Profile for Burgundy Damsel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 853

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Burgundy Damsel RSS Feed (Albany, New York)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hill's Ideal Balance Crafted Grain Free Herbed Chicken and Chickpeas Recipe Dry Cat Food Bag, 2-Pound
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cat Food I've Ever Seen, March 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've actually been feeding my cat dog food for ages now, because every cat food I found was so packed with cheap, nasty fillers that I refused to pay money for it... this has officially changed that!

Everything on the ingredient list is pronounceable, and you can actually see the difference in the kibble. When you pour this stuff out the bag, it is dark and shiny - a clear sign that they kept more of the nutrients and healthy oils in the food! It smells like dried meats, rather than smelling like artificial meat flavorings (anyone who has ever handled lesser quality pet treats will know exactly what I'm talking about - there's a distinct difference!). It's an excellent bonus that there are no grains or other common fillers that tend to be inflammatory to animals and aren't part of what they're biologically designed to thrive on.

My cat definitely thinks she got a promotion, and is super happy with this new food. The velcro closure at the top of the bag is also convenient in preventing spills, and minimizing fuss with opening and closing the bag at feeding time - no clips, folding or anything else to mess with.

My only (very minor) complaint is that I feel like there's a lot of bag for the amount of food. I know this is fairly standard with pet food (the whole contents settling in transit effect), but it would be nice to either get more product in a bag this size, or have smaller bags. However, that is a very small thing and I'm generally exceptionally pleased to have found a decent cat food.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 11:01 AM PDT

Jarrow Formulas Hyaluronic Acid, 50 mg, 120 Capsules
Jarrow Formulas Hyaluronic Acid, 50 mg, 120 Capsules
Price: $17.60
25 used & new from $10.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean & Easy to Take, March 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been taking these for a couple weeks now. I've seen some slight improvement in how hydrated my skin is (by virtue of reduced flakiness/peeling of sensitive skin after exposure to cold), but given that the point is to improve "the fluid matrix for joint lubrication, skin hydration and skin repair" I think it's reasonable to expect that you'd have to take the product for a while before you saw any substantial change.

The capsules are quite small, and very easy to take. They are also happily very clean - free of all the major allergens, and containing no unnecessary or undesirable preservatives, colorings, etc. I have not experienced any negative reactions and would feel very comfortable recommending them to others.

Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
by Donald N. Sull
Price: $19.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, Well Presented, March 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well written, this book strikes the perfect balance in tone between professional and engaging. It's not a difficult read, but it will give you a tremendous amount to think about. The authors do an excellent job of handling the two-writer situation; it's always completely clear whose experience is being referred to, whether it is a shared experience, unique to just one of them, or one of them in partnership with someone else. There are no instances of awkward wording or transition between them, either.

The concept of simple rules is extremely valuable - particularly in light of the ever increasing complexity that surrounds us. The authors do a great job of explaining what quality Simple Rules are (and are not), what they are best applied to, and how to develop your own - at both the business and personal levels. They provide an admirably diverse set of examples, and expertly partner each short but insightful anecdote/case study with the core sub-concept they've just been talking about. This works well, because it brings the process of building your own simple rules together step by step and ensures you understand the practical application/results before moving on to the next step.

I thought the authors did a great job of exploring the hows, whys and evidence for Simple Rules without going too far and trying to argue that they are the answer to everything ever. I will absolutely be revisiting this as I consider what Simple Rules I operate under - and what better ones I can devise. I highly recommend the book to anyone look to improve their effectiveness in any aspect of life - from business performance to personal happiness. It will be time and money well spent!

Vaseline Intensive Care Healing Serum, Advance Relief 6.8 oz
Vaseline Intensive Care Healing Serum, Advance Relief 6.8 oz
Price: $7.99
4 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Non-greasy, March 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This lotion has a very pleasant smell, and is happily non-greasy. I found it worked better as a body lotion than a hand lotion, as it takes a minute to absorb, but I felt like it did a good job.

