Profile for Dogs & Horses > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2008

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dogs & Horses "Spanish Norman Horses" RSS Feed (TEXAS, United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Ex-Debutante
The Ex-Debutante
2 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly more than romantic chick lit, funny and well written, May 14, 2015
This is a review of the Audible audio book version. The Ex-Debutante was my first book by author, Linda. Francis Lee and I wasn't expecting much more than typical airhead, flighty chick-lit. This book was a pleasant surprise and actually left me feeling happy and wanting to call my Mother after I finished it. The characters were well fleshed out and had heart. I found myself interested in more than just the primary lead players and getting invested in the multiple relationships.

The hidden gem inside The Ex-Debutante is the look at Mother-Daughter relationships from several angles - the adult version, the teenage version and the looking in from the outside version. There are some old wounds, some new angst and lots of laughter and generational teeth grinding, but the author is never heavy handed. Coming from an old school Texas family, I definitely laughed at some of the descriptions in this book... pretty sure I have seen some of these ladies at our own Junior League luncheons and yes, the Texas Dip is a real thing and it is hard! But sending handwritten notes, having fresh flowers on the sideboard, empowering our girls to be anything they desire, and sitting down for dinner at the table every night with room for an unexpected guest - those traditions are alive and well too thankfully! I am going to pick another book by the author for my next Audible choice.

The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
Price: $6.99
3 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All 6 dogs like these, no greasy coating, no digestive upset, very pricey compared to other versions, May 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All six of my dogs like these marrow bone treats and happily took them on the first offering with no hesitation. Even the persnickety boy ate them without a long term inspection first. Two days and several treats each and I haven't seen any signs of flatulence or digestive upset from any of the Heathens, that's a good thing. The little bones are light and dry in my hands, no greasy residue and each one is single crunch for my big dogs. I can put a few in my pocket for training or to have on walks as rewards while teaching the heel command and have to line my pocket with a paper towel first - always a plus. As an allergen warning, these do contain wheat, but no soy or corn that I can see on the label.

My one star deduction is due the value issue with regard to size of the bag in comparison to other similar marrow bone treats on the market. This is a ten ounce baggie and for the same price with almost identical ingredients, the Pedigree 2lbs bag is a far better value. I've been giving those marrow treats periodically for years and my guys like them equally as much. I don't see enough difference in the physical quality or ingredients to warrant the price increase for the Nutro version. (And I say this as someone who buys organic chicken & brown rice dog food with no wheat, corn, soy or preservatives for a premium price)

New Old World: An Indian Journalist Discovers the Changing Face of Europe
New Old World: An Indian Journalist Discovers the Changing Face of Europe
by Pallavi Aiyar
Price: $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I learned several things from this book, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was expecting a slightly different type of book...more along the lines of personal interviews and more in-depth looks at individuals, rather than an overall study of the changes taking place at large in Europe. For what it is, this book is a good first step for the casual observer wishing to learn more about the world beyond the U.S.

I learned a number of things from New Old World....for example, I had no idea that a quarter of the population of the city of Brussels is now immigrant or that the majority of the world's commercial diamonds are sent to India for cutting and polishing - which makes the insane price mark up on a not really rare bauble even crazier, yet the industry employs and feeds tens of thousands of people. Nor did I know that the third largest steel corporation in the world is an Indian company with ties worldwide or that almost half the gherkin pickles grown in the world are harvested in Asia and India, packaged and distributed in Belgium, but Indians don't eat them. An entire industry I didn't even know existed. And I had no idea there was a rash of Chinese nouveau riche buying up French vineyards in Bordeaux, which apparently, is causing strife and consternation over traditional methods on growing, sales, bottle design and distribution processes for the wines.

My one star deduction is because, like other readers, I found some of the writing tedious and repetitive in places. At times it felt more like a lecture or text book. However, there's a lot of good and compelling information here. Worth reading.

Golden Grahams Cereal, 12 Oz
Golden Grahams Cereal, 12 Oz
Price: $2.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Light honey taste, but not too sweet, May 13, 2015
Classic light honey and graham cracker flavor without being too sweet for first thing in the morning. This cereal allows me to get my vitamins etc and still feel a little like I'm having a treat without resorting to a cinnamon roll. I love being able to get this cereal via Prime Pantry, especially with the coupon discounts since it brings the price down to less than half the local grocery store options.

