highlighted parts that I wanted to remember. For about 6 years, I practiced the Diamonds' Methods. I stopped eating meat and dairy products, and threw out all of my white flower products and ate whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruits, Basically a vegetarian diet. Reading the Diamonds book was the catalyst that drove me deeper into a natural way of living. My whole life changed because of the Diamonds book, and for that I am eternally grateful. I started going to health food stores, making new healthy friends, reading books on natural living. Now, you have to remember, this was back in 1985 or so. Back then the fitness craze and "health food" was not as big as it is now. Many people back then thought health food people were "nuts". However, I didn't care, I felt like I had discovered something that nobody else new, and I was enlightened. For 6 years I lived the natural hygiene way. I also joined a gym and began working out 5 days a week ( mostly aerobic type exercises, I new nothing about weights then) . I made sure I combined my protein and starches correctly, ate my food at the right times of the days. Got plenty of rest. I held strict to the plan. During the first year, my energy level went totally through the roof. I felt better, My thinking wasn't as foggy, I wasn't tired, I had no depression, I slept well, and for the first time I looked younger than my age. I continued eating that way for about 6 years, until I was 24 years old. During that 6 year period when I was following the Diamonds books and eating a natural hygiene diet, here is what I experienced....
During the first 2 years, I felt great, I lost all my excess body fat, and was very thin. Looking back now, I was way too thin. My height is 6'2" tall, and I was 145lbs at my lowest. I was pretty skinny and had no muscle tone. (however, I wasn't working out with weights. I was doing heavy cardio workouts, and not taking in extra calories to make up for it)
I realized that eating the natural way, required ALLOT of work because I had to prepare my own natural meals. During the 3rd year living the natural hygiene way, my life took a drastic stressful turn. ( life and job related things) so I no longer had time to really devote to making proper meals, I was not eating a variety of vegetarian meals, I would opt for whatever was the quickest. (Usually whole wheat pasta and vegetables.) So during that 3rd year on the natural hygiene diet, I began to feel tried and fatigued around the middle of the day. I was underweight, was lacking energy, and probably was not getting the proper nutrition that I needed. BUT let me say that looking back, it was NOT because of the natural hygiene diet. It WAS because I was not paying attention to making sure I was getting a variety of healthy foods in my diet. I wasn't eating enough calories to sustain myself. Eating a vegetarian diet or Natural hygiene diet, REQUIRES you to take the time and focus yourself on getting a variety of fresh wholesome foods in your diet. If you don't have the time, or the interest to do this, you will surly fail and not get proper nutrition. You will then probably make the mistake of blaming it on the Diamonds book or Natural Hygiene. The results work only as good as the effort you put into it. THIS is what I have found out looking back after 16 years. If I had taken the time to make sure my diet consisted of a variety of fresh natural foods, I would probably have had a different result during the 3rd year on the diet.
After the 3rd or 4th year on natural hygiene diet, I discovered body building. I needed to gain muscle and quality weight. I was just way too thin. So I started to incorporate fish in my vegetarian diet and eating soy protein shakes for extra protein and calories. I started to re-focus my energy on my diet and preparing healthy meals again. My weight started to increase back to a normal body weight, and I started to gain muscle. (however I was now working out with weights) During around the 5th and 6th year, I was about 24 years old or so then, I started to incorporate free-range, natural chicken into my vegetarian diet, along with the fish. BUT I continued to combine my proteins and starches correctly. Well, I filled out with allot of good muscle and stayed slim. I continued this way for the next 6 years. When I reached 30 years old, I had pretty much moved away from the Diamonds methods. However I am eternally grateful for them leading me into the path of natural living, health food, and health and fitness. I am blessed by Harvey and his wife and owe thanks to them. they truly inspired me 16 years ago, to get off my duff, and do something about my life. Finding and reading the Diamonds book, Fit for Life, changed my life for the better. Even though I don't practice their principals now, I still remember their teachings and the down-to-earth wisdom that they gave me.
So anyway, now I am 34 years old. I eat a diet very high in vegetables and fruit and whole grains, with some fish and chicken and protein powders. I work out about 5 days a week at a local gym. I am still 6'2" tall, but now weigh about 205 lbs. of lean muscle. People still think I am 22 years old! I don't look my age or feel my age. I am a health and fitness enthusiast and will be for the rest of my life. ( thanks to that little push by the Diamonds 16 years ago.) Health and fitness is in my life forever.
So in conclusion, living naturally and healthfully is a gift from God. I am telling you this from experience. If the Diamonds book does nothing more than jump start your life into the world of natural living, health and fitness, then It has done it's job. Nothing is more rewarding than feeling good, and looking good for the rest of your life. I am now trying to lower my meat consumption and increase my vegtables and fruits and still get all the high quality protien that I need for working out. With some education and work I can do it. Just remember...your health results can only equal the amount of effort you put into your lifestyle. I still remember the wisdom the Diamonds taught me 16 years ago.
God bless to all of those who help others by educating us with their knowledge and wisdom of health and fitness. These people brining us closer to a world of healthy living and happiness.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 1:56 PM PDT

Fit for Life: A New Beginning
Fit for Life: A New Beginning
by Harvey Diamond
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.29
154 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review about the Fit for Life Books..., August 16, 2001
I am giving this review 3 stars because I have not actually read this particualr book, but have read the Dimonds other 2 books, Fit for Life and Fit for Life 2. The first book Fit for Life, I would give 4 stars.
So in conclusion, living naturally and healthfully is a gift from God. I am telling you this from experience. If the Diamonds book does nothing more than jump start your life into the world of natural living, health and fitness, then It has done it's job. Nothing is more rewarding than feeling good, and looking good for the rest of your life. I am now trying to lower my meat consumption and increase my vegtables and fruits and still get all the high quality protien that I need for working out. With some education and work I can do it. Just remember...your health results can only equal the amount of effort you put into your lifestyle. I still remember the wisdom the Diamonds taught me 16 years ago when I read their first book. I will probably get this one to see whats new.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2012 1:42 PM PDT