Profile for Diana De Avila > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 541

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Diana De Avila "MS Gkygrl" RSS Feed (Sarasota, FL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aduro AMPLIFY SB10 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones / Headset with Built-in Mic (Retail Packaging) (White)
Offered by Entronik
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They look like BEATS headphones and sound really great - priced right!, March 1, 2015
I received a pair of Aduro Amplify over the ear wireless bluetooth headphones in the color red and the first thing I noticed is that they remind of me Beats headphones (I've never owned BEATS and have surmised through reviews a long time ago that they are not worth the money - very good marketing for a mediocre product). However, these Aduro stereo headphones which are priced at under $30 really offer a great and very comfortable option.

The headphones pair easily with my Mac computer and iPhone and offer a respectable sound when listening to music. Being more accustomed to "in ear" headphones these days, the sound is not nearly as bright as some of those phones. But the comfort is amazing! The control buttons which are on the right headphone cover make accessing controls easily. Getting accustomed to their placement takes just a few minutes.

I was provided with a sample of these phones to test in exchange for an honest review and I really like them. These provide an attractive, trendy, over the ear option for headphones and are definitely worth a try.

I like them a lot!

Fiskars 710210-1001 Amplify Serrated Hardware Shears, 8-Inch
Fiskars 710210-1001 Amplify Serrated Hardware Shears, 8-Inch
Offered by MidAtlantic Merchant
Price: $18.93
4 used & new from $18.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts through tough plastic ties, plastic packaging, carpet, leather and other stuff. No problems!, February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a huge fan of Fiskars products and have used everything from Fiskars regular scissors to Fiskars rakes. I feel that I get a quality, long lasting product every time ... these Fiskars Amplify Serrated Hardware Shears are no exception. They are GREAT option for cutting those things that you don't want to use regular shears for or that you know regular shears cannot handle.

These shears are tough and sharp. They come with a blade protector / sheath which is a great option because these scissor shears are sharp and can cut fingers easily. The sheath provides a measure of safety which you won't find in most hardware-grade shears. While these shears are not made to cut a penny (like others are) they cut through plastic packaging, leather, carpet and those things that are out of the realm of regular scissors.

I think of these as a step-between regular scissors and classic hardware snips that tout themselves to cut metal, etc. These provide an option from great dexterity and use of more fine motor skills with the toughness that goes beyond regular more delicate scissors. The serrated edges are also a plus.

Another Fiskars win!

Crosman Youth Augusta Recurve Bow with Arrows
Crosman Youth Augusta Recurve Bow with Arrows
Price: $52.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight bow for kids to try out the sport, February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Archery is a sport that can be started at a relatively young age. How does one consider getting their child started in the sport without spending a fortune but providing a bow that is not just a cheap toy? The Crosman Youth Augusta Recurve bow with arrows provides an economical option for kids (pre-teen) to try out the sport and get the feel of it without the discouragement of using lousy equipment that is the cheaper option. This bow is light and is well made. It provides an entry into the sport without breaking the bank.

It comes with a wrist guard, a guard for the fingers and a quiver hood. It also comes with a site pin.

I have tried archery once, in college, but had a poor experience because of poor equipment. This bow set represents a step up from the stuff I tried in college but is made for youth. We tested the bow in a safe space and found it easy to handle and safe to use (in the right place). The arrows are dull on the ends but can still cause harm (because they are projectiles). If being used by someone who is in the 10 year old to 13 year old range, I recommend a first use of the bow with an adult who understands the mechanics.

A great starter set!

[Apple MFi Certified] K-ble ® X 6.5 FT/ 2 M Long Rugged Lightning to USB Cable with Nylon Braid, Aluminum Casing for Apple iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c / 6 / 6 Plus, iPod 7, iPad mini / mini 2/ mini 3, iPad Retina / iPad Air / iPad Air 2 - 1 Year Warranty
Offered by Kble
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The K-ble seems to be Mil-Spec tough! Very sturdy and lengthy cable. Take note of fit., February 25, 2015
This is absolutely the toughest Apple iPhone or iPad lightening cable I have ever owned or tested. It is six and a half feet long and built with very tough cable and plugs. When using this with devices in Lifeproof cases I came across two different scenarios:

1) The lightening plug fit (but was very tight) into the Lifeproof Nuud for iPad 4.

