Profile for J. York > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 407

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. York RSS Feed (Cypress, TX United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Organix Jerky Chip Oatmeal Cookies Pet Treats, Lamb
Organix Jerky Chip Oatmeal Cookies Pet Treats, Lamb
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars happy dogs, October 28, 2014
My dogs go bonkers for these jerky treats. Even my really picky dog runs up and sits down in front of me when she hears me opening the bag. I just bought another bag.

Pure Protein Daily Fit Powder, Rich Chocolate, 1.2 Pound
Pure Protein Daily Fit Powder, Rich Chocolate, 1.2 Pound
Price: $20.71
4 used & new from $20.48

4.0 out of 5 stars tastes great and really easy to mix, October 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My doctor told me that I needed to make sure that I get 30grams of protein every morning. Eating breakfast cereal wasn't cutting it so he recommended that I use a protein powder. I've tried several and this one is up with the best of them. It tastes really good, and just as importantly, it is very easy to mix.

I put this into a shaker glass along with some really cold water, shake it vigorously for about 10 seconds, and it's perfectly mixed. Having it mix well saves a lot of time versus the powders I've used where you have to use a blender.

I took away one star because this product uses sucralose. Just a personal grudge, I'm trying to cut artificial sweeteners out of my diet because I feel like I eat more after I consume them.

Multi-Colored TPU Case for Apple iPhone 6 (4.7"), AT&T Verizon Sprint T-Mobile and All Carriers, Retail Packaging, Gray
Offered by Luzy's Storage Place
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $6.58

4.0 out of 5 stars nice case, not perfect, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sturdy case that fits nicely on my iPhone 6 and seems to provide good protection. I like that it is a little thinner than other cases that I've seen and yet still protects the front of the phone when you set it down face-down. All of the openings and buttons line up perfectly.

With the case installed, the power button is slightly hard to press. This may be partially because the power button on the iPhone 6 isn't in a great position anyway (directly opposite a volume button which causes both to press when you squeeze the phone.

Another minor complaint is that when you set the phone down flat on its back and then try to use it, it will spin around some. It will hold still to a point, but it jiggles just enough that you can't type quickly when you have it laying on a desk without using another hand to stabilize it.

The case has smooth sides which make it a bit slippery if your hands aren't completely dry. I think they should have used textured rubber there to help with the grip. But it isn't bad.

Based on the sturday construction, I think this case would protect your phone if you dropped it.

Speck Products CandyShell Grip Case for iPhone 6 - Black/Slate Grey
Speck Products CandyShell Grip Case for iPhone 6 - Black/Slate Grey
Price: $34.95
7 used & new from $30.69

1.0 out of 5 stars chemical reaction with hand lotion?, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Speck CandyShell case didn't hold up well and I can't recommend it.

The CandyShell fits very nicely on the iPhone 6. Openings for chargers and headphones as well as the button covers are lined up perfectly. But the case adds quite a bit of thickness (> 2mm) and looking at it, I don't think it adds much protection in the event of a drop.

Although it looks flat, the back of the case somewhat bubbles out. Because of this, when you set your phone down face up on a table, it spins around some.

Most of the case is made of a shiny black plastic. This plastic shows every fingerprint and spec of dust that it comes across. It's impossible to keep it clean.

My wife uses a lotion on her hands that apparently interacts with the plastic. You could see these permanent smudge marks wherever she had touched the phone with her hand. Within 48 hours of use, the shiny black surface was replaced with an ugly and irregular matte finish. The phone was kept in my wife's purse the whole time and not subjected to any particularly rough treatment (other than the aforementioned hand lotion). Given what happened to the high gloss finish in such a short amount of time, I can't recommend this case.

Logitech 915-000239 Harmony Home Control for Control of 8 Home Entertainment and Automation Devices (Black)
Price: $149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars easy setup, works great, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Harmony Home Control is remarkably easy to setup and works well as a powerful universal remote. I was able to replace four remote controls with the Harmony Home Control and get rid of several cumbersome steps when changing devices.

