Profile for Andrew Pollack > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew Pollack RSS Feed (Cumberland, Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung L710)** NOW WITH NFC ** [Bulk Packaging]
Offered by Hyperion Electronics Accessories
Price: $22.99
3 used & new from $18.39

5.0 out of 5 stars After 1 year, very pleased., August 15, 2014
Updated 8/18/2014 -- A year of removing and re-closing the thin plastic back cover left hairline cracks in it at one corner and it stopped staying snapped in. I contacted Hyperion and they're sending me a replacement at no cost. I'll be a bit more careful with how I snap on and off the cover in the future. I'd imagine most people don't swap this kind of batter very often. I have nothing but good things to say about this product or this company.
------------

1 Year Review -- I purchased this in July 2013 and have used it as my primary battery since. It has been 100% reliable, and lasts about twice as long as the original batteries in the S3. Unlike the even larger batteries out there (like the 7200mAh) this one doesn't really add much to the way the phone feels in your pocket. It's a little heavier, and about a 50% wider so it's definitely noticeable but it's not bad. I also have the larger 7200mAh that I just puchased for those times I want to go a few days at a time without charging, but that setup is much heavier and twice as thick.

I listen to audio books via bluetooth headset all day when I'm working on the yard, and I very rarely get to a point where I need to swap batteries or charge before the end of a day -- and that's with the bluetooth and wifi going all day.

Anker® 7200mAh Extended Battery Combo for Samsung Galaxy S3, I9300, I9305 LTE, AT&T I747, Verizon I535, T-Mobile T999, Sprint L710, U.S. Cellular R530 - TPU back cover included [18-Month Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $63.99

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to install, August 15, 2014
Pros: Quality construction, easy to install, 3.4 times the battery of original.
Cons: Phone is twice the weight and more than twice the thickness.

It's a very noticeable size and weight difference in your pocket, but since I have a pretty big hand, It's fine for me. If you keep your phone in your front pocket, you may want to opt for just having a couple of regular size spare batteries or maybe the Hyperion 4200mAh version as that's a nice half way point and also works well.

Tip: If you use this with a standard USB charger it's going to take a really long time to charge. On the other hand, if you get something like the great Anker® 40W 5-Port USB charger, it will provide enough power to charge this battery relatively quickly.

GrandStream HT503 1-FXS/1-FXO Port Analog Telephone
GrandStream HT503 1-FXS/1-FXO Port Analog Telephone
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $48.81
40 used & new from $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Grandstream's firmware is terrible, the unit hangs once in a while leaving ..., July 11, 2014
Grandstream's firmware is terrible, the unit hangs once in a while leaving the phone lines disconnected. I'm using it for both FXO and FXS to intercept calls on the telco lines coming into the house, routing them through the asterisk server, and passing them on to the phone lines only if the call passes some criteria so I know it isn't a robocall. The system works, but outbound calling with the unit is limited in reliability to the extent that I'm just routing all outbound calls over voip for now.

Ep.#11 - "Born of the Ashes" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#11 - "Born of the Ashes" (The Frontiers Saga)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ryk Brown continues to impress with this very action packed ..., July 11, 2014
Ryk Brown continues to impress with this very action packed addition to the saga. We learn more about the Gatazhak (or however he spelled that) warriors in this one, but mostly this is about space battles against an enemy that is developing strategies to counter the jump drive. I read this one as quickly as I could and await the next in the series anxiously.

Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Nexus and More (White)
Price: $25.99
29 used & new from $22.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Exactly what I wanted, April 27, 2014
It charges all my toys quickly, comes well packaged and with all the needed parts, operates silently (without the hum or buzz I've seen on some cheap chargers) and generally serves my need quite well.

Operation Shield: A Cassandra Kresnov Novel
Operation Shield: A Cassandra Kresnov Novel
Price: $9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- absolutely the most mature of the series, April 13, 2014
It almost seems as if the characters have grown up even as the author has. Each book in this series has been better than the last, with less and less of the teenage boy silliness to be found. It's not entirely gone from this one, but I'd say 98% now. In the meantime, the human relationships in his book were far more grown up than in the past. The relationship with the children - among themselves and between them and the adults, is particularly well written. As a parent of three daughters, all much older than the kids in this book, I find it even more amazing that these characters were written by a man without kids of his own.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging - SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A [Old Version]

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Failed in < 18 months - but Warranty Covered, April 1, 2014
Purchased in November 2012 (less than 18 months ago) for use in my then new Samsung Galaxy S3. It has never been removed from the phone until today when it failed. Since the phone is still fine and the memory card is stored well inside, it's safe to assume this card has suffered no abuse. Today, the card is totally unreadable. It can't be formatted by the phone. The PC doesn't see it at all. It's dead, Jim. I'll be contacting SANDISK about warranty today.

