Profile for J. Melvin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Melvin RSS Feed (Benicia, CA United States)

Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Price: $29.99
80 used & new from $18.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performing Full-Size Wireless Mouse, July 9, 2010
I have been seeking a fully-featured wireless mouse for the past two weeks and have finally found my optimum choice in the Logitech Wireless Mouse M510. The attributes I sought out included the following:

1) Full-size and ergonomic shape. I have fairly large hands, so most notebook mice cannot provide a sufficiently comfortable experience for long periods of usage time.

2) High battery endurance. I prefer a wireless mouse that minimizes battery replacement to improve overall convenience and reduce my dead battery collection.

3) Laser technology. A setting of at least 1200 dpi is necessary to track subtle movements, which are particularly important for graphical applications (i.e. solid modeling and photo editing software). Laser technology also allows for usage on most surfaces.

4) Inconspicuous wireless transmitter. I find great appeal in a low profile wireless transmitter, as it saves the user from having to remove the device from a notebook during travel.

While many other competing products from Logitech offer appealing features such as "hyper scrolling" and any-surface tracking a la "Darkfield", they each carry their own weaknesses as well. For example, I considered various notebook-class mice, including the Anywhere MX and the Marathon M705, yet as a person with fairly large hands, I determined that they were simply not large enough to use comfortably.

Notebook Mice:

With respect to the Anywhere MX, while its touted "Darkfield" technology and "hyper scrolling" are admittedly persuasive, does not appear to yield the battery endurance that I desire. The form factor is certainly far too small to permit the ergonomics my hands require.

In consideration of the Marathon M705, while it certainly has the battery endurance I desire, as well as "hyper scrolling", it still remains too small, and the price tag currently does not justify its purchase. The Anywhere MX (at the time of research) could be had for nearly the same price after rebate, and if I were to choose a less-than-comfortable mouse, I would be more inclined to compromise some battery life for features.

Full-Sized Mice:

Moving on to full-sized mice, I spent some time researching the Performance MX. The Performance MX touts a host of features, including a low-profile wireless transmitter, but I am not fully convinced that they justify the price. Furthermore, this device utilizes a cradle for charging, and I would prefer high endurance, which typically entails the exclusive use of AA or AAA batteries.

While researching this category, I came across the M510, which although it carries less features than the aforementioned products, represents the best compromise to the attributes I desire in a mouse. Notably, this mouse has a great form factor, and while not as large as the Performance MX, fits comfortably and ergonomically even for my larger hands. Admittedly, I would prefer that the mouse were a bit longer to fill out my palm, but in the manner I handle the mouse, comes very close to an ideal fit. Logitech claims battery endurance up to 2 years, which far exceeds my expectations, and reduces my reliance on spare batteries. The device uses laser technology, which actually does not perform optimally on my aluminum desk, but tracks perfectly on my microfiber mouse pad with high accuracy. I honestly did not expect the mouse to function well on my desk, so this is more of an observation than a concern. The device also includes the low-profile wireless transmitter, which overall adds to the convenience of the product, and lends itself to a more travel-worthy full-sized mouse. As an additional note, the forward and back buttons work perfectly, and are quite easy to access. Extra buttons that are actually usable certainly add greater value to this product.

Conclusion:

While this mouse certainly has less features than some of the competition, it can be had for a reasonable price, which from Amazon lies in the range of $30 to $40. The form factor is excellent, the battery life is sufficient, the accuracy is great, and the wireless transmitter is convenient. For those seeking a full-sized and ergonomic mouse that still affords some portability, the Logitech M510 is a great option, and should represent a serious candidate for any mouse-purchasing decisions.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 8:40 PM PST

Levi's Men's 511 Slim Fit Jean
Levi's Men's 511 Slim Fit Jean
Price: $28.98 - $58.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Fit, July 17, 2009
Pros: Available in many sizes and washes, reasonable price, comfortable and contoured fit
Cons: Not true to size

Having unusual proportions has always been problematic for me, and as a result, I have tried many different brands and styles of jeans. At 6'4", finding jeans that have a sufficient length provides some difficulty, and with a very narrow waist for my height (30"), it can seem downright impossible. I have no alternative to online retail for finding jeans that fit, so finding them feels very much like a hunt than a casual dressing room routine.

I have tried 7 For All Mankind, Chip & Pepper, Earnest Sewn, American Eagle, and a whole slew of brands to get a feel for what's out there. I never really considered trying Levi's because they just never seemed to draw my attention. I had no interest in Levi's 501's, because I knew they fit too loose, and simply was unaware that Levi's made slim jeans in my size, particularly the 511's in 32x36. Recently, I discovered this, and decided to give the Levi's 511's a try.

In my limited experience in the past, I knew typically Levi's run slightly long. Although a disadvantage to some, for a person of my height who never runs into a pair of jeans that's actually "too long" (I actually fit a 37" inseam), having that extra inch or so is a blessing. Furthermore, as slim jeans, I presumed that they would fit slimmer in the waist than the size indicated. This may also serve as an issue for some, but considering they will stretch with use to your body, is worth accepting (not to mention it works to my favor with a smaller waist than the indicated size).