A little goes a long way, which is always appreciated. It was soothing to my dry skin, and I would both use it again and recommend it to others.

Lady Falls (The Black Rose Trilogy Book 1)
Lady Falls (The Black Rose Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange and Incomplete, March 5, 2015
This book seemed like it had an interesting premise, but the reality never quite came through. There were so many gaps, most of which didn't seem to make sense.

I had a hard time liking Raven. She was supposed to come off as spirited, intelligent and compassionate, but she was so naive and self-centered (yes, I know she was intentionally raised that way) that most of the time she came off as too shallow to actually be any of those things in a meaningful way.

I wanted to like the hero - he seemed initially to be admirably motivated to reconcile with his former mentor, both out of loyalty to a friend and out of a desire to do well financially so that he could provide for the people depending on him, rather than out of any personal greed or desire for wealth/status. That said, he apparently lacked the common sense to recognize giant red flags even when they waved directly in his face. Example: If your former mentor inexplicably cut you out of his life, then randomly invites you to join him for a house party 8 years later after zero contact, but is completely enigmatic and erratic, and won't talk about either the past or the future while you're there, wouldn't you think that maybe it's not actually in your best interest to have anything to do with him? Seriously. Trent was clearly completely unstable and the hero didn't actually need to associate with him.

I also felt like most of the conflict was forced and unbelievable. [SPOILERS] Trent was clearly psychotic, and yet the hero simply took everything he said in his note at face value at the end? Raven was both clueless and bled the first time he bedded her, and yet the hero still somehow thinks she's been sleeping with half of her guardian's male staff? Really?

The book only partially stands alone, but I doubt I'll be reading the other two in the series. This book started out strong, with a promising plot and characters with real potential, but never ends up pulling it all together in a satisfactory way.

Do the KIND Thing: Think Boundlessly, Work Purposefully, Live Passionately
Do the KIND Thing: Think Boundlessly, Work Purposefully, Live Passionately
by Daniel Lubetzky
Price: $19.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Conflicted Response, March 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had a surprisingly conflicted response to this book. Different aspects seemed to warrant very different ratings.

Content: 5 stars
This deserves a full 5 stars for content, if only because the author did an exceptional job of clearly addressing aspects of business/entrepreneurship that so rarely get touched on, let alone delved into. (Examples: the how and why of expanding one's product line in a way that supports -rather than unintentionally undermines your core products; the process of figuring out how to go from making something in your kitchen to mass-production) Lubetzky was offered a perfect balance between confidence and self-deprecating modesty, gave credit where credit was due, and was openly honest about both the upsides and the negatives of his approach to business. Everyone who wants to be an entrepreneur should read this - with an open mind and highlighter in hand.

Writing Technical Merit: 5 stars
Punctuation, organization, and the other assorted technical aspects of the writing were flawless. Obviously a lot of attention to detail. Everything is written clearly, and easy to understand.

Writing Compelling-ness : 1 star
Now we come to my major problem with this book - it was a constant struggle to stay engaged with and focused on it. This was not a long or hard book, and I would normally blow through something like this. As noted above, the subject matter was great, so I was initially very confused as to why I had so much trouble. I finally realized that it was because for all his passion about his subject, the author recounts things as fact... dry, un-passionate facts. (In all fairness, he has background as a lawyer.) It's the equivalent of reading a mystery or romance novel where the author "tells" rather than "shows" or like skimming a short news article on a tragic incident - you find out the basic facts but remain completely removed from the experience.

Mr. Lubetzky obviously has abundant passion for his work and boundless compassion for other people, so it's not a case of the passion not being there, simply of not translating into the pages in a way that resonates with readers. Reading about the towering stacks of boxes unsold product overflowing his tiny apartment should have conveyed claustrophobia or desperation, but ended up just a simple recounting of events. A story full of entrepreneurial moments and choices should have been a roller-coaster ride of highs, lows, stress and elation but it was told in matter of fact way that my brain registered as frustratingly dichotomous.

