Profile for Robert I. Hedges > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 20530

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert I. Hedges RSS Feed
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
When Pigs Fly
When Pigs Fly
Price: $14.99
26 used & new from $8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Varying Degrees Of Musical Weirdness With Some Surprising Results, April 27, 2015
This review is from: When Pigs Fly (Audio CD)
On cursory glance, "When Pigs Fly" seems like an odd entry in the "Golden Throats" pantheon. While I like the William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy songstering, this album is a bit more sedate although it's uneven. It features twelve songs from an assortment of acts that range from "ho hum," to "wow, that was totally unexpected." As will be no surprise, many of the songs are quite unlistenable, while others are interesting reinterpretations of the originals.

Upon looking at the selections I had certain expectations, most of which turned out to be unjustified. I thought, for instance, that "Ohio" by Devo might be an interesting track: it was interesting, but relentlessly grating. It was actually the only song on the CD I could not sit all the way through. I expected Don Ho's version of "Shock the Monkey" to be a more ukulele-intensive Hawaiian reinterpretation of the song, but was sadly disappointed to find that it was more of an imitation of Peter Gabriel's mannerisms resulting in a listenable but not especially unique cover version. I thought Roy Clark doing "What a Wonderful World" would be a pickin' and grinnin' disaster, but it was actually very suited to his musical style and vocal range. One of the best surprises was "Carry On Wayward Son" by The Oak Ridge Boys, whose harmonies make the song their own. It is highly listenable and made it onto my MP3 player: the only other two tracks to make the grade so I could have them at my disposal at any time were the great version of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" by Lesley Gore (!) which was rockingly wonderful, and much to my surprise the slower tempo smooth lounge stylings of Herman's Hermits (yes, with Peter Noone,) intoning the Billy Idol classic "White Wedding." This was one I had predicted would go south in a hurry, but actually proved worthy of repeated listening. Again, nobody was more surprised than I was. The album has a couple of oddball selections like the always annoying "Insane in the Brain" by The Connells, who I have frankly never heard of, and the obligatory cover version of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)" by The Neanderthal Spongecake. Who? Never mind. It's a decent cover of a song that's been way overplayed, but they have an outstanding band name, so count me as a fan of this oddity.

"When Pigs Fly" is more musically interesting than the "Golden Throats" type of recordings (does anyone remember "Cousin Mosquito," for instance?) as everyone on the album has genuine musical talent. That it is misspent is in some cases true, but I'm glad I have it in my collection as an interesting conversation piece if nothing else.

PNY Turbo 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - P-FD32GTBOP-GE
PNY Turbo 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - P-FD32GTBOP-GE
Price: Click here to see our price
84 used & new from $12.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Drive With No Hiccups, April 27, 2015
I have had no issues with my PNY Turbo 3.0 Flash Drive. I love the compact design and sliding cover for ease of use and stowage, plus there is no cover to lose. I have done no formal tests but in my experience it is relatively fast for file transfers (and I have done some large ones with it.) The price is certainly excellent for the capacity involved, which makes this PNY drive a good value in my book. I waited until I had about two months’ worth of use on this drive before writing this review to make sure that no glitches occurred, but thus far it's working like the day I took it out of the package.

Cats' Letters to Santa
Cats' Letters to Santa
by Bill Adler
49 used & new from $1.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Cats' Lucid Visions Of Tuna, Catnip, And Mice Transformed Into Christmas Wishes, April 26, 2015
This review is from: Cats' Letters to Santa (Hardcover)
"Cats' Letters to Santa" is a collection of always amusing but rarely hilarious letters to Santa purportedly from a variety of felines. Most of the letters play to cat stereotypes (many of which are generally true) but all of which are predictable (they scratch, have hairballs, want to sleep on the bed, etc.) If you are a cat lover you might enjoy a quick once through this book (and it is a very quick read) but others will likely find the humor occasionally smirk-inducing but largely monotonous.

Faraway Land
Faraway Land
Price: $13.99
57 used & new from $1.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Music With A Point From The Guitar Of Ron Block, April 25, 2015
This review is from: Faraway Land (Audio CD)
People who love the pure, unadulterated sounds of acoustic guitar know and love Ron Block. Ron isn't flashy and he's unassuming but he is an amazing country, bluegrass, and gospel guitar legend. "Faraway Land" is a very strong album that is clearly centered on spirituality and his Christianity without ever being preachy. Longtime fans will particularly appreciate "Set Your Children Free," featuring the astonishing guitarist (and vocalist) Dan Tyminski, though my favorites are the down home bluegrass-tinged "He's Holding On To Me" and "In The Morning Light," and the guitar virtuosity of "Is It Any Wonder?" The haunting instrumental "In Memory of Steve" is a departure from the rest of the album but is equally captivating in its own right.

