Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for A. Gammill > Reviews

Browse

A. Gammill's Profile

Customer Reviews: 411

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Gammill RSS Feed (Tupelo, MS United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Petticoat Junction: Family Favorite Episodes
Petticoat Junction: Family Favorite Episodes
DVD ~ Linda Henning
Price: $7.99
26 used & new from $2.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Great episodes, but a word of warning if you have the season sets, March 20, 2015
As a fan of Petticoat Junction, plus the fact that these restored episodes look and sound great, it's an automatic 4 stars from me. But for those of us who previously purchased the complete season sets, it's a double-dip. All 8 episodes included here are from seasons 1-3, which are available in their entirety. But if you don't want to invest in those (and if you're a fan, you really should, in my opinion), this is an excellent sampler. The disc presents 6 black & white and 2 color episodes, and they're all good choices. And since this is an official release, the A/V quality is much better than those bargain-bin collections that have been around for years.

Like I said, I'm a fan, and I'll support any official release. But I'll probably use this more as a way to introduce others to the show.

Day Mars Invaded Earth, The
Day Mars Invaded Earth, The
DVD ~ Kent Taylor
Price: $19.49
19 used & new from $13.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Rare, unusual sci-fi, March 19, 2015
This review is from: Day Mars Invaded Earth, The (DVD)
Here's a nice treat for classic sci-fi movie fans who think they've seen it all. Previously available in a cropped, public-domain print from Sinister Cinema, The Day Mars Invaded Earth finally makes its official widescreen debut. Like all these made-on-demand titles, all you get is the movie. No bonus features or even scene selections. Just hit "play" and enjoy.

The film itself, while not quite a classic, is a good example of story over special effects (there are virtually none to be found here). Owing its basic plot to Invasion of the Body Snatchers or, maybe slightly more to the underrated I Married a Monster from Outer Space, it's a rather talky film. But it takes itself seriously, and it doesn't wear out its welcome.

I've owned the Sinister version for several years, and I can definitely say that Fox's print, while not quite pristine, is a significant improvement. If you happen to be a fan of the film--and I am--this is certainly the only version you need. But it's more likely you're not familiar with it, so it's a minor gem to be discovered.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2015 8:14 AM PDT

Krull [Blu-ray]
Krull [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Ken Marshall
Price: $7.05
25 used & new from $2.71

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like the movie, you'll love it on Blu-ray, February 26, 2015
This review is from: Krull [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As others have already noted, the Millcreek Blu-ray is a bare bones release; all you get is the movie. But it looks fantastic in HD, so if you're a fan of the movie, you should pick it up (and at an unbeatable price as of this writing). As for the movie, I watched it many times on HBO back in the mid-80's. Yeah, it borrows heavily from other, better movies. But I still think it's a lot of fun, with fantastic effects. The outdoor scenery is often breathtaking on Blu-ray. And James Horner's score is among the best for any fantasy/sci-fi film (even though it borrows from Horner's own Star Trek II score).

Planet of the Vampires [Blu-ray]
Planet of the Vampires [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Barry Sullivan
Price: $19.98
16 used & new from $13.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but probably the best version we'll ever see, December 25, 2014
This review is mainly for fans of the movie who want to know how the Kino Blu-ray release compares to previous DVD versions. I've had the MGM Midnite Movies DVD for many years, and have watched it several times. Although I did not do a back-to-back comparison, I am familiar enough with the DVD to say that the Blu-ray transfer is only a slight improvement. The increased resolution is notable in the close-ups of the actors, but really kind of lost in the already-murky dark scenes on the planet surface. Don't get me wrong; the atmosphere of those scenes is generally quite creepy, and I wouldn't want to see TOO much and ruin the mood. But I did expect them to be a little clearer.

The best thing about this release may be the commentary track by Tim Lucas, well-known to genre fans as the publisher of "Video Watchdog." His knowledge of the film and how it was made is very impressive. After listening to his stories, one wonders that the film ever got made at all, as the production was plagued with obstacles.

There's also the short story upon which the film was based, but I have to confess I got bored rather quickly with the amateurish writing style. You also get the film's fun (but not restored at all) theatrical trailer, and a couple of too-brief interviews with Joe Dante and some other guy with whom I was not familiar. Dante comes across as a real fan of both director Mario Bava and the film itself, so it would have been nice to have maybe a "making of" featurette with Dante as the host.

