Profile for M. McClung > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. McClung RSS Feed (Hamilton, AL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
King of Shaves Azor Advanced Cooling Menthol Shave Gel 5 oz
King of Shaves Azor Advanced Cooling Menthol Shave Gel 5 oz

3.0 out of 5 stars Lackluster, Bland, & Adequate, July 22, 2010
This is a decent shaving gel, but it lacks the menthol and cooling effect of better products such as Malin + Goetz Menthol Shave Cream (white tube) or Noxzema Menthol (light blue can) available in the UK and Europe. I really don't know why, but 95% of all shaving creams and gels that claim to be mentholated and "cooling" come nowhere close to producing a true cooling sensation.

Malin + Goetz and Noxema both leave your face feeling very cool for several minutes after the shave and after the product is rinsed off. King of Shaves could have easily produced a better product than this. It's merely adequate but nothing special.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 7:05 PM PDT

Seki Edge Blackhead Remover
Seki Edge Blackhead Remover
Offered by TB Digital
Price: $8.45
21 used & new from $4.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Ineffective, June 22, 2010
I'm embarrassed to be reviewing a product called "blackhead remover," but I feel it necessary to say that this tool does just about nothing. It came with no instructions whatsoever. You can mash and dig and gouge until your eyes cross and and your head hurts, and you will have removed little to nothing from your clogged pores or pimples.

The Search for the Codex Cardona
The Search for the Codex Cardona
by Arnold J. Bauer
Price: $20.65
25 used & new from $13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish All Academics Wrote This Well . . ., December 7, 2009
Professor Bauer's book is one of the most fascinating historical works I've read recently. When I first heard Dr. Bauer on NPR's THE STORY, I knew THE SEARCH FOR THE CODEX CARDONA would be a book I couldn't get my hands on fast enough. Finally published by Duke UP, I received my copy this week after having placed my order a couple months ago.

Reading Bauer's account makes me feel like I'm back in Dr. Ott's Latin American History course at UNA.

I recommend enthusiastically THE SEARCH FOR THE CODEX CARDONA. The book is a smart mixture of history, mystery, and the rare book trade. Additionally, it's the sole existing work on the Cardona -- a unique treatment of the subject!

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession
by Allison Hoover Bartlett
287 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Recommending This Book Left and Right . . ., October 27, 2009
Great book. I really enjoyed AHB's work here. I am especially appreciative that she taught me the word "incunabula," which I'm trying to use as often as I can now. Ms. Bartlett did a really fine job discussing the book on Bob Edwards' NPR show as well.

Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera Shaving Cream Tube
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera Shaving Cream Tube

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Perfume . . ., October 17, 2009
Much too strong a fragrance for a men's product. EJ Premium Aloe Vera Shaving Cream is supposed to contain . . . uh, aloe vera, but my skin was very dry and scorched after using this cream. A much better option is Malin+Goetz Menthol or Kiehl's White Eagle; these are comparable in price but fragrance level and cooling effect on skin are much preferable to Edwin Jagger.

Saucony Men's ProGrid Ride Running Shoe
Saucony Men's ProGrid Ride Running Shoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Cushioning for a "Well Cushioned" Shoe, May 6, 2009
I'm a bit disappointed in this shoe for running. It would make a great walking shoe, but I expected more cushioning from a shoe that cost this much. My feet and legs take a pounding in these shoes, and within a few minutes of jogging, my shins are really hurting.

I really want to like Saucony, but I'm afraid that both Asics and Nike offer a more comfortable, cushioned ride for less money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2010 5:12 PM PST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Overall, November 28, 2007
I was excited to find Alba Botanica for sale on-line. The product description sounded so good and so promising and so healthy. After purchasing and trying both the liquid gel in the tube and the foam in the bottle, I'm disappointed. The most immediate turn-off is the strange scent. I do not like the strongly perfumed scents of most shaving products available in supermarkets and Wal-Marts, so these boutique brands such as Alba Botanica usually have a much milder, more pleasing, more natural fragrance. Sadly, Alba Botanica in mint-aloe has an unpleasant medicinal scent.

The product does offer a hint of cooling effect upon application to the skin, but it's not as effective at cooling and moisturizing as some competitors. In fact, my skin felt very dried out after using both the gel cream and foam style in the pump bottle. The best I can report is that Alba Botanica has attractive, stylish packaging.

I was hoping that AB would be closer to the scent, performance, and appeal of Malin + Goetz Vitamin E & Menthol Shave or Head Slick Mentholated Shave. If you want an invigorating, icy cool shave try Malin + Goetz or Head Slick (by the Head Blade company) instead.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product !, November 28, 2007
Although expensive, M + G menthol shave cream will help you to a damned fine shave. Icy cool and minty. The best menthol shave cream anywhere is Noxzema Menthol in the light blue can, but Proctor & Gamble has made this "flavor" unavailable to the US market since 1997/98. It's only available now to the United Kingdom market and the Italian market.

So, with Noxzema Menthol effectively gone for Americans, M + G is a worthy substitute.

Plus, I should add this important note: M + G offers as close and invigorating a shave as the famous Kiehl's White Eagle cream, but M + G has one clear advantage: it rinses much easier and cleaner from the razor.

Malin + Goetz Vitamin E Shaving Cream-4 oz.
Malin + Goetz Vitamin E Shaving Cream-4 oz.
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC

by Tana French
Price: $19.13
71 used & new from $1.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, September 30, 2007
This review is from: In the Woods (Hardcover)
To quote the Caveman, "Yeah I have a reaction to this book: Uhhhhhhh, what?????" As I get older I have less patience and fondness for fiction, but that's not the reason for my negative opinion of Ms. French's novel. Rather, IN THE WOODS is just not interesting or rewarding. I wish I hadn't spent the money on the book. I have read and studied and analyzed literature for many years, but I feel no bond, no attraction, no empathy for or with Detective Ryan and the other characters.

And PLEASE . . . couldn't the characters say "Fair enough" a lot less? Every conversation contains the words "Fair enough." Maybe it's an Irish thing.

The first few pages are engaging, but it all drifts downhill after that. There are far better books -- both fiction and non-fiction -- on which to spend your time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4