Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback DOTD
Profile for Andrew Pollack > Reviews

Browse

Andrew Pollack's Profile

Customer Reviews: 89

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew Pollack RSS Feed (Cumberland, Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Price: $179.99
62 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor for working that I've ever owned., April 13, 2016
I purchased one of these a few months ago and loved it so much I bought another one. I have a two monitor workstation and I had what I thought was a really nice Samsung monitor and an LG that didn't work well. I replaced the LG with this model and it was so superior to both existing monitors that it immediately became the primary. After a couple of months I just couldn't stand how poor the second monitor looked in comparison, so I ordered another of these.

The image is as crisp as any I've ever seen, and the the colors right out of the box were nearly perfect. I'm picky so I did the Windows 10 monitor fine tuning and it make a very very small change (reducing the red by about 2%).

It's also the first monitor I've used that I didn't need to adjust the brightness to its maximum. The default was just fine.

The fact that the bezel (the area around the screen) is so small means that even with such a large monitor, it hides less of what's behind it (the rest of my office) and is easier to see over. The flat stand it sits on takes up little room on the desk but provides a good firm hold. The monitor doesn't shake when I type.

They tell me that hardcore action gamers will find the refresh rate a bit slow. I don't care about that at all. I write code and documents, watch some video, and can't see any issues.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the product.

Lenovo IBM ThinkPad T400 T410 T420 T430 90W Replacement AC Adapter
Lenovo IBM ThinkPad T400 T410 T420 T430 90W Replacement AC Adapter
Offered by PC-mart
Price: $18.95
27 used & new from $13.31

5.0 out of 5 stars As ordered, worked great, appears to be the right thing., April 13, 2016
Exactly what we needed. Well priced. Worked great. Appears to be brand new as listed.

Adoric Earphones/Earbuds/Headphones with Stereo Mic & Remote Control Plus 3FT Nylon Braided iPhone Charging Cable for iPhone 6/6Plus/6S,iPhone 5s/5c/5,iPad /iPod and more(Silver)
Offered by Adoric
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be well made, maybe not perfect, April 1, 2016
I'm comparing three sub $10 earbuds, so my standards aren't super high here. These came in a small box, and when I opened them the silicon cover choices they give you immediately fell out on the floor as they were just put in there with the wiring -- so, packaging wise, these were the least impressive.

Sound wise, these were the best of the sub $10 ones I tried. Not a high bar, but still, they did sound pretty good.

Durability - no idea yet. Just got them. If you want to know, and it's been a month or more since I wrote this, ask me in a comment and I'll reply as to whether or not they still work.

My only complaints so far:

1. It's nearly impossible for my eyes to pick out the little engraved "L" or "R" to indicate which is which.

2. This is an unusual one -- I was looking for the smallest possible model as far as how much sticks out of your ears. I listen to audio books sometimes at night as I fall asleep, and these jut out too far to be comfortable for that. Most do, but the other two sets I found were smaller or better shaped for this.

PWOW® ErgoFit In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Earphones, BLACK, Ultra Clear Treble, Moving-coil, Multipurpose Remote, Hands-free Speakerphone, Volume Control, Siri, For Android& IOS, E128
Offered by Pwow
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good purchase for the money, April 1, 2016
Of the three pair of cheap (all $11 or less) earbuds I purchased to compare and use, these were my favorite initially. I haven't had them long so I can't tell you about how durable they are yet. If you want to know, and it's been a month since I posted this, leave a comment and I'll reply and tell you if they still work.

1. Packaging was professional quality
2. The sizes of the silicon covers were useful and well chosen.
3. The unusual shape of the on-ear "can" part, is excellent because it doesn't stick out of ear much at all. I can put these on and take a nap with my head on the pillow and not be jamming my ear painfully.
4. Sound quality is "good enough". Look, if you're an audiophile and spends money on vinyl albums and hundred dollar needles these are not going to impress you. They're just cheap earbuds, but they do the job reasonably well.

Earbuds In-Ear Headphones Metal Sound Cell Phone Headset Earphones with Mic & Stereo Bass for iPhone 6S Plus 6 5S, iPod, iPad, Samsung S6 Note 5, HTC, LG G4 G3, Android Smartphones, MP3 Players (Grey)
Offered by Pobon
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good for the money, April 1, 2016
Before you read these reviews, you should consider that the vendor sent me an email immediately after purchase that very strongly requested nothing less than a five star review. I generally don't do 5 stars unless something exceeds expectations -- but more important, I don't like being asked for things like that. It makes me question the validated of the rest of the reviews I see.

I purchased these and two other cheap ($10 or less) earbuds to compare and to have around, replacing old broken ones. These are "OK".

Build Quality -- I can't tell in one test. If you want to know and you see this review, post a comment reminding me to re-visit and tell you in a month or so if they still work.

The Good:
Nicely packaged
Company email offering to help if there are any problems
Very small earbud "cans" (so if you want to nap with them, they won't jam in your ears)

The less good:
1. I couldn't tell any difference between the medium silicon covers and the larger ones in the package. They're not quite big enough for me. Not a big deal, and I can use them, but compared to others in this price range, not quite as good.

2. The sound is a bit tinny. I'm comparing these only to other sub $10 earbuds, so the standard here isn't high. These just come out very heavy in the med-range and very light on the bass.

Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier, 9-Gallon
Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier, 9-Gallon
Price: $80.99
30 used & new from $62.77

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well, but can be difficult to keep clean., February 9, 2016
This is my second purchase of this (or a very similar) model over the years. It is one of a very few fairly good models with large enough capacity to handle a large part of the house in a cold climate where the heat is on all winter. While it's OUTPUT is up to 9 gallons per day, it's CAPACITY is 4.5 gallons. The water jug holds less than half that, so if it's completely empty you'll have to fill it a few times before it's really up to full capacity. Once you've started, if you run it continuously on high, you'll fill the jug several times a day, but most people will not need that. My experience is that you'll fill the jug twice a day.

One change from the previous model is that the water container is not visible without lifting it out. The reason for this, I believe, is that it keeps the water away from sunlight and thus reduces algae growth. Another change is that you don't have to unscrew the tight fitting bucket to fill. Just press a level in the bottom handle that allows water in. You only would unscrew the big cap to clean the water jug.

Pros:

Large enough capacity to run all day if need be

Not terribly load if run at the "low" fan setting

The front facing "waterfall" lets you see that water is flowing

Lasko seems to have good customer service and if you call them you can get most parts for it fairly quickly. Their web site only has a few common parts, but calling customer service works and you can get what you need. (I broke a little plastic pump cover cleaning it out and it only cost about $3 to replace).

Cons:

It can be hard to fully clean. The bucket and most parts are easily cleaned, but there are places in the plastic centrifugal pump and in the plastic tubes that carry water to the top of the pad which are not really user-accessible. It can be done if you're careful and handy, but it's not as easily cleaned as it should be.

I spoke to Lasko customer service when ordering a part (they do have parts quickly available in the US -- only some of which are on their website) and was surprised to learn the DO NOT RECOMMEND any add-in products to reduce algae or bacteria. these tend to foam and cause more problems than they solve. Given this, I would prefer they get rid of the clear window showing water flow and just use a float sensor and light to tell you if it's empty. The less sunlight that can get to the water, the less likely there will be algae growth.

This model does not shut off when empty. That won't hurt this kind of pump, but running dry is bad for the pad.

There is no indicator light when it's low or empty of water. If you don't see water flowing in the window, it's out.

Pads (wicks) are expensive for these kinds of humidifiers. I don't know why. Price them before you buy the product. I tend to use about one a month and change it when I clean the unit.

Vbiger Windproof Winter Warm Knitted Christmas Beanie Hat Cap (Green)
Vbiger Windproof Winter Warm Knitted Christmas Beanie Hat Cap (Green)
Offered by YoungKer
Price: $22.12

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok. Pretty much what it looks like. Not particularly well or poorly made. About average., December 27, 2015
My daughter loved it. It's not terribly sturdy, but it will do the job

Enfain Hand Wrist Strap Lanyard for USB Flash Drive, 10 Pack (10 Colors)
Enfain Hand Wrist Strap Lanyard for USB Flash Drive, 10 Pack (10 Colors)
Offered by EnfainDirect
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just what it looks like. Good quality, shipped on time and well packaged., December 27, 2015
Not much to say here. They are what they are. They seem to be excellent quality, and it's cool that they come on a little ring so they don't get lost or tangled. This just isn't a product that needs a long review.

Foscam FI9821P Plug & Play Megapixel 1.0 Megapixel 1280 x 720 Wireless/Wired Pan/Tilt IP Camera with IR-Cut (Black)
Offered by 123Install
Price: $69.99
48 used & new from $55.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome when it works, a pain in the a$$ when it doesn't., December 10, 2015
So, when this thing works smoothly, it does exactly everything you want. Great resolution, good control, and automatic connectivity. It can send you pictures and videos to an FTP server on a regular basis. It can wake up when there is noise or movement detected and start recording. It's really quite clever. When the configuration works for. HOWEVER, there are some real gotchas. These all have to do with the networking.

When it works: On most networks, no need to mess with your firewall. Configure it, and it uses a trick similar to what skype does to allow NAT Firewall (which is what most home routers are) traversal. Once you've got it set up, you can access it from anywhere.

Where it falls down:

1. The wifi network stack is weak. If the wifi drops and comes back, it seems to have a hard time getting reconnected. It also has a hard time seeing some wifi networks. I think this is related either to the use of the 5ghz band or else unusual wireless channels. Most users don't even know what that means though, so it's a pain. PRO TIP: When I was trying to get it on a particular network and it wouldn't show up in the scan at all, I just typed in the SSID and password anyway and it connected perfectly.

2. After changing any wifi settings you have to reboot it before they take effect.

3. You can not have more than one configured wifi network. You can't pre-configure it for two different places. You have to save the new wifi configuration and restart and if you get it wrong, you're not going to be able to connect to it unless you use an ethernet cable to the router.

4. The unit's peer-to-peer registry, which is done by connecting back to the mother ship (at foscam) is brilliant, but not instant. If you move it or it changes external network addresses, it can take a fair bit of time for that to update through so that your client software on various devices can find it. That makes troubleshooting tricky.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2015 9:10 PM PST

[Apple MFi certified] 2 Pack Avantree Micro USB to 8 Pin Lightning Adapter Converter for iPhone 5 6 6s plus iPad iPod, Compatible with Apple iOS all versions
Offered by Avantree_Direct
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed., November 16, 2015
These are very useful. I keep one in my briefcase for those times when I've left without a the right kind of cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9