Profile for Kcrck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kcrck RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Horns [HD]
Horns [HD]
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Radcliffe cannot save this film., October 29, 2014
This review is from: Horns [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
If you want to watch a really bad teen movie that is trying to be a Terry Gilliam film, here's your treasure chest.

Terrible.

Alien Uprising
Alien Uprising
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't care that it doesn't fit in your boxes of what a movie should be. This was fun to watch., December 23, 2013
So many negative reviews online about this movie. I'm going to thumb my nose at them.

Most complain that the movie doesn't seem to know what it's about, or that it can't decide what genre it's in or that some of it seems random and out of place, or that the special effects are bad or that the acting is less than...blah blah blah.

Here's my take: Just sit back and accept it, it is enjoyable to watch (AFTER THE FIRST TEN MINUTES--you have to stick with it). By the end, I was wondering what happened. The movie has some confusing bits, the acting, at points, is frustrating, the camera moving in a circle outside the supermarket made me dizzy, the special effects were puzzlingly bad (might have been intentional...not sure), but somehow...

I enjoyed it.

So give this one a try. It may not adhere to the usual formula or fit in the usual boxes. Square peg/round hole sort of thing...

Oblivion
Oblivion
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Cruise in another Tom Cruise movie, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Oblivion (Amazon Instant Video)
If you like Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise then you'll love this movie. This was a true disappointment. It had such potential. But the film is all special effects and predictable plot twists.

Don't bother.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I wanted to watch, February 21, 2013
I sat down and saw that there was this new Battlestar Galactica, and, having seen all of them, was excited. I got just what I'd hoped for...straight fracking Battlestar fighting and drama. Win.

Elementary, Season 1
Elementary, Season 1
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still could get there...kind of fun to watch while it tries., December 20, 2012
I should preface this review by stating that I am a Sherlock fan. I've read a couple and I've seen all of them (save a few silent films). From Jeremy Brett (stellar) to Robert Stevens (ick) to Benedict Cumberbatch (solid...very). This show has some fun with the Sherlock model, casting a female as Watson who is, true to form, an actual doctor --though minus the war scars. She coaches (or attempts to) Sherlock on social skills as he struggles with addiction, also paying homage to the original. The pair are fun to watch as Sherlock slowly insinuates himself into every part of Watson's life, and drags her from one grizzly crime scene to another.

However...
They haven't gone anywhere. The overarching story seems secondary to the CSI -like formulaic crime drama. The cases became old hat and standardized by the end of the season, and Sherlock's "brilliant" deductions are often lackluster. This Sherlock doesn't really seem as much the genius as I'd say he should. He comes across as a bit of a savant--good at picking puzzles apart, and with a flare for snooping. And, thus far, the story has gone nowhere. There are no villains left standing, no one who truly challenges Sherlock, and there is no actual plot that ties one episode to another aside from a blah-blah-blah-I'm-an-addict schtick. At the end of each episode they give you a grey's anatomy song and get nice and sentimental about themselves. It's as predictable as much of the dialog between an exasperated Watson and an overbearing Sherlock becomes.

Overall, this show could, possibly, grow into a story and a show that has depth and range and something with a meatier entertainment value, but it's not there yet. In fact, I was getting pretty bored by the end, and one of my roommates swore it off at the second to last episode (saying he couldn't keep watching the same story over and over). That said, I did watch the entire season...the actors were well played and I'm, well, a glutton for Sherlock.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 11:40 PM PDT

Lovely Molly
Lovely Molly
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars What I want from horror., October 2, 2012
Some people expect torture and plenty of gore, others just want repeated jump thrills, and still others want to guess what order the characters will die.

For me, I want gore to be warranted and rare, jumpy moments to be interspersed with guessing, and, most of all, I want good acting, plot and script.

Lovely Molly does it for me. It has unexpected moments, side-steps the straight found footage genre with a unique back and forth in camera style, kept me guessing as to whether I was watching paranormal or just plain crazy, and the acting, directing and script writing were spot on.

Most of all, I can honestly say I was, through the duration of this film, entertained...which is why we watch, right?

Part 1: Get Some
Part 1: Get Some
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Important: Do not give up on this show., August 22, 2012
Okay, when I first started watching this show I had to stop myself from either falling asleep or throwing something at the screen. The "bro" and uber-homoerotic scenes added to the complete lack of action I had intended to sit down and watch, and were frustrating. A lot of it seemed trite and obvious.

Here's the thing though. They nailed it. First, the actors get a bit better at saying things like "bro," but, more importantly, the series as a whole gives one of the best portrayals of this war I've yet to encounter. There is this rush to take down an enemy that is only sometimes there to fight, and the first episodes make you feel the frustration (not to say that I wish there had been more bloodshed in the war) and even boredom of the ready-to-do-this troops. This slog continues, with moments, little glimpses of what is trying to be portrayed. By the "end" of the series, mirroring the false end of the war, the pace and action pick up. So one is left with the impression that the real fighting didn't even start until the end was declared.

It can seem that the writers were at times trying to glamorize certain characters and character traits, but don't make the assumptions. Watch this all the way through before passing judgement. Characters aren't good or bad, they are all like-able and dislike-able in their own time, and the reality of that portrayal left me with the impression, but only by the end of the series, that I had seen something real.

Kudos to the writers and producers of this show. This may not be the most popular format for storytelling, and at times is difficult to get in to, but by the end they make it all work.

Invasion
Invasion
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent show, but the price is absurd...all avail. on Netflix, August 22, 2012
Wow, even HBO series, which I thought were by far the most expensive (often worth it though), don't charge this much. This series should get five stars, but, because of the price, I had to knock two stars off. $8 with no option to rent? Not going to happen. Especially since I can watch all six seasons on netflix for less than that per month. Maybe they are supposed to be $1.99 and someone mis-keyed it? If you really want to see this series, take your $8 and buy a month of Netflix and you can watch all the seasons for less than the price of one episode. Ridiculous...

Gravilux
Gravilux
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup. That's what I've been looking for. Potential utilized., July 23, 2012
This review is from: Gravilux (App)
Playful touchscreen beauty-maker. Colors bouncing off the physics engine. I would only ask that the creator keep creating these. I don't need a ton of options (recording or changing speed). I like the simplicity. Hand it to a child or an adult, they will be equally rapt. If I were to offer any suggestion for the next app, I'd say let us play with more than just pixels at a time, give me shapes or bubbles to play with. Love the gradient color schemes.

Just all sorts of awesome. Thank you!

USA TODAY
USA TODAY
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect on fire, July 22, 2012
This review is from: USA TODAY (App)
This app was made for my kindel fire and is one of the best news apps I have used...thx Usa today!

Page: 1 | 2