Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Aaron Stanley > Reviews

Browse

Aaron Stanley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aaron Stanley RSS Feed

Tombow AirPress Ballpoint Pen, Black, 1-Pack
Tombow AirPress Ballpoint Pen, Black, 1-Pack
Price: $8.58
6 used & new from $4.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All-Purpose Compact Pen, August 18, 2013
I am a huge fan of pressurized pens, and this one did not disappoint. Though it is a bit larger than my Fisher Space Pen, it is still small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket without getting in the way. Though I do prefer the size of my Space Pen, the Tombow AirPress offers a superior writing experience which makes me willing to use *it* over the Fisher. The Tombow AirPress also excels with its amazing clip implementation - an area where the Space Pen falls way short. Overall, I would definitely recommend this pen as an every day carry (EDC).

Gerber 22-01769 Shard Keychain Tool
Gerber 22-01769 Shard Keychain Tool
Price: $4.99
121 used & new from $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Tool, June 7, 2013
I wanted something that was extremely portable and useful in the most common circumstances. The shard keychain tool is just that. Sometimes, using even a small screwdriver will not cut it in small spaces (and most times I don't have one with me anyhow) and that's where I really think the Shard shines - as a phillips and flathead screwdriver. Quick, convenient and efficient. Naturally, the bottle opener comes in pretty handy, and the tool is great for opening packages, but I get the most use from the screwdrivers.

Improvements: The mini pry-bar could be improved a bit as it seems good in theory, but b/c it's so small, you don't get much leverage when prying items out of a wall, for example. I had a hard time with removing even a very small nail from my wall using the mini pry-bar.

Despite the issues with the pry-bar, the Gerber Shard gets 4 stars for its amazing utility and affordable price tag. Highly recommended.

Fisher Matte Black Clip for #400 series Bullet
Fisher Matte Black Clip for #400 series Bullet
Offered by Stealth Rabbit
Price: $3.65
25 used & new from $0.14

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Clip - Requires Some Trial & Error, April 17, 2013
Thee trouble with the Fisher Space Pen 400 Series is that the barrel is perfectly round, and lacks a clip. This means that on any surface that is less than level, the pen will begin to wander away from its point of origin. This clip serves to eliminate that problem, and for that, I love it. However, it gets a little finicky when you actually intend to use it as a clip. Because of the way the clip is designed to be implemented, once it is clipped to your shirt or pants pocket, there is always the chance that downward pressure applied to the pen will separate it from the clip. If this happens, you must force the clip further down on the cap to better secure it.

It would be great if the pen were notched ever so slightly to mark where the clip belongs and serve to keep it in place. I will say, that since I have moved the clip down further, I have had no issues with the clip separating itself, but it took some trial and error to get there. As some other reviewers mentioned, glue could do the trick, but the beauty of a clip designed as such is the fact that it can be removed if so desired.

As a point of reference, I use this product with the Fisher Space Bullet Space Pen - Matte Black, (400B) on a daily basis as my main pen. It never leaves my side.

Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4 One Pen - Black
Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4 One Pen - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Line, Fine Pen, April 17, 2013
The Pilot Hi-Tec-C is an excellent everyday carry pen. I keep with me most days as it has quickly become one of my favorites. Writing is smooth and I've had not a single issue with ink-smear. The cap has a locking/snapping mechanism that you can feel anytime you post the cap or cap the pen - it's very secure. The rubberized grip offers a bit of comfort while writing, but if you are a person that tends to grip your pens very tightly while writing, be aware that the Hi-Tec-C's grip gives very little. At the end of the day, I would recommend this pen to a friend as it is worth every penny and probably more.

