Profile for Underground Reborn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 405

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Underground Reborn "gnome" RSS Feed (ny)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Plagues of Babylon
Plagues of Babylon
Price: $10.00
34 used & new from $5.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of the best, February 1, 2014
This review is from: Plagues of Babylon (Audio CD)
Iced Earth is one of the bands that I feel that everyone one who appreciates music should listen to. The song writing, musicianship and the over all passion that is poured into each piece of this bands' work is unlike any other. Unfortunately, there newest edition to IE discography was a shocking disappointment.

After acquiring vocalist Stu Block and an incredible studio release in 'Dystopia', followed by an amazing Live release in 'Alive In Kureon' I was so surprised to get a blase, easily forgettable 'Plagues of Babylon. To know that this would be the first Iced Earth album to include well known vocalist from bands like Blind Guardian and Symphony X and to get such a sub-par album compared to the last 10 years was just sad. I am not saying that this album is not a good listen. The sound is definitely different from the last few records, but this is also the first time in a while that an Iced Earth album is not a concept record. There are no interlocking songs or trilogies like in previous ones and I feel that since Iced Earth has done that kind of composing so well over the years it is very hard to resort back to just making a plain old album.

As a fan of this group the album has been added to my collection and it is here to stay along with the rest of the iced earth legacy. I really hope that Schaffer and the boys will go back to the studio in time and compose another epic masterpiece. I am a patient fan and I don't care how long it takes to get another masterpiece from one of the most passionate heavy metal bands in history.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Deluxe Edition)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Deluxe Edition)
DVD ~ Various
Price: $17.95
43 used & new from $9.98

3.0 out of 5 stars This should have come out first (Book 4: Pt 3), January 26, 2014
The Dark Knight Returns is one of the best DCAU film adaptions to have been released since Bruce Timm began his direct to dvd film releases. I went out at got this film in its original form when it was two separate DVDs. So when I found out they were going to finally unite the two films into one and give us a ton of new special features along with the one already featured on both DVDs I was both excited and disappointed.

I had said when the first part came out that this should have been one whole film and shown on the big screen, even if it was just a limited engagement. Yet, when I finally saw it... I felt that something was missing. Then I figured out that it was the anticipation and excitement that you got when the first part ends and you can't wait to get to the second dvd. The film just keeps going and it feels like it just drags. I don't know why, but when I watch these two parts separately, I find the whole story to be better paced and the whole first part doesn't get lost and forgotten thanks to Batman's two major showdowns with Joker and Superman. I also feel that if they would have not split this film into two separate releases I would have been much more satisfied. The special features, especially the documentary with Frank Miller is great, but because of its length, I didn't see myself wanting to watch it again and same goes for the documentary on Carrie Kelly and The Joker. Also, the sneak peaks of The Dark Knight Part 2 and Superman Unbound are not in this massive dvd/blu ray set. As a fan of the DCAU films I always anticipate seeing what the next project will be. I love the interviews and the story behind the decision to make the next film. Of course I am only stating this because I had seen the two sneak peaks and loved them.

The choice is yours when it comes to taking this complete edition over the two parts. I for one bought it and gave it to a good friend of mine free of charge. For the time being I will count my blessings and find comfort in Parts 1 & 2 and anticipate the release of Justice League:War. I just hope for future projects that involve a larger story, like Crisis On Infinite Earths or Kingdom Come, that they choose to release the whole story as one rather than split it down the middle.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater
Price: $16.69
52 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings me back, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
It is crazy to believe that just a few years back I mentioned in a review that Dream Theater was on the decline. I am so glad to say I have never been more wrong.

After Mike Portnoy's departure and their refusal to let him back in when he came to them. Dream Theather are given us two of their strongest albums to date. This self titled album is like a trip back in time for me as a Dream Theater fan. I am reminded of some of the high points of this incredible bands' career. In songs like 'Behind The Veil' and 'Surrender To Reason' remind me of albums such as Images and Words and Falling Into Infinity. It brings classic sounds of Progressive Rock History such as Pink Floyd and Rush. The lyrics are incredible and all the remaining members are sounding stronger than they ever have in years.

