Profile for Andrew Pollack > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 73

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew Pollack RSS Feed (Cumberland, Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Silicon Power 128GB Blaze B30 USB 3.0 Swivel Flash Drive, Black (SP128GBUF3B30V1K)
Price: $39.99
6 used & new from $34.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, not very fast for USB 3.0., July 15, 2015
Does what it says. It's compact, and the design is nice. I've confirmed the speed is ok but not excellent when copying 4gb of music files across a USB 3.0 port. * I will say, formatting at 128kb allocation units rather than 64 makes a big difference, bit it's still not fast). I got around 10mb per second, which is much less than I've gotten with other USB 3.0 products. In fact, the same company and product line has a 32gb version and with that I have see 25mb per second.

Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)
Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)
Price: $6.99
82 used & new from $3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not always perform at USB 3.0 speeds - depends on the sdcard, July 15, 2015
It works, but it's not necessarily USB 3.0 Fast - My results (shown in the picture) show that writing to a newly formatted "SanDisk 32gb SDHC Card" using this Transcend card reader managed less than 5mb/second. By comparison, using another port on the same USB 3.0 PCIe card to copy the same files, an "SP 128gb USB 3.0" thumb drive managed about 20mb/second.

I've tried with a micrsd card also by SANDISK and got as much as 9mb/sec, so it definitely varies with the card, but still slow.

The Water Knife
The Water Knife
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced, beautifully written, politically astute, look at the water wars of the Desert Southwest to come., June 1, 2015
This review is from: The Water Knife (Kindle Edition)
It's like William Gibson re-wrote "The Milagro Beanfield War" for the 21st century. Paulo Bacigalupi has written an extremely entertaining, politically accurate story here that describes a very possible -- maybe even likely -- version of the near future of the Desert Southwest. His characters are well drawn and interesting, the pacing is just right, and the action is believable.

It's everything I've loved in Bacigalupi's other books, but with a much more grown up approach.

Love it.

Reality Check: The Empire's Corps, Book 7
Reality Check: The Empire's Corps, Book 7
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

1.0 out of 5 stars A political rant with a very thin story arc - worst in the series so far, May 24, 2015
This is the worst in an otherwise generally readable series. In terms of the story in the series, this has only the most very loose ties to the overall storyline, and the only mention of previous unresolved plot lines is in the prologue and then again in the epilogue -- as if to promise us that he'll eventually get back to the story when he's done ranting.

In this installment, Nuttall returns to the writing style of his much earlier books, in which a thin story arc is used as an excuse to write page after page describing all the worst aspects of living in the sort of nightmarish world of central management and socialist policies that libertarian extremists tend to warn us about. Not ten minutes goes by during the entire book where this political rant isn't refreshed. Eventually, a lucky few get dragged out of their socialist dystopia and and landed on an idealized colony run the way a 15 year old interpretation of Ayn Rand's "John Galt" might fantasize. The colony is a place where honor and personal responsibility are enough to keep a modern society going without a need for courts, problems are immediately solved with corporal punishment, and every sane person walks around armed all the time so they can enforce their own moral law. There are fully justified cases of parents spanking or thrashing their kids for misbehavior -- and I'm not talking about 5 year olds, we're talking about a late-teenage boy that is spanked by a parent hard enough to be sore for a couple of days -- and a case where a "bad kid" is turned into a "good kid" by means of a public lashing (being literally whipped in a public square). I'm increasingly convinced the author is not entirely sane.

If you're a 15 year old libertarian that's just finished reading "Atlas Shrugged" and spends his time arguing that the 2nd Amendment (in the U.S.) is the only part of the Constitution that matters, you'll love this book. Otherwise, the only reason to pick it up is to keep going with the series and frankly, you could skip this one and not miss a single step forward in the ongoing story arc.

Ep.#13 - "A Show of Force" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#13 - "A Show of Force" (The Frontiers Saga)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good installment in the series, not sufficient unto itself, April 11, 2015
Ryk Brown continues a great serial series with this installment. As with his recent work, this is a much more mature work both in the story and in its telling than were the very early books in the series. I enjoyed it. That said, this is very much a "middle" book. It starts with an assumption of the knowledge of the storyline, and it finishes with a great many things left unresolved - clearly set up for a next book. My preference for books in a series is that they be related but not completely interdependent.

