Profile for Wade Young > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wade Young "Ex Libris- Uncle Scrooge" RSS Feed (High Atop Killmotor Hill, GA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Diaries of Adam and Eve (Annotated)
The Diaries of Adam and Eve (Annotated)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 26, 2014
Twain is given much credit for his wit...and rightly so...but I find this book to be far more than just wit thought it IS clever.

Far and away the most romantic thing he ever wrote. I believe that THIS book...is his best work.

26 PC ULTIMATE SUPER SAVINGS DELUXE DB ROTH ACCESSORY KIT For The Pentax K-X SLR Digital Camera
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promises., March 3, 2011
You get exactly what it promises.

This is a GREAT starter kit for people who are looking to do some serious shooting. It's not the best quality equipment in the world, but it will get you going in the right direction.

I suspect professional photographers will scoff at some of the stuff included, but for me and my needs it was perfect.

Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore BUNDLE - Nintendo Wii
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore BUNDLE - Nintendo Wii
16 used & new from $30.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but could be better., March 3, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Overall I have enjoyed playing the game. It's been fun for my kids as well.

THE GOOD: It's alot of fun to play and make your own characters. The music for the songs are great, you can tell they put alot into the audio, which is more than I can say for some Karaoke bars I've been in.

THE BAD: The graphics are a bit off on it, Paula looks like a freakazoid. This day and age I expect good graphics from every game system, and this game for the Wii didn't deliver. And the song selection is pretty limited, it would be good if you could expand the selection like on Rock Band for the PS, but you don't seem to be able to do that here.

Overall a good product...but not great. Would love to see them do this again and do it GREAT.

John Adams
John Adams
by David G. McCullough
524 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars John and Abigail Adams, March 25, 2010
This review is from: John Adams (Paperback)
Last year, on my summer vacation I read "American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson" by Joseph Ellis. It was a biography of the "Sage of Monticello" that dissected not so much the politics or history of the man but his seemingly bipolar personality. It discussed at length how often he would say one thing and then do another as it suited his purposes. And while the book went forward at a good clip and was insightful and entertaining, the more I read the less I cared for Jefferson and the more I came to like his friend and sometimes political rival John Adams.

That's why a month ago I picked up a copy of "John Adams" by David McCullough. It is a monster biography (Over 600 pages) that covers Adams' life from cradle to grave by using personal papers and letters written by Adams, his wife Abigail, their children, friends and relatives. Through McCullough's work I found that John Adams was a giant of the revolutionary age who did so much in service of his country and was so prolific in his writings both personal and public that a couple of hundred pages could NEVER contain him.

Yet, despite the prolific nature of the man and his family, Adams is one of those figures who get glossed over in history class. Very little attention is paid to him in textbooks. They might say he was a signer of the declaration. They might say he was President for a while. But other than that, Adams is a largely forgotten figure of history for the average student. In fact, even after having grown up in his home state of Massachusetts', I knew very little about him. I am ashamed to admit that a lot of what I knew was gained in a classroom viewing of "1776: The Musical" in Miss Olsen's 8th Grade History class in Billerica, MA. (I'm not kidding.)

This book gave me an acute lesson in Adams that was fascinating. There are so many things I didn't know about the man as to be laughable. I didn't know he was the lawyer who defended the British Soldiers accused of the Boston Massacre. I didn't know it was Adams who got the funding and oversaw the building of our first Navy. I didn't know that after being an ambassador to France, he left on his own (that is without approval of congress) and went to Holland to secure much needed loans from the Dutch. I didn't know that after the war he had been minister to the court of St. James (England) even after having been marked for hanging during the revolution. There were many surprising turns of events in Adams' life that while wholly remarkable and noteworthy are nonetheless seldom studied by the average survey of American History classes.

But the real surprise in the book was his wife, Abigail Adams.

