Profile for Dogs & Horses > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2021

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dogs & Horses "Spanish Norman Horses" RSS Feed (TEXAS, United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Royals Season 1
The Royals Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Hurley is reason enough to watch - good soapy fun, May 17, 2015
I started watching The Royals on a lark because I adore Elizabeth Hurley. Turns out, she is excellent, as expected. The rest of the cast is hit or miss - the King and Prince and Ophelia are great and the chemistry there between the actors is good. The three Princesses are just flat and every time any of them are on screen I catch myself checking my phone or the cable guide. This show is soapy, predictable, relaxing fun and I'll set the TiVo to record season two.

Wellness TruFood CocoChia Bakes Natural Grain Free Dog Treats, Chicken, Beets and Coconut Oil Recipe, 5-Ounce Bag
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.75

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 of 6 dogs hate these, no way to seal the bag, very expensive for small quantity, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These CocoChia treats seem like a good thing at first glance. The ingredient list appears natural and full of good sounding things like chicken liver, chicken heart, peas, rosemary, beets, and lactobacillus fermentation product. No wheat, corn or soy for allergy prone dogs. Two stars right away for those things. But then the green tea extracts appear and with known negative reactions possible in dogs, this seems like a bad idea. On the low end simple digestive upset can occur in dogs sensitive to green tea and on the extreme end, full toxicity reactions. The quantity of the green tea in each treat is probably miniscule, but there's simply no way to know.

The reasons for the three star deduction: Taste test for my six dogs is where these treats fail entirely. Three of my dogs ate the first treat offered and the other three spat it out immediately. The second go round a few hours later and none of the six dogs would take one. I have seen these dogs eat unspeakable things - Heck one of the Heathens will eat lettuce. Additionally, the package is a plain plastic baggie inside a box. Neither can be resealed after opening, so these are going to spoil unless you repackage them. At this price point, the least they can do is put the cookies in a ziploc style bag. I am throwing these away, my dogs much prefer the Zukes Natural Bites Lamb Jerky anyway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 8:11 AM PDT

You Have to F**king Eat
You Have to F**king Eat
by Adam Mansbach
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $5.23
26 used & new from $2.55

4.0 out of 5 stars The only thing missing is Samuel Jackson as the narrator., May 16, 2015
This review is from: You Have to F**king Eat (Audio CD)
This is a review from the Audible audio book version. I absolutely loved the first book "Go the F To Sleep" - the Audible version is hysterical. I immediately bought You Have to F***ing Eat. This one is almost as funny and it does make me laugh out loud, but there's something missing. It's the narrator. He's not as good as Samuel Jackson was in the first book. That's the difference between four and five stars for me anyway.

DII Home Essentials Reversible Ultra Plush Sherpa Printed Throw Blanket for Bedroom, Counch, Car, Gift, Dorm, 50 by 60-Inch, Leopard Print
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very soft, washes & dries easily with no shrinking or pilling, May 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a rule, I hate any sort of leopard or animal print design, but this blanket isn't too in your face. The colors are a bit toned down and since it is reversible,the simple white side goes with everything. The tan and brown on the printed side does, quite literally, match all of our dogs coats, so it blends well at least. The physical material is amazingly soft and cozy. It makes you just want to curl up, wrap the throw around your bare feet and sink into an great book. It's very lightweight, but still warm for a crisp spring evening.

I ran this blanket through the washer and dryer immediately when I received it and it did not shed, pill, or shrink. It's been washed and dried a second time with no ill effects and all the stitching along the seams is tight. All in all, I am pleased indeed.

Smucker's Jam - Seedless Blackberry - 18 oz
Smucker's Jam - Seedless Blackberry - 18 oz
Price: $5.29
7 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too sweet, spreads smoothly and tastes like black berries, May 15, 2015
I love blackberry jam above all other flavors, but I don't care for the seeds found in most varieties. I tend to always come back to the Smuckers seedless version because it spreads smoothly, has a consistently good flavor and isn't too sweet or too tart. This works great on biscuits, toast, bagels or an old fashioned peanut butter and jam sandwich.

Boot Tray Multifunctional and can be used for Pets also Plants (Black, Large)
Boot Tray Multifunctional and can be used for Pets also Plants (Black, Large)
Offered by LaRoyal
Price: $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for dirty riding boots, light weight, rinses clean & well designed, May 15, 2015
This is a great boot tray - far better than the old rug I had been using at the mud room door to say the least. Coming in from the barn and horse paddock means dropping off the riding boots covered in mud and assorted horse debris before entering the rest of the house. There is always a dirty corner in that mudroom entry that drives me crazy. This tray has a lip that prevents mud and water from spilling out and handles on each end so picking it up to clean is very easy. I am able to fit a pair of tall riding boots, two pairs of paddock boots and a pair of Slogger garden shoes on ours. It weighs almost nothing as a bonus. The inside is slightly ridged so you can tamp your boots as you slide out of them and it keeps the slop in the tray where it belongs - generally a very well thought out design and well made. I like this enough that I think I'm going to order a second one to put under the dog water bowl in the kitchen. I received a free sample of this Boot Tray for testing and review in the black.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Dressing Adhesive Allevyn 3"x3" - Smith & Nephew 66020043
Dressing Adhesive Allevyn 3"x3" - Smith & Nephew 66020043
Offered by STHE Medical Products
Price: $24.45
16 used & new from $24.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, actual wound coverage is only a bit over an inch, water & dirt proof, May 15, 2015
After sustaining a rather unpleasant and surprisingly deep puncture wound on my leg, I was given a couple of these bandages by a nurse, She advised using these specifically over regular bandaid type dressings since I am outside a lot and working with animals daily. She was right. These are water proof and dirt proof like nothing else on the market.

