Profile for ginevra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"ginevra" RSS Feed

Gun Shy [VHS]
Gun Shy [VHS]
VHS
Offered by lotsa movies
Price: $6.49
38 used & new from $0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A Surprise, July 24, 2000
This review is from: Gun Shy [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie at the video rental and, since I had never heard of it before, assumed it was a flop. Being such a great fan of Liam Neeson, I watched it anyway, and I loved it!
The story is very original, with an endearing cast of very human criminals whose facade of cold calculation is quickly demolished.
Not your typical Hollywood action comedy, but well worth watching despite, and certainly because of, that.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Signet)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Signet)
by Tennessee Williams
184 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous!, July 6, 2000
Tennessee William's absolute masterhood over the subtlety and obviousness of family interaction, the constant hurt and desperation that catches the reader in a way never equalled, is what makes this play so real, so close and so timeless.
This edition contains both the original and the Broadway version of the ending, which is very interesting, though it may be confusing for a first-time reader.

Whitney, My Love
Whitney, My Love
by Judith McNaught
194 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, bad moral, May 25, 2000
This review is from: Whitney, My Love (Paperback)
The one thing that bothers me about this truly suspenseful story about two very likeable characters, is the rape. Clayton sexually abuses Whitney. There is no justification for that, whether his Daddy didn't love him or his dog died. Of course one still wants them to end up together, and I think the situation is dealt with best when Clayton has to beg her forgiveness across the crowded church. I don't think it's right that he should be allowed to be angry about her behaviour afterwards, even if she acts strange for the next five years it's nothing compared to what he did.
I think this novel sends the wrong message about sexual behaviour, be it in the 19th or 21st century. Historical romances rarely have their protagonists acting as they would have at the time in the past, so why start with something so horrible?

Till We Meet Again
Till We Meet Again
by Judith Krantz
Price: $7.19
425 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Krantz's best, May 25, 2000
I am admittedly not a great fan of Judith Krantz's upperclass, usually eccentric and oversexed protagonists, but this novel about three women (the mother and two daughters) who, in their private way, become heroines of the World Wars, truly impressed me. Krantz weaves a very tight atmosphere around her settings, giving even the most unlikely situations cerrdibility (like one scene where a freight plane plays 'dare' with a Messerschmitt propelled fighter-and wins!)
This and other slightly unhistorical accounts are what made me subtract a star from the rating, but as far as reading pleasure goes, I could not put this book down. I started it at around ten p.m., and was still at it by five in the morning, so well had the characters and the storylines caught me.
I recommend reading this book, so long as you're not looking for a lesson in European history, but for a story and protagonists that you can feel for.

A Gift of Love : Double Exposure / Just Curious / Gabriel's Angel / Yuletide Treasure / Five Golden Rings
by Judith McNaught
253 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly dull McNaught, May 24, 2000
I didn't particularly enjoy Judith McNaught's contribution to this collection, it just couldn't get off the ground for me. I'm still giving the book four stars, mainly for Jude Deveraux' touching story, but also for Judith O'Brien, whom I had never read anything of before, but whose short story was just perfect for Christmas and very exciting.