It's refreshing to hear such a pure expression of musical talent and faith on one album, but Ron nails it here. If you like country, bluegrass, gospel, or folk, and particularly if you are a Ron Block, Dan Tyminski, Alison Krauss, or Union Station fan, this is an absolutely vital recording.

Hoka One One Men's M Clifton Running Shoe
Hoka One One Men's M Clifton Running Shoe
Price: $120.95 - $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lightweight Shoes For Runners With Chronic Pain Issues, April 25, 2015
The Hoka One One Cliftons are great running shoes, particularly for people with chronic foot pain. I suffer intermittently from plantar fasciitis and insertional Achilles tendonitis, and am extremely picky about shoes. I also am a supinator and have a high arch, so just because these are good for me, doesn't mean they will be as good for you. Having said that, I own two pairs of Cliftons (one for treadmill work, one for outdoor runs) and am overall very satisfied with them. I have traditionally run in ASICS products and still do sometimes (mostly various pairs of Noosa and Nimbus from a variety of generations) and also like Brooks Glycerins, but for pure lightweight cushioning the Clifton is the champ. These are actually my favorite shoes for walking in, and I run in them too: they are great for pain alleviation. My only critique is intertwined with the padding: they give a higher center of gravity than you are likely used to and take a bit of getting used to; that in turn also results in a bit of rolling tendency of the ankle as there isn't a great deal of heel support in the Cliftons (I am naturally a heel striker.) The sole is quite lightweight and seems to scuff a bit and wear faster than other shoes I own, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for this degree of comfort.

All shoes are a compromise of some sort, and the Clifton is no exception: while it's not particularly supportive and may not wear as long as some other shoes, the advantages are clear: this is a super comfortable, very well padded shoe that is ideal for people with chronic foot pain associated with running. I liked the Clifton so much I bought a second pair within a month, so that should tell you all you need to know!

Forest Primeval
Forest Primeval
DVD ~ Dave Fife
Offered by Save and Rave Resale
Price: $6.66
22 used & new from $1.50

1.0 out of 5 stars A Movie That's Not Good Enough To Call "Terrible", April 20, 2015
This review is from: Forest Primeval (DVD)
I will open by saying that I like J. R. Bookwalter, who is the Executive Producer of this film. J. R. and Tempe Video have done some good work with small budgets over the years, although in all fairness, he also made "Chickboxer," one of the most unintentionally funny movies in history. "Forest Primeval" is made by the notorious Polonia brothers ("Peter Rottentail," etc.) and is one of their lesser accomplishments. I will tell you right off the bat that you can crank up the enjoyability of the picture about 74% by simply watching it with the Polonia brothers commentary enabled. That still won't make it good, but the dialogue and acting are so odious (and pointless) that you won't be missing anything by doing so.

This ultra-cheapy starts with a stock footage deer hunting domestic dispute, which left me with this question: why did the crabby woman go "hunting" with her equally unlikeable boyfriend in the first place if all she wanted to do was sit in the truck and listen to awful music anyway? If that's the question I'm asking than you know as an experienced B-movie veteran that there is only one answer: so she can get killed. In this case that's not a spoiler as it's so completely predictable. While all this deer stalking is going on there is an earthquake on Skull Mountain which unleashes the monster. The hunter "goes to check this out" and does the sensible thing, namely, he leaves his gun propped up against a tree. Now that I have told you this, what do you think his chances of a long, loving, fulfilled life are? I'll never tell. I will say that I loved the "monstervision" effect that involves psychedelic-colored segments from the monster's point of view, though later in the film some of them don't seem possible to be actual point of view shots, but, hey, it's a Polonia brothers film.

I might as well say now that the editing is migraine-inducing. It's just painful. It's horribly cut, with multiple flashbacks and flashforwards (I think; it's really hard to tell,) most of which involve Camille, who is haunted by clairvoyant monster visions and who goes to investigate up on the mountain. There's also a terrible monster in the shower scene edited in here, in case you were wondering. If you watched MST3K, you're familiar with "Deep Hurting" and "Hypno Helio Static Stasis," and, boy, let me tell you that "Forest Primeval" contains both in gobs. It is amazingly padded, with huge swaths of walking around in the woods and driving around in an old motorhome. So far we have Camille with a reason to be on Skull Mountain, but that's not all that's going on: there are also two guys in a camper looking for treasure with a metal detector. They are serious researchers of some sort, but I implore you to examine the hairstyles involved and just try not to laugh. Just try.

The film really struggles for plot coherence or dialogue, stooping to bioeffluents for a stab at humor. Sample dialogue: "Let me warn you: I may fart you out of the camper tonight." That this is followed by a gratuitous flatus sound effect should also not be a surprise. What might be a surprise is the dialogue that immediately follows concerning the Jolly Green Giant's bowel movements. Sadly, this is the most dramatic part of the film, though if you prefer light comedy you will absolutely adore the scene in which a woman running through the woods bonks her head on a tree and knocks herself out cold, and thus, renders herself easy pickings for the monster, complete with atrocious special effects. I will not reveal the entirely predictable ending (complete with bad synth music,) but I will say that if you want the ultimate eye-rolling laugh, do watch until the end.

