Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Del llanto a la sonrisa (Especialidades Juveniles) (Spanish Edition)
Del llanto a la sonrisa (Especialidades Juveniles) (Spanish Edition)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars faith, June 20, 2014
Sin Fe Yo me pregunto como personas pueden vivir. Como el autor cuando tengo un problema siempre pongo mi Fe que Dios me carga en ese momento y me pasa sobre el río

Nespresso Aeroccino Plus Milk Frother
Nespresso Aeroccino Plus Milk Frother
Price: $87.40
70 used & new from $62.99

4.0 out of 5 stars We use it daily and love it., February 25, 2013
We have a nice Saeco machine for espresso and its frother works just fine, but this little device makes wonderful foam, it is super fast and it is easy to use with consistent results.

I'm writing the review mainly to endorse to the customer service that we received from Nespresso. After daily use for 9 months, it just wouldn't turn on anymore. No warning. Just stopped working. Called the 866Nespresso number, was on hold for a minute or so, customer service agent came on the line and took my info and had a new one dropped in the mail that day. Easy as that. Wish all customer service interactions could be as pleasant, efficient and satisfying.

Stardust
Stardust
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Stardust (Amazon Instant Video)
I read the book a while ago and very much enjoyed it. The movie is just as enjoyable in a different way, as movies are meant to be. The 12+ age guideline is a good one for parents, as I am not sure my 9 and 10 year old are completely ready for the movie. The movie talent is impressive and does not disappoint. I am surprised this flew under the radar when it was released.

Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Offered by Super Z Outlet
Price: $35.50
6 used & new from $35.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for us, February 29, 2012
We needed a few wall hangings in the office to fit quirky sized spaces. This worked out perfectly. Arrived in fine shape in a reasonable amount of protective packing. It's in a highly visible spot where hundreds of people pass and it regularly garners compliments. Very neutral in tone, but the colors are a pleasure in their subtlety and refinement. NIce work.

Word Problems (Kumon Math Workbooks Grade 3)
Word Problems (Kumon Math Workbooks Grade 3)
by Kumon Publishing
Price: $7.95
101 used & new from $1.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the bill, August 15, 2011
My son, rising into 4th grade, was not doing well on focusing on reading the question. His arithmetic was fine, but he would work too quickly and not pay attention to what was being asked of him. The 36 lessons in this book were an excellent fit. Each lesson focuses on level appropriate addition, subtraction, mixed calculations, multiplication and division. Plus some graphs and time problems. Level of difficulty was not arduous and it would taken him about twenty minutes to do two lessons a day. Maybe 10 questions a lesson on average. Perfect for summer time and giving him some responsibility in keeping track of where he was supposed to be. His skills in reading the question improved and he even grudgingly admitted that it was a lesson well learned. I did tape the back few pages shut where the answer key is located.

The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First
by Jonah Keri
Price: $17.78
126 used & new from $1.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., April 3, 2011
Solid sort of book, but not something I would go out of the way to recommend to a friend who has interest in baseball. I felt like I've read this before and Billy Beane was way more entertaining a character. Plus, I'm interested in the Rays, and I felt like I came away with very little understanding of the new regime. I guess just playing close to the vest is part of the Wall St strategy, but it didn't leave me too satisfied as a reader. Got to know plenty about the Naimoli-Lamar fiasco, but that was a pretty public mess, and the rehash here mainly left me with pity for Chuck Lamar. The writing is okay. Some humorous jabs and quips seep in through parenthetical asides. It's very similar to Baseball Between the Numbers (the BP compilation put out a couple years back that Keri edited, and is a little more interesting than this book) in that the author asks some interesting, offbeat questions but the intellectual energy behind the question doesn't flow through the writing. All that said though, as a baseball fan, I'm glad we're seeing more books like this one these days with good, solid analysis, especially of teams that have been overlooked for too long, just like the Rays.

Skippyjon Jones
Skippyjon Jones
by Judy Schachner
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $8.80
42 used & new from $4.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Just say no, November 25, 2008
This review is from: Skippyjon Jones (Audio CD)
We purchase books from Scholastic frequently and were shocked when we read these to our children. We had a sense of trust that the books our children get from Scholastic, through their classroom, promote valuable ideas of diversity and cultural understanding. We feel that these books failed to meet that expectation.

To put it more bluntly, these books are racist. The author is exploiting a demeaning stereotype of Mexicans and we refuse to perpetuate this stereotype for our children. The rhymes are silly, but the laughs are cheap and they don't educate. They pander to an insulting, pre-conceived notion that I would have hoped died with the Frito Bandito ads of the 1970's. Ms. Schachner insults the Spanish language by bastardizing much of her dialogue into Spanglish words that end in -ito. You can learn more Spanish by reading the menu at the Taco Bell than you can by reading these books.

We don't buy books from Scholastic in order to get our Cheech and Chong fix (",dude"). It's stunning that educators can promote a book whose plot can be summarized as a cat visits a bunch of Mexicans who mainly party and sleep but are too cowardly to seize back their beans from the boogeyman. In this context you have to wonder why we weren't treated to Siamese cats with schlocky and insulting faux-Asian accents that practice martial arts when fighting the sinister nemesis.

We expect Scholastic to understand that words and language are powerful. Publishers of children's books have a responsibility in that they open up conversations for children and expose them to ideas that help them relate to other people. These ideas are building blocks for young minds. They deserve a better foundation than these books have to offer.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2013 7:39 PM PDT

KRUPS XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black
KRUPS XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap in the short run, but doesn't last., October 23, 2008
This machine lacks long term value. We're on our third one of these from a local big box retailer. The first two didn't last three months each. Low priced compared to most machines but that price doesn't help now that we're looking to replace it again after only another six months. At this point, the pump doesn't have enough force to push through the espresso when it is ground and packed properly. The frother is adequate once you get the hang of it. The wand never really had enough oomph to froth 20oz of milk in a pitcher. So if you like one shot in a 12oz drink, your pushing the limits of the machine if you make two drinks in the morning. As an alternative we tried the Bialetti Mukka which was also limited by its capacity. The price jump to the next level is significant and so we'll shop carefully before committing for the long term. But we certainly wouldn't go back to this machine.

Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 10-1/4-Inch Skillet with Iron Handle, Cherry
Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 10-1/4-Inch Skillet with Iron Handle, Cherry
Offered by Cutlery and More
Price: $139.95
2 used & new from $95.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan, March 24, 2008
Once seasoned, the surface functions very well as non-stick. This is our omelet machine on the weekends and it does a great job like any cast iron pan with heat retention and it heats evenly on our gas burners. Plus no worries about Teflon chips or hazards.

Canon Pixma iP2600 Photo Inkjet Printer (2435B002)
Canon Pixma iP2600 Photo Inkjet Printer (2435B002)
Offered by janson118
Price: $149.99
26 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 24, 2008
Using it with Mac OS X v10.5 connected to the airport wireless hub so that it functions as a network printer for all the macs in the house. Blazing fast, excellent color print quality. I don't intend to use it for photos. Print cartridges are less expensive than most. Set up was simple plug and play. Very pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3