I had never thought or heard much about Abigail Adams. In a sense, I knew they were a power couple (I got that much from the musical). What I did not know was in how many ways and on how many topics Abigail was the perfect complement to John himself. In a time when women were largely overlooked by society, she carried on the business of the household while John spent his time away on the nation's business. She ran the farm, traded shrewdly and increased the Adams' holdings in Braintree/Quincy, kept up with the comings and goings of the Massachusetts legislature and the continental congress, received and relayed news of the war to John and raised 3 children with John in France. When she finally went to Europe during John's ambassadorships, her keen insights on people and steadying influence on his humor helped John accomplish great things for the fledgling United States. In fact, all through their life together she was an island of tranquility in the chaotic seas of life during the early stages of American independence.

Abigail was no less prolific a writer than John and in some ways more valuable. Throughout McCullough's book, in quotations pulled from the myriad letters used for research, it was the writings of Abigail which offered the most insight into John and the American people's states of mind. She was able to see things and express them in ways that her husband could not. An astute observer, opinionated, pioneering, well read, well mannered, steadfast, and hearty Abigail maintained relationships with her husband, siblings, parents and children for many years with a prolific outpouring of letters to all of them. And as if that weren't enough she corresponded with several of the prominent names of history including Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Rush. In short, Abigail Adams was a remarkable woman who deserves much more acknowledgement than she has received over the years.

I won't bore you further with my version of the details of the Adams' life. McCullough does a much better job than I ever could of revealing who they were. And that's part of the reason this book won the Pulitzer Prize. McCullough has an easy way with words while being thorough in detail, a combination of traits that historical writers seldom seem to have. His writing is easy going almost to the point of being conversational in tone and conveys the mood of the situation about which he is writing better than any current writer (non-fiction or fiction) that I can name.

I very much liked this book and recommend it to anyone looking to gain insight into this country's founding, one of our greatest founding fathers or just daily life in that period of history.

A World Undone
A World Undone
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $12.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 3 Voices Left, January 7, 2010
This review is from: A World Undone (Kindle Edition)
I just completed reading G.J. Meyer's book "A World Undone: The Great War 1914-1918". And I highly recommend it to anyone who would like a better understanding of World War I. It is a well written and concise but detailed narrative history of the war. The book does an excellent job of pulling together all the fronts and the political wrangling that lead to the blood spilled. Between the chapters dealing with the major battles, there are short chapters dedicated to the main characters of the war that fill you in on their background to help you better understand their decisions and the creeping madness that eventually afflicted all of them.

In a sense, the world was at war much longer than just the 4 years between 1914 and 1918. The start of World War I was the result of European conflicts deeply rooted in the areas in which the war was fought. The Balkan Wars of 1912, the Hapsburg Empire's annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina in 1908 and the Franco-Prussian wars of the 19th century all played a part in bringing about the First World War.

The people of Europe cheered as the war began. This was the time to right old wrongs, to regain territories and honor taken away through previous conflicts. No one expected the war to last very long. No one thought the slaughter would be on a scale unheard of in all of history. Every European believed that victory was imperative and were told by government propaganda machines the enemy wanted nothing less than the total destruction of their homeland and that to try for peace was to commit national suicide. As their men marched off to war excitement was high and victory expected in every country.

As for the war itself, it was madness. Millions of men, standing in fetid conditions taking the pounding punishment of artillery barrages and sniper fire day after day for four years is an unimaginable hell. We get squeamish at the thought of a few thousand killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. The soldiers of World War I faced HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS killed during every new offensive of the war. Wave after wave of men were hurled at positions so strongly defended as to be impregnable. The results were (of course) always catastrophic.

In the end, there were 9.8 million military deaths and the seeds of the next "great war" were sown as Germany surrendered without a single enemy having set foot on home soil.

Worldwide there are only 3 confirmed Veteran's of World War I left alive. Three more soldiers to go and then this war will have passed irretrievably into history's fog like all other wars before it.

I would recommend reading this book to anyone who is looking to get a grasp on this war. 5 Stars.

Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood
Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood
by Laurie Notaro
Price: $11.03
292 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Great., September 2, 2008
This was a good book. Not great...but good.

