Profile for C > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 389

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C RSS Feed (Guilford, CT USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Footloose American: Following the Hunter S. Thompson Trail Across South America
by Brian Kevin
Price: $10.93
73 used & new from $6.26

3.0 out of 5 stars The person who actually took the road less traveled., July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As far as travel books go, this one is a must read. It's about the road less traveled that all of us aspire to do. It's also about Hunter S. Thompson the guy who actually did take a road less traveled across South America.

While many of us leave home with our one-bag carry-on with the best intentions of taking the route less traveled, to seek new and unusual adventures, we ultimate end up following others. Whether we end up following what Lonely Planet recommends, or throwing ourselves away from the Rick Steves' crowd only to find ourselves in the midst of a gaggle of tourists with the same intentions, the thing is - we tried.

Parts of of Hunter S. Thompson's trip is ingenious, gutsy and parts of it are just plain stupid and dangerous.

Inspiring and a refreshing read for aspiring travelers and those on the road currently suffering from travel fatigue.

Lucian Freud: Eyes Wide Open (Icons)
Lucian Freud: Eyes Wide Open (Icons)
by Phoebe Hoban
Price: $13.67
57 used & new from $6.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief overview of Lucien Freud's life and how it impacted his art., July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This a very brief overview of the life of Lucien Freud and how it impacted his art. It touches on different areas of his life sourced from interviews with family, friends and associates, but fails to show much of his work. As this review in on the Advance Reader's Copy, there are no photos included. However, the final finished product is supposed to contain a mere four pages of his work. This fails to fully illustrate his scope as an artist and how each part of his life and his relationship with each and every person (and type of person) expressed itself uniquely in each piece.

Lucien Freud was talented, eccentric and obsessive and overall very prolific.

I would recommend this book as a brief overview into the artist's life, but would also recommend additional research into his art as a companion to this book.

Jet Set: The People, the Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years
by William Stadiem
Price: $17.71
66 used & new from $13.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy and poorly written., July 6, 2014
What a let down.

I was really looking forward to be reading this book. I remember hearing stories around the kitchen table and seeing photos of famous people and beautiful people with my grandfather, great uncles and uncles who were pilots during the time period that this book is set in. It all sounded and looked so glamorous. So naturally I was hoping to read stories from other people with similar experiences as well.

What was so disappointing is the style in which it was written. It just seemed too gossipy. Many names were dropped and It did not seem like a human story that would be shared around the family table. This may be in part to the way it was edited. It seemed more like mismatched collection of cuttings from a tabloid or recycled hearsay from the water cooler rather than a memoir or a personal collection of genuine human stories from the pilots themselves.

While some people may like the gossipy undertone, this was not for me.

Wilson Jones Heavy Duty D-Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 1-Inch, White (W385-14WPP1)
Price: $7.49
3 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and convenient., July 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I volunteer at several dog rescues and we really use and abuse our binders. We use them for event planning, keeping track of fosters, adopters and potential adopters and potential fosters. We also use them to keep track of individual health records of each dog. While a large filing cabinet might be more economical considering how quickly binders fall apart from what we put them through, we need the information to be portable so it can go from volunteer to volunteer and then back into filing.

These binders seem to have a stronger and sturdier mechanism than most so we are hoping that they will last longer. We usually buy whatever is the cheapest and/or on sale due to our limited budget. Money is better spent on the dogs we rescue anyways.

A nice plus the see-through cover. We like to put quick reference list on the top such as important pone numbers or the event schedule .

Overall recommended but I will report back as to how long it really lasts and if it really does stand up to our abuse.

Wilson Jones Ultra Duty Round Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 2-Inch, White (W87908PP3)
Price: $10.79
3 used & new from $10.79

4.0 out of 5 stars See-through front pocket, strong mechanism,, July 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I volunteer with several dog rescues and sometimes have to manage and file paperwork on individual dog health histories, rescue events and on prospective fosters and potential adopters. As a result, binders take a lot of use and abuse from all the constant opening and closing and being toted around from volunteer to volunteer.

So far, these binders seem sturdier than most and I'm hoping that the mechanism will outlast others. We are at the point where we just buy whatever is on sale and the cheapest because of how quickly we wear these down.

A very nice bonus with these binders is that they have a see-though pockets where we can keep a quick referral list. It's convenient for checking event schedules, and having important phone numbers ready-at-hand during events without ahving to open and sort through the binder.

Overall recommended but I will update later as to how long these last. So far, we're hopeful.

