Profile for Jason Tien > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Tien RSS Feed

ASICS Kayano Classic Low Socks, White/Mustard/Black/Orange Peel, Medium
ASICS Kayano Classic Low Socks, White/Mustard/Black/Orange Peel, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Decision Ever, January 28, 2014
I run marathons, and I understand that blisters are an occupational hazard. I've learned to live with them. The fact that these socks REDUCE the number of blisters is just amazing. Who knew that socks could be so important? Highly recommended!

Safe Memo Holder Spike Stick for Bill Receipt Note Paper Order Office Desk
Safe Memo Holder Spike Stick for Bill Receipt Note Paper Order Office Desk
Offered by Imports247 Ships From HONGKONG
Price: $4.15
7 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A shipment from HK, January 28, 2014
How can you not love this item?! It is the cheapest item on Amazon in its class and you get a cute little package 2 months later that originated from Hong Kong and traveled around the world in a giant boat to land on your doorstep. I'm a big fan.

H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2013 Win [Download]
H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2013 Win [Download]
Price: $44.99

1.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing "deluxe" about it, January 28, 2014
It's practically impossible to figure out which version of this software (or any tax software, for that matter) you need to buy before you make the purchase. The product description provides virtually no information on what this software can handle. Does this version handle schedule Ds? (Probably, since it says "investors".) How about schedule Cs? (Hard to tell since investors can get K-1s). Schedule SEs? (Probably not, since they have another version for people with businesses; but sometimes people get random 1099s anyway even if they don't run their own small business.)

Really, the goal of all these programs is to up-sell you. After you finish setting up and sit down to start your tax return, the first screen that pops up asks you to upgrade to be "better" version. I find this business model annoyingly deceptive. So please, do your research before you buy this, or you may end up like me doing most of the calculations with this software and then manually filing other forms to compensate for this program's inadequacies.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2014 7:41 PM PST

ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Ultrabook (OLD VERSION)
ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Ultrabook (OLD VERSION)
9 used & new from $550.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good laptop; but not perfect, January 6, 2012
I just got my laptop yesterday, so these are just some initial thoughts.

The good things:

First, it's biggest draw is the fact that it's light and that it performs. It's much lighter than I thought (feels lighter than a macbook air, although I know they're supposed to be the same weight). And it's much faster than I thought. I bought the slower CPU because I didn't think it was worth an extra $400 for an extra 100MHz of clock speed; and I was right. This processor actually is faster than some of my desktop computers that have chips benchmarked to go much faster than the i5 2557M. It even handles processor intensive programs like Photoshop reasonably well -- good enough to work on the road if need be. And even though I think I got the "slower" SSD, it doesn't seem to noticeably impact performance.

Second, the screen is beautiful. I wondered whether to get the smaller UX21 screen with less resolution, but the resolution on the UX31 is breathtaking.

Third, I have no problem with the keyboard. It does drop keys once in a while, but you feel it when it drops keys. And I have no problem with the touchpad. I think the multitouch might be patent infringement, but we'll let the courts decide that.

Fourth, I like the idea of their accidental damage warranty. I haven't damaged the laptop yet, so I don't know if they'll honor it, but on paper it sounds great.

With that said, it is missing a few features that would make it more convenient:

First, you can't lock the laptop with a laptop chain. Given -- I rarely bother do to that. But I'd like the option to. I mean, how hard is it to cut a small hole in the chassis for the laptop lock?

Second, the keyboard is missing keys. I don't mind the low profile of the keys or the fact that it's backlit (i touchtype, so I can find the keys as long as I feel the 'F' and 'J'), but it's missing the 'home' and 'end' keys. Which I use often. And the delete key is next to the power button; I'm constant afraid I'm going to accidently turn off the computer.

Lastly, the laptop lid (where the monitor is) needs a bit less give. If I bounce the laptop on my knees while the screen is open, the lid falls backwards. It doesn't fall very far because it can only open to a 120 degree angle or so. But there should be more friction holding the screen in place.

Other than that, I'm pleased.

Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Mattscomputers
Price: $107.99
11 used & new from $59.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very sturdy; But Warranty works, December 27, 2011
I have owned 3 sets of in-ear sound isolating ear phones over the past several years. Both my Shure and Etymotic ear phones lasted around 1 year before the line developed problems and the ear pieces went dead. In both cases, the companies honored their 2 year warranty and replaced the ear phones. Which brings me to these Klipsch ear phones. I've used them for 3 months and the right ear piece just went dead. I haven't tried to see if Klipsch will honor their warranty, but these earphones cost more than half the price of the Shure and Etymotic ear phones and lasted a quarter as long. I highly recommend paying up for earphones that will last. Because even if they honor the warranty, the 1 week wait for shipping is time you won't have anything to listen to.

Update:
It took around a week for Klipsch to ship replacement ear phones to me. This was done over the Christmas/New Year's holiday week, so possibly their normal warranty turn-around time is faster. I'm adding a star to my review because of their prompt customer service. I would also add that their warranty process is much easier than Shure or Etymotic. All they ask is that you send them a copy of your receipt via email and they'll ship out the replacements. No need to pay postage to ship your broken earphones back to them!

Brother MFC7460DN Ethernet Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier & Fax
Brother MFC7460DN Ethernet Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier & Fax
Offered by BCMicro.
Price: Click here to see our price
95 used & new from $174.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud fan, May 25, 2011
The printer works great, which is why I don't want to rate it badly. But it does have one _big_ drawback -- the fan is very loud. And it's hard to compare the loudness of the fan to other printer fans since this is the only printer that we've had in our home office, but it's significantly louder than computer and laptop fans. After it wakes up from "deep sleep", it takes a while for it to go back to sleep, so you'll have to endure the noise for a while.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 1:05 AM PDT

Regency Natural Ultra Fine 100% Cotton Cheesecloth 9sq.ft
Regency Natural Ultra Fine 100% Cotton Cheesecloth 9sq.ft
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $3.47

3.0 out of 5 stars 9 Sq Ft; 1 Sq Yd, December 1, 2010
Since the size of the cheesecloth is not in the product description, I thought I'd let everyone know that the product is actually 9Sq Ft (1 Sq Yd) Which makes it slightly more expensive than the other cheesecloths on the site.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2013 5:24 PM PDT