Profile for Duane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Duane RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Memory Card Carrying Case - Suitable for SDHC and SD Cards - 8 Pages and 22 Slots - ECO-FUSED Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Included (Black)
Offered by ECO-FUSED
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Better choice than this one, January 29, 2015
I dont like this item. Find it too hard to get cards in and out. I prefer this one XIT XTMCASE 12 Piece SD/SDHC Memory Card Hard Plastic Case

Rocksmith Guitar And Bass
Rocksmith Guitar And Bass
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $48.99
14 used & new from $19.22

5.0 out of 5 stars (I CAN Get) Satisfaction... finally!, October 20, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
(Edit update: Steam is required for this game to run. If you don't already have Steam installed on your computer I recommend you INSTALL Steam FIRST. Get your account setup and working. THEN install this game.) Also, in the folder where Rocksmith installs in Steam is a PDF, RocksmithConfiguration. This goes into great detail on how to tell if the cable and everything is setup properly. Highly recommended reading. Installation does take a while.

I have taught myself many things over the decades so I know it takes time and dedication to start out slow and build skill over time. But for whatever reason I find traditional methods (buying a lesson book or DVD) of learning the guitar too boring for me.

With Rocksmith I don't feel that way. The very first song we start with is "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Stones. I was playing with a band from the get go and I feel that's important for me to maintain interest. It started me off with very simple notes too. I haven't noticed any lag or have had any problems so far.

Rocksmith also has drills called Guitarcade that are unlocked by playing the game. The first Guitarcade unlock is Ducks. Shoot ducks by playing notes. It takes something that could be potentially boring (it would be for me, lol) and makes it fun. There is also a section called Techniques. The first suggested technique is called shifting. Teaching the player how to move up and down the neck. Associated Techniques are the techniques used in the song selected. So with this you can practice the techniques specifically for that song.

If you have had lessons in the past and was bored by it or lost interest in it this could be really great for you too.

Update: The Riff Repeater, allows practicing selected sections of the songs. You can choose from three different ways to practice the section. The sections are shown as a graphic at the top of the page plus the audio is played for each section.

10/31/2012: As songs are becoming harder to play I find myself going to the Riff Repeater much more often. The thing is when you practice the song itself it plays from start to finish., no pausing. Sometimes its easy to get lost. I can use the Riff Repeater to practice the section(s) I'm having trouble with. The cool thing about the Riff Repeater is I'm still playing with the band. I also use Guitarcade and Techniques much more now too.

11/12/2012: When I first started playing Ducks, a Guitarcade game, I played the wrong notes a lot of the time. But as time has went on I have noticed Ducks telling me I'm playing the wrong note, when in fact I'm playing the right note. Its always on the twelfth fret or higher and game shows me as playing one fret higher than I actually am. So I checked my intonation with my TU-15 meter and sure enough the guitar was sharp.

One minor criticism is the interface. I don't know if it was designed this way to accommodate consoles or what, but its a little clunky. For instance, from the Main Menu / Songs. Click on the left arrow next to first album and there are three options. Events, Filter, and Sort. Now I don't know if I'd call finding them an Easter Egg but it sure wasn't readily apparent that there was anything to the left, I just happened to click it (I thought it would just wrap around and I'd go to the last song). What else is hidden I haven't found yet?

01/11/2013: I was having problems with a song that has power cords. I wasn't playing them correctly but I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. When you play something correctly it (the note or chord) lights up on the games fretboard. If you don't play it correctly it doesn't light up. At the end of the song the game recommended I go to Techniques and practice power chords. When practicing a technique it plays through and doesn't allow for pausing, just like when playing a song. So when having a problem trying to figure out whats going on it's easy to get lost. That's when I switch to my trusty Riff Repeater.

To get to the Riff Repeater its, main menu/songs. Select the song that you want to practice. Choose whether it's single note, combo, or chords and then go across to the Riff Repeater. Then choose the section of the song to practice. After that there are three choices: free speed, leveler, or accelerator. Choosing free speed will stop the song when making a mistake. This has been really great for me. It wont move on until I play the note or chord correctly. It would be very nice if in Techniques there was a free speed choice as well.

