Profile for Andrew Pollack > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew Pollack RSS Feed (Cumberland, Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Nexus and More (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $49.99
12 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Exactly what I wanted, April 27, 2014
It charges all my toys quickly, comes well packaged and with all the needed parts, operates silently (without the hum or buzz I've seen on some cheap chargers) and generally serves my need quite well.

Operation Shield: A Cassandra Kresnov Novel
Operation Shield: A Cassandra Kresnov Novel
Price: $9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- absolutely the most mature of the series, April 13, 2014
It almost seems as if the characters have grown up even as the author has. Each book in this series has been better than the last, with less and less of the teenage boy silliness to be found. It's not entirely gone from this one, but I'd say 98% now. In the meantime, the human relationships in his book were far more grown up than in the past. The relationship with the children - among themselves and between them and the adults, is particularly well written. As a parent of three daughters, all much older than the kids in this book, I find it even more amazing that these characters were written by a man without kids of his own.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging - SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A
Price: $18.50
4 used & new from $15.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Failed in < 18 months - but Warranty Covered, April 1, 2014
Purchased in November 2012 (less than 18 months ago) for use in my then new Samsung Galaxy S3. It has never been removed from the phone until today when it failed. Since the phone is still fine and the memory card is stored well inside, it's safe to assume this card has suffered no abuse. Today, the card is totally unreadable. It can't be formatted by the phone. The PC doesn't see it at all. It's dead, Jim. I'll be contacting SANDISK about warranty today.

UPDATE: I've updated this from 1 start to 4 because although it failed, SANDISK is replacing it at no charge. Sometimes stuff fails. If a manufacturer will stand by it, that speaks well. Nice that because I bought it on Amazon I could search my orders and find the original invoice to use when I contacted them.

Black & Decker VP810 3.6-Volt Versapak Screwdriver
Black & Decker VP810 3.6-Volt Versapak Screwdriver
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ordering my 3rd -- so that's both good and bad, March 1, 2014
I love this tool, but worry about lifespan. My first one - the old color scheme even - eventually wore out when the nylon gears in the head became stripped. I probably own that problem as I was putting way too much torque on it. My second one, however, has become unreliable as the switch doesn't make good contact -- and that's a Black & Decker problem, not something I caused.

I love the battery life, power, and comfort with these though, and since I've got two perfectly great "versa pac" batteries already, I'd just as soon get the same model again. Now I'll have three. I cannot imagine how it could be possible to use this faster than you can charge the battery, so even having two should do it for most people. I don't swap batteries more than once every several MONTHS of general use around the house. Admittedly, for any kind of big job I use a full size 18v power tool. This is strictly a quick jobs kind of tool for me.

APC BACK-UPS XS 1300VA BX1300LCD REPLACEMENT BATTERY (2) 12V 9.0ah Batteries. (Please Reuse Your Existing Connectors and Wires.)
Offered by CBC Manufacturing and Supply
Price: $23.92
9 used & new from $23.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Works - but I'm not convinced it's really new, more likely a pull or a re-manufactured product, January 9, 2014
Pro: It's a perfect fit for my APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD. The replacement process went as you'd expect, plug and play. The batteries came from the vendor fully charged (which is unusual). APC's software self-test indicates all is well.

Con: These were shipped by USPS, which was days longer than it would have taken by other means. The shipping materials were of low-quality re-used cardboard that didn't quite fit and lots of packing tape to hold it together. This was placed in a padded USPS envelope. I'm surprised that they arrived without damage.

I have no way to know for sure, but these batteries do not seem likely to me to be truly new products in the strictest sense of the term. Every other time I've bought replacement batteries they come in much better packaging and include testing data sheets, warnings, and instruction documents. The batteries have no manufacture date stamps on them that I could identify and the plastic casings had some very minor scratches. If I had to guess, I would bet these are pulls from either new or returned units.

It's unclear how this will impact the longevity of the product. It will be 3-5 years before I actually know that answer (I hope). As they appear to work, and I do need them, I'm going to do as I usually do and just apply a sticker to the unit indicating the date of the battery change so I'll know next time it's needed. I think this time I'll also include the Amazon order number on the sticker so that if they don't last well I can update this review.

The Line Must Hold (Crimson Worlds V)
The Line Must Hold (Crimson Worlds V)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground pounding, gritty, hardcare military SF. Well told., July 20, 2013
A very strong addition to the series. This one is almost all hardcore military ground pounding with a fair bit of space battle stuff tossed in. As the series has progressed, the focus has spread out quite a bit allowing more time for other characters and less for the original hero. That makes perfect sense. As Cain has progressed up the ranks, his decisions paint with a much larger brush.

Jay Allen's writing continues to be excellent. Through the first third of the book, I was wondering if it was getting too bogged down in the military detail, by the time I crossed the half way point, I realized how little I really knew about what it was like to be a soldier. Either Jay Allen has personal experience in this regard or he's spent a lot of time listening to people who do.

If there's one weak point in the series, it's also a strong point. I'm not sure that each book will always appeal to the same set of readers as the previous. This one is will be most appreciated by those with a taste for gritty military reality.

I enjoyed it, and look forward to the next in the series.

The Valhalla Call (On Silver Wings Book 4)
The Valhalla Call (On Silver Wings Book 4)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition. We learn more about the aliens, get weapon systems, epic battles..., July 16, 2013
What a great addition to the sequence. We learn a lot more about the various aliens. Some of the best parts of the book were dealt with the thinking and cultures involved there. Of course, the battle scenes rocked. We got far more different kinds of weapon systems here, along with battles in space, battles in powered armor, and even hand to hand among giant "mecha" style armor. Currie really kicks the series into high gear here -- it would make an fantastic action movie.

The one downside, is that I think he was just a little too quick to pull the release trigger. There are far too many mistakes in grammar resulting from uncaught typos and partial edits that left more than a few awkward sentences hanging around.

Personally, I think it's worth a little patience in that regard for a great story -- but I'd have given it that elusive fifth star if he'd had the help of a good editor friend (and given that friend the time to help).

American Elsewhere
American Elsewhere
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concepts, a little weak in execution, July 3, 2013
I enjoyed this book, and the story line is quite good. I think the author didn't quite get the pacing and prose quite right. The book seemed to wander for a while, and often took a long time to get where it was going. I'm calling this one good but not great.

The Remaining: Fractured
The Remaining: Fractured

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to the series, July 3, 2013
I thought this series started a little weak but quickly got better. This is very much a mid-series book -- the action takes place over a fairly short period of time as "things continue to develop". HOWEVER, the book was very fast paced and kept you turning pages long into the night. The set up for the next in the series is also solid, and clearly represents some changes that bring the plot line fully back on track.

I'd recommend this book and the series very highly to anyone who likes the genre. If you're starting the series, the first book isn't the best but stick with it because the series gets better and better.

Nexus
Nexus
Price: $5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard hitting, superbly researched, written, and paced., April 16, 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
This was very well written and backed by a solid premise that had been well considered and researched. The characters were well drawn individual with their own stories, and the interactions between adults were believable. The author didn't shy away from the day to day issues of human sexuality but didn't dwell on them like a fourteen year old. The action was intense, the science was interesting, and the possible future presented was entirely believable. The narrative was good enough to not draw the readers attention out of the story, and and as a result the experience of reading the book was very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6