Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL
Profile for G. Denny > Reviews

G. Denny's Profile

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Denny RSS Feed (Northern California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Full90 Performance Soccer Headgear Premier
Full90 Performance Soccer Headgear Premier
Price: $29.99 - $88.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctors are not physicists!, January 21, 2014
I've read many reviews on this product prior to purchase. Some from people with IQ's north or 150, some half that. I've researched it online and I have seen MD's weigh in on the subject. What I have realized is that the opinion you get is relative to the basic understanding or simple physics and that usually has a direct correlation to the aforementioned IQ without regard to letters behind a name.

Once you understand that concussion is an injury of deceleration, rather than acceleration, it's easier to understand the practical use of this product. To explain the mechanism of acceleration with rapid deceleration as it pertains to head injury, you must apply Newtonian formulas to calculate forces on the head and brain. These formulas assist in calculating the stresses and energy displacement, such as in motor vehicle crashes. Severity of head injury, measured as the force of acceleration and deceleration, can be determined from such analyses. Deceleration, which must by definition follow acceleration, is the key to the forces in concussion. Deceleration is negative acceleration or decreasing velocity over time. I cannot post the formula for calculating such because it doesn't format, but just assume there is one and it's real.

Anyone with a basic understanding of physics will know that if you place anything that adsorbs energy between an object and another object striking it, you reduce acceleration and therefore limit deceleration as found in concussions. Even wrapping a towel around someones head and then headbutting another will provide some protection from a concussion. If you don't believe me, wrap a baseball in Styrofoam then hit it with a bat and see how far it goes. Remove Styrofoam and repeat and see what happens. Rapid acceleration of the brain and then sudden deceleration when it hits the other side of the skull is what causes the concussion. Reduce acceleration and you reduce forces in deceleration. It's that simple! For licensed MD's and other professionals to state that there is no evidence that this product works is ridiculous.

Do doctors weigh in on whether seat belts work, or do we look to engineers and scientists skilled in the laws of physics? Do we ask doctors to evaluate ballistics and offer testimony regarding gun shot trajectory and velocity? I think not.

Here's the truth about what this product is and what it does:

It's a glorified Styrofoam headband made to look semi-attractive enough for a female soccer player to wear it. Does it work in "reducing" concussion? Absolutely it does, based on the simple laws of physics. Does it "prevent" concussion; of course not, that's just silly! I imagine that if you could get your preteen or teen soccer player to wear a jello mold stuffed with packing peanuts on their head it too would reduce concussion, but that's not going to happen.

My 10 year old actually likes the way it looks, and she has the gravitas to wear it with pride. I'm happy knowing that she has something between her head and that other girl's when they collide at full speed. Understanding physics, I know that the little bit of energy absorption it provides can be the difference between a mild concussion, no concussion or a skull fracture.

There are 2 questions regarding this product and the answers to them are both 100% certain.

1) Does it help in the prevention of concussion:
With 100% certainty it helps prevent concussion.

2) Does it prevent concussion?
With 100% certainty it cannot prevent a concussion.

When people are savvy enough to understand the difference, the world will be a brighter place!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2015 6:40 PM PST

Lightspeed® Quick Canopy with Removable Side Wall (Red/Gray)
Lightspeed® Quick Canopy with Removable Side Wall (Red/Gray)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Cabanas, January 4, 2014
I searched high and low to find the perfect shade for the long days watching my daughter play soccer. Some tournaments last all day and it can be brutal in the sun, wind and cold. She plays year round and I needed a solution; I found it in this product. This is a big canopy at 95 X 95. There is plenty of room for all your gear and the best part is that you can put a regular sized quad chair in there without hitting the top or obstructing the view out, as opposed to one of those low to the ground beach things. (sorry, don't the name of them) The included side wall is a huge plus and it works well. I wish it attached better to the sides because it does not fully close along the top, but it gets the job done and this one with the side wall actually sells for less than the one without.

