Profile for MrP3T3 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MrP3T3 RSS Feed

GALAPAGOS 3D - Charles Darwin's Big Adventure (Blu-ray 3D & 2D Version) REGION FREE
DVD ~ -

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely boring, repetitious video, October 31, 2013
Galapagos 3D, Africa 3D, Amazon 3D, Papua 3D. All, apparently, by the same company; they are all horrible. Stultifyingly boring video (although with nice 3D, especially the underwater footage in this title) together with bad narration and music. Kind of like the video equivalent of ambient music (and I don't mean Brian Eno; I mean Muzak). Good for insomnia. NOT like a BBC production (e.g. Life, Planet Earth; THOSE should be released in 3D, but alas they were not shot with 3D cameras). Very low budget/ rushed feel to it. I gave an extra star for the price, but if you're expecting a quality, informative nature video then you will be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 7:14 PM PST

AMAZON 3D - In The Heart Of Wild Nature (Blu-ray 3D & 2D Version) REGION FREE
AMAZON 3D - In The Heart Of Wild Nature (Blu-ray 3D & 2D Version) REGION FREE
DVD ~ Kenneth Wright
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be entitled "Amazon 3D: In the Heart of Wild Foliage", October 27, 2013
If you *love* slow moving camera pans of sometimes somewhat interesting green leafy vegetation and the odd fungus then this is the one for you. Don't forget the few minutes of heart pounding footage of wild animals in their enclosures at what must pass for a rainforest roadside attraction. The video is dominated by some interestingly layered footage of rainforest flora, which could be included in a BBC or other legitimate production company's transition scenes. Good cure for insomnia. I gave 3 stars because the cinematography is often interesting to look at. I'm not sure who put up the money for these productions (I include Galapagos 3D, Wild Africa 3D, and Papua 3D in this statement. They appear to have been made by the same production company) but I would imagine they're a little disappointed. Kind of the visual equivalent of ambient music. But not too bad for the price.

Sylvania 78911 14-Watt A19 Ultra LED Bulb
Sylvania 78911 14-Watt A19 Ultra LED Bulb
Offered by BulbAmerica
Price: $30.60
12 used & new from $18.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dimmability, May 15, 2013
Bought some of these at a big box hardware store to put in a 6 bulb chandelier I have on a dimmer. They are pricey, but I figured I could return them easily if they were not suitable. I also liked the fact that they're advertised as having a 2700K color. I would say they're a bit more blue than 2700K, but they are a perfect replacement for soft white incandescents. Also, to my surprise, they dimmed down practically to nothing. On a standard 9 year old dimmer switch. I had some cheaper 13W off brand LED bulbs in my daughter's ceiling fan and she complained that she couldn't dim them enough. I took 3 of these out of the chandelier and tried them in her ceiling fan and they dimmed very low. I always thought I was going to have to rip out her fan controller and put in 2 switches for the fan, one with an LED dimmer. I came to Amazon and bought more of these for a larger chandelier after the big box store raised their price by $5 per bulb. Also, these bulbs have an excellent angle of dispersion because of the fact that the individual LEDs are spaced out over the top and sides of the bulbs. The other LED bulbs I have shine almost all of their light up from the top of the bulb, but these shine a significant amount downward also, like a standard A19 incandescent bulb. These are expensive, as name brand LEDs are, but the angle of light output, the dimmability, and the lumen output are all excellent. I took off one star for price, but you're not going to currently find a better A19 incandescent replacement. BTW - I heard no buzzing on any of the fixtures I have them in.

Benchmark by Viribright LED Light Bulb 1100 Lumen Dimmable 18W Par38 Indoor Warm (Soft White) 2800K  (75W Direct Replacement)
Benchmark by Viribright LED Light Bulb 1100 Lumen Dimmable 18W Par38 Indoor Warm (Soft White) 2800K (75W Direct Replacement)
Offered by Boho Tronics (Proudly Ships From the USA)
Price: $23.12
6 used & new from $15.95

