Profile for Michael B. Healy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael B. Healy "Realist" RSS Feed (Arlington Heights, IL, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Stuka Pilot
Stuka Pilot
Price: $6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars How did this guy live through the war?, June 6, 2015
This review is from: Stuka Pilot (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes I wonder if guys like Hans Ulrich Rudel could possibly have been real. His story is frankly amazing, though I would have been very happy to see a (verified if at all possible) list of all the things that he destroyed while flying his Stuka. Is it in the paper edition? An interesting read that could benefit from better translation and some serious proofreading. A professional co-author would have done the story wonders, too.

Deadly Shores: Destroyermen
Deadly Shores: Destroyermen
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beat Goes On, June 6, 2015
Why do I keep reading this endless series? Because the battles are written well. Characters are generally wooden (I find myself picturing a WW2-era Allied propaganda movie starring Errol Flynn in all of the good guy roles and Basil Rathbone as all of the bad guys), but the combat is nicely done. There's still a lot of this Earth left to be discovered in the book so Mr. Anderson can probably crank out six or seven more volumes. As long as the conflict remains interesting (and my bank account holds out), I'll keep reading them.

Bayonets, Balloons & Ironclads: Britain and France Take Sides with the South (Britannia's First Trilogy Book 3)
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Alternate-History, June 6, 2015
Reviewing a book months after reading it is not useless, but it's getting close. I don't remember any of the details any more! While not as compelling as the opening volume in the series, BB&I was a solid read, leaving me with a desire to check in in the timeline again - which (to me) is a good indication that this was a solid alt-history story. If you like classic Turtledove, you will probably enjoy this book, and by extension the rest of the trilogy.

D DAY - Through German Eyes - Wehrmacht Soldier Accounts of June 6th 1944
D DAY - Through German Eyes - Wehrmacht Soldier Accounts of June 6th 1944
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, short read., May 17, 2015
Another interesting short read available for free lending for Prime customers. The book is basically just 5 interviews with German survivors of the Normandy landings - one from each allied zone - from about 10 years after the event. The stories can be somewhat graphic, but are all quite interesting. One of the men was an officer in charge of the remote-controlled Goliath mini-tanks/tracked bombs, which was fascinating in itself. All of them tell of their motivation to defend the French coast against the allies, and they all describe the overwhelming disadvantage that they faced in materiel.

Editing is good. Not an exciting page-turner, but worth a look from any military history fan.

Dreadnought: A History of the Modern Battleship
Dreadnought: A History of the Modern Battleship
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid overview of Battleship development from 1906 to 1940-something., May 9, 2015
For a lending library quickie, this was a very good read. I don't have the hardcover edition to compare it to, but I suspect that it loses something in the conversion to Kindle use (like maybe a boatload of illustrations). Still, it was well written and kept at least this readers' interest in what could easily have been a very dry subject. It *is* very light on ship specifications and technical details, but most of that stuff is already general knowledge to the people that the book is apparently aimed at, so no big deal.

COLLEGE | Animal House Belishi Tribute 70s Comedy Unisex T-shirt-Blue-X-Large
COLLEGE | Animal House Belishi Tribute 70s Comedy Unisex T-shirt-Blue-X-Large
Offered by New York Fashion Police
Price: $19.38
3 used & new from $17.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Shirt, May 9, 2015
Fit is fine for my 6'4", 235lb frame. Quality is good. This will be one of my go-to t-shirts for the summer. I love shirts that make most people look at you like you're a little off - but a few goofballs get a chuckle out of it. Best of all - no advertising.

The IX
The IX
Price: $9.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., April 29, 2015
This review is from: The IX (Kindle Edition)
The idea behind the story is a good one, but the book suffers from poor character development and a large number of "scene missing" moments, which had me re-reading sections to see what I missed, yet still never finding whatever it was that confused me. I'm starting to think that his whole self-publishing thing - I'm assuming that this is self published - is just leaving the market filled with a whole lot of books that just aren't worth reading, even if they're free.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 7:53 AM PDT

Zero
Zero
Price: $4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not compelling, April 25, 2015
This review is from: Zero (Kindle Edition)
Interesting if you enjoy the subject. Suffers from many of the "this book was converted to digital format using an optical scanner and nobody bothered to proofread it" issues. It would be comical if they weren't charging for it.

In any case, the original author comes across the same way may surviving Japanese officers seem to regarding the war: We made a huge mistake! What were we thinking! A few interesting anecdotes (especially about how the Japanese used up their men in hopeless battles of attrition), but mostly a re-hash of stuff any student of WW2 history probably already knows. Very dry.

Columbia Men's 38mm Cotton Washed Webbing,Black,42
Columbia Men's 38mm Cotton Washed Webbing,Black,42
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Okay, April 21, 2015
Bigger than I remember military web belts being. Thanks to my expanding middle, the buckle digs into me a little too much to wear regularly.

Red Kap Men's Slash Pocket Jacket, Navy, Long X-Large
Red Kap Men's Slash Pocket Jacket, Navy, Long X-Large
Price: $34.38
8 used & new from $28.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Work Jacket, April 21, 2015
I give it 4 stars because I'll never "love" a work jacket. Nevertheless, it fits well and is very warm for what I'd call a light jacket. The only complaint that I have is that it has no inside pocket for me to stuff documents into. Had I know that in advance, I might not have ordered it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11