Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Profile for bookville > Reviews

Browse

bookville's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"bookville" RSS Feed (Midland, Texas United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
306 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye Opener, February 7, 2002
Among the untold number of books published every year, a tiny percentage may be suitable for everyone, and of those only a few are must read for everyone. "Nickel And Dimed" is one of them. The Author, Barbara Ehrenreich, takes a courageous journey into a life that we all do our best to avoid. She works at low paying jobs and lives on the pay she gets from them. She learns first hand what it means to be a waitress, a maid, or a sales clerk for a retail giant. As she shares her experience with us, we catch a glimpse of a part of our society and culture that we may only be intermittently aware of at best. This is not a book about how things ought to be, but rather how things are. Ehrenreich provides answers to some perplexing questions such as why economic prosperity and labor shortage do not translate into higher wages.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Perspective, February 4, 2002
Contrary to the previews on television, The Others is not a spook flick. It is not about ghosts waiting behind closed doors ready to terrorize the characters, as well as the audience. Because of the way it was presented in those previews, it is a little disappointing emotionally as well as slow paced. However, its new perspective, which you must wait for until the very end of the film, more than makes up for this. On many subjects we assume so much and know so little. Once in a while, in the written word, or on the screen, we are faced with a new perspective that probes the deepest part of our soul. The Others is such a motion picture, the type that you cannot leave behind in the theater. While the cast's performance is excellent, it is the storyline that carries the movie. Whatever your values, beliefs or perceptions, The Others will compel you to reexamine them.

Remains of the Day [VHS]
Remains of the Day [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Joexngh
Price: $6.80
73 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Hopkins At His Best, February 3, 2002
If there is a movie that allows Anthony Hopkins's considerable skills as an actor shine, it is Remains Of The Day. His portrayal of a butler commands respect for a profession that has frequently been portrayed in a semi comical and an inconsequential manner. Butlers in Hollywood films are either shallow beings or criminals in a murder mystery: (the butler did it.) Hopkins changes that profoundly. His character, Mr. Stevens, is a professional butler who oversees others who perform service in an aristocratic mansion. He has been in the service profession all his life, walking in his father's footsteps. His professionalism is absolute. He is reserved and displays astonishing self-control, even when confronted with difficult emotional situations. When his father dies during a very important conference at the mansion, he continues serving and puts off grieving. When the woman he deeply loves informs him that she has accepted a marriage proposal by another man and will be leaving soon he remains stoic. The movie's high point is near the end when we catch a glimpse of the deepest parts of Mr. Stevens's soul. With a good storyline and superb performance by Hopkins, Emma Thompson and others, Remains Of The Day is a must see.

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade w/ Encryption Coded Software [Old Version]
Offered by Digiconcepts
Price: $27.00
11 used & new from $14.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice For Home And Office, February 3, 2002
Of all the Microsoft operating systems that I have worked with, both personally and professionally, I like Windows 2000 Professional best. It is robust and very stable. I cannot recall ever seeing the Blue Screen of Death while working on Windows 2000. If a program locks up, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del you can exit the program without it locking up Windows, thus requiring a reboot. As a matter of fact, you can make many changes without having to reboot. Experienced Windows users recall how the Network Neighborhood, for instance, was nicknamed the reboot key since any changes made to it required restarting the system. Not so with this operating system. Windows 2000 also includes an impressive number of drivers for different peripherals so in many cases, no trips to a manufacturer's website for device drivers are necessary. An added bonus is the extensive online help section that minimizes the need to purchase ... reference books. I have come across many users who were hesitant about upgrading to Windows 2000 but afterward they loved it and none wished to go back to the previous Windows version. Personally, I prefer Windows 2000 to Windows XP, which to me seems cartoonish. While XP can be confusing to a user because of its new appearance and default options, Windows 2000 is straightforward. It is a major improvement over Windows 9X and Windows NT 4.0. I highly recommend it both for home and office use.