The best part is that it works well in the cold too. Yes, it's sunny and cold at the same time here and It's been getting colder and I put my Buddy heater in the corner where the walls meet and it heats up nicely. Mr Heater F232000 Indoor Safe Portable

If it can get me through the 2014 soccer season I'll be a happy camper!

Camco 55233 30 AMP Male / 15 AMP Female Electrical PowerGrip Adapter
Camco 55233 30 AMP Male / 15 AMP Female Electrical PowerGrip Adapter
Price: $6.52
77 used & new from $3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., July 3, 2013
Tent trailer is 15 Amps, campsite hookup is 30 Amps. Buy adapter, plug RV into adapter, plug adapter into hookup.

Problem solved. Not rocket science.

Camco 58031 "Little Red Campfire" Portable Propane Camp Fire
Camco 58031 "Little Red Campfire" Portable Propane Camp Fire
Price: $94.19
44 used & new from $94.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great campfire, May 29, 2013
Length:: 0:18 Mins

It's not too big and it's not to small. Don't let the size fool you, this thing delivers. Contrary to some reviews, it does provide a good amount of heat, especially when warmed up and running for a while. I was surprised to see that the fake logs actually heat up enough to glow red and they produce heat too once they get to that point; even after turning it off. Another plus is that the base stays relatively cool. By cool I mean that it won't burn a hole on a wood floor. It can still burn you if you place your hand on it for any length of time.

The video has it set to around 60% of max. It's on this setting because that's where the propane hiss is not distractingly noticeable. The video does have sound and you can only hear a faint hiss and this is ideal. If you turn it up to max you get very tall flames but a very loud hiss. hHe flame height at the 60% setting is adequate and produces a nice ambiance and heat, especially in a relatively enclosed setting as I had it.

This is a 5 star product all the way.

Coleman Pack-Away® Deluxe Camp Kitchen
Coleman Pack-Away® Deluxe Camp Kitchen
27 used & new from $90.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camp kitchen., May 29, 2013
The kitchen is a great addition to the camping gear. I had the chance to use it over the Memorial Day weekend is it was terrific. For the size and weight, I find it to be fairly good quality. Any heavier materials would reduce the portability so I think the balance of strength and weight is just about right. Yes, the paper towel holder is useless, but as someone else suggested in a review, you can just slide the towel roll onto the lantern pole prior to installation.

If you ever do KOA (k)amping, and stay in a cabin, these fit perfectly on the porch and it makes for a great cooking space. (see picture) It felt like home. The product is definitely worth the money and it's an even better value when you can get it on sale with free shipping.

Intex Whale Ride-On, 76" X 47", for Ages 3+
Intex Whale Ride-On, 76" X 47", for Ages 3+
Offered by ZANY Values
Price: $11.48
57 used & new from $8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun for the Summer!, May 27, 2013
Length:: 1:29 Mins

This is a great toy and not as difficult to master as people seem to think. I agree that the picture of the product is deceiving, but for different reasons than most are stating. The picture shows the kids sitting on the back of the whale near the dorsal fin; this is impossible in the water and you will surely tip over. The picture was obviously taken out of the water. The whale inflates in 2 parts, the upper body and the tail inflate separately thus creating a pocket where one can sit and hold the handles like handle bars on a chopper. Once you figure that out, it's fairly easy to get on it. You have to hop on from the back. If you try getting on from the sides, it will tip. The girls in the video are 10 and they got on and off and rode without issues.