If you don't already have Planet of the Vampires on DVD, the Blu-ray is definitely the way to go. And if you're a fan, you'll probably want it for the extras. I will say again that Tim Lucas' commentary is incredibly insightful, and made this worth the purchase for me. But I still think the picture quality could have been improved more, so it's 4 stars from me.

Dick Van Dyke Show: Classic Christmas
Dick Van Dyke Show: Classic Christmas
DVD ~ Dick Van Dyke
Price: $6.78
21 used & new from $2.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Dick Van Dyke, but this is a bit misleading, December 2, 2014
As a fan of The Dick Van Dyke Show who already has the complete series on DVD, I was a little puzzled when I saw there was this apparent compilation of "Classic Christmas" episodes. To the best of my knowledge, there was only one true holiday episode during the series' five-year run: The excellent "Alan Brady Presents." But I love to collect Christmas-themed shows on DVD, and it was pretty cheap, so I decided to pick it up.

And yep, I was right. There is only ONE true Christmas episode. There are, in fact, only two episodes on this DVD. The other, "Uhny Uftz," while a really good and funny episode, has nothing to do with Christmas. There is (minor spoiler) ONE mention of a toy that is supposed to say "Merry Christmas," but nothing else about the episode is holiday-themed. In fact, if you dig around the internet a bit, you'll learn that this fifth-season episode actually aired in September, 1965, so it was never intended to be viewed as a Yuletide story.

Anyway, I give it 3 stars simply because these are two admittedly very good episodes. And if you don't want to invest in complete seasons sets, and just want an hour of classic sitcom laughs, you could do much worse. Note that you can also get Dick Van Dyke Show: Halloween Episodes Collection, which doesn't have much to do with Halloween, but it does have a total of 4 somewhat spooky episodes, so it's a better deal.

Woody Woodpecker and Friends Halloween Favorites
Woody Woodpecker and Friends Halloween Favorites
DVD ~ Walter Lantz
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $7.90
27 used & new from $3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Spook it up with classic cartoon fun, September 2, 2014
For someone like me, who loves classic cartoons and just can't get enough of Halloween, this is a real treat. Although much of the material here has been previously available (in Universal's excellent Woody Woodpecker and Friends Vols. 1 & 2), there are some new-to-video cartoons here as well. Franken-stymied, Witch Crafty and Phantom of the Horse Opera, all from early 60's, were all new to me. Most fans agree that the original series was past its prime by then, but I still find the cartoons from that time lots of colorful fun.

There are also 3 cartoons, comprising a single half-hour episode, of the early 2000's revival show. While certainly not as irreverent or funny as "classic" Woody, they're still pretty good. A bonus black & white Oswald short, Wax Works (also carried over from the previously-mentioned set), may not quite fit in, but it's a wonderful and genuinely spooky short that could serve to introduce younger viewers to classic animation.

The best part of the collection is a half-hour episode of The Woody Woodpecker Show, with creator Walter Lantz as host. Although a couple of the cartoons within the program aren't Halloween-themed, the wrap-around live-action/animation segments are. And best of all, "Woody's Halloween Spook-a-nanny" cartoon is an absolute blast. I've been using it as part of my own Halloween cartoon collection for many years. The episode was is also available in one of the Universal sets (I know I sound like I keep plugging them. . .but seriously, as of this writing they are under 20 bucks each, you need to have them!).

Video and audio quality are very good, although the aforementioned 3 new 60's shorts aren't quite as sharp as the previously-available ones. There are optional English and Spanish subtitles. All in all, this is a fun addition to any Halloween gathering that includes kids and/or nostalgic adults. Enjoy!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2014 6:11 PM PDT

Monster Madness: Golden Age of the Horror Film
Monster Madness: Golden Age of the Horror Film
DVD ~ Tom Proveaux
Price: $13.99
18 used & new from $9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for beginners, but hardcore fans won't find much here, August 15, 2014
As a lifelong monster movie fan, and one who especially enjoys the early days of the art form, I was initially very excited about this release. A feature-length documentary about the classic films from the 1920's, 30's and 40's seemed to be right up my alley, although I did find myself wondering about this company (Filmlandia) about which I'd never heard. But the back cover boasted that the program won a 2012 "Rondo" award (again, not ringing any bells), so I hoped for the best.