Donnybrook: A Novel
Donnybrook: A Novel
by Frank Bill
Price: $10.24
70 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turner, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Donnybrook: A Novel (Paperback)
Let me preface this by saying that I often have trouble finishing a fiction novel of this sort, as my interest begins to fade and it becomes more of a chore to power through every page. Not a problem this time around. I completed Donnybrook in 6 days, attributed mostly to the fact that I became so entrenched in the story - so emotionally invested - that I just couldn't put it down. Frank Bill has a gift, or maybe just a skill that he has honed and perfected - nonetheless, his descriptive storytelling serves to place you at the center of every setting. At times I felt as though I could taste the steel of a double barrel shotgun, or the blood dripping to or from my mouth. I was uncomfortable with parts of the story, as I believe I was supposed to be, by design. This book did more for me, to tell this story, than any movie could have ever done. That being said, I really hope this one makes it to the big screen - I could see Q. Tarantino picking this one up.

If you have a couple bucks and a few days, this one is a no-brainer. Non-stop action around every corner, riddled with a glimmer of humanity, but most times a lack thereof, and even a bit of sexy sprinkled in the mix. One of the most engaging books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I can only hope for a follow-up, just like it.

Fisher Space Pen Black Fine Point Pressurized Refill
Fisher Space Pen Black Fine Point Pressurized Refill
Price: $6.05
59 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - Medium Point is More My Style, February 13, 2013
First of all, if you don't own a space pen - do yourself a favor and order one now → Fisher Space Bullet Space Pen - Matte Black, Gift Boxed (400B). I have the matte black bullet and wouldn't have it any other way.

With regards to the refill, I typically really enjoy fine points. However, with the space pen, the fine seemed too fine. That said, the product is still a great one and works as described - I've just decided to use it as a backup should I run out of ink with my medium refill.

Clevamama Oven Door Lock
Clevamama Oven Door Lock
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Adult Proof Too, February 13, 2013
We bought this oven lock for obvious reasons, for the safety of our child. It is always important that the devices chosen to protect your children are also unable to be "hacked" by them as well. However, this product takes it one step further - it's adult proof too! Despite reading the instructions, and following them to a "t", I was unable to release the lock at all - not even once. We ended up tossing this one out and using the Munchkin XTRAGUARD 2 Count Dual Action Multi Use Latches which worked out far better. I personally would not recommend the Clevamama Oven Door Lock.

Munchkin Xtraguard Dual Action Multi Use Latches, 2 Count
Munchkin Xtraguard Dual Action Multi Use Latches, 2 Count
Price: $7.29
24 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Does It, February 13, 2013
We are currently using these latches to secure our refrigerator and our oven door. They are extremely easy to install and easy to use. So far, sturdy and reliable are the two adjectives that best describe this product. We bought them to keep our 13 month old out of potentially dangerous areas, turns out our 7 y/o even has difficulty getting past them. Highly recommended.

LAMY Logo Stainless Ballpen, Black (L205BK)
LAMY Logo Stainless Ballpen, Black (L205BK)
Price: $14.92
4 used & new from $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ballpoint, February 13, 2013
I've always heard nothing but good things about Lamy and their products. i was looking for an inexpensive entry to their brand and came across the Logo. So far, it has not disappointed. It performs well - writes very smooth - and feels good in your hand. My only complaint would have to be that the barrel does feel a bit hollow, but that is not in any way something that impacts writing quality. I would recommend this pen to anyone looking to try out Lamy's pens with little investment.

Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots
by John Batdorff
Price: $15.27
59 used & new from $6.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, practical, August 14, 2011
I typically do not write reviews for items I purchase. However, after reading through this book I felt compelled to do so. Black & White | from snapshots to great shots is simply one of the most applicable books I have read pertaining to photography. John does a marvelous job of explaining some real key points of B&W photography, in a very simple way so that it is easily understood and can be easily applied. What I found particularly helpful, is the fact that the book is not only about "in camera" captures. It covers post process, sharing and a little marketing as well. All of this is extremely helpful to someone like myself, who is new to photography, and really looking to gain exposure. Ha ha, no pun intended... (okay, maybe a little) I would highly recommend this book to all photographers whose niche is B&W photography as well as those looking to gain some ideas on expanding their creativity.