CamKix Chest Mount Harness for Gopro Hero 4, Session, Black, Silver, Hero+ LCD, 3+, 3, 2, 1 - Fully Adjustable Chest Strap - Also Includes J-Hook / Thumbscrew / Storage Bag
Offered by ECO-FUSED
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit much better than it looked like it would. Worked very well for me and I'm not a small guy, March 20, 2015
This kit works for me. It came with all the right parts to mount the camera to the chest plate. The harness seemed small to me when I took it out of the package and as a fairly big guy (I wear a 48 men's sport coat) I was worried it wouldn't work for me with a heavy coat for skiing. It did work. It worked just fine. It was comfortable and snug but not tight or binding.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars not really what I wanted., March 10, 2015
This is not the same consistency as the tub I got from BJ's a couple of years back. I like that product, but this is thicker and less wet, and harder to work with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2015 3:40 PM PDT

ZILU Smart Battery 13000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack Backup Power Bank for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets
Offered by ZiLuTech
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $27.49

5.0 out of 5 stars First impression review : I will update with more info or if anything changes, March 10, 2015
First: Zilu has not contacted me or offered me anything for this review (at least not yet, as I write this)

First impression: For it's capacity, it's quite compact - about the size of a hard shell reading glasses case. It feels like fairly standard quality plastic with decent build quality. It is unusual in that the power output is on the line side. I'm not sure why that matters to anyone.

The only thing I've found not to like so far, is that the labeling on the ports to indicate which is the 1Amp and which is the 2amp is almost impossible to read without a magnifying glass. It's not screen printed on the device, just indentations in the black plastic and quite small. I'll be using a paint pen to label them where I can see them.

On most devices, it's fine.
On Apple iPad the pack is recognized as charging normally
On Samsung Galaxy S3 the pack shows charging normally (high speed charging)
On Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 the pack shows charging but not as a Samsung usb charger so charging is potentially MUCH slower

In my testing, I have found that it will charge devices while it is being charged -- however, if you're going to charge two devices at the same time, or charge something that will pull 2 amps from the port, you're going to have a hard time finding a USB charging block with enough output to keep ahead of that. You may find the unit drains faster than you can charge it in that case. I don't know any way around that other than having a non-usb block adapter to charge, but then you've got something else to carry around when you travel. That's what my EVO Power battery had, and while it worked well, if you forgot their charging block you were out of luck.

When you plug a device in that requires charging, it is not necessary to push a button on this battery pack to start charging. For me, that is a positive since I can leave the pack buried in my backpack with a usb cable snaked up to the pocket where the cellular modem or cell phone stays while being used or charged. I don't need to fish deep into the pack to turn this thing on or off like I did for the EVO. I prefer this method even though it's a bit of a trade off.

I don't generally like having the led flashlight on devices like this because they usually turn on when you don't want them on but that is not the case here. Since the only reason to push the button is to see if there is a charge, and to turn on or off the led light you have to push and hold the button for much longer, it shouldn't be an issue. That's a good design, in my opinion.

At 13000mAh I should be able to fully charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 with standard battery about 3 and a half times from dead empty, or about twice if I'm using the extended battery pack on that phone. I should be able to run my cellular Mifi on this battery about 24 hours without needing to recharge the device.

The only two things not yet tested is how long it takes to re-charge, and how well it holds a charge when not in use. Since I just received it, I can't answer that yet but I will update this review once I've tested. I'll be testing with a usb charger rated at 1amp and one rated at 2amp to see if it makes a difference. I expect it will be a few days by the time I can get back with those results.

External Battery Charger 10400mAh - Best Battery Packs w/Dual USB Power Bank Delivery System that charges any iphone (Inc Plus), Galaxy S3 S4 S5 S6, Samsung Tab, ipad Mini, etc. Portable + Powerful!
Offered by Mogix
Price: $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial Review - I will update this if my opinion changes over time. (updated 03/11/2015), March 10, 2015
I have not been offered or received anything in return for this review.

Updated 3/11/2015 - downgraded from 5 to 4 stars for the following fairly minor issues:

1. The 2.1a port is recognized by my Galaxy S3 phone as a rapid charger, but the 2.5a port is not. This means I have to be careful which port I use even though both are, in theory, powerful enough to rapid charge. The 2.5a port will take as much as 4 times longer to charge the phone because the phone will limit its draw to 0.5a on this port.

