Profile for H. Bradford > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Bradford "Helena" RSS Feed (Mt. Pleasant, SC United States)

Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression
Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression
by Brooke Shields
Price: $23.95
598 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information; well written, May 23, 2005
I applaude Brooke for writing this book because thousands of women suffer just as she did. They need to know they are not alone, and that they will get well with treatment.

A common misconception is postpartum depression is a "natural result" of birth. Not so! It is a deadly serious illness but is also very treatable. I lost my daughter to PPD 5 years ago and have spent my life since losing her trying to educate the public with accurate PPD facts so that others don't die unnecessarily. For the most part, Brooke's book has done a good job of giving good information.

Anyone who confuses postpartum depression with baby blues or just being a little down after childbirth is deadly wrong. And anyone who condemns a woman for symptoms over which she has no control is grossly ignorant. (...)

Helena Bradford
The Ruth Rhoden Craven Foundation for Postpartum Depression Awareness.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2012 7:32 PM PST

Beyond the Blues: A Guide to Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression
by Shoshana S. Bennett
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Blues: A Guide to Understanding and Treating Pren, May 4, 2003
This book is an absolute must for every household! Postpartum depression hits 15%-20% of all women having babies, so the likelihood of it touching someone in your family or someone you know is great.
My 33 year-old-daughter who had never suffered a day of depression in her life died 3 years ago as a result of severe PPD. Had we had access to the vital information in this book, I'm sure my daughter would still be alive. Individual chapters target PPD sufferers, their husbands/families, doctors, nurses, lactation specialists -- everyone.
What makes Beyond the Blues so totally different from any other PPD book I've read is it is actually a treatment manual. Our Foundation, The Ruth Rhoden Craven Foundation for Postpartum Depression Awareness is proud to endorse this book!
I would request that www.Amazon.com specify whether the edition being ordered is copyrited 2000 or 2003, however. The updated edition contains even more helpful information than does 2000.
Thank you Shoshana and Pec, from the bottom of my heart!...