2.0 out of 5 stars More like CFL color than halogen, and had 80% failure rate within 1 month, March 7, 2013
These bulbs throw A LOT of light for their wattage. But the 2800K color is not a true match for halogen bulbs. Also, these should definitely be classified as floods, since they don't focus their beam at all. I like the bulbs over all, but if you have par38 halogen spots or even floods these will not give you the same sort of focused beams, nor are they an exact color match (2700K is; these are 2800K). If you're looking to get as much light per watt without concern for the focused light of halogen par38s then these are fine (These say they're 75W replacements but they were brighter than the 90W halogens they replaced). Except for the failure rate. I had to replace 8 of 10 bulbs that I initially bought. Seemed to be some sort of issue with the electronics, as there was a noticeable fried electronics smell when the bulbs went. They would start to dim and then flicker before they would fail. But the replacements I received from Amazon (definitely only buy from them; they cross shipped replacements overnight and emailed return UPS labels without ANY hassle) are all still working fine. I put these in some 6" cans I have in my basement after my wife kept telling me that the light wasn't as aesthetically pleasing to her in our kitchen as our old halogens. Ended up going with 18 watt Philips 2700K bulbs there and those she liked. The Philips were 50% more expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for as far as build quality and color temperature.

Philips 420166 10-Watt (35-Watt) MR16 LED 2700K (Warm White) Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Offered by advedia
Price: $22.69
8 used & new from $6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars True drop in replacement for 50W halogens, March 7, 2013
I tried 3 other, cheap bulbs to replace my 50W halogen MR16s before I finally found a suitable replacement with these. I've found with some par38 bulbs that I replaced that a good rule of thumb is to get an LED bulb that is about 20% of the wattage of a halogen you want to replace. Color temp NEEDS to be 2700K to match a halogen's color. And after trying more than a few other brands, I've found that philips 2700K bulbs seem to be the bulb of choice to match halogens exactly. They weren't my first choice due to their higher cost, but you'll save shipping hassle and costs if you go with them first. I am not a shill for philips; they just make the best drop in replacements for halogen bulbs. Can't comment re sylvania as I haven't tried them, but at he risk of being repetitive, the philips bulbs I've bought are simply the equivelant of halogen bulbs at about 20% of the wattage!

Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
Offered by Shield Distribution
Price: $16.96
11 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensor compatible with Logitech Harmony, December 20, 2012
This thing is great!. It not only controls all Media Center functions, but also has a "close" button (bottom left on the remote) that closes other programs and will even bring up a menu to power off your computer if the desktop is in focus. A very nice feature not available on most MCE remotes is a D pad type control which moves the mouse, along with left and right click buttons. Says it's for Vista (I guess these were designed a while ago) but is completely compatible with Windows 7 (haven't tried it with XP MCE). I got a Logitech Harmony 650 to control my TV and HDMI reciever and was given a device type (ORtec VRC-1100) that allows me to control MOST fuctions of the MCE remote with the Harmony (Notably there is no trackpad for mouse control).Great product; one downside is the cord for the sensor is only about 20-24" long.

A Haunting in Salem [Blu-ray 3D]
A Haunting in Salem [Blu-ray 3D]
DVD ~ Bill Oberst Jr.
Price: $34.95
6 used & new from $19.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A primer on how 3D should look, August 6, 2012
This is, above all else, a B-movie horror flick, but I thought it creepy enough, although my wife didn't (I have my suspicions that that's just because it was in 3D, but that's another story). There's enough of the cheap horror film scariness, gore and plot twists to keep it entertaining. If you're not into that kind of thing you probably won't like this. But this film was shot beautifully as far as the 3D goes. Every shot is visually very interesting. It doesn't really have a lot of the so called OOS (Out of screen) effects that other reviewers seem to live for, but to me those actually detract from a 3D film. What it does have is 3D effects in nearly every shot. Many 3D movies can leave you forgetting the film is shot in 3D (Resident Evil in 3D comes to mind); not this one. I'm not sure how this is done exactly, maybe they increse the depth of field by using a high f-stop on the lens, but you really get a pronounced 3D effect in the vast majority of this movie. All the scenery and actors pop. Next time I watch I'll pay more attention to the sterographers' credits (3D cinematography) to see what else they've shot. This is how it should be done, at least in that respect.

ASUS XONAR DG Headphone Amp & PCI 5.1 Audio Card
ASUS XONAR DG Headphone Amp & PCI 5.1 Audio Card
Price: $26.36
66 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nonfunctional for 5.1 via SPDIF, December 12, 2011
I have returned this item because I bought it to have a DDL output to my digital only 5.1 speakers. Unfortunately, while it does have a TOSLINK connector, the only option available via SPDIF in the Asus control panel is for PCM encoding, which is only 2 channel. DO NOT buy this if you wish to enable Dolby Digital Live or DTS over the digital connection. This option is just not available in the drivers (and probably the hardware) for this device.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 5:16 AM PDT