The thick padding is especially nice with a deep wound that needs protection against bumps. That padding also means these are very absorbent with no oozing around the edges of medication or if you have an injury that is draining in some fashion. After 8 days with a fresh bandage daily, I have had no skin irritation, no excessive itching or break down on the areas where the adhesive edges attach. The 3x3 size though is the total size including the sticky perimeter. The actual part that goes over wound is only a little over an inch wide in both directions.

The Ex-Debutante
The Ex-Debutante
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)
2 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly more than romantic chick lit, funny and well written, May 14, 2015
This is a review of the Audible audio book version. The Ex-Debutante was my first book by author, Linda. Francis Lee and I wasn't expecting much more than typical airhead, flighty chick-lit. This book was a pleasant surprise and actually left me feeling happy and wanting to call my Mother after I finished it. The characters were well fleshed out and had heart. I found myself interested in more than just the primary lead players and getting invested in the multiple relationships.

The hidden gem inside The Ex-Debutante is the look at Mother-Daughter relationships from several angles - the adult version, the teenage version and the looking in from the outside version. There are some old wounds, some new angst and lots of laughter and generational teeth grinding, but the author is never heavy handed. Coming from an old school Texas family, I definitely laughed at some of the descriptions in this book... pretty sure I have seen some of these ladies at our own Junior League luncheons and yes, the Texas Dip is a real thing and it is hard! But sending handwritten notes, having fresh flowers on the sideboard, empowering our girls to be anything they desire, and sitting down for dinner at the table every night with room for an unexpected guest - those traditions are alive and well too thankfully! I am going to pick another book by the author for my next Audible choice.

The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
Price: $6.99
5 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All 6 dogs like these, no greasy coating, no digestive upset, very pricey compared to other versions, May 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All six of my dogs like these marrow bone treats and happily took them on the first offering with no hesitation. Even the persnickety boy ate them without a long term inspection first. Two days and several treats each and I haven't seen any signs of flatulence or digestive upset from any of the Heathens, that's a good thing. The little bones are light and dry in my hands, no greasy residue and each one is single crunch for my big dogs. I can put a few in my pocket for training or to have on walks as rewards while teaching the heel command and have to line my pocket with a paper towel first - always a plus. As an allergen warning, these do contain wheat, but no soy or corn that I can see on the label.

My one star deduction is due the value issue with regard to size of the bag in comparison to other similar marrow bone treats on the market. This is a ten ounce baggie and for the same price with almost identical ingredients, the Pedigree 2lbs bag is a far better value. I've been giving those marrow treats periodically for years and my guys like them equally as much. I don't see enough difference in the physical quality or ingredients to warrant the price increase for the Nutro version. (And I say this as someone who buys organic chicken & brown rice dog food with no wheat, corn, soy or preservatives for a premium price)

New Old World: An Indian Journalist Discovers the Changing Face of Europe
New Old World: An Indian Journalist Discovers the Changing Face of Europe
by Pallavi Aiyar
Price: $20.52

4.0 out of 5 stars I learned several things from this book, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was expecting a slightly different type of book...more along the lines of personal interviews and more in-depth looks at individuals, rather than an overall study of the changes taking place at large in Europe. For what it is, this book is a good first step for the casual observer wishing to learn more about the world beyond the U.S.

I learned a number of things from New Old World....for example, I had no idea that a quarter of the population of the city of Brussels is now immigrant or that the majority of the world's commercial diamonds are sent to India for cutting and polishing - which makes the insane price mark up on a not really rare bauble even crazier, yet the industry employs and feeds tens of thousands of people. Nor did I know that the third largest steel corporation in the world is an Indian company with ties worldwide or that almost half the gherkin pickles grown in the world are harvested in Asia and India, packaged and distributed in Belgium, but Indians don't eat them. An entire industry I didn't even know existed. And I had no idea there was a rash of Chinese nouveau riche buying up French vineyards in Bordeaux, which apparently, is causing strife and consternation over traditional methods on growing, sales, bottle design and distribution processes for the wines.

My one star deduction is because, like other readers, I found some of the writing tedious and repetitive in places. At times it felt more like a lecture or text book. However, there's a lot of good and compelling information here. Worth reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20