Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Veggie Burgher > Reviews

Browse

Veggie Burgher's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Veggie Burgher RSS Feed

Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
by Lindsay S. Nixon
Price: $12.18
104 used & new from $5.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Easy, Nutritious: My Favorite Cookbook!, December 29, 2011
I've been vegan for 1.5 years, and this is my second Happy Herbivore cookbook...and may be my all-time favorite cookbook.

These recipes truly are for everyday meals. I work full-time and am very busy, so I rarely have the time or motivation to cook elaborate meals after work. These recipes are a godsend. I can make most of them in less than 10 minutes; the longest took 30. And for most of the recipes, I have the ingredients on hand so don't have to buy anything additional. When I do have to buy ingredients, they were always easy to find at my local grocery store and would usually cost me less than $5.

And these fat-free and low-fat recipes also helped me to maintain my 30+ pound weight loss. To maintain my weight loss, I eat veggies, whole grains, and protein (legumes or soy) at every meal. I can make endless meals of this combination using these recipes.

In addition to being quick and easy to make, using everyday ingredients I had on hand or were inexpensive to buy, and helping me stay slim, these recipes are delicious! When I first started making Lindsay's recipes, I was skeptical whether fat-free (the recipes have no added fat, like oils) could be good. Now, I'm a true believer. I use Lindsay's fat-free cooking techniques all the time, but I never feel like I'm dieting or restricting what I eat because everything is so good. I've made some of these recipes every single week because I love them so much.

The recipes I've made the most are

Miso Gravy. If I need more greens or grains in my day, I whip up some of this gravy in about three minutes and pour it over steamed kale or quinoa, or make a bowl of steamed greens, brown rice, and either beans or tofu and pour this on. It's one of the best all-purpose gravies I've tried.
Tofu Fries. These "fries" are easy to prepare and have a great texture from the tofu having been frozen. And they're delicious. I often have a meal of tofu fries and steamed kale and brown rice with miso gravy. It's a nutritionally complete meal that's quick and easy to make and delicious.
Everyday Mushroom Gravy. This is another fantastic gravy for pouring over steamed greens or grains, and it has the added benefit of being filled with nutritious mushrooms. It's so delicious, I've eaten it by the spoon like soup!
Cheese Sauce. This is the best all-purpose vegan cheese sauce out there! It makes my steamed kale sing, and it's also delicious on other steamed veggies, potatoes, and the tofu fries (as cheese fries!).
Greens Quiche. This quiche takes about five minutes to prepare and 30 to bake. It's a high-protein meal with tofu and greens and is a perfect breakfast on mornings when I strength train and need a high-protein breakfast. It also makes a good lunch served with a simple salad and a grain.
Smoothies. I have one of these pretty much every single day. My favorites are Cinnamon Bun, Neapolitan, Oatmeal Cookie, P. Chocolate, and Peanut Butter Cup.
Balsamic-Dijon Vinaigrette. This salad dressing takes about one minute to make, and I have it every week if not every day. It's a great dressing for a salad of mixed greens, walnuts, and apples.

Other great recipes I tried are

Spinach and Artichoke Fritatta. Another good high-protein breakfast dish, this eggless fritatta has a perfect texture and tastes amazing.
"Oyster" Po'Boys. Made with oyster mushrooms, these sandwiches were phenomenal!
Island Portobello Burgers. These are the antidote if you're bored with regular portobello burgers. These are extremely flavorful and very easy to prepare.
Smoked Cauliflower Soup. This five-minute recipe brings a new, smoky taste to traditional cauliflower soup...and takes about five minutes to make.
Spicy Mushroom Stir-Fry. I love, love, love this dish. It uses sweet red chili sauce and is super quick and easy to make. It's great over brown rice with steamed broccoli on the side.
Cauliflower-Pumpkin Curry. This is another of my favorites from the book. I've made the Peanut Pumpkin Curry variation over and over. It's a fabulous complete meal when I add chickpeas and serve it over brown rice.
Skillet Frijoles Negros. This has to be my all-time favorite black bean recipe. I've had these beans on a tortilla with some cheese sauce, or as a side.
Chickpea Tenders. Wow! These high-protein tenders have a taste reminiscent of chicken without tasting like it so much that it's gross. The texture is great too.
Pablo Pasta. This Mexican take on classic mac and cheese is amazing! It has a spicy creamy sauce and includes black beans.
Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce. This creamy sauce is amazing over pasta.
French Toast Muffins. Amazing! I made these muffins several times and even brought them into an early work meeting. No one could believe they're fat free! I topped them with Lindsay's maple glaze from her first cookbook, and they were incredible.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2013 6:19 PM PDT