The whale was a huge hit and everyone was asking where to get one. Had I known it was going to be so popular I would have taken more and let all the kids ride them. At this price-point it makes sense to get more than one. It was ridden hard for many, many hours over the 3 day Memorial Day weekend and it neither popped nor lost air. This is a very good buy and you should get one(some) for Summer pool fun!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Griffin PowerJolt SE Car Charger with Lightning Connector (GC36547)
Griffin PowerJolt SE Car Charger with Lightning Connector (GC36547)
Offered by Griffin Tech
Price: $14.99
39 used & new from $4.45

4.0 out of 5 stars I must be missing something..., February 21, 2013
Length:: 0:26 Mins

From the "it doesn't fit" to the Gremlin inspired "Bright Light Bright Light" claims, I almost passed on this one. I own the previous version for pre-iPhone 5 phones, but was concerned that I may go blind while driving and/or crash into a tree whilst trying to jam the plug into my, possibly uniquely undersized and apparently not at all standardized car plug. I felt bold and ordered it anyway.

When it came, the first surprise was that it did not require that I fetch power tools to get the package open. It wasn't hermetically sealed in Carbonite Ala Han Solo, so I was immediately encouraged. Once I had it out of the package, I compared it's length to my previous version. This could be a male thing but length was one of my first concerns. I'm happy to report that it is longer than the original so a welcomed upgrade indeed. I went to the garage, fetched my welding helmet with auto-darkening filter, prepared to plug it in and braced for the impending luminous splendor that has been witness by others. I turned off the garage lights, turned on my headlights and plugged it in. The chargre had no problem going in to any of my 3 ports, so I must be lucky. Once in, I was a bit saddened that I didn't get to witness anything but a mild, white ring no brighter than a nightlight. In fact, the iPhone 5 when plugged in was at minimum 5 times brighter than the ring itself. Maybe I have special eyes or a special SUV, but I didn't experience anything like some of the others here. It works, it looks fine and the only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because I would have preferred that they put a red light on the ring like the previous version; not only because it would then match my interior lights, but would then serve a useful purpose of changing to a green glow when fully charged as did my previous one.

If you need it, buy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

Bolle Youth Amp Snow Googles
Bolle Youth Amp Snow Googles

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, February 21, 2013
I fail to understand the other reviews on this product. I bought this for a 9 year old. The description clearly states these are "youth" goggles.

YOUTH - Noun
1) The period between childhood and adult age.
2) The state or quality of being young, esp. as associated with vigor, freshness, or immaturity.

The "youth" goggles came just as advertised and look like the picture; I bought the red vermillion ones. No moisture got in them and they worked perfectly fine. No, their not Oakley's, but for a child they are a value at $20. I even uploaded pictures so you can see that they fit fine on a 9 year old, in fact, they could easily fit an adult. I put them on a size 5 soccer ball and had to tighten them to make it stay on. I can't imagine a "youth" with a head the size of a size 5 soccer ball except maybe Charlie Brown after being stung by a bee.
In any event, if you have a "youth" in need of inexpensive but decent quality goggles, these are them.

PS, my daughter loves the styling on them too so that's a plus.

N'Ice Caps Girls Ski Glove with Gauntlet
N'Ice Caps Girls Ski Glove with Gauntlet

4.0 out of 5 stars Agree that they run large., February 18, 2013
I bought the size 8-12 for my 9 year old who is quite tall for her age. For comparison, she wears a woman's size 7 1/2 shoe and her hands are proportionate. These gloves were too big. It was workable and she will grow into it but there is a big difference between a 12 year old and an 8 year old so a one size fits all in that age range might not be the best thing. The quality of fine and her hands stayed warm and dry, I would just suggest you go a size down unless you really have a child with big hands.

Kamik Men's Nationplus Boot
Kamik Men's Nationplus Boot
Price: $84.95 - $143.45

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan!, February 18, 2013
Great boot, good fit and they were waterproof for me. Spent 6 hours in the snow chasing kids up and down a sledding mountain in zero degree Fahrenheit temps and I forgot I was wearing boots. My feet stayed warm and dry and a huge plus I didn't even expect was the traction. At the sled park you have to walk up on your own and after a few hours, the path was slick and icy. While others slid back down to their death (not really) I found good footing with these boots and didn't have a problem. They look and work great.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5