Other Notes:
It's worth knowing that a relatively large portion of this book has to do with the author's experiences at PeaceWorks, the company he founded prior to KIND and continued to throughout KIND's inception and growth. This is unavoidable, given that the lessons learned through PW were intricately involved in the choices he made developing KIND, but it wasn't what I expected to be reading about.

It's also good to be aware going in that social responsibility plays a big role in this book. If that's something you're interested in, you can't find a better source of information than this one. If not, it can feel a little strange sometimes reading about the author's fervent belief that something like making pesto can be a step towards something as seemingly unrealistic as peace in the Middle East.

Summary: Overall, this is a valuable book and one I recommend reading to anyone trying to learn about business, entrepreneurship, or social responsibility. It has information I've not seen elsewhere, is technically excellent, and has an author that its easy to respect. However, I would recommend planning to read it in small chunks, with lots of time for reflection in between. Otherwise you'll risk losing a lot of wisdom and opportunity for full application among the too-often dispassionate presentation.

Grumpy Old Wizards
Grumpy Old Wizards
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Got to 37%, February 25, 2015
I really wanted to like this book. The premise was good, and it had some great elements that really should have made it shine. The trio of BFF old ladies (one of whom looks 30, thanks to her magic), an annoying ex and irritating neighbor, a wizard consulting for the Police Department - the story had a lot to work with, and could have been a riot.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work for me. The writing was flat. I don't know if it was the word choices, the pacing, or what, but things that should have been engaging, funny, or started to build drama just didn't have any depth or power to hold the reader's attention. The characters also failed to make a connection. The main character whined, pouted, and was churlish and manipulative to others constantly for no reason. An astonishing amount of time was spent on her "pranking" or shouting stupid insults back and forth with either her neighbor or her ex. Possibly I'm just not the right target reader for this book, because I didn't find it amusing or endearing.

Laiden's Daughter: The Clan MacDougall Series
Laiden's Daughter: The Clan MacDougall Series
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Had Lots of Potential, But Needed Work!, February 22, 2015
Let's start with the good: I loved the highlanders in this book. Loud, passionate, generous, and loyal to the bone, they were a delight to read about. The men (who, it appears, will each feature in their own book in this series) were great, and all equally worthy of finding a wonderful woman to love them. The book was a quick, easy read - good "beach-style" lit. Descriptions of the scenery and background were well done; you always had a good sense of where the action was taking place.

Now, the not so good: First, you could drive a Mac truck through the gaping plot holes in this book, which is saying something since romances typically aren't the strongest, tightest plots to begin with. [SPOILERS] Aishlynn's father is presented the bloody dress of his supposedly dead wife-to-be, whom he was passionately in love with, by another man who had vied for her hand, and just takes his word for it? Never once demands to know why that guy even knew, since he wasn't who she was going to see? Never demands to see the grave so he can pay his last respects? What lie can the step-father have possibly have told that would convince Laiden to marry him and never contact anyone from her happy highland family again? She lived for more than five more years, and she knew where they were! Even if she didn't believe she could go back to Aishlynn's father, she still had a sister and friends there and no reason to cut herself off from all of them. If Moira knew that Aishlynn didn't belong with her step-father, why didn't she send word to the girl's father's family when Laiden died?

Second, as other reviewers have noted, a crazy amount of this book is spent with Aishlynn convinced she's "plain" and will never get married or have kids, and other people constantly trying to convince her that she's not. It got old. Quickly. It then abruptly reversed, with essentially no explanation. I also second other reviewers' comments about the highlander dialect not being used smoothly at all.

Third, Aishlynn's got a bit of schizophrenia going on when it comes to sex. I get that she grew up without a mother, but for someone who came so close to being raped and who has been led to believe that "men only want one thing", she is randomly clueless about what sex actually entails when she starts getting close to Duncan. She makes no effort to avail herself of the experienced, kind and open women in the highlander community to remedy that ignorance, which led to a rather dissatisfying scene on her wedding night. Nor does she ever seem to make any effort (other than looking pretty) to be good to Duncan, despite the ways he is lavishing affection and care on her. She loves him because he's hot and he rescued her, and that feels like its as far as it goes.