The DVD has some extras, including a small making of featurette, featuring interviews with the Polonias, who discuss their relationship with Bookwalter and Tom Hoover, and explain how this film is an homage to "Evil Dead" and "Equinox," which is actually interesting. There are also deleted scenes, trailers, a poster gallery, and the best special feature, a commentary track with both Polonias. This commentary is much more interesting than the film itself, and the Polonia brothers seem like interesting and intelligent guys who just happen to make ghastly movies on no budget. I like microbudget films, and I like grade-Z monsters, but "Forest Primeval" tried even my patience.

Sof Sole Gel Heel Pad
Sof Sole Gel Heel Pad
Offered by Kudzu Jelly
Price: $6.48
9 used & new from $1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Low Profile Heel Pads For Any Type Of Shoes, April 20, 2015
This review is from: SOF SOLE Gel Heel Pad (Sports)
Sofsole makes good over the counter foot products in my experience. I generally put their full-length insoles in my athletic shoes, but those insoles are sometimes too large in volume to fit in more formal shoes, especially if you have a high arch. I rarely like heel cups or partial-length shoe inserts, but as a plantar fasciitis sufferer it is important to get more cushioning under the heel. These work very well for exactly that purpose, and their deliberate low profile design allows them to comfortably fit in any kind of shoes. They are made of a polymer with a tapered leading edge and have a gel area inset directly under the heel. Unlike some more expensive partial-length products I have tried, these don't shift around discernably in my shoes and remain comfortable all day. While they may not make your foot pain disappear, they definitely make time spent on your feet more comfortable at a very reasonable price.

Dynarex Instant Cold Pack, 4 Inches x 5 Inches, 24-Count
Dynarex Instant Cold Pack, 4 Inches x 5 Inches, 24-Count
Price: $14.40
13 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Cold Pack For Small Areas, April 20, 2015
These instant cold packs from Dynarex are handy for treating localized areas for a short time. They are rather small, but that's an advantage for me as I keep a couple in my luggage when I travel. They do get very cold, but since they are small there isn't much volume for the reactants inside and they don't hold their temperature very long (maybe 10 minutes as a guess.) They are difficult to activate by hand, and that's why they lose a star in my rating: the "Squeeze Together Here" instruction in bold print on the package is laughable. In fairness to Dynarex, other brands I have tried have the exact same problem, and I realize that you need to make the inner container easy enough to rupture that an average person can successfully activate it, but it can't be so easily activated that any slight compression in a piece of luggage or gym bag combines the reactants. If you have a problem activating the cold pack, just put it on the floor and step on it smartly. Works every time without any issues (I have never had the outer bag rupture.)

If you need a small cold pack for short duration activities, these Dynarex packs are a great value and work as well as other brands given their size.

Food Network Takeout Collection DVD - Good Eats With Alton Brown - Super Sweets 4 - Includes BONUS FOOTAGE Plus Citizen Cane / Tricks for Treats / Fudge Factor
5 used & new from $2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun With Sugar!, April 17, 2015
Alton Brown is at his best when he's showing off complex techniques distilled so those of us who aren't experts can understand. In the "Super Sweets 4" DVD from "Good Eats" Alton makes a lot of delicious things most of which require some cooking savvy, especially the chocolate taffy. The DVD comes with a handy mini cookbook to help guide your attempts to recreate these dishes. If you are new to making candy, I recommend starting with the peanut butter fudge recipe. No doubt all of these are good (I have not made them all,) but more importantly the shows that are presented here are fun and educational, illustrating numerous techniques that have applications far outside of these specific recipes.

As always, "Good Eats" is good TV, and I recommend this DVD highly.

Food Network Takeout Collection DVD - Good Eats With Alton Brown - Tossed Around - Includes BONUS FOOTAGE Plus Salad Daze 1 Caesar / Salad Daze 2 - The Long Arm of Slaw / This Spud's For You - Potato Salad
13 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Long Arm Of The Slaw, April 17, 2015
I love the playful episode titles from "Good Eats," and this DVD has its share of salad related puns. I like most salads and found the episodes on Caesar salad and slaw to be classic Alton Brown, and the accompanying small cookbook to be useful in attempting to recreate these recipes: try particularly "Hail Caesar Salad," "Veni Vidi Vinaigrette," "Asian Slaw," and "Beet Slaw," which the beet-phobic may find fear inducing, but which is actually great. I have to admit not caring for potato salad, so the recipes from "This Spud's For You" have gone unprepared in my house, though the episode itself is as informative and entertaining as always.

"Good Eats" is still the premier educational food show, and this is a great DVD for Alton Brown fans who are also into salads of all shapes, sizes, and compositions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20