Profile for J. York > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 410

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. York RSS Feed (Cypress, TX United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bort Hand Splint & Finger Joint Support-L-Blue-Left
Bort Hand Splint & Finger Joint Support-L-Blue-Left
Offered by BraceAbility
Price: $74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent wrist/finger night splint for carpal tunnel suffers, July 28, 2014
I've worn IMAK Smart Glove PMs for years to help alleviate stress on my tendons at night. I have severe carpal tunnel in both hands and the Smart Glove PM was a great idea with flawed execution. Specifically, the one-size-fits-all approach isn't great for people with large hands!

Although this Bort Hand splint costs a lot more money than the Smart Glove PM, it is worth every penny. I was able to get a perfect fit and adjust it precisely to the contours of my hand. Once I bent it to my liking, it is supremely comfortable and holds my fingers perfectly at night. No more waking up with my hands asleep from being overly bent! My fingers rest comfortably on the support and my wrist is held in a perfectly neutral position. The material is comfortable against my skin and seems to breath well. I got the dark blue color as it looks less "medical" than the tan ones.

With this product, good fit is critical. I initially bought the wrong size and was thankful that the seller was very easy to work with on the return.

I like that this leaves your thumb just free enough that you can move around your blanket and pillows. I tried a different Bort splint with a thumb guard and found it made it impossible to move anything around in the bed.

I've always found that if I can start off the day with my wrists happy, I have a much better chance of making it through the day without my fingers going numb from my carpal tunnel. This Bort splint gives me the best shot at keeping down the swelling at night and starting each day off in the best possible condition! I highly recommend this and plan on buying another one for my right hand.

Bort ManuCarpal SOFT Carpal Tunnel Night Splint Brace-L-Left
Bort ManuCarpal SOFT Carpal Tunnel Night Splint Brace-L-Left
Offered by BraceAbility
Price: $139.99

3.0 out of 5 stars the thumb support didn't work for me, July 28, 2014
I have been using the IMAK Smart Glove PM for years but it was always too small and constrictive for my large hands. As the Smart Glove PMs started to wear out, I decided to try the more expensive offerings from Bort. I like that Bort offers individual sizes and has dedicated "left" versus "right" splints. I know this jacks up the price, but I have severe carpal tunnel (even after surgery) so I'm interested in any relief I can get at night!

I tried this Bort ManuCarpal night splint but found it impossible to fit comfortably on my hand. Although the splint is very well made and looks like it will last a long time, the position of the thumb support forced me to push my thumb into an uncomfortable position and no amount of adjustment could get it right. I had the correct size but it didn't work for me. Having the thumb jut out also made it rest unevenly on my bed or chest. This caused my wrist to have to twist uncomfortably.

With your thumb in the support, you have no ability to grab your blankets or pillows.

Thankfully, the seller is very understanding and returning it was easy. I ended up buying the Bort Hand Splint & Finger Joint Support (similar to this product but it doesn't have a thumb support) and I'm very happy with that product as a replacement for my Smart Glove PM.

THINKWARE F550 Full HD Dashboard Camera with high-speed Cortex A8 Processor, GPS Tracker, & Dual Save Technology
Price: $329.99

4.0 out of 5 stars black box for your car, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The THINKWARE F550 dashboard camera works well as a vehicle "black box" to keep a record of your driving in the event of a mishap. The F550 is very small and I affixed it to the windshield behind the rearview mirror of my car. This gave it a commanding view of the road while keeping it out of sight. The included power cable is quite long and I was able to hide it all the way around my roof/a-pillar/footwell to the nearest 12v outlet.

This dashboard camera records nice video in daylight and does a good enough job at night that you could at least prove that you didn't run a red light. It has a wide-angle fisheye lens that can see just as much as you can looking through the windshield. The wide-angle even allows you to see the color of stoplights when you're well into the intersection. This is great for proving that you entered the intersection when the light was still yellow or that you had the green.

Once installed, the unit automatically records all the time (when powered on). You don't need to worry about tracking video files or anything like that as it will automatically replace the oldest driving videos with newer ones. The included 16GB card seems to be good for 9-10 hours of video at the highest quality settings. Again, you don't need to think about managing the storage space as it is fully automatic.