GoodSense Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer, 200 mg Caplets, 24 Count
GoodSense Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer, 200 mg Caplets, 24 Count
Price: $1.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Same ingredient as the much more expensive name brands, easy to swallow caplets., May 12, 2015
I've begun to buy a lot of the Good Sense brand of basic health care products because they are consistently less expensive and equally effective as the name brand products. This ibuprofen is no exception and the ingredients are the same as the bottles found at the drugstore. The caplets are easily swallowed and the expiration date on my bottle is a year away.

Suave Professionals Conditioner, Moroccan Infusion Color Care  12.6 oz
Suave Professionals Conditioner, Moroccan Infusion Color Care 12.6 oz
Price: $2.50
19 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes my long, thick hair very soft and easy to style. Scent is really strong, May 12, 2015
I am really pleased with how soft my hair is after several uses of this conditioner. I've used it with a couple of different shampoos and my hair is very soft and shiny and feels nice when touched. It looks good too. My one star deduction is the scent. The Moroccan oil scent is very strong and while it's not unpleasant, it sort of overwhelms me. I have long, very thick hair, so this scent is everywhere anytime I move and my hair moves.

I Regret Nothing: A Memoir
I Regret Nothing: A Memoir
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jen's sarcasm & snark is back along with some just plain silliness, May 12, 2015
This is a review from the Audible audio book. I Regret Nothing is a return to the Jen Lancaster of the Bitter days in some respects...her humor and sarcasm is back as well as a few (well deserved) snarky rants directed at the self proclaimed righteous police of social media. She's stepping forward with a bit of the introspection from Such a Pretty Fat and growing up and moving outward. One of the things I love about Jen's books is her ability to touch base with our generation of women from a specific set of reference points most of us are going through - millennials and our Mothers don't relate so well because Jen's experiences aren't theirs. And that's ok...they have their own voices to reflect their coming of age trajectories, we have Jen and Fletcher.

Her recap of the basement flood had me laughing out loud in my car, eliciting a stare from the barista at the Starbucks drive through window. And I admit, I looked up three wheel bikes online which in turn set off a string of laughter punctuated by curse laden threats from my own husband. I'll stick to walking the dogs through our neighborhood with my audio books thanks and planning our next overseas trip that does not involve backpacking...because it's ok to say "that doesn't work for me". Thanks Jen!

Alpha House Season 2 [HD]
Alpha House Season 2 [HD]
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and smart without being arrogant, May 11, 2015
I really like this show and rank it up there with VEEP on HBO for slick production value and smart writing. I think Alpha House is a bit funnier than VEEP though and less profanity ridden by far. (There's profanity in Alpha House,but it's done differently and doesn't seem to fill every sentence) Alpha House has easy chemistry between the actors and that makes for easy binge watching. The streaming aspect on both the Fire TV stick and through my tablet is smooth and crisp.

Echo: An Alex Benedict Novel
Echo: An Alex Benedict Novel
2 used & new from $17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong ending, the middle dragged a bit - not the best in the series, but a decent story, May 10, 2015
This is a review of the Audible audio book version... I love Jack McDevitt and both series including Priscilla Hutchins and Alexander Benidict with Chase Kolpath. Echo wasn't one of his best efforts in recent years. The middle was ponderous and seemed overwhelmed with extraneous details & conversation. The beginning & end were tremendous, so overall I don't feel like I wasted money buying this audiobook and I will be happy to go to the next book in the series. The narrator was clear and clean and kept me in the story.

It's a Long Story: My Life
It's a Long Story: My Life
by Willie Nelson
Price: $19.47
60 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, no unnecessary bravado, funny, renewed my respect for his talent and music, May 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grew up with Willie Nelson as the background music to my life, both his voice and his lyrics in the voices of others....Billy Joe Shaver, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Julio Iglesias, Patsy Cline, Ray Price, Emmy Lou Harris...so many songs for as long as I can remember. Reading his Long Story was a bit like putting the jigsaw pieces together and learning where some of those lyrics came from and why. Those songs that spoke to me as a child and continue to move me as a grown woman, like Pancho & Lefty and Seven Spanish Angels.

I found myself captivated by Willie's down home, honest retelling of his journeys with no unnecessary bravado or gilding of his lily. He lays it out with humor and humility and ownership for the pain he caused to loved ones along the way. I came away from this book with a renewed respect for him as a man and not just a singer or word smith, but most importantly, respect for Mr. Nelson as a Texan and I believe he, of all people, will understand that compliment. In reading about his time in Austin and Dripping Springs, I was reminded of a time when I was 7 - seeing him and Waylon Jennings at Hamburger Hill, eating burgers and telling stories and my father saying to me we were seeing living legends. How right he was. I came away from this book very happy and with a renewed love of the music in general. 'Preciate y'all Willie!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20