Profile for A nerd girl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A nerd girl RSS Feed

Pearl Izumi Women's Select Thermal Barrier Jacket, Medium, Berry
Pearl Izumi Women's Select Thermal Barrier Jacket, Medium, Berry
Price: $65.03
8 used & new from $65.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and warm, but runs big, February 16, 2015
I really wish I had ignored all the reviews saying how small it runs, because it's actually quite huge. I'm 5'9" and 115, so normally a street size small or 4. I ordered a medium based on the reviews, but it's massive. Other than that, I love it. It's warm and cute.

The Chronicles of Fire and Ice: The Revealing (Volume 1)
The Chronicles of Fire and Ice: The Revealing (Volume 1)
by Dexx Peay
Price: $14.40
18 used & new from $11.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling read!, November 1, 2014
This book is fast paced and full of adventure and compelling, loveable characters. I can't wait for the next installment!

De'Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
De'Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
Price: $94.08
40 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the low price, January 22, 2013
I worked as a barista in various coffee shops for years and really missed making espresso beverages, so my boyfriend gave this to me for Christmas. While it is by no means a perfect substitute for industrial size/strength machines that professional baristas will be used to, it definitely gets the job done.

PROS:
-Inexpensive
-Steams milk very reliably
-Only takes about 20 minutes to heat up
-Pours steady shots every time
-Very easy to clean up
-Easy to use IF you already know how to use an espresso machine
-Lightweight machine (easily transportable)

CONS:
-Lightweight machine (You cannot rely on the weight of the machine to "push back" when you put in the portafilter, as you can on an industrial size machine. This necessitates some awkward maneuvering.)
-Instructions are vague (I would not have been entirely clear what to do had I not been a professional barista)
-Machine is very short (This means that to use the steam wand you need to position the machine on a counter corner to even have room for a milk pitcher)
-Shots are not self-timed (You have to eyeball how much of a shot you want, how diluted you want it to be, etc, as the shot will just keep running until you shut it off)
-Portafilter feels flimsy compared to a professional grade one, and the latch that is meant to hold the filter in barely works

I realize that it seems like there are a lot of "cons" for this to be getting a 5-star review, but I truly feel that, given the price and portability of this compact machine, it really does deserve 5 stars. I would expect all of those cons to go away if I were to spend thousands on an espresso machine. But since we only make lattes on the occasional lazy Sunday morning, this machine fits the bill perfectly.

It may not be able to withstand the rigors of a real coffee shop, but if you want good, solid lattes on an easy to use, inexpensive machine, this is for you.

PS -- This does NOT come with a milk pitcher or milk thermometer. So whether you are buying this for yourself or as a gift, I highly recommend purchasing these items along with this machine (they are pretty inexpensive but are absolutely necessary if you want to use this machine right out of the box).

Red Lion Neon Compression Leg Sleeves, Neon Pink, Small/Medium
Red Lion Neon Compression Leg Sleeves, Neon Pink, Small/Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sleeves, December 3, 2012
These continue to meet my expectations -- they do a good job of helping blood flow and reducing swelling when running for long periods. I highly recommend these if you are prone to occasional shin splints or swelling after long runs.

Bodyglide Anti-chafe For Her-0.8OZ
Bodyglide Anti-chafe For Her-0.8OZ
Offered by Bike A Mile
Price: $8.05
20 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff! Well worth the price!, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Bodyglide Anti-chafe For Her-0.8OZ
I cannot sing the praises of Body Glide enough. The small stick seems pretty pricy, but it is totally worth it! Cannot run without it now!

Zensah Compression Arm Sleeves,Black,Small/Medium
Zensah Compression Arm Sleeves,Black,Small/Medium
4 used & new from $29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Too big for skinny arms, November 15, 2012
As far as the material of the product itself, these sleeves are excellent. The only reason I give this 3 stars rather than 5 is because, even though I ordered S/M (the smallest size available), they are still slightly too big to serve their purpose. I am tall and skinny, and I find that after a few miles of running the repetitive arm pumping causes these to slip down. They are not so loose as to fall off entirely, but if you've got skinny arms they certainly don't work as compression sleeves.

In my experience, ideal compression sleeves should be tight enough that it is not easy or quick to take them off -- If they slip off with one hand, they're too loose. (Obviously you don't want them so tight that they cut off circulation or are uncomfortable, though!)

Beware of sizing when ordering these.

Mizuno Women's Wave Inspire 8 Running Shoe
Mizuno Women's Wave Inspire 8 Running Shoe
Offered by GameDaySoles
Price: $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stable shoe, October 23, 2012
This shoe was recommended to me for my shin splints, and within a week of wearing them, my shin splints were gone. This shoe is a stable workhorse, great for training and even for road racing. The toe box is just roomy enough for those of us with longer second toes than big toes, but the fit is also snug enough for those of us with narrow feet. I highly endorse this shoe for anyone with narrow feet and/or a history of shin splints. The price point is a little high, but in my opinon, very well worth it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mug!, June 26, 2011
I love my monogrammed tumbler -- it does just as good of a job at keeping coffee hot as most coffee mugs, plus it is cute.