On the matter of video quality; it is 1080p, but given the small size of the sensor, the video quality isn't going to win you any awards. It seems like a very good cell phone video. It is unable to make out the license plate of any car around you unless the car is directly in front of you and only about 10 feet away. The same goes for street signs; they are usually not legible unless you're sitting in the front row at a stop light. But you can easily tell the color of street lights, see lane markers, etc…

Things get noticeably worse at night. The headlights from oncoming traffic cause a lot of light flares that take away from what you can see. Even driving on a moderately well-lit road, the camera will only record what is directly lit by your headlights or directly under street lights. Still, even at night the F550 provides a good record of "who did what when" in the event of an accident.

The F550 includes an interior microphone (built into the power plug). It provides a poor audio record of what is going on in the car. If you talk loudly, it will record what you're saying, but in my sporty car, it mostly picks up road and exhaust noise.

When you need to access the videos, you extract a very tiny MicroSD chip and insert it into an SD card converter that lets you plug it into a laptop. From there it will show up on your Mac or Windows as another hard drive. Your driving is split out into a large collection of 1 minute AVI video files. You can use THINKWARE's free "black box" software to play the AVI files and see a GPS overlay of your position on map. The software also shows you your speed during the drive.

Because there are so many 1 minute files, the F550 goes the extra step of taking any unusual "events" and copying those video segments into a separate folder. If somebody hits your car, it will set off the impact sensor and this process will be automatic. I ran over some very rough roads and it triggered an event. The same thing goes when I tested slamming on the brakes. The "event" files won't be overwritten as frequently so you can be sure they'll make it home for analysis.

Overall I found the dozens of 1minute files to be tedious to watch so I think the "event" feature is very important for helping you find the footage you're interested in.

A few random observations:

* The time is set automatically by GPS.
* When driving at night, green lights look white.
* When driving at night, I couldn't read any license plates, even for cars directly in front of me at a stop light.
* When you unplug it, the last file that it was recording is corrupted. This means you can lose about the last minute of video. This seems like a serious problem in the event that an accident caused your car to lose power. Hopefully they can fix this with a firmware update.

Overall this seems like a very competent dashboard camera in a very small package. For extra money, you can hook in a rear camera so that you have full front/rear coverage of your car. Knowing that sometimes the truth gets clouded in the event of a car accident, I think the F550 provides tremendous peace of mind that the insurance companies can get all of the facts.

Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder - 10 Oz
Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder - 10 Oz
Offered by Product Resort
Price: $7.94
13 used & new from $7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars great if you're on your feet all day, July 26, 2014
This product excels at killing foot odor in my shoes. I dust in a very small amount every day or so and I never have any problems with sweaty feet causing a stink.

I stand all day at work and without this product, I start to smell my feet by noon. With this product, I never smell them. A little bit goes a long way.

I like this a lot better than the Dr. Scholl's powder because it smells minty/fresh where as Dr. Scholl's smells like chemicals to me.

BLACK+DECKER BDH1620FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum with Stick Vacuum Floor Head, 16-volt
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $89.09

5.0 out of 5 stars does it all!, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I fell in love with this little guy after just one use. My old dust buster weighed more, had no attachments, and had a battery that lasted about 2 minutes on a good day. This new flex dust buster has a more powerful battery that can go 15 minutes with no drop off in suction and weighs in at a hair over 4 pounds. Using the built-in flexible hose, you can easily go two handed with this, holding the motor in one hand while using the wand in the other hand to quickly clean up any mess.

Using the hair-brush attachment, I cleaned all of the mini blinds in my bedroom in about 10 minutes. I then did some light dusting and suddenly I was overcome with the desire to vacuum all of my baseboards. Using the 4-feet of extending aluminum tubing (also very lightweight), I was able to quickly breeze through room after room, cleaning the baseboards without ever having to crouch over. I know I could do the same thing with my normal vacuum, but this was faster and lighter and I didn't have to move from power outlet to power outlet.

The 16v battery seems plenty powerful. I have a 20v "platinum" dust buster as well, and it is more powerful, but this form factor is more useful and lighter and I would probably choose this dust buster over its bigger cousin every day.

Emptying this dust buster is very easy. You hold it over a trash can and then depress a latch to swing open a glass "door". From there, the mess simply spills out. There is an internal filter you can shake out too every once in a while. Because the structure is clear, you can always tell how full it is.

My only complaints are minor. First, this dust buster emits a loud, high pitched sound during usage. I find it painful to listen to. My old dust buster seemed quieter. I wear ear plugs when I use this for more than a small cleanup.