I ordered a couple pairs of Levi's 511 as a trial run and found my presumptions of running long and slim to hold true, which certainly brought me relief. While even a bit slim for me for the first day, they quickly contoured to my body and became quite comfortable. They fit well and have no extra baggage, as a slim pair of jeans should. While definitely slim, they are only bordering skinny jeans. I find this advantageous, as truly skinny jeans tend to offer very little breathing room and limit heat dissipation. Furthermore, the tighter the fit, the more frequently you are inclined to wash, as the jeans become stretched out more quickly. I feel that the Levi's 511's fit comfortable and tight in the right places, and offer a perfect intermediate between straight/slim straight and the tighter skinny fits.

Currently, Levi's offers a host of different washes and in many sizes to find a friend in just about anyone who has the hankering to try some slim, but not quite skinny jeans. So far, I am enjoying my experience with the Levi's 511's, and I am sure I will enjoy them for many days coming. I really think you will too.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Neva Eva
Neva Eva
Offered by SHOP@HOME
Price: $6.94
26 used & new from $0.13

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not even qualify as music, August 20, 2007
This review is from: Neva Eva (Audio CD)
I did not even buy this CD single, but I've had the displeasure of coming across this video on MTV. I had thought MTV stood for "Music Television," but I evidently had thought wrong. "Neva Eva" is by far the worst incarnation of "music" I've ever encountered in my life. The lyrics are generic, repetitive, and frankly sound as though they were written by someone mentally retarded. No wait, I take that back. Someone who is mentally retarded could write better music than this crap.

Perhaps people just take a look and see that Lil' Jon is contributing, and therefore by some form of amazing grace the song will suddenly breathe life, but in this case, there is nothing inspiring about this song other than a sudden will for suicide. Someone put these guys out of their misery...

"Neva Eva" buy this CD.

Single Collection
Single Collection
16 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Offering, April 1, 2007
This review is from: Single Collection (Audio CD)
This is currently one of the best deals one can find for some of the great rarities offered by HIM. What separates HIM from other bands' bonuses and B-Sides is a consistently decent offering with different versions of the same or similar songs.

As an example, the original "Beautiful" and the Three Seals Version are so different that they feel almost like an entirely different song, with such vastly different paces and rhythm.

Although some of the songs are the same as on the albums, remember that these singles are reprinted CDs, and thus have the same songs as do the original singles. What's nice about the singles offered here however, is that all the singles included that had limited editions are justly provided, giving even more songs and giving this collection more value. If you can find the right price for this collection, jump on it, because this is a very worthy set of CDs that I am certain any real HIM fan will enjoy.

P.S. I created high quality album art for each of the CDs provided, so please take a look and I hope they are of some use to others.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Logitech LX3 Optical Mouse
Logitech LX3 Optical Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Comfortable, and Overall a Solid Product, September 6, 2006
Pros: Comfortable for either hand, Side-scrolling, Wheel actually clicks, Fairly nice visual appeal

Cons: Software installs unnecessary components even if one selects drivers for "Mouse Only"

Overall 4

Features 3

Performance 5

Price-Value 4

This is actually a very good mouse for the price. Although it's not the cheapest mouse available, it is a solid-feeling mouse with very good comfort. The mouse is only 3 buttons, but please note that the side scroll (used by moving the wheel to the left or right) may be assigned macros or tasks (e.g. double click).

There are less expensive, yet still sturdy Microsoft models, but many of these I have a problem with the "smooth scroll" of the wheel. The clicks give a familiar feel, while the wheel is neither too firm, nor is it too loose. The amount of pressure required for left or right-clicks is perfect as well, with only a slightly more than modest noise level. I myself have fairly large hands, and it fits very comfortably, yet I can safely say this will be appropriate for an individual with smaller hands with similar or equal comfort.

The software is fairly easy to use, with everything clearly explained in the help file. The file is a surprise for me, as I'm used to simple indexes that are difficult to use or simply not very effective. Every option is explained, and a decent amount of customization may be performed. Also for the gamer, there is the option to exclude any or all settings from the mouse in-game as well as merely on the desktop. My only complaints are in the mouse's software, so please heed a caveat: the mouse's software bundles (Musicmatch?) Jukebox, so make sure to pay attention to the installation process and uncheck this component as you most likely will not want it. Also, the software still includes unneeded receiver and keyboard components, which may be safely removed by going to the program files and deleting the respected folders.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and I have used all sorts of different mice in the past, yet this simple and comfortable mouse pulls off a pleasurable experience in its usage. For those of you that like a wired mouse, and want a sturdy mouse without forking over $50+, this is for you. Whether you use PS/2 or the USB, this mouse seems to have no problems with power-saving modes, and is very responsive. I highly recommend this mouse, and I hope others may have the same pleasureable experience that I have had.