Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Profile for Scott M Herrmann-Keeling > Reviews

Scott M Herrmann...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott M Herrmann-Keeling RSS Feed

Nexus 7 Screen Protector, JETech® 2-Pack Google Nexus 7 FHD (2nd GENERATION) 2013 Tablet Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector
Offered by JEDirect
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't affect the color or resolution and went on pretty easily, not flawless but I got the bubbles ..., December 29, 2014
Fit my Google Nexus 7 perfectly and it works well with my stylus (I briefly had a different screen protector that squeaked when I used the stylus on it). It doesn't affect the color or resolution and went on pretty easily, not flawless but I got the bubbles out. I was particularly happy with the sticker they included which allowed me to get out a few hairs/pieces of dust that had snuck under before I could set it in place.

Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid, Black
Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid, Black
Offered by KnDdeals4You
Price: $17.99
70 used & new from $12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This has literally changed my life, July 25, 2013
Pretty much dead on with what everyone else is saying. For $15 this thing can't be beat. I've had it for a year and a half now and I will buy another if this one ever dies. I began using it for very basic smoothies, wasn't blending much of anything harder than a banana. But I'd never had such easy access to smoothies before. Having something this easy to use and clean has totally changed my diet. More recently I've been throwing in whole frozen strawberries and even ice cubes without a problem. I've noticed the smell of the motor but it seems to happen less when the material I'm using is colder. The more frozen the concoction, the less the motor smells. Which seems counter intuitive but there you go.

K & M Clarinet Stand
K & M Clarinet Stand
Price: $16.99
55 used & new from $14.96

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, March 11, 2013
This review is from: K & M Clarinet Stand (Electronics)
It's reasonably compact (it doesn't fit into the bell of my clarinet while in the case, like the copy says it will, though it did fit easily into the pocket of my fleece jacket so I didn't have to carry it) and very stable, which is good. The ring of felt where the bell rests on the stand is a nice touch. I did have one problem when using it in the pit: it is entirely black. This was a problem when I tried to find it during the show. I put some glow in the dark tape around the top of the stand, which helped a little, but I ultimately had to move it to a spot on the floor with a little bit of light. My wife suggested putting in on a white piece of paper, which may also have worked.

Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch
Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch
Price: $37.49
38 used & new from $32.09

5.0 out of 5 stars An objective review updated three times over three years, February 9, 2012
Things I like about this watch:

- It's solar powered. That was a huge draw for me as my last two Timex Expeditions both died during battery changes. That shouldn't be an issue anymore.

- It's less than $40. Really? That's cheaper than it would have been to buy yet another of those Timex Expeditions I'd been wearing for years.

- It has five alarms. I've only used two so far (and probably won't need more than that, really) but that second one will come in handy frequently. Again, it beats the Timex.

- The countdown timer "done" chirp is different from the alarm chirp. So you know exactly why your watch is making noise.

- The hands glow in the dark and are easy to read at night.

- It's a decent looking watch. I liked the Timex better, but this will do.

- I found it easy to set and learn the many features. When I set the digital clock to the correct time, the analog hands automatically adjusted themselves to match the digital! Setting my Timex (when I traveled to a new time zone, for example) was far more complicated.

Things I don't like about this watch:

- The band will occasionally grab my arm hairs. That hurts. I'm likely to switch bands.

- The band was complicated to adjust size-wise. It took a while (hour or two) and some tools to pull enough links from the band so I could wear it. But that's a one-time operation and it's fine now.

- It doesn't have a sweep second hand. I used that on my Timex occasionally. This watch is nice, though, in that the seconds tick off on all three time/date/day modes of the digital watch, which should make up for the lack of a sweep hand on the analog.

Things the jury is still out on:

- When I do switch bands, the watch will be quite light. Most of the weight on my wrist is in the stainless steel band. I'm not sure how that will feel. And that may not matter to anyone else.

- Keeping the battery charged could possibly be challenging. The manual is filled with advice about keeping the full face of the watch exposed to light as much as possible. Even partially covering the face, it says, can dramatically reduce its ability to hold a charge. The watch did come in a box it had to have been in for several days with no exposure to light at all. The battery was fully charged upon arrival. I've been wearing it practically on my wrist bone, very close to my hand, outside of my long shirt sleeve so it is exposed to light at all times. When I switch bands, it will probably sit in the more traditional spot farther up my arm and be covered during the work day. It'll be interesting to see if this causes battery problems. It may take a few weeks for them to manifest if it does. I'll update this review if I notice a problem.

- I'm ambivalent about the light. It's definitely not as bright as the Indiglo on the Timex, but that's essentially a tiny flashlight - far brighter than truly necessary to illuminate the watch face. This light shines on the digital portion only, but the analog hands glow so it shouldn't be an issue.

- I'm also ambivalent about the volume level of the alarms. They're quieter than the Timex, but so far that hasn't been a problem for me. If you're a heavy sleeper and rely on your watch to wake you, you might have cause for concern.

- It's too soon to tell how tough the crystal face will be. While I don't beat on my watches, there were a few occasions over the years where I was surprised my Timex didn't get scratched. The face of this watch says "tough solar" on it, below the Casio brand, so I'm hopeful. I'll update this review if I notice a scratch.

In general, I'm thrilled so far. A solar powered watch for less than $40. Wow.

UPDATE March 25, 2012

I've been wearing this watch for just over six weeks now and wanted to give a status update: I love it more than I did when I first got it.

- I've wanged it around a couple of times and thought, "That'll leave a mark." But the face is fine. If I *really* look (up close, at the right angle), I can see a small scratch; nothing that interferes with the function in any way.

- Despite concerns about the battery, this has been a non-issue. The instructions, as I mention above, contain all sorts of dire warnings about what can happen if the face of the watch is even partially obscured by anything that will block the light. Long-sleeve shirts could be a problem under this scenario. They haven't been so far. I use the features of the watch frequently and scroll past the battery level indicator more than 2-3 times per day. Not once has it been below "hi".

- When I went to set it for daylight saving time, all I needed to do was push a couple of buttons to turn the DST mode on. This changed the hour on the digital watch for me and moved the hands on the analog to the new time practically instantly.

UPDATE July 25, 2013

I've been meaning to add to this for a while but didn't think it made sense because for the last five weeks the watch has been sitting, unworn, on my night stand. Breaking a wrist (and badly scraping up the other one) reduces the ability to wear a wrist watch. After five weeks it's back on and it hasn't skipped a beat. So here's where we are:

- Face has a couple more scratches than in March 2012, including one that doesn't require squinching around to actually see. But still nothing that impacts my ability to read it.

- My night stand is not the most well-lit spot in the house. I gets no actual sunlight and unless I had my bedside lamp on (maybe 30 minutes at the longest), the watch did not receive enough light to actually have the digital portion turn on. But when I picked it up this morning, it was working just fine. The battery indicator still reads "hi" and it is nice to have it back.

I still consider this a very sound investment.

UPDATE May 11, 2015

It's been over three years and I can find few flaws in this watch. Last summer I had it on when I rolled a canoe and took a dip. It never missed a beat. There are now two permanent white scuff marks on the clear face but they are quite small and don't interfere in any way with the function or my use of it. I've no idea how or when they got there. When I hold the face at enough of an angle and squint just right I can see a number of scratches. Not in any way an issue.

In short, if you're at all on the fence about this timepiece, just get it. It's a bargain at twice the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 7:24 PM PST