Good because the first half of the book was raw, real and witty. You could tell she put alot of effort into the writing leading up to the wedding and the wedding itself. Her self deprecation and pointed observation of the lunacy that surrounds couples and weddings in general made me laugh out loud.

Not great because after the wedding...the book sort of dies. Yes there are some laugh out loud funny moments...but not nearly as many as the first half. It's like she became tired and decided to "phone in" the last part of the book, from recycled columns or essays previously written. She could have juiced them up just a bit more and this would have been a "Great" book.

Three Stars Out Of Five.

Country Wisdom & Know-How
Country Wisdom & Know-How
by The Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Boards
Price: $13.55
141 used & new from $5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom Is In Its Pages, May 28, 2008
If you want a great book to help you simplify your life and begin to wean you and your family off the rampant consumerism of today, THIS IS IT. I actually bought it a couple of years ago, but with today's oil crunch and people trying to save money and produce more, thought it would be a good time to recommend such a book to my friends.

"Country Wisdom And Know-How" from editor's publishing covers everything from caring for animals, to building suitable gates, to caning chairs, pest proofing your garden, growing food, canning food, and cooking food. It even teaches you how to make wine! This book covers EVERYTHING you need to know to start on the road to live more off the land and your own two hands than depending on others to do everything for you.

It is an oversized paperback book, the cover seems to be made out of old grocery sacks (it has that look and feel) and may even be made of recycled material. I have used this book a good bit over the past two years and found the advice is sound, practical and easy to understand. I recommend that EVERYONE interested in getting their lifestyle simplified buy this book.

You won't regret it.

Thirteen Moons: A Novel
Thirteen Moons: A Novel
by Charles Frazier
Price: $12.50
469 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin Moons., July 19, 2007
I just finished "13 Moons" by Charles Frazier.

All in all it's an interesting read if just for the setting and secondary characters. But the book lacks any real panache of story telling except in certain passages.

It's the story of a boy named Will who grows to old manhood in the western part of North Carolina in the Cherokee inhabited country of the Blue Ridge Mountains during most of the 19th century. It's mostly bland details about life in the "Nation" and the struggles when the government began to relocate the Cherokee to Oklahoma. The details of which are horribly dull and for some reason mentioned in a kind of off-handed fashion by the main characters. As a result, the plot is not very interesting.

The really interesting writing comes as the vision of whites seen through the eyes of the Cherokee who populate the book. In particular the notions of the older Indians like "Drowned by the Bear" and others are worth reading for their interpretation of what the Cherokee (and others) must surely have thought of white Europeans. The philosophies and insights of Bear and Featherstone are worth the toil of reading a largely plot-less book. I particularly like the fact that the older Indians were all disgusted at the white's lack of perspective on what was play and what was not in regards to war. They seemed shock to find that it wasn't as much about honor or fun to whites as it had been to them during their tribal wars... "they fought to win...as if that's all that mattered".

While we're on the good parts of the book, I was proud to see a non-focus on the issue of slavery and the Civil War. I think we sometimes forget that there were other things and people that were around in 19th Century America. Both items are largely dismissed as examples of the foolishness of youth while more attention was paid to the culture as a whole at the time the story was set. They are dismissed in the offhanded way that much of the plot is, but it works for those two issues in a surprisingly good way. Andrew Jackson, Davy Crockett, John C. Calhoun and others feature far more prominently than do Lee, Davis, Lincoln or the slave trade.

I was also fascinated by the portrayal of women in this book, the Cherokee women especially. Their treatment as either property or bargaining chips, while at the same time juxtaposing their role as principal breadwinners and heads of the household in Cherokee society, was extremely well written. But ALL the women in this book were secondary characters at best. None of them were a real force, not even the principal female, Claire, who comes off as a bit of a coy harlot. If her character and the characters of the other women had been more fully developed it would have gone a long way towards making this a better book.