L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Cleansing Foam
L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Cleansing Foam
Price: $28.00
2 used & new from $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle yet effective cleanser., July 2, 2014
I love this product.

Pros:
+ Does not irritate my sensitive skin (even when sunburnt).
+ Gently cleans oil and grime from my face yet it does not feel stripped of all moisture.
+ Foams just enough but not too much during actual face washing
+ The product rinses off cleanly and does not leave slimy residue
+ There is a scent but it is not overpowering or overly strong.
+ Foaming pump feels like I'm being more economical with the product
+ Refills are available for this product.
+ The bottle is refillable and reusable.
+ The foaming pump produces a consistent foam and does not squirt liquid near the end of each push like cheaper foam-pumps

Cons:
- A bit pricey but something I would splurge on.

Highly recommended.

Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Essential Grooming Kit
Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Essential Grooming Kit
Offered by Megan's Mailing Merchandise
Price: $23.45
4 used & new from $23.45

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality implements but disappointing case., June 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a 5-piece gentleman's grooming kit. It contains a small nail clipper, a pointed tweezer, a blunt-ended pair of sharp grooming scissors, a metal nail file and a leatherette (pleather) case to slip them all in.

Pros:
+ Good quality implements
+ Nail clipper is sharp and cuts cleanly without creating burrs.
+ Metal nail file is sturdy and smooths out nail-ends
+ Metal nail file has a pointed nail cleaner on the end that can gently clean under the nails. If anything more is needed then washing with a nail brush is recommended.
+ Blunt-ended scissors have sharp effective edges and enable safe grooming of nose and ear hairs
+ Pointed tweezers are good for picking out and removing ingrown hairs on the neck and face from shaving.

Cons:
- Small kit with limited selection of tools. Flat-slant tweezer is needed for regular tweezing. Plus, a larger nail clipper is needed for toe nails. An additional nail brush would completed the set.
- Closure is the leatherette case is poor.
- Case is just a single slip pocket instead of having sewn-in sections; the implements rub and bump against each other.

Overall a nice gift for someone who isn't too demanding. I would have liked a better case to protect the implements. However this is still a very decent kit and a good value at this price.

Recommended for the good quality implements.

Loopers: A Caddie's Twenty-Year Golf Odyssey
Loopers: A Caddie's Twenty-Year Golf Odyssey
by John Dunn
Price: $18.29
78 used & new from $0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars On being a Caddy in the western hemisphere., June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every now and again there's a book that contains an interesting story from an angle different than most. This book is an easy and enjoyable read for those interested in golf and specifically the interesting things that a club Caddy experiences every once in a while during his career. If you enjoy golf and chatting with your Caddy or career Caddies around the club, then this book would appeal to you.

I enjoyed this book and plan on recommending it to my dad who loves to chat with the Caddies and pros in the golf courses he plays at both home and abroad.

Bounty Select-A-Size Paper Towels, White, 2 Huge Rolls, Pack of 6 (12 Rolls) (Packaging May Vary)
Price: $29.89
2 used & new from $24.56

4.0 out of 5 stars It is more absorbent., June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the past 15 years I have used the Seventh Generation brand of paper towels. While they are moderately absorbent and are suitable for most household tasks, Bounty is just a joy to use.

Pros:
+ Much more absorbent than Seventh Generation
+ Select-a-size helps with being less wasteful
+ Available in plain white

Cons:
- Made from virgin fiber and not made of recycled paper.
- Bleached to be white.
- Expensive
- Too absorbent for certain cleaning duties. For window cleaning it absorbs too much cleaner so more cleaner is used.

Overall I really like using Bounty for cleaning up liquid messes. However I would not switch over entirely as I feel that less absorbent paper towels do other cleaning duties better. There is definitely space in my kitchen for both Bounty for thigns and my usual Seventh Generation for others.

In an ideal world, I would really like to see the Bounty people come out with a more eco-friendly product if possible.

Tomcat Wooden Rat Trap
Tomcat Wooden Rat Trap
Price: $6.76
12 used & new from $0.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Set but hasn't caught anything yet., June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have either a roof rat or some sort of squirrel or chipmunk in our attic. There are small piles of spindle-shaped poop scattered all over part of the attic.

We set a few different traps to see which one would work as rats are notoriously cautious about changes in their surroundings. Right now the Tomcat Wooden Rat Trap is baited with peanut butter and birdseed. Our Victor Wood trap is baited with peanut butter and bacon grease. Plus we have a Victor battery powered zap trap set just in case.

So far we haven't caught anything and the poop is still fresh and shiny. I will report back when we do (or fail to) catch anything.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20