This is with out a doubt one of their greatest albums and it is amazing to see them being this strong after just a short period of a really dark and heavy sound which I have officially dubs as 'The Black Period'. At this point I can honestly say this band is far from done and I am looking forward to another 20 years of their music, especially if this is what they are providing to us fans.

The World's End
The World's End
DVD ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $12.51
31 used & new from $3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah! Another Triumph, January 24, 2014
This review is from: The World's End (DVD)
Who doesn't like a great story about buddies and beer? Edgar Wright certainly loves it. Once again united Simon Pegg & Nick Frost comes the final chapter in the 'Blood & Ice Cream' Trilogy.

'The World's End' is the story of 5 best buddies who tried to tackle their towns legendary Golden Mile. 12 pubs and a pint in each all the way to the king of all bars...The World's End. Unfortunately, they didn't quite get there and now it is up to the one of them who chose not to grow up. So, he gets the band back together to head back to their old stomping grounds and try again. Only this time, the mile might be a little different than the last time.

If you like British Comedy, and films like 'Shawn of The Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz', then I don't need to promote this film anymore. If you want to get a great laugh and see a comedy unlike something you have never seen before then you have to see 'The World's End' It is by far one of the best films that 2013 had to offer.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition (DVD)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition (DVD)
DVD ~ Ian McKellen
Price: $23.20
22 used & new from $19.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Middle Earth (Part 1 of 3), January 24, 2014
After years of waiting and nearly an entire decade since one of the greatest trilogies was completed, Peter Jackson returns to the directors chair and takes us back to a more simpler time in Middle Earth.

'The Hobbit' is one of the most cherished of all tales, about a Hobbit named Bilbo as a wizard named Gandalf and his band of 12 dwarfs pay him a visit and ask him to join them on a quest to take back their home from an evil dragon.

This was a film all of us LOTR fans were waiting of and yet, what was expected as two films will now become three. 'An Unexpected Journey' makes us all feel young again as if reading the book for the first time. The film is much different from the LOTR and incorporates a lot of the light hearted elements in the original material. Songs from the book are sung, riddles are flung back and forth in Gollum's cave and yet there is a lot more than just what is taken from the book. With three films in total Peter Jackson turns this film into much more of an epic than it is. Adding from Tolkein's appendices, and adding much more foreshadowing to what will come eventually in the story. The film has some returning cast members such as Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis. Still, the new comers such as Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Richard Armatage as Thorin have filled the shoes of a whole new cast of Middle Earth characters.

In Summation, the film does not reach the levels as the original trilogy, but then again it is the beginning of its own brand new trilogy. It is a lot of fun with some great moments and plenty of Middle Earth history you can sink your teeth into. Once the film ends all you can do is hold your head high in anticipation for the next part of this brand new adventure.

Fortress
Fortress
Price: $10.00
53 used & new from $4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet., January 24, 2014
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
This time I am happy to say that I found out about this 4th album way before its release date.

As a fan of Alterbridge since the beginning, this album was like any of their previous work. It has a progressive and hard hitting sound that once you have heard it, you would not believe three of these band members were part of Creed. Nor would you even realize it is a new Alterbridge album. It is a great listen and if you are a fan get it, if you just heard about them get it.

From Up on Poppy Hill
From Up on Poppy Hill
DVD ~ Sarah Bolger
Price: $14.99
15 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Historic Volume 2: Part 6, January 24, 2014
This review is from: From Up on Poppy Hill (DVD)
You can always count on Studio Ghibli to provide and imaginative animated film loaded with heart. This time Haiyo Miyazaki's son Goro takes the directors chair for the second time to bring us 'From Up On Poppy Hill'. You could probably think of it as a long lost follow up to 'Grave of the Fireflies'. While that film took place during World War 2, 'From Up On Poppy Hill' takes place in the early 1960's the time when Japan had finally been set free from American occupation and was taking its first steps towards being the powerful democracy it is today.

The film takes place when Japan is about to host it's first of many Olympic games and to do so the city of Tokyo has to tear up a piece of its past to make way for the future. However that may not be so easy as almost an entire high school does not want to let go of a historical landmark they have been using as their after school club house. It is also the way that two young people discover a deep love for one another and uncover a few links to their own pasts as well. Some of which can shake the very fabric of their friendship.