And that brings us back to the problem, this book tells the stories of the wrong people. It elaborates immensely on the banal characters and stories, but where there is a chance for great literature it kind of fizzles out. I didn't particularly like Will or care what happened to him. And the characters I do like are largely passers-by in Will's thin story.

Larry McMurtry's book "Horseman Pass By" was turned into a movie called "Hud". The movie focused more on the secondary character of "Hud" than on the main character of the book, and McMurtry later admitted that the producers were right to do so. I think that's what Mr. Frazier has done. He's told the wrong story or maybe told it through the wrong character. If they make a movie out of this book, I hope that the producers have enough sense to do the same here.

Three Out of Five

by David G. McCullough
Price: $11.56
659 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad Strokes, March 10, 2007
This review is from: 1776 (Paperback)
I am ashamed to say that the American Revolution has never been a period of our history that I have studied in any depth. Even after living for six years in Massachusetts, where the revolution is major tourist trade, I find that I am familiar with only portions of the revolution. In history class they taught me the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Bunker Hill, the Declaration of Independence, Washington's midnight crossing of the Delaware, and then Yorktown. The only depth I added to that knowledge came when I learned to drive in Lexington and Concord, I took a tour of Bunker Hill and then I visited some of the stops on the Liberty Trail in downtown Boston.

It was this lack of historical depth that led me to purchase and read "1776" by David McCullough.

When I was done with the book, I had a much clearer picture of the first full year of the war and a MUCH greater appreciation for what the Continentals (and Washington) went through and accomplished. I didn't know how close we came to losing it all. For ¾ of the year, Washington and his army had their rear ends kicked from New York to Pennsylvania by a better trained, better equipped and better commanded army. It took nothing short of miracles for the Continentals to achieve their few victories (Boston, Trenton, Princeton) of the year.

I admit that when I began reading and as the story progressed, I expected more detail from the book. I wanted McCullough to tell me more than he did about the battle lines, disposition, weapons and movement of the troops. When I read a military (or semi-military) history it is what I expect.

And if it wasn't to be a military history, then I would have liked to see more of what the politicians and other principals were thinking and saying. "Common Sense" and the "Declaration" should have been covered in greater detail. That level of detail is what I have come to expect from historical works.

But when it was over, I found that McCullough's ability to paint subtle details over the broad strokes his book covered is what sharpened my awareness more than anything. Reading the book was akin to looking through a camera where the subject is blurry and then adjusting the focus. Some of the larger background objects went out of focus, but the picture of Washington and his army of "rabble" became crystal clear.

I think this is why some people are disappointed with the book. They want all the background objects like the Declaration of Independence and Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" to be in focus along with Washington and the Continentals. As it stands the book talks about the effects those things had on a struggling army and revolution that was badly sputtering militarily, but little else is said about them.

But to my mind McCullough did the right thing by focusing on Washington and the army. In the long haul of history neither the "Declaration of Independence" nor "Common Sense" would have been much good had there been no Washington and his Continental Army to enforce the ideas they contained.

This book is 4 stars out of a possible 5. It was a "good to excellent" work and I recommend it to anyone who is an arm chair historian. McCullough's style was easy to read and entertaining and he even brought the British perspective somewhat to light. I would have liked to see more detail in the military side of it, but that's a personal preference. This book has encouraged me to read more of McCullough's work, I plan on starting "Mornings On Horseback" tonight.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
by Thomas E. Woods
Price: $14.53
271 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Long on Opinion, Short on History., January 10, 2007
I'll probably get alot of flak from all my friends that like to complain about the rewriting of history that has taken place of late, but I didn't really like this book.

I think the arguments in it were specious, and in many cases circular. His research seems hit or miss and based almost entirely on conjecture instead of cold hard facts.

He quotes the opinions of people extensively, which is great when trying to discover intent (as in the case of the Bill of Rights). But opinions don't really do that much good if you are refuting a claim based on facts (as in the case of say black soldiers fighting for the south during the war between the states).

I give it a two, I would have given it a three, but I was so heavily disappointed that it turned out to be a diatribe rather than an actual refutation of PC history.

Page: 1 | 2