2. Although the device does not need to be button-on started when you plug in a device to charge, I noticed on at least one device I tested with (an ipod touch I had sitting around) that once it was charged and stopped drawing, the ipod touch would no longer be running on the batter pack and would not draw a charge again unless unplugged and plugged back in or the button on the batter was pushed. That can mean if I put a mifi on the batter to run all day, the first time the mifi is fully charged it will turn off the batter pack and then the mifi can run down and die unless I re-press the button.

These two issues are confusing, and are just enough to move this from a perfect 5 star rating to a 4 star rating on an otherwise beautiful and well designed unit.

---

First impression: It's beautiful, very slim, and will slip comfortably into my travel back. The ports are well marked and can be read in low light. The case is smooth plastic but feels high quality. It's probably a scratch and fingerprint magnet if that bothers you. It doesn't bother me.

While it can be used to charge your devices while it is being charged itself. Presumably, if the output your devices require is higher in total than the charge you're putting in, it will eventually drain. Since charging is done with a micro-USB connector for input, this is very likely if you are charging a tablet, or two devices at once. The only way to avoid that would be to buy a battery pack that has a block adapter charger, but that would add something else you have to travel with.

When you plug in a device that draws a charge, the battery pack will sense it and begin charging immediately without requiring any button push. I consider this a good thing, because it allows me to keep the batter back in a deep pocket in my travel pack, and just thread the charging cable for my devices up into the top pocket where the cell modem or phone stays. I don't have to dig into the pack and turn on the battery. I suppose the downside is that I can leave things that need a charge plugged in and not charging. I'm not sure why I'd need that.

Compatibility:

On most devices, it's fine.

On Apple iPad the pack is recognized as charging normally

On Samsung Galaxy S3 the pack shows charging normally on the 2.1amp port, but on the 2.5amp port it is shown as not a rapid charger, so charging is potentially slower

The only button on the unit is small and recessed to avoid and accidental push, and just seems to turn on the LED indicators showing how much charge remains. These also light up while charging.

As to capacity - at 10,400mAh I expect it to be about the same as the unit I'm replacing (from EVO Power). This is to say I can connect a mifi unit to the battery and leave them connected in my pack all day while wandering around Europe without running out of power. It should charge my Samsung S3 around 3 times if I'm using the standard Samsung battery, or twice if I'm using the extended battery. I will update this review if that turns out not to be the case.

The only remaining questions are how long it takes to charge, and how well it holds a charge when not in use. I'll update this review with that information once I have time to test it. It will take at least two days to get to that update because first I have to drain it, then I have to time how long to charge. I'll probably test that with a couple of different charging blocks with different capacity so I can give an accurate review.

ProClearz Fungal Shield Brush-On Antifungal Liquid, Maximum Strength , 1-Ounce (30 ml) (Pack of 3)
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $18.17
8 used & new from $17.83

4.0 out of 5 stars It works as well as anything I've tried, but you have to use it diligently and correctly., January 10, 2015
This is working for me - after some effort. Fyi: - though here it seems to be 17 dollars, at the big store that starts with a W it's 5 and a half.

I've had the problem on my big toe for a really long time, and nothing worked - partly, I'm sure, because my use of products has been inconsistent. The way all of these work, you have to apply them a couple of times a day, at least, for months while the nail grows and you have to apply it at the base of the nail, not just where the infection seems to be.

What I finally did (and I do NOT recommend this) is that I used stupidly dangerous things like a dremel tool to file away as much of the damaged nail as I could without damaging the skin underneath (this is really important because you do not want a fungus in your bloodstream). Also, note that damaged and cracked nails are where this fungal stuff likes to grow, so it's a trade off. Then I started being much more diligent about applying this stuff every single time I got out of the shower and before going to bed. I had to repeat the process a few times as the nail grew out until the root of the infection (let's not get graphic, but it was obvious to me) was exposed and could be cleaned out of the nail. Even then, I've been applying this stuff for weeks and now the nail is about 50% new growth from the base up, and the new growth is clear. In another few weeks the infection will be gone. I'll still use this stuff for several more weeks to make sure it stays gone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8