01/20/2013: A cool feature is you can adjust the Riff Repeater (Click Pause opens the adjustments menu. Click after tuning up). When selecting accelerator, for instance, you can set mastery and set speed. Set Mastery at 100% and you get all the notes, as you slide the scale back notes are removed to make song easier to play. Set Speed, 100% for songs normal speed and that can be reduced all the way down to 25% speed. So you can really customize how you want to practice the riff.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 8:48 AM PDT

Benson Mills Illusions Geometric shapes Woven Vinyl Placemats, Taupe, Set of 4
Benson Mills Illusions Geometric shapes Woven Vinyl Placemats, Taupe, Set of 4
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I dont like these, March 22, 2012
They are very nice looking. They have an almost 3D look to them. BUT, they really are a weave. I mistakenly thought the weave was a pattern in SOLID vinyl, that would have made them much easier to clean.

When you spill liquid on them the spill goes right through to the table. If you spill something thick, like mashed potatoes for instance, you cant just wipe these with a sponge (like I could do with my old mats), that just pushes the spill into the weave. Then you got to wash them under the faucet to force the food out of the weave. Thats too time consuming... I want something I can just wipe off.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2013 4:09 PM PST

Snapware 4014 22.8-Cup Jumbo Flip Top Rectangle Cereal Keeper
Snapware 4014 22.8-Cup Jumbo Flip Top Rectangle Cereal Keeper
Price: $12.02
8 used & new from $11.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Way, way, WAAAAYYYYYYY, February 7, 2012
TOO BIG. Do not disregard the word "Jumbo" in its description. Its twice as wide and taller than an average box of cereal.

If you are looking for something that holds a box or so of cereal this is a much better choice: Klip It Cereal Container I'm very pleased with the klip it container.

Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer
Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer
Offered by Grant's General Store
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful purchase, February 7, 2012
The house thermostat set on 70 degrees this thermometer reads 70 degrees. Heated oven to 400 degrees. Thermometer read 400 degrees.

This is great for proofing bread. I also use it to heat herbs in oil to make salves.

Sometimes I use the toaster-oven to bake small amounts and this thermometer works well there too.

All in all very pleased with purchase.

02/27/2013 Still working great!!!

4C Totally Light Bonus Variety Pack, Energy Rush, 18-Count Boxes (Pack of 3)
4C Totally Light Bonus Variety Pack, Energy Rush, 18-Count Boxes (Pack of 3)
Offered by The Inlet Outlet, LLC
Price: $26.76
10 used & new from $26.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I usually dont like carbinated fruit drinks..., January 20, 2012
But this stuff is pretty good. It mixes real easy. Nice caffeine boost too. My fav is the citrus.
02/27/2013 Still loving this product.

Cuddlee Blanket with Sleeves in Blue
Cuddlee Blanket with Sleeves in Blue
Offered by As Seen on TV Products
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Cuddlee, January 14, 2012
Its a lightweight blanket and its what I was looking for. Except I had a allergic reaction to this blanket. I washed it several times and I dont know what it is but I cant use it. I didn't give the blanket a low rating cause its not the blankets fault I have allergies.

Solo V2 Audible Blood Glucose Meter Kit and 50ct Test Strips
Solo V2 Audible Blood Glucose Meter Kit and 50ct Test Strips
Offered by shop4diabetics
Price: $26.99
3 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, January 14, 2012
Ive owned a few different meters over the years and this meter is by far the best.

This is my first talking meter, its a nice added feature. The meter is easy to setup and use. The lancing device seems a little flimsy when loading the lancet but does the job.

The reason for trying this meter is the test strips are so much cheaper than what I used to pay.

The Solo V2 website is nice also. Lots of information and free computer software for the meter to send data to computer. A USB cable is required.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 1:15 PM PDT

Prepworks from Progressive International GMMC-50 Microwavable Set of 4 Plates
Prepworks from Progressive International GMMC-50 Microwavable Set of 4 Plates
Price: $12.05
17 used & new from $5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good..., January 14, 2012
I had one melt in the microwave too. They are too soft. Mark too easily. Dont know whats in the plastic we shouldnt ingest.

These plates are better. Much better. Nordic Ware Microwave Everyday Dinner Plates, Set of 4, White, 10 Inch

Nordic Ware Microwave Everyday Dinner Plates, Set of 4, White, 10 Inch
Nordic Ware Microwave Everyday Dinner Plates, Set of 4, White, 10 Inch
Offered by Endless_Possibilitiez
Price: $17.69
2 used & new from $17.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Oven Safe to 400 degrees!, January 14, 2012
Thats what the label tells me anyway. Which is great, Now I can use these to warm food in the oven too.

These are made from a hard material. I hate to call them plastic, cause they really dont look like plastic.

These are what Ive been looking for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 8:00 AM PDT