Profile for Erik Huntoon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erik Huntoon "ehuntoon" RSS Feed (Naptown, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ASUS T100TA-C1-GR Transformer Book 10.1-Inch Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop 64GB SSD with Dock (OLD VERSION)
Offered by SALE_4_U
Price: $334.00
105 used & new from $199.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold a lemon with no recourse. BUYER BEWARE!, September 26, 2014
When I received the Asus T100 I absolutely loved it. I found it to be a very responsive notebook and enjoyed the functionality of it in tablet form more than I thought I would. Unfortunately after about 2 months of use the tablet started showing signs of problems. I would go to use it and it would be prompting me for a Bitlocker Encryption key which I had to get from another device and was a complete annoyance. This happened every so often and when I finally had a chance to dig into this issue it turned out it was due to a hardware error on the mainboard. Specifically the Intel Trusted Execution Engine was showing as slammed and that it could not start. I contacted Asus and was issued an RMA and sent the notebook in. Service was quick and I had my notebook back in about 1 week total. Unfortunately what they sent back was an even less usable notebook. The technician that worked on my notebook stated they replaced the mainboard and the display. I found this odd as I had no issues with the display but whatever. I got on the repaired notebook and to my dismay could not get a stable wireless connection. It would show it was connected but I could basically not get any data transfer.

I started troubleshooting and discovered the wireless card was slammed in device manager. I ran a repair on Windows 8.. no joy. I downloaded the driver from Asus on my home laptop and transferred it via USB to install.. no joy. I tried a full rebuild of Windows 8.. no joy and at that point the wireless wouldn't even show up in Windows under the network settings. Device manager showed the device could not start. Aggravated I called Asus back to complain and was issued a new RMA. Notebook went back out to California and returned once again quickly. I read the technician note and was dismayed to see it state they refreshed software. I got on to the notebook and once again.. wireless non-functional. The notebook would connect to my home wifi but trying to connect to a Microsoft account to setup Windows 8 would fail with a timeout error. Trying to go to basically any webpage would fail. Every once in a while it would connect to a page but usually not load all the elements on the page. Google.com for example after 5 minutes had not loaded the daily Google doodle.

Thoroughly disgusted I got on a chat with an Asus tech and asked if there was any way to just get my money back. Unfortunately there is not. He issued me an overnight RMA shipping label and I sent the notebook back out that day. That was 9/12. They received it on 9/15 due to the weekend and as of today 9/26 they still have it. To compound my frustration I got an email from a customer care agent today stating they had looked into the case and at this point the tech notes that they have found no problems. The agent has asked them to further test the wireless. Unfortunately I didn't buy the replacement plan through Amazon so I can't return this P.O.S.

I'll end this by stating I have been doing computer support professionally for 15 years now. I have never dealt with a worse warranty repair system than this. For one thing it is almost impossible to find a phone number to just call them if you live in the United States. I have sent the notebook in with extremely detailed notes of what troubleshooting I did and what errors I can find or replicate. On the notebook after an RMA repair is a folder that has log files that the tech runs. I'd like to think that after sending in a notebook with faulty wifi they would perform more than a ping test on the wireless adapter. But unfortunately that's the extent of their testing.

So for the tl;dr crowd: Buy this at your own peril. I have a friend with one that works fine. In 4 months owning the device, mine has been wrapped up in RMA hell for almost 2 solid months. At this point I have zero confidence it will be fixed when I receive it back, whenever that may be. Absolutely the worst tech purchase I've ever made.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 5:54 AM PDT

Santa Cruz Schlitz Flyer Cruzer Skateboard (36x9.3-Inch)
Santa Cruz Schlitz Flyer Cruzer Skateboard (36x9.3-Inch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome board!, March 3, 2014
Really nice size and good handling. Looks amazing and is a head turner when I use it on some of the local trails.

NHL Detroit Red Wings Roadblock Duffle Bag
NHL Detroit Red Wings Roadblock Duffle Bag
Price: $41.80
4 used & new from $41.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart after only 3 weeks, March 3, 2014
I'll start out saying I love this bag. Plenty of room inside and the shoe bag is large enough to easily accommodate my size 14 running shoes. The problem is that the divider between the side pockets and the main inner area is separating at the top of the bag. Meaning if I open the main area and the side pocket at the same time, I can wrap my hand around the zipper of the side compartment and my hand goes straight through to the main compartment. I believe this is a design flaw in the bag. The shoulder strap attaches to the top of the bag between the main compartment zipper and the side compartment. So anything you put in the side compartments such as shoes is weighing the sides of the bag down and away from the shoulder strap. This causes the inner lining to break the stitching at the top. If the strap connected to the sides of the bag itself I think the weight would be properly distributed to avoid this.