Using the Harmony app on my iPhone, I followed on-screen instructions for setting up the Harmony Home Control. It asked me what devices I had connected to my TV. I entered the model numbers for each and it immediately new what type of device it was and then suggested some activities like "Watch TV" and Watch Movies". For each, it let me select the relevant devices and specify what inputs were required on my TV and on the sound system. It even walks you through confirming that everything is working as expected. I don't see how they could make the setup any easier.

The remote is thinner than most remote controls and has a soft textured underside that makes it comfortable to hold. Because the remote doesn't use IR technology, you don’t have to point it at your devices or even be in the same room to use it. This is great if you're listening to the news from another room but want to turn up the sound or mute a commercial.

Prior to the Harmony Home Control, switching inputs on my TV and sound system to go between my blu-ray player and DirecTV box took three remote controls and three steps. Now I hit a single button on the Harmony and everything turns on and goes to the correct input. I should have made this change a long time ago.

Harmony has a feature on their current lineup of remotes where lesser-used functions like "skip forward 30 seconds" or "chapter advance" don't have dedicated buttons but rather require you to hold down a different button for a couple of seconds to trigger those actions. In my mind, this is a reasonable compromise to keep the number of buttons downs. You can download the Harmony application from myharmony.com and redefine how the buttons behave so you have a lot of flexibility if that matters to you.

If it is important to you, you can also use the Harmony app to do pretty much everything you want from your phone. I don't have much use for this because I don't want to have to unlock my phone go back to the Harmony app just to pause my show.

There are a few negatives…

To make room for the home automation buttons, Logitech shrunk the size of the numeric buttons to half the normal height. Those buttons are so small that they're almost unusable; I'm only able to click them with careful placement of my fingernail. Other buttons are also reduced in size, though to a lesser extent.

The layout is quite a bit different than my Harmony Ultimate remote which does make me have to adjust when I switch between TVs. On the Harmony Ultimate, some buttons are positioned towards the top of the layout whereas the same buttons on the Harmony Home Control are towards the bottom of the remote. Not a big deal, just pointing this out in case you own both.

Although I have wifi-controlled lightbulbs and power outlets (wemo), Bluetooth locks (Kevo) and an Internet thermostat (Trane), none of my equipment works with the Harmony. I hope Logitech increases their partnerships in the future to support some of these other brands.

My biggest complaint about the Harmony Home Control is that after spending close to $150, you don't have a backlit remote. In the dark, the remote control is mostly useless because you can't see the keys and you really can't feel your way around the remote either.

Despite the lack of backlight and too-small keys, I'm overall happy with the Harmony Home Control. If it had backlit keys, I would give it 5-stars. So far it's worked perfectly.

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 Display) Clear
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 Display) Clear
Price: $34.95
12 used & new from $27.97

5.0 out of 5 stars lightweight and very sturdy, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sturdy yet lightweight case for the iPhone 6. The fit is perfect on the iPhone 6 and all of the openings for microphones, lightning cable, headphones the mute switch are perfectly positioned.

I love how this case absorbs the protruding camera lens so I don't have to feel nervous every time I set the phone down on a hard surface. There is a tiny lip around the front of the phone as well so that you can set your phone face down without the surface touching.

The rubberized contact-points are just soft enough to give a quality feel in your hand and reduce slippage.

With the case on, the phone becomes about as thick as an iPhone 4 with no case. Maybe a hair thinner. It is more than 2mm thicker than an iPhone 6 without a case and it is about 1mm thicker than an iPhone 6 with Apple's leather case. When comparing the Apple case to this case, I liked that Apple's was thinner, but I felt the Apple case would not provide much protection if you dropped your phone; the Urban Armor Gear will definitely provide great protection in case of a drop.

The backside of this case has an industrial look. I like it but it may not be for everyone. In my opinion, the look leans towards masculine.