Brita Water Filter Pitcher Advanced Replacement Filters, 3 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Price: $13.38
115 used & new from $7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 Cents Per Gallon, February 3, 2002
I have been using Brita filters for over six years now and I have nothing but the best to say about them. Living in a part of the country where the tap water contains impurities resulting in poor taste, at first I resorted to bottled water. Besides being hard on the old wallet, I found that some brands had a burnt aftertaste to them. So I tried Brita. I was amazed at how it improved the taste of ordinary tap water. It tasted better than some bottled water I had been purchasing and it was crystal clear. I have been using Brita ever since. The only drawback initially is the cost of the pitcher, but once you have it the only other cost are the filters that are readily available at most stores. Each filter lasts about 40 gallons, which translates into getting bottled water quality for seventeen cents per gallon.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 10:16 PM PDT

Panasonic PV-C1341 13-Inch TV/VCR Combo , Black
Panasonic PV-C1341 13-Inch TV/VCR Combo , Black

3.0 out of 5 stars No TV/VCR Combinations For Me!, February 3, 2002
I have always been a believer in Panasonic products, but I am rather disappointed in this one. Not too long after the warranty ran out (of course!) I started having problems with the VCR. It did not want to play Long Play or Extended Long Play tapes. You would hear a continuous clicking sound and the picture would jump between the tape and the blue screen. At first I thought the tapes were causing the problem, but they played fine in several other VCRs. I decided to check the VCR for any visible causes. What a nightmare! The VCR is directly under the picture tube and considerable disconnecting and removal steps were necessary just to be able to get the VCR out for an examination. Then the entire procedure had to be repeated in reverse before its operation could be checked. If Panasonic had designed this unit so the VCR was placed above the picture tube, as was the case with their previous 20" model, the procedure would have been greatly simplified. After several unsuccessful attempts at repair, I finally gave up and rented a VCR so I could rerecord my tapes in Standard Play just to be able to use my VCR. The important lesson for me is never to purchase a TV/VCR combination again! Keeping them separate makes life a lot easier.

Sony SPP-A945 900 MHz Cordless Phone with Digital Answering Machine
Sony SPP-A945 900 MHz Cordless Phone with Digital Answering Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Would Look For Something Else Next Time, February 3, 2002
I have owned this phone for a little over a year. My experience has been rather mixed. The batteries are still working fine and phone conversation voice quality is clear. The large lit on/off switch makes it easy to know if the answering machine is on. It does have a handset locator button along with those for volume control, time/date, menu, erase message, and recording memo. However, it could have been more user friendly. To turn off the ringer in the base unit as well as the handset, you have to go thru the programming menu, where a switch would be have been far better. So you'd better not lose your user's manual. As far as the three voice message boxes, to me this is a redundant feature of little use. An important disadvantage is that incoming messages are sometimes garbled and hard to understand. The microphone used to record the outgoing message also distorts your voice so you tend to sound like a person on a little bit of laughing gas. The only solution for me was to speak with a much deeper voice to compensate. This makes me sound like a spy disguising his voice, but it is less distracting to a caller. Based on its performance, this product is overpriced. If I ever need to replace it, I would not get another one.

Sony IT-B3 Corded Phone with Speed Dial (Black)
Sony IT-B3 Corded Phone with Speed Dial (Black)
Offered by King's Collectibles
Price: $39.95
18 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, February 3, 2002
I have owned this phone for over two years and I have been very pleased. Voice quality is excellent; it is light and can be used either on desktop or mounted on the wall. The ringer switch allows the user to set the ringer to off, low or high. Another switch allows easy changes between touch tone and rotary dialing. Other features include last number redial button as well the ability to program 10 speed dial numbers. The price is also very reasonable. I would not hesitate to purchase this item again.

Samsung 15" 550S SyncMaster Monitor
Samsung 15" 550S SyncMaster Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly And Reliable, February 3, 2002
I have owned a Samtron 55V, which is identical to this model, for over two years. The selling point for me was that this monitor has an individual button for adjustment of contrast, brightness, vertical and horizontal size or position. Thus it can be adjusted very easily and quickly. Because of its user friendliness and reliability, I would not hesitate to buy this item again.

Norelco 6885XL Deluxe Quadra Action Cord/Cordless Rechargeable Men's Shaver
Norelco 6885XL Deluxe Quadra Action Cord/Cordless Rechargeable Men's Shaver

1.0 out of 5 stars Different Models, Same Experience, February 3, 2002
Over the years I have purchased different models of Norelco, hoping the newer models give better performance and closer shaves. Not anymore. I have experienced the same thing over and over. The shaves are not close enough. With a regular razor, I can shave before going to bed and by 5 pm the next day my face looks more recently shaved than if I had used a Norelco that same morning! The fact that these Norelco shavers don't shave as close as a razor means that you have to go over the same spot over and over resulting in razor burns. I think this is the reason that Norelco has come up with different rotating heads such as Double Action, Micro Action, Reflex Action and now Quadra Action. Another thing that makes these Quadra Action shavers less appealing is the fact that replacement heads cost a whopping 33% more than the previous models. If you have never used a Norelco shaver before, I would recommend a less expensive model so in case you experience the same thing I have, you will have wasted less money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2009 8:42 AM PST