I have not asked for a replacement at this time as I am certain this would happen with a new bag. Instead I think I am going to see if a seamstress can stitch a heavier material divider in place of the thin vinyl that is currently dividing the inner and outer pockets. The bag looks great and for the price is pretty good. I saw the same bag on the shopnhl.com website for significantly more, so I feel if I can get the bag customized in a way that will fix it for $15-20, it will be a bag I'd use daily for years and at a price well worth the effort.

I'd rate this bag 5 stars easily if it did not have the issue I've detailed above.

Nexus 5 Case - Ringke DELIGHT Case [Free HD Film][BLACK] Premium PU Saffiano Leather Standing View Diary Case Flip Cover for Google Nexus 5 - Eco Package
Offered by Rearth
Price: $32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this case!, December 27, 2013
This case has a great sturdy feel. While it is not true leather, the material is it made with looks high quality and much nicer than a lot of the plasticky cases I've seen before. I keep my drivers license and 1 credit card in the 2 card slots as well as a couple more loyalty cards in the 'pouch' underneath the card slots. This has allowed me to go wallet free for the past 3 weeks and I love it! I saw some people complain about the flap being in the way but I have not found that to be the case. From the get go that flap would open and stick well out away from the phone screen, not flipping up and over into the screen area. My only critique of the case that kept it from being 5 star is the fact that there is a huge white label affixed to the inside of the clear plastic mounting plastic for your phone. I find it odd that they put in crystal clear plastic for the mount and then obscured the entire backside of it with a white label. I purchased the white Nexus 5 and wanted to be able to see the white backside of the phone through the clear plastic so I removed the label but really had to work to get adhesive off. It seemed fairly evident that this label was not intended to be removed. It's not really a huge deal but I found it to be the one negative aspect. If I could I would rate this 4.7/5 instead of 4/5.

Pros:
- Looks great
- Is not overly bulky
- Comes with screen shield
- Cost is more than fair

Cons:
- Adhesive sticker inside clear mounting bracket takes away some of the cosmetic value

Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush (WP-900)
Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush (WP-900)
Price: $84.99
17 used & new from $79.96

5.0 out of 5 stars should have bought years ago, July 1, 2013
Two months of using the system and my teeth still feel as clean as the last time I had them cleaned at the dentist.

Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More angry!, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free) (App)
Updated graphics and sounds with all the fun of the original! Great app and sure to pack plenty of fun when you have a few minutes to spare!

The Greater of Two Evils
The Greater of Two Evils
Price: $10.19
49 used & new from $3.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing new life into the classics, November 18, 2010
Somehow Anthrax released this album and I never knew of it until today. Unfortunately the John Bush era is over for Anthrax and the second age of Joey Belladonna is upon us. I have listened to this album using Zunepass and have to say it is incredible. Some of the older Anthrax albums are a bit hard to listen to nowadays due to production quality. This album has many of those highlight songs from the original Belladonna years re-done with better production and John Bush on vocals. I personally feel that almost every song benefits from this treatment.

I will admit that I became a fan of Anthrax thanks to the Attack of the Killer B's album and then worked backwards, but it was Sound of White Noise that knocked it out of the park for me. Stomp 442 as well. After that I didn't listen to many of the older albums with the same enthusiasm I once had for them. It's fantastic to hear those greats brought up to a higher level. And then to hear some of the really old stuff, like Panic which was basically unfamiliar to me, is jawdropping.

I highly recommend this to any fans of Anthrax and especially to those who enjoyed John Bush on vocals.

The Machinery of Light
The Machinery of Light
38 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A mind blowing conclusion to a stellar trilogy, August 3, 2010
This review is from: The Machinery of Light (Paperback)
Lets start off first and note that this is the final book of the Autumn Rain Trilogy. Thus, if you have not read The Mirrored Heavens and The Burning Skies already, you should go do that now. If you have already read those, than you already have a fair understanding of what this trilogy is made up of. Fast, brutal action and more plot twists and double crosses than anyone should be tasked with keeping track of.