'From Up Poppy Hill' is not one of those epic films, but it makes you feel good and young again. It is one that I have already watched multiple times and as it could be one of the few that gets over looked, one you see it, you will love it.

DCU: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Special Edition
DCU: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Special Edition
DVD ~ Various
Price: $18.96
26 used & new from $13.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE SURPRISE! (Book 4: Pt. 2), January 24, 2014
The DCAU films are stories that I hold dear to me and each one is always a great watch. After The Dark Knight Returns I had mentioned how curious I was to see where these films would go after such an intense film. Well, now we have 'Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox' and I must say I never would have expected this to be what it was.

Of course the basis of this film is Justice League Flashpoint, the saga that unleashed The New 52. It is a great story about The Flash a character who has yet to truly be developed in the DCAU. Sure, we got a few inklings in Justice League and even in Young Justice, but even though this film has Justice League in the title it is truly about the Flash. I always enjoy a DC alternative universe story, but this one is very different from 'Crisis on Two Earths'. This one is darker, has more intensity from a story and character stand point and unexpected graphic violence. I never would have expected to see so many cartoon characters bleed so much. The story is truly original and gripping and probably the best part of this film is Carey Elwes as the voice of Aquaman. The character is subtle yet fierce. The Batman character is definitely one way to never look at The Dark Knight the same way again. Also the voice of the '80s teen idol C. Thomas Howell as Professor Zoom is a great villain.

This film is a true winner for any fan of the DCAU. If you have been watching the DCAU as far back as the Batman days, there are definitely a lot nods a few of the shows in Bruce Timm's legacy. All in all 'The Flashpoint Paradox' is incredible and I was so surprised that it ended up being the kind of film that it was and it may in fact be one of the better ones. With 'Justice League: War' up next this one sets it up bringing us into the world that Flash created in order to save his old one.

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $14.55
44 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Rezner's Back!, January 24, 2014
Nine Inch Nails is one of the defining names in the world of Industrial and for a while now NIN has been off the grid. Due to personal events in Trent Reznor's life, NIN has been silent. Now after cleaning his act up, and being the first heavy metal artist to win an Academy Award, why not make a new Nails album.

It has been a while since there has been a truly great NIN album, and while this one is not perfect it is definitely up there as one of the 5 best. You can tell its a NIN record, but as always no two albums are quite the same and it takes just a little time for this one to grow on you. I don't know if there will be Nine Inch Nails album soon, but this is a good place to pick the legacy back up.

Man of Steel (Two-Disc Special Edition DVD)
Man of Steel (Two-Disc Special Edition DVD)
DVD ~ Henry Cavill
Price: $4.00
112 used & new from $0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Superman is here!, January 24, 2014
After years and years of disappointment. Zack Snyder a man in my eyes who can do no wrong in the world of comic book films, finally achieved what has been attempted for years...a GOOD Superman movie!

Christopher Nolan has surely set the bar thanks to his Dark Knight Trilogy and with the Marvel Universe films raking in the big bucks DC has finally gotten the film needed to catch up. Man of Steel is everything I wanted in a Superman film. An origin story with a very human twist. This film was not just about a young boy with powers growing up, it was about about a hero learning to discover his own heroism. The cast was well rounded Michael Shannon did a tremendous job as Zod and Henry Cavil was exactly how I expected Superman to be. I could tell that Snyder definitely dabbled in Bruce Timm's world just a little bit while he is a man with powers beyond humans, he showed a weakness and vulnerability. Finally, what I loved the most was we finally got a Superman film in which Superman actually fights! The action sequences were fast and furious exactly what a battle between Kryptonians should be.

Of course people do have their gripes one of which is the fact that there was no real love story between Superman and Lois Lane, I didn't find that a problem. I feel there was no place for it in this movie because once again it was about Superman becoming Superman. What I really was happy about was that unlike Bryan Singers' Superman Returns, this film didn't try to go back to find the glory days. No John Williams theme, no classic Superman taglines, just an in your face raw and fresh adaption of The Man of Steel.

Thank goodness this film did well because the flood gates are finally about to open with a sequel on the horizon which will feature two more DC comic book heroes, including the first film adaption of Wonder Woman. I am very excited to see the next film and so happy that the DC franchise is finally ready to hit the big screen thanks to Earth's Greatest Son.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20