Another (minor) complaint is that the plastic of the crevice tool is a bit too hard. This makes it able to scratch delicate surfaces. My old dust buster had a softer plastic that would never scratch a table or any other surface that I rubbed it on. With this one I have to be careful.

Overall, I fell in love with this thing and look forward to many great years of usage. Quite an advance from the old anteater style dust busters!

TCP LA1027KND6 LED A19 - 60 Watt Equivalent (10W) Soft White (2700K) Light Bulb - 6 Pack
Price: $41.48
3 used & new from $35.79

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent all around, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
TCP LED light bulbs are great performers on a number of fronts. They turn on instantly and immediately reach full brightness, no matter what the temperature. The bulbs are quite bright but use very little power. The color temperature is a pleasing warm color with no hint of blue and no discernable flicker. They provide an even light distribution to the side of the bulb which makes them usable in shaded light fixtures (you don't get a stark line of light and dark like you do with some LED bulbs that only shine in one direction).

These bulbs very closely mimic the shape of a classic incandescent light bulb ("A19"). If it matters to you, they are probably the most lightweight LED bulb that I've used.

There are 6 bulbs in this package.

The price on these is pretty great as of the time of this writing (7/14). The bulbs are rated to last more than 22 years but the warranty is only for three.

So far I'm loving these and wouldn't think twice about getting more.

OCZ Storage Solutions Vertex 460 Series 240GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) With Acronis True Image HD Cloning Software- VTX460-25SAT3-240G
Price: Click here to see our price
57 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars blazing fast, easy migration, July 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been doing a lot of video ripping and editing and 5400 and 7200 RPM drives were not up to the task. Doing real-time ripping, the hard drives would sometimes be too slow and then frames would be lost. The same goes for playback. The OCZ 240GB SSD drive immediately fixed my problem and I no longer have any glitches in my video ripping or playback.

SSD drives have no moving parts and greatly speed up access to files. With this drive installed, my programs appear as soon as I click on them. I'm not having as many delays where the cursor is frozen or busy. Installing this drive in your old computer is a lot like buying a new computer.

This OCZ SSD comes with a free license to the some system cloning software. Using this cloning software made it really simple to migrate my existing Windows machine from a hard drive to this OCZ SSD.

To migrate, you attach the OCZ SSD to your system (I used a USB3 SATA enclosure) and then run the included Acronis cloning software. The Acronis software proceeds to create an identical copy of your system onto the OCZ SSD. You then turn everything off, open your computer, remove the hard drive, put the SSD in its place, put it everything back together and turn it back on. You're done!

OCZ includes a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay adapter with this drive in case you're installing into a larger desktop computer. The 2.5" fit perfectly in my laptop with no adapter. The SSD is thinner than the hard drive I removed.

Lucky Brand Men's 361 Vintage Straight-Leg Jean In Erwin
Lucky Brand Men's 361 Vintage Straight-Leg Jean In Erwin
Price: $46.98

5.0 out of 5 stars fit as expected, July 1, 2014
These are nice looking jeans and have a little bit of elasticity to them. They fit identical to my old Levi 550 jeans which made shopping over the Internet much easier.

Amazon let's you return these for free (no return shipping charge) so it's easy to try them on without risking any money.

So far the lucky jeans have held up well.

InterDesign Una Bin, 10 by 6 by 6-Inch, Clear
InterDesign Una Bin, 10 by 6 by 6-Inch, Clear
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality for the price, July 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a small storage bin made of a strong, rigid plastic. The height is just right for filling with small to medium sized bottles of shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant or other toiletries.

I have both the white and the clear version of this bin. I prefer the clear version because the sides make it very easy to see what's inside without having to rummage around. The white version seems to weigh less. I'm not sure why.

The plastic has been rounded so you don't experience the sharp edge that you get on cheaply made stuff.

I like that it has a handle opening on both sides. The plastic is strong enough that you can hold it from only one handle and it won't bend or break. Overall, a nice bin; it would be great for a college student in a dormitory.

Gardena 8936-U Garden Hand Trowel
Gardena 8936-U Garden Hand Trowel
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy, June 28, 2014
I bought this for those times I need to get on my hands and knees to move some dirt around. It's a basic hand trowel, nothing special. What sets it apart is that build construction seems quite good and I never feel like I'm about to bend the metal (which is the problem I always have with cheaper tools).

Gardena products are expensive, but from the ones I've owned, they are much sturdier and are worth the extra money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20