Anyway, now that I've rambled on... this was a decent read because I picked it up for free and was therefore willing to overlook most of its issues. However, I would not recommend it and will not be reading the rest of the books in the series.

Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, Chocolate, 16 Ounce
Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, Chocolate, 16 Ounce
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ingredient List Floored Me, February 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is legitimately the first powdered drink mix I’ve found that has a genuinely clean ingredient list. None of the top allergens (including soy, gluten, and nuts) and no nasty fake sugars or sugar substitutes (it is sweetened only with stevia). It does not rely on overly-processed protein isolates to boost its protein scores, and has key vitamins (such as D and K) and minerals in amounts at 50% or more of the RDA! Although there is no substitute for a diet based primarily on properly prepared, nutrient dense, whole foods, this is the first and only “shake” I’ve seen that is actually worthy of a spot on your shelf for the days when you just need something fast and highly portable. It is going to be a god-send for several friends of mine trying to clean up their diets who struggle to eat breakfast – a clean, nutrient dense shake to get them started!

I tried mixing the powder into almond milk, raw whole (cows’) milk, and water. It mixed cleanly into all three – no clumping or stickiness. I used my blender out of preference, but given how finely powdered it is (noticeably more so than any other brand I’ve seen) I think it would work just as well simply stirred in. I actually found in overly filling when mixed with the milks, and will probably mix it with water in the future.

I personally found it to be very sweet, much more than I would have liked (hence the four stars instead of five), but I eat very few sweets. I expect the sweetness level would be just about right for most people. I found the sweetness was easily cut to a much more ideal level by throwing a scoop of peanut butter and a splash of vanilla into the blender with the mix, as well.

I am delighted to have found this, and will be highly recommending it to friends.

Constitutional Calculus: The Math of Justice and the Myth of Common Sense
Constitutional Calculus: The Math of Justice and the Myth of Common Sense
by Jeff Suzuki
Price: $33.20
29 used & new from $24.28

4.0 out of 5 stars All The Things You Never Knew Math Could Be Applied To, February 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician. I am not even particularly a lover of math. I do not pretend to have flawlessly followed every twist and turn of math in this book. However, I was fully able to see what the author was doing, make sense of his process, and appreciate the beauty his applications of mathematics to such a diverse set questions that – at first glance – might not necessarily look as if they were related to math at all.

I picked up this book strictly out of curiosity, and I am so glad that I did! I highly recommend it, even if you don’t consider yourself “a math person”. I’m pretty sure I learned more about our voting system and it’s values, flaws, and alternatives in just a few chapters than I did in all of high school and college. The section on courts and juries got into all kinds of interesting questions I had never even thought to ask. It was also extremely enlightening to see why some things are done the way they are, even when we tend to consider them so faulty.

From a technical standpoint, I was surprised to see three or so instances where a word was missing or inserted where it shouldn’t have been in what was otherwise such a crisp, clean book. I appreciated the author’s sound-bite style summary at the end, providing readers with an instant recap of everything they learned in an easy-to-share format.

While I thought that the book’s scope and length were perfect for its intended goal, it decidedly begs for follow up in some places. One could easily do an entire second book on the secondary line of questions that popped up in the chapter on policing/incarceration alone. For example, the numbers clearly show that the death penalty is not a good return on investment (in terms of cost per prisoner executed vs. other options that could potentially be accomplished with the same money, such as the hiring of additional police officers). However, given the level of controversy that often surrounds the hiring of police and reductions in police force size, it would be fascinating to look at the actual value of police officers to their community using the same types of calculations applied to the questions in the book. Are all police worth the same amount? Is there a minimum or maximum force size associated with effectiveness?

This book will definitely give you plenty to think about, and give you a new perspective on many aspects of society. It is not a fast read, but well worth the time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20