I didn't end up using the screen protector that is included with this case. It uses adhesive to stick to the surface of the phone and I wasn't impressed with the fit. It seemed about 1mm too narrow for the screen. I didn't want this feature anyway so I didn't take away any stars. If you want a phone that provides full screen protection, you should probably look elsewhere.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with this case as protection for my new iPhone 6.

Dixie LID04PSE Liddles Portion Cups and Lid Combination, 3.75" Length x 3.375" Width x 1.687" Height, 4 oz, Translucent (Pack of 60)
Price: $17.65

4.0 out of 5 stars great for large groups, October 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Dixie Liddles are a really handy way to get a lot of quick, disposable storage. If you need to get a small portion into a lot of hands, these work well.

Because these come as-fabricated, you do have to gently break them apart into individual cups and lids. I took away one star because if I hurried this process, I noticed the lids and cups would sometimes tear, ruining them. They do come apart quite easily, but you have to be somewhat careful.

Once you snap the lid onto the container portion, the seal is tight. Water doesn't leak out and I even tried dropping one of these four feet onto a hard surface and not a drop of liquid spilled out, even after multiple drops. Even when I squeezed on the container pretty hard, no liquid came out.

The lids have an indention which makes them very easy to stack.

The plastic is really thin and I don't think there is much benefit to trying to rinse these out and using them again, so keep in mind that you really need to think of these as disposable.

The four ounce size comfortably hold a half a cup with just enough room for the lid to cinch up against the contents.

Tenergy Centura C Size Low Self-Discharge LSD NiMH Rechargeable Batteries, 1 Card 2xC
Offered by Battery Superstore
Price: $8.95
3 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars big savings, October 9, 2014
These save a lot of money compared to traditional disposable batteries. After about two recharges, these pay for themselves.

I use these for my Roomba lighthouses. These devices use a very slow discharge and a single charge lasts several months.

I can charge these in about 6 hours. So far I've saved a ton of money by using these: highly recommended.

Mega Bloks Halo Wireless Attack Mantis
Mega Bloks Halo Wireless Attack Mantis
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a lot of fun, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Mega bloks are a blatant copy-cat of legos but that doesn't make this any less fun. The major assembly (getting the torso attached to the legs and feet) takes all of 2 minutes. Once done, there are a ton of smaller parts to snap on and add a lot more detail to the bot.

The legs and feet (manually) articulate such that you can get a really stable stance and it will stand on its own.

Assembly is fun in its own right, but the main fun is using the remote control to move the torso left, right, and up and down. There are multiple sets of flashing lights and sound effects. The best part is the rocket launcher; prepare for eyes to light up the first time the rocket launcher goes into action. It's able to launch its five rockets about 3 or 4 feet.

Though rated for kids 8 and up, once you get the assembly completed, anyone over age 5 is fine to play with this and will have a total blast.

It seems well built and I don't see anything that's going to break right away. Lost parts will be the bigger concern as the rockets are tiny and will likely disappear quickly. It uses 5 AAA batteries, 2 in the remote and 3 in the toy itself. The toy has a toggle on/off switch but it also seems to go to sleep in a power saving mode if you don't use it for a few minutes. To wake it back up, you push a button on the chest. I just showed the kids to always "wake it up" by pressing the button before playing with it.

With depleted batteries, this would still be fun, but not nearly as fun.

One complaint; the batteries install in a peculiar fashion and there is no indication of how to install them on the toy. I had to consult the documentation to get it right. If you lose the documentation, you'll need to be careful to always re-install batteries the same way you took them out or you'll be stuck doing a lot of experimentation to get it operational again.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 10:39 AM PDT

PetSafe Train N Praise Dog Treat Dispenser
PetSafe Train N Praise Dog Treat Dispenser
Price: $60.99
12 used & new from $60.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good training aid, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This works really well. It's a bit loud, which scares my dog, but once the treats come out, she goes running for them!

We are using it to train our dog to "come inside" as she sometimes refuses. So far, it seems to work.

One note: you have to make the treats really small to fit in this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20