The Machinery of Light picks up where The Burning Skies left off. The World is on the very brink of World War III and our protagonists are scattered all over the Earth-Moon system. As the final war kicks off, the picture slowly starts to clear that everything has been orchestrated to get here. I won't go into details on the plot here, but will state that this book most assuredly concludes the series. There is no wiggle room to squeeze another book out or dangling plot threads to keep us wondering. This is a true bona fide conclusion that is so rare these days. I can also state that I never even came close to guessing how the endgame would play out. Even with 5 pages to go, I was still left wondering. But in the end, everything is revealed.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. There are some things that potential readers should know. As a whole, this is a very bleak outlook on the future of our world. There are very few "happy moments" and in general, I can state unequivocally that I would hate to live in this future. The protagonists are in many ways unlikable human beings. Self serving, manipulative and treacherous. Yet I still found myself getting attached to a number of them and caring about how they fared with WWIII raging in the background. This series takes place in the year 2110, which raises my only bone of contention. The level of technology just doesn't seem plausible in only 100 years from now. At a minimum, we would need to have most of this technology now and be building at a breakneck pace to achieve the infrastructure that is present in these books 100 years from now. It's a relatively minor point, but one that stuck with me starting with The Burning Skies and through the end of The Machinery of Light.

Lastly, this book is almost worth the purchase price just for the cover art alone. This is seriously one of the best looking covers I have seen on a SFF book and it is also one of the few that really captures the essence of a particular scene in perfect detail.

David J Williams has written a tour de force to kick of what I think will be a brilliant career. I can't recommend this enough to fans of hard sci-fi, cyberpunk or even just good military fiction.

The Burning Skies
The Burning Skies
51 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-stop white knuckled ride!, August 3, 2010
This review is from: The Burning Skies (Paperback)
Burning Skies is the sequel to The Mirrored Heavens , part of the Autumn Rain Trilogy. So if you haven't read The Mirrored Heavens, stop now and go look up that book first. The Autumn Rain Trilogy takes place 100 years in the future in the year 2110. The political climate of Earth is tense with the US and the Eurasian Coalition basically in a standoff state as the true global powers. To ratchet up the tension, a new highly sophisticated terrorist group known only as Autumn Rain have made their presence known by orchestrating the destruction of the Phoenix Space Elevator, part of the events of The Mirrored Heavens.

Burning Skies picks up with the search for Autumn Rain in high gear and follows a cast of characters that are basically futuristic special ops agents. There are the Razors, which are agents that specialize in running the "Zone". They play havoc with an enemies defenses and run interference for their counterparts, the Mechs. The Mechs are the true firepower wielders. Wearing high tech powered armor suits and toting enough ordinance to ruin anyone's day, they do the bulk of the fighting while the Razor manipulates events more indirectly.

I don't want to go into the storyline, I think that should be something the reader gets to experience firsthand. I will just say that David J Williams writes in a style that lends itself to intensely fast paced action and the pages turn at an almost alarming rate. There are times were his structure will seem somewhat terse, or maybe clipped, and that may be off putting to some readers. But I personally feel that it lends itself to the chaotic mess that the characters are constantly dealing with. The action is fast and furious and the writing style really puts a punctuation on that. There are very few places where you can easily put the book down without convincing yourself to read "just one more section". In the end, it's a thrill ride with a ton of twists and turns and one mother of a cliffhanger. Fortunately for anyone reading this now, the final book, The Machinery of Light, is now available.

The Autumn Rain Trilogy could be generalized as a blending of cyberpunk like Neuromancer, political military fiction like Tom Clancy and an equal dose of sci-fi. It's a fantastically fast paced thrill ride that is hard to put down.

The Mirrored Heavens
The Mirrored Heavens
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard edged sci-fi thrill ride, June 15, 2010
This is the first book of the Autumn Rain Trilogy. The 5 second summary would be to say this is part Tom Clancy, part cyberpunk, and a dash of maybe Ironman. David J Williams does a phenomenal job of creating a believable, but starkly ominous, future landscape. Many of the battles are fought by 'mechs' and 'razors'. The mechs are the supersoldiers, using high tech weapons and powered combat armor, thus the Ironman reference. The Razors are their support waging battle in the Zone. The Zone is basically a vision of the Internet 100 years from now. Greatly segmented and locked down compared to today, and critically important during battle. The razors are the eyes and ears of the mechs, the ones who can disable security from a distance, and sometimes even hack an enemy's own mind. When it all comes together, the scenario is very believable, the action is fast paced, and the book is just a fun ride from start to finish.

One minor complaint is that there are a few sequences where the action is maybe too frantic. A few times I realized I had just blazed through multiple paragraphs and had not really comprehended what was happening. This isn't a slight on the authoring, I think he did a tremendous job of instilling the feeling of how hectic these battles would be and the writing amplifies that. It's maybe more a case where you need to remind yourself to come up for air once in a while to digest what you just read.

If you're looking for a fast paced near future sci-fi experience, then you owe it to yourself to give this a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3