And truthfully, "Monster Madness" isn't a bad documentary, especially for newcomers just learning about the genre's roots. But for those of us steeped in horror filmmaking lore, there really isn't much new information. Any self-respecting monster fan already has the excellent series of Universal DVD's or Blu-rays, on which one can enjoy several well-made documentaries on the individual films, or the Universal monster series as a whole. Monster Madness rightfully does spend a large amount of time on the studio, although it does acknowledge the contributions of MGM and Paramount, among others.

The main problem with the film is that the source prints for most of the movies discussed are in terrible shape. Good DVD copies of the Universal series have been available for many years, yet the clips used here could easily be 25 year old VHS tapes. It's very distracting, considering the newly-filmed interviews and such are generally of very good quality.

The film also has a sometimes annoying tendency to drift away from its namesake. Several minutes are devoted to films from other genres in the late 1930's. I could understand a few lines here and there to put the horror films into the perspectives of their times, but much of it fills like filler.

Apparently the film is part one of a series, but I'm not sure I will want to continue with it. If you know next to nothing about the classic era of monsters on film, you will learn a bit about it here. But seasons fright film vets will probably watch this one once and never pick it up again. Sadly, I think I will be among that group.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 11:17 PM PST

Time Machine, The (BD) [Blu-ray]
Time Machine, The (BD) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Matt's Media and More
Price: $16.32
14 used & new from $14.33

4.0 out of 5 stars "Gentlemen, when it comes to high definition, we are prisoners.", July 17, 2014
One of the most-treasured films from the classic era of science fiction cinema finally makes its debut on Blu-ray. For anyone who doesn't already own it, it's certainly a must-have for your video collection. But for those of us who already know and love the film, and have previously bought the DVD (and the VHS as well, for us long-time fans), the question is: Is it worth the upgrade to Blu?

The answer is. . .maybe. I buy ALL the classic sci-fi films on Blu-ray when they become available, and I already own well over 100 of them on DVD. And I would estimate I've watched The Time Machine DVD at least 10 times. And while the Blu version IS a slight improvement in terms of color and clarity, it's hardly the best upgrade I've seen. Typically, even with the limitations of its source material, many classic-era films really shine in the format when it comes to bright, outdoor scenes. So when inventor George Wells (spoilers! ha ha) lands in the sunny, tranquil world of the Eloi, I really expected the colors to pop off the screen. Sadly ,this was not the case. The picture DOES look great. . .just not quite HD great.

On the other hand, the audio is superb, probably among the best of heard for an older film. The sensitive and at times soaring soundtrack really shines through, even in some of the quieter moments. Dialogue is clear throughout, and the overall sound mix is just right.

Extras are carried over from the DVD, and include the great "Journey Back," which is a combination of documentary and scripted follow-up to the film. Rod Taylor, Alan Young and Whit Bissell briefly reprise their roles, as we learn what happened to George after he went back to the future.

Again, if you don't already have it, Blu-ray is the way to go. And if, like me, you're a huge fan of the film, you'll probably want to upgrade anyway. But for the casual fan, or anyone expecting a major improvement over the DVD, you might want to pass.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 9:53 PM PDT

Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 4, 112 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 4, 112 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Price: $30.26
9 used & new from $30.26

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've always been Pampers parents, although I've also found at least one store-brand diaper that works just fine. So even though I didn't have any prior experience with Huggies, I assumed such a well-known brand would do the job. But not in this case. The main problem with these (admittedly attractive-looking) diapers is that they tear too easily. On multiple occasions, both my wife and I accidentally ripped them apart while trying to fasten them. They also aren't absorbent enough for overnight use. My little girl woke up with wet PJ's several times while wearing these.

With so many other options out there, go ahead and pass these duds by.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 6:47 PM PDT

Cake Boss Stainless Steel Tools Collection 5-Piece Kitchen Prep Tool Set, Red
Cake Boss Stainless Steel Tools Collection 5-Piece Kitchen Prep Tool Set, Red
Price: $29.00
10 used & new from $29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but be sure to keep 'em clean, June 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After only a month or so, I've gotten plenty of use out of this nice set. The rubber handles are especially useful, and make the utensils more attractive. My only complaint--and this is largely my own fault, I admit--is that the slotted spatula seems to have a couple of rust spots already. I accidentally left it outside after flipping hamburgers. So yeah, that one's kind of on me. But if you take care of them, I imagine these will last a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20