Profile for Aiken > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aiken RSS Feed (Woodinville, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Cosco 11120RED1 Retro Chair/Step Stool, Red
Cosco 11120RED1 Retro Chair/Step Stool, Red
Offered by Cymax
Price: $60.19
25 used & new from $55.58

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so quality, but it looks okay and works fine, February 8, 2014
I put one of these together for its recipient on Christmas day, so I got to see the construction up-close. I would not say that fit-and-finish were a priority of the manufacturer. Not everything lined up well, there were some significant gaps, and the frame was a bit warped and needed some strong-arming. I also think some of the parts, like the plastic slide for the steps to move in and out on, will definitely not hold up over time. There were a couple of places where I was screwing metal and plastic together and thinking, "This is not gonna last." Plastic degrades, it's a simple fact of life.

Still, it works fine as a chair, and, if you don't examine it *too* closely, it's actually got an attractive retro look to it. The only thing I'm genuinely disappointed by is the hardness of the seat. There's no real padding, just a leather(ish?) cover on a solid seat. It just seems like a dumb place to have cut a corner. Even a small amount of bargain-bin foam would have made a big difference. Oh, well, it was cheap to buy; I guess I can't expect that it was anything but cheap to manufacture. It is what it is.

Fingerless knit Gloves - Comes in several colors!
Fingerless knit Gloves - Comes in several colors!
Price: $8.74 - $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, February 8, 2014
I got the rainbow pair and gray stripe pair. They are exactly as pictured. Realistically, these should probably get closer to four stars, since the quality of the weave is so-so, kind of like cheap socks really. Thing is, you can see that in the photos and, as I said in the title, I think I got exactly what I expected, so I'm giving it the full five stars.

Visually, I'm quite happy. The colors are true to the pictures and the rainbow is vibrant. They're quite cute, in my opinion.

Fit-wise, they are interchangeable left/right and stretchy enough that that's totally fine. They're reasonably comfy in spite of being pure acrylic, and, I guess *because* they're acrylic, they're pretty warm. Perfect for sitting under a ice-breathing air vent at work, mutter, but still allowing me to type easily. They *are* a bit snug, even on my pipe-cleaner arms, so I would *not* recommend them for an average-sized or larger guy or for a girl who tends towards larger bracelet sizes.

Trudeau Set of 8 Silicone Multi-Use Tie Wraps
Trudeau Set of 8 Silicone Multi-Use Tie Wraps
Price: $8.10
15 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Even makes a decent ponytail tie-off., August 4, 2013
I received some of these as a gift. One night, when my hair was driving me nuts, I had one close at hand and used it tie my hair back. It's nice and grippy and stays tight for hours, but it's easy to release when you're done with it. Surprisingly useful, though not exactly a stylin' hair accessory. :)

Oh, and it's good for tying bags and cables and stuff, if you're into that kind of thing.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooo, I like 'em!, May 11, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been using these on my PS3 controller for about a month. I've previously tried about a dozen different gel/rubber caps, since I hate the convex shape of the PS3 analog sticks. The concave tops on these are excellent for keeping fingers in place during frenzied gameplay, especially if your fingers get a bit slippery from perspiration.

One thing I do suggest: If the four little "directional" pips on each cap make it feel a little too high, the pips are *very* easy to remove with an x-acto knife or razor blade. I did this and, for me, this made them utterly *perfect*. I'm ordering more for my other controllers.

Update: Still loving these. I ordered four more pairs for my various other controllers. I even put one on my Logitech G13 keypad, where I had previously swapped out the 'hat' stick for a proper thumbstick. That turned out great. Still two happy thumbs up for these things. :)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kinect Sensor TV Mounting Clip - Xbox 360
Kinect Sensor TV Mounting Clip - Xbox 360
Price: $6.99
10 used & new from $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars RESOLVED: Sent a knock-off, October 13, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Edit: the commentary below was to warn people about a knockoff that was being sold through this page by an Amazon reseller. However, that product has now been moved to its own page with an accurate description, and as such I am amending my rating to reflect what I think of the real item, which does exactly what it should do and I quite approve of it.

(I'm leaving the original text below as it might be helpful to anyone who got one of the knockoffs before they were given their own page.)

--- original text ---
Be careful buying this from the Amazon sub-store called InSassy. They sent me a cheap, no-name knockoff. It's a "Sensor Mounting Clip", licensed for "Ki-Nect for X-360", which is definitely not the text a real licensee would put on their package. It is not the PDP-branded item they advertised it to be (it was/is listed as "by PDP").
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2011 1:02 PM PST

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episode IV: A New Hope / Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back / Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
11 used & new from $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Some wisdom for George & Co., January 16, 2011
First:

I heart Star Wars. I think I've bought every previously-available edition.

Second, and in terms that I think you will grasp:

If this release doesn't include an excellent and pure remaster of unaltered original film footage, I think you're going to find that one of the numerous people who have re-cut the previous releases to make them more accurate and palatable will also rip these BDs and do the same. Then, as so often happens, they will probably share the results with the world, free of charge. Then, the people who can't stand what you've unilaterally done to their childhood memories will go and download those results, because it's the only way to get a high-quality transfer of what they *really* want. In the process, they will put zero nickels in your pocket.

On the other hand, if you release BDs that either contain just the original material, or contain it as an additional disc, I think you'll find that most traditionalists will go against their better judgment and actually give you even more of their hard-earned money, just for the sake of having legitimate hardcopies. (As an aside: see Bartholomew Boge's review for excellent suggestions regarding the specifics of re-mastering.)

