ARRAY(0xa43f236c)

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ronnie S. Smith "Film Guy" RSS Feed (LI, NY)

Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
Price: $18.25
96 used & new from $15.16

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sounding lav under $100, June 15, 2012
I have to say, I now own 4 of these babies. I have never been happier with a lav mic in my life. I have Shure and Nady wireless and wired lav mics that I paid a fortune for that sound more hollow and quiet. These mics pick up everything so wrap them in moleskin (if using them taped to clothing) or just clip them somewhat close (be sure to use the windscreen) and you will be golden. Just be sure to have a quiet room either way. Not sure what the complaint is about the volume or battery life. I actually have to lower my volume on the camera or recorder to stop it from clipping most of the time and when I do, I can easily hit that sweet spot. I eq it in post and it always comes out clean and full. The batteries have lasted me on multi-day shoots. Just be sure to carry a few extra (they are cheap batteries) and turn the barrel off when you're not recording and you will have no problem at all with battery life. I have an $800 shotgun that will go dead if I leave it on too so just use common sense!

Ok, one complaint though... these should come with one or two replacement windscreens - they are just too easy to lose and you can't buy a direct replacement as far as I know. Other than that, I use them daily and professionally with no sound complaints. I will post an example in the near future.

Raindance Producers' Lab Lo-To-No Budget Filmmaking
Raindance Producers' Lab Lo-To-No Budget Filmmaking
by Elliot Grove
Price: $48.93
35 used & new from $25.22

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Indispensible!, March 22, 2012
I had the pleasure of taking Elliot Grove's seminar here in NY a few years ago and then picking his brain about filmmaking afterwards over drinks. As the founder of Raindance Film Festival, arguably one of the most influential festivals in England for independent filmmakers, he is someone who has helped countless directors, producers aspiring movie makers get their movies made. This book is the epitome of the information I was able to take home with me plus a whole lot more.

The Raindance Producers lab contains all the information the lo and no budget filmmaker needs to get a project done from start to finish. Everything from what to shoot with, how to finance a film and what the jobs on a crew are to film markets, programming a film festival and marketing and distribution plans are covered. This book is just as much a tool for the experienced filmmaker with a budget. Following the advice in this book can save tons of cash and improve the business of making a film for anyone.

I can honestly say that this is one of the most valuable books I own on the subject and one I reference every time I think about turning on a camera.

The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
by Gretchen Davis
Price: $35.19
71 used & new from $34.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Have For The Photographer or Filmmaker, March 22, 2012
The Makeup Artist Handbook is a must have in the studio. As a photographer and filmmaker, makeup is a subject I barely ever paid attention to. I would hire someone in the field and I either liked what they did or not and had no idea why. This comprehensive, but not perfect guide, allows me to understand what and why these true artists actually do what they do.

This book covers just about any facet of makeup for film, photography, tv and stage. It is pretty much a textbook on techniques from basic beauty to advanced prosthetics. It doesn't waste time and space on unneeded fluff. The layout of the book leaves a little bit to be desired though. Some illustrations are hard to tie in with the copy and I would like to have seen larger color plates of some of the processes but other than that it's a must have on my shelf. Understanding face shapes and how certain colors and shadows can change a subject is invaluable now that I am aware of what I am looking at. The book really makes me want to try it myself on the next model I photograph or maybe even undertake a special effects makeup job on my next film.

I highly recommend this book for anyone curious, as well as for anyone involved, in any aspect of film and stage production. This was one of the best additions to my filmmaking library.

Canon VIXIA HFS100 HD Flash Memory Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom - 2009 MODEL
Canon VIXIA HFS100 HD