UPDATE: I've updated this from 1 start to 4 because although it failed, SANDISK is replacing it at no charge. Sometimes stuff fails. If a manufacturer will stand by it, that speaks well. Nice that because I bought it on Amazon I could search my orders and find the original invoice to use when I contacted them.

Black & Decker VP810 3.6-Volt Versapak Screwdriver
Black & Decker VP810 3.6-Volt Versapak Screwdriver
Price: $29.97
5 used & new from $20.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Ordering my 3rd -- so that's both good and bad, March 1, 2014
I love this tool, but worry about lifespan. My first one - the old color scheme even - eventually wore out when the nylon gears in the head became stripped. I probably own that problem as I was putting way too much torque on it. My second one, however, has become unreliable as the switch doesn't make good contact -- and that's a Black & Decker problem, not something I caused.

I love the battery life, power, and comfort with these though, and since I've got two perfectly great "versa pac" batteries already, I'd just as soon get the same model again. Now I'll have three. I cannot imagine how it could be possible to use this faster than you can charge the battery, so even having two should do it for most people. I don't swap batteries more than once every several MONTHS of general use around the house. Admittedly, for any kind of big job I use a full size 18v power tool. This is strictly a quick jobs kind of tool for me.

APC BACK-UPS XS 1300VA BX1300LCD REPLACEMENT BATTERY (2) 12V 9.0ah Batteries. (Please Reuse Your Existing Connectors and Wires.)
Offered by CBC Manufacturing and Supply
Price: $25.50
10 used & new from $25.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Works - but I'm not convinced it's really new, more likely a pull or a re-manufactured product, January 9, 2014
Pro: It's a perfect fit for my APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD. The replacement process went as you'd expect, plug and play. The batteries came from the vendor fully charged (which is unusual). APC's software self-test indicates all is well.

Con: These were shipped by USPS, which was days longer than it would have taken by other means. The shipping materials were of low-quality re-used cardboard that didn't quite fit and lots of packing tape to hold it together. This was placed in a padded USPS envelope. I'm surprised that they arrived without damage.

I have no way to know for sure, but these batteries do not seem likely to me to be truly new products in the strictest sense of the term. Every other time I've bought replacement batteries they come in much better packaging and include testing data sheets, warnings, and instruction documents. The batteries have no manufacture date stamps on them that I could identify and the plastic casings had some very minor scratches. If I had to guess, I would bet these are pulls from either new or returned units.

It's unclear how this will impact the longevity of the product. It will be 3-5 years before I actually know that answer (I hope). As they appear to work, and I do need them, I'm going to do as I usually do and just apply a sticker to the unit indicating the date of the battery change so I'll know next time it's needed. I think this time I'll also include the Amazon order number on the sticker so that if they don't last well I can update this review.

The Line Must Hold (Crimson Worlds V)
The Line Must Hold (Crimson Worlds V)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground pounding, gritty, hardcare military SF. Well told., July 20, 2013
A very strong addition to the series. This one is almost all hardcore military ground pounding with a fair bit of space battle stuff tossed in. As the series has progressed, the focus has spread out quite a bit allowing more time for other characters and less for the original hero. That makes perfect sense. As Cain has progressed up the ranks, his decisions paint with a much larger brush.

Jay Allen's writing continues to be excellent. Through the first third of the book, I was wondering if it was getting too bogged down in the military detail, by the time I crossed the half way point, I realized how little I really knew about what it was like to be a soldier. Either Jay Allen has personal experience in this regard or he's spent a lot of time listening to people who do.

If there's one weak point in the series, it's also a strong point. I'm not sure that each book will always appeal to the same set of readers as the previous. This one is will be most appreciated by those with a taste for gritty military reality.

I enjoyed it, and look forward to the next in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6