It's your call, George... it's not rocket science... do you want more of my money, or not?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2011 5:00 AM PST

Top Gear 10: The Complete Season 10
Top Gear 10: The Complete Season 10
DVD ~ Jeremy Clarkson
Price: $23.99
11 used & new from $19.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible DVD set of the world's best TV show, May 28, 2009
I'm not even going to bother extolling Top Gear's virtues. It's the best show on the air. Go watch it. However...

This DVD set is terrible.

First thing to notice is that the packaging is cheap, flimsy, and extremely minimal. The retention clips in mine were already broken in two places. Two of the DVDs overlap, like shingles, and scratches are inevitable. There is no insert, other than a BBC survey about the discs, which you might want to keep and use, though I suspect no one actually reads those things.

Second thing to notice is the quality of the video. It's oversharpened, probably to try to cover up the blurriness. The blurriness is probably because the widescreen video appears merely to have been zoomed up from the central portion of the letterboxed BBC America/Canada airings. You end up with blurry, sharpened, aliased mud. It's almost painful to see on anything other than a 23" tube TV.

Third thing to notice is that, content-wise, these are apparently nothing more than the BBC America/Canada airings. Language is bleeped and the shows are cut down to make room for commercials. I could have made these discs, nearly verbatim, for pennies, by archiving the identical recordings off of my TiVo.

There's more fiddly stuff, but isn't that enough already? Unless you need an archive of what's already been on the air, pretty much as-is, for $32+tax, don't bother.

Do a better job next time, BBC. I won't buy another set if you don't. I'd even go so far as to say you should recall these discs and (re)do them properly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2009 5:08 AM PDT

Remembering the Kana: The Hiragana / The Katakana
Remembering the Kana: The Hiragana / The Katakana
by James W. Heisig
24 used & new from $13.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible mnemonics for the most part, not sure how this works so well for some people, January 3, 2007
First, let me say I had already memorized almost all of the hiragana by rote before I finally found this book, so I have a frame of reference for both rote memorization and the author's method.

I found the mnemonic devices in this book to be idiotically confusing most of the time. I gave it two stars only because a handful of the idiotic mnemonics led me to simpler ones that I could actually use for the characters I had difficulty with. Only a couple were directly usable.

For instance, to remember "ni", the author has you go through a long, complicated story about capes and interlocking combs and knees. Me, I just looked at the character and it looked like you're looking down at a seated person and their knees are sticking out. Isn't that simpler?

Really, it would be less effort simply to learn the alphabet by rote, and then you'd know it in the correct order as well. I found the ditty for remembering the alphabet order to be a handy crutch, but learning by rote teaches it just as well. I can write the hiragana alphabet table by memory fairly quickly. I doubt anyone who learns hiragana from this book can say the same.

My opinion is: Use this book if you absolutely cannot learn by rote, but otherwise, you're far better off downloading one of the sets of free kana flash cards found on the web and learning by rote. It's cheaper and it's better for you.

Haibane-Renmei: Complete Vols. 1-4
Haibane-Renmei: Complete Vols. 1-4
DVD ~ Tomokazu Tokoro
3 used & new from $69.94

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is my favorite anime series, November 16, 2006
I detest spoilers in reviews, and it's difficult to tell someone why this series is so wonderful without offering spoilers or, at the very least, remarks that might color someone's own interpretation of the series.

As someone else mentioned, if you like giant magic pan-dimensional robots blowing each other to bits, this won't be your cup of tea. Or, perhaps, it won't be your cup of tea if you don't like virtually the opposite of that genre. While it's not at all what we'd normally label as a "chick flick," this is still not something a male viewer will be able to fully enjoy unless he's really open to his own emotions, because the emotional nature of this piece is probably its defining feature. Sorry, guys, I know it goes against The Training, but if you're able to get past that, a master work like this will make it worth the effort. If you can't get past that, this will be lost on you, and that's a genuine shame.

I really don't want to say more about the actual content. If you do watch this series through to the end, you should then take note of the interview with the creators. It's quite fascinating and adds something to the experience. They don't necessarily add anything to the story itself, but they explain some of their goals and why certain things were done certain ways, which really puts a nice finish on the whole thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2007 9:13 AM PST

Ren & Stimpy - The Lost Episodes
Ren & Stimpy - The Lost Episodes
DVD ~ John Kricfalusi
Price: $18.67
13 used & new from $13.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Disappointing, November 6, 2006
While there are a few worthwhile moments on these discs (mostly in Ren Seeks Help), in general they're uninspired and tedious. The writing is bland and shallow and focuses too much on being able to do the stuff they weren't allowed to do before. It's great to be uncensored and unfettered, but when all you do is take advantage of the opportunity, it's easy to forget to deliver actual entertainment, too. There's also a tendency to draw things out much longer than necessary, almost like the artists wanted to show off their work, dwelling on certain shots and motions for inexplicably long periods. I would get bored in the middle of scenes, waiting for them to get to the (inevitable and obvious) punchlines.

Other than John's voicing of Ren, and Ralph Bakshi's cameo, the voice acting is uneven and monotonous. The animation lipsync is pretty erratic as well, sometimes bang on, sometimes boggling bad, like they changed the joke afterwards and didn't feel like re-animating.

Remarkably, the reason why I give this two stars (instead of the minimum of one) is the extra material with John talking about the show and various bits of animation industry trivia. He's actually quite entertaining and made it worth the bother to have watched these discs. Frankly, I'd rather have spent the whole time listening to him than watching the lost episodes.

Really, other than Ren Seeks Help, these episodes are some pretty weak tea, and that's being kind. I boggle at some of the 5-star reviews and look at them suspiciously. I have a very hard time believing that anyone who doesn't work for the publisher would give these discs the best possible grade. Sorry, I find that unlikely. I think somebody's stuffing the ballot box.

Page: 1 | 2