2) The lightening plug DID NOT fit in my Lifeproof Fre case for iPhone 6. The plug port on the Lifeproof is just too snug and will not allow insertion of the lightening connector.

Clearly this is NOT the best cable for use with Lifeproof. I have found very few cables other than Apple OEM that work with Lifeproof.

Depending on how you are intending to use this cable, it should fit into most cases. The plugs ends are reinforced with metal (not sure which metal but feels like aluminum) and the cable-to-plug ends are sturdy and seem to be less prone to crimping (a problem I have had with OEM cables over time).

I received a sample unit to test and review. It is 5 stars for use with the devices along or with most cases. If you are a Lifeproof case user and are interested in this cable, take heed and note that it may not fit. The lightening cable end is just too wide to fit into the Lifeproof cases I tried to use.

Great cable ... I hope the company would consider creating an Apple compatible Mac Book Pro AC adapter!

PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Scratcher, Warm Gray
PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Scratcher, Warm Gray
Price: Click here to see our price
5 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality scratcher with dense cardboard and lots of available surface space., February 23, 2015
This is a great quality scratcher (very good, dense cardboard) and my kitties love this. So far, so good!

It does come with little rubber feet to attach to the bottom for gripping (did not take advantage of this)

iPhone 6 Waterproof Case, Tethys Case [SUBMERGE Series] iPhone 6 Case (4.7") - Black Protective Slim iPhone Cases Waterproof Case [Lifetime Warranty] - Compatible with Any Version of Apple iPhone 6 4.7 inches ONLY - Slimmest Profile with Capability of WaterPROOF, ShockPROOF, SandPROOF, SnowPROOF
Offered by UltraProof

1.0 out of 5 stars Send the Ultraproof Case back to the engineers to perfect the design and function - Can not recommend., February 17, 2015
I was provided a sample of the Tethys iPhone 6 waterproof case to test. Having used Otterbox and Lifeproof cases since 2008, I generally use them as the standard by which I test iPhone and Android cases of the same stature. At first, Otterbox had some real issues with screen oils and fit and finish. Over time and with much feedback, Otterbox's team of engineers remedied the issues and they have since developed very good and consistent products. To me, the Ultraproof case by Tethys needs work in order to be ready for primetime. I use the Lifeproof Fre as my comparison (and the price points are very similar at <$10.00 difference).

I believe that at it's price point, it needs to be a lot more than it is. I'll start with what I like about the case:

Pros:
It is supposed to protect against the elements - a good concept.

Cons:
Poor execution with the case (I will be more specific below)

- Did not pass first-time installation waterproof test. There were several drops of water in the case after a 5 minute - 6" soak. I would contact the manufacturer - as instructed - if I was going to use this case.

- use of a very brittle-feeling plastic that feels cheap in the hand (I heard this from multiple people who handled it). Not fortified with any rubber at all.

- Warnings state "Do not drop the case from a height of more than 2 feet". Seriously?? Hopefully this is a typo. When I drop my cases (often enough) it's at least from about 5 feet. I'm not going to crouch down to drop my case ... it's going to fly out of my hands in dramatic fashion. I expect it will protect my phone as it always does.

- No use of removable, self-checking rubber gaskets. This makes me trust this case a lot less.

- The metal screw on the side of the case that controls the ringer mute is just silly looking. It functions as expected but it makes the case look like Frankenstein. I want a flush case that won't get caught on things if it's in my pocket. Seems like a poor design choice.

- Poor design choices for the headphone and charger port plugs (see the Lifeproof's concepts with a screw-in headphone jack and the port door - leaving less user error opportunities).

These things are enough to warrant the case being sent back to the lab and using more focus groups on the development of it. I cannot recommend the case in it's current state as a truly WATERPROOF case and I certainly would not use or trust it on my iPhone 6 device.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 2:21 PM PST

TaoTronics Pet UV Urine & Stain Detector, Blacklight/Flashlight, Find stains on Carpet, Rugs
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and solid Pet Urine light. Discover the cat pee!, February 16, 2015
A great, durable and economical pet urine light that does the trick.

The build quality of the light for it's price point is very good. It uses 12 LED lights and a short wavelength for easy discovery of pet urine. With 5 cats in our household, this is a handy tool.

To uncover that smell, use a pet urine light. Use this one. It works!

Blood Pressure Monitor by VIVE - Best Automatic Digital Upper Arm BPM - Guaranteed Accuracy, Perfect for Home Use - 2 YEAR WARRANTY (Silver)
Offered by HEALTH SOURCE
Price: $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent Measurements, adult small cuff, February 16, 2015
I am accustomed to taking blood pressures as an EMT and for my own home tracking (with a genetic propensity for hypertension). I did a couple experiments to test the unit against another Omron unit (Omron 10 Plus), and against a manual blood pressure.

Pro's for the VIVE BP monitor

- super compact unit
- easy to read display
- runs on 4 AAA batteries

Cons for the VIVE BP monitor

- inconsistent readings from the unit when measured against another automatic monitor and manual BP's. I noticed big ranges in the systolic / top number between readings). Diastolic / bottom number was steady but between both of us, it was inconsistent.
- small adult cuff (8.5" - 12.5")
- no carrying case (it is small enough to warrant it at the price point)

I used the BP monitor on two of us in my household - me 5'9" (I could have used a larger cuff as on my Omron), my partner at 5'1" (the cuff fit her but readings were inconsistent).

It is a small and compact unit. At the price point, I would expect better quality (including spelling errors on the packaging which can reflect poorly on the brand). The quality of the unit and the lack of measurement consistency are reflected in my 2 star review. I cannot recommend this item as a serious piece of medical equipment. If tracking blood pressure on the recommendation of your doctor, verify the fit and measurement of this unit with them. Also, VIVE seems like a solid company with a two year limited warranty. The company is there to help and rectify issues.

I received this blood pressure cuff as a free sample.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2015 10:06 PM PST

VINOMIO Wine Chiller - Stainless Steel Wine Chiller Stick - Single Bottle Wine Chiller - Chills All White, Red and Sparkling Wines
Offered by Amayze Me LLC
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea to let wine chill and aerate - leave the ice buckets in the closet., February 16, 2015
This is a wonderful item to add to your wine accessory collection.

The Vinomio offers a great solution that corks, chills, aerates, and pours wine. I thought of it first as for whites only but found it works wonderfully with my reds.

Personally, I love a bold and hearty Cab and find that using the Vinomio is great at bringing my red from room temperature to a recommended serving temperature (bringing out the fulness and flavor just a little more). The added aerator just makes this wine chiller a cut above others.

Love it and recommend it. Well made, works well, cleans up well and is a great conversation piece too.

EGOZ 4-in-1 Micro Fleece Polar Neck Warmer/Face Mask/Hat Snood/Scarf Military Fleece Neck Warm Face Warmer Black Thermal Ski Snowboard Cycling Sports Genuine
Offered by Sport Items
Price: $14.90
2 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars The nice drawstring sets this gaiter / neck warmer apart, February 13, 2015
Great quality neck warmer gaiter. It's a soft microfleece and has a drawstring that gives the wearer the ability to make the fit more snug to keep out cold air. I have had many other gaiters that did not have the draw string feature and this is definitely a great option.

The microfleece is soft and warm (if it were the Polartec brand, I would rate is as Polartec 300 - thinner and softer than the other versions). I mention the comparison because this will give you an idea of the thickness if you understand the different Polartec fabrics and have bought from Northface or LL Bean.

A great value gaiter / neck warmer for the money.

I was provided the sample to test and review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20