Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Don Lance > Reviews

Browse

Don Lance's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Don Lance RSS Feed (Murfreesboro, TN United States)

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
26 used & new from $33.75

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with a Kindle, January 29, 2011
I've been waiting a while before deciding on an e-reader. Part of the reason was the cost has been high for some time, and I was not convinced that an e-reader would completely replace my "traditional" reading.

With the arrival of the Kindle Gen3 -- especially with WiFi and the reduced price -- that was the "tipping point".

In comparing with other e-readers available, only the Nook appeared to be worthy of consideration. Honestly, I think both of them seem to be great and other reviews do a great job of comparing them for features that may be important to you.

Why did I choose the Kindle? Well it was a close race, but in the end I thought the Kindle had a slightly better edge on some of the features -- battery life, light-weight, good screen size, etc.

I've now read a few e-books, and the experience has been a pleasant one. I like carrying a light-weight Kindle around instead of a lot of books. Over time I'm sure I'll save a lot of shelf space.

Even so, you should realize that it is an e-reader optimized for books like novels. Some B&W pictures and graphics can be included. But if you are accustomed to reading a lot of picture-laden works (like color magazines, picture books, etc.) then the Kindle is not for you. (The iPad may be better, but of course it's much heavier and harder on the eyes with its LCD screen.)

Another question people have is, "Do I want the 3G version?" Honestly, it depends on your reading & travel habits. I have the WiFi-only version, and I have no complaints. I'm rarely in a situation where I would need 3G. You would want 3G maybe if you travel a lot, expect to buy reading material "on the road", and don't expect to be around WiFi hotspots very often.

A related question is that I've seen some comments about the "experimental" web browser included with the Kindle. If you're buying the Kindle with the intent of surfing the Net with it, you're looking for the wrong product. Get a Netbook or something similar for your surfing. I consider the web browser "good enough" for what you expect in an e-reader. Remember -- this product is optimized for reading e-books, etc. NOT web surfing. And it is excellent as an e-reader.

Any complaints? A few, but they are minor. Occasionally I'll come across something I wished worked better, but they are not "critical" for me. For example, my magazine purchases I make on the Kindle cannot be "synched" through WhisperNet to my other Kindle Reading Apps. I contacted Kindle Tech Support about this one, and they confirmed it is not possible. (But maybe in the future.)

Overall -- I strongly recommend this product if you are an avid reader. If so, what are you waiting for? You won't regret it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely for any Polar HR owner with a bike, January 30, 2010
I bought this cycle attachment as I wanted to view my Polar HR information as I'm cycling. Wearing your Polar HR monitor on your wrist is a pain in some circumstances, as when you pedaling up a mountain and don't need to have your hands leave the handlebars. Yes, I could get yet another HR monitor just for my bike -- but I like to be versatile with what I already have.

You use the ties that come with it to attach to the bike. I haven't had any issues in almost a year of use and the original ties are still in place. The mount attaches easily, and you can read your HR data easily. I'd recommend to any HR monitor owner (wrist-band) who also wants to use it while cycling.

Seirus Innovation 1431 Hyperlite All Weather Polartec Cold Weather Winter Glove
Seirus Innovation 1431 Hyperlite All Weather Polartec Cold Weather Winter Glove
Price: $17.35
6 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars How can they be warm when so thin?, January 30, 2010
I've been wanting a pair of these ever since I once tried them on. I like having warm gloves, but don't like "bulky" gloves that take up space in your pockets. These gloves fit the bill. Also, they're attractive so you can wear them with nicer clothes.

I've used them mainly as a standalone glove, but they can easily be an "inner glove" if you want even more protection from the cold. I've sometimes noticed that I can feel cold in them when there's a strong, biting wind -- but other than that, I'm very satisfied with them.

Only complaint -- keep them away from velcro, if you have any on your coat, etc. The velcro "picks" at the glove fabric, making it "fuzzy". I assume this weakens the glove material.

It appears they would be good gloves for cold outdoor sports (such as cycling in winter) but I haven't tried it yet.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive SATA
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive SATA
3 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good deal for a great drive, January 30, 2010
Bought this HDD as I needed to expand the storage on an old system that had a 120GB SATA-1 drive. The old SATA drive is a Seagate Barracuda, and has lasted an amazing 5 years. So that influenced my decision to buy another one.

Installation was a snap, and it's working great. Definitely a very good drive for a great deal. Only thing to note is that it wasn't clear what was included with the drive. There is no SATA cable for the motherboard, so you'll need to shell out another $20 or so for that. Make sure you have an extra SATA power connector for the drive too.

Also, if you have any SATA1/SATA2 compatibility issues (I did), you'll need a jumper to put on the drive. (Not included.) Still, I'd definitely buy it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 4:22 PM PST

Polar F6 Men's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Black Coal, New Design)
Polar F6 Men's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Black Coal, New Design)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first-time purchase for a HRM, March 5, 2009
I haven't owned a HRM before, and decided to purchase one to make improvements in my bicycling goals. It's a recommended purchase. Since purchasing it, I've noticed very quick improvements once I based my training on suggested heart rates that I monitored with this HRM.

The unit comes with a chest transmitter that has a strap for a "medium" chest. I have a 48" chest, and after extending its buckle to the maximum it fits just right. If you have a chest diameter of more than this (where it is attached to the chest) you will need to purchase a larger strap. I've seen the straps for sale and they are less than $10. The strap seems to stay in place for most of my exercises, although I've had to adjust it a couple of times when it began to "ride down" my chest.

I've also discovered the T31 transmitter that comes with this unit also works with a lot of cardio machines you find in gyms. So this is very handy... you don't have to look at the HRM itself all the time, but you can keep an eye on what is reported on the cardio machine equipment. That was a nice "extra" I didn't expect.

The HRM unit itself had all the basic features I was looking for. I think it's a great "first monitor" if you've never had one before. It's enough to accomplish any immediate goals you have and will make you think about other features you may want in more expensive HRMs. I've found it sufficient for my purposes.

The menus take a little time to learn, but within a day you'll have it. One thing I have wished for on the HRM is that it seems you can only be monitoring for a single "zone" during an exercise session. I have 3 zones I want to include in my exercise program, so I have to manually change the zone limits each time I want to train in a different zone. That's a hassle for me... how many of you can remember all your zone limits?

One one thing I have wished for on this HRM is the ability to delete old logs. They stay until they finally fall out of a time range. When I first purchased the HRM, I had 3 "play sessions" to learn how it works. Later I accidentally turned on the HRM when I was going to the gym. This created 4 "fake training sessions" that I cannot remove in the history log. Whenever I upload my training sessions to Polar's personal trainer web site, these "fake sessions" show up each time and I have to manually delete them. It would be great to be able to remove these directly from the HRM itself and not have to do this each time.

Anyway -- I still recommend it. It's a great first purchase of a HRM.

SanDisk Sansa e250 2 GB MP3 Player with microSD Expansion Slot (Black)
SanDisk Sansa e250 2 GB MP3 Player with microSD Expansion Slot (Black)
Offered by HTF Products
Price: $249.99
12 used & new from $46.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portable player -- very versatile, good for a first-time purchase, March 29, 2008
I've now been using this player for almost a month, and I am very pleased with it. It is very compact and has a great collection of features for its size and cost. I would recommend this product especially to a beginner who has never owned a MP3 player before. There are enough other features to "wet your appetite" for more.

Always get more memory if you have the chance, but honestly I've found that for my lifestyle the internal 2GB has been plenty. The extra slot for an additional 2GB microSD is a great "backup plan" if you discover you need more.

I thought the earphones that shipped with the unit were rather low quality, so I eventually purchased a separate set that were much better. Also you receive a small cloth pouch to carry & protect the unit, but I think in most situations you would want to buy their separate accessories... they protect the unit much better and make it easier to carry around.

Overall, I am very pleased with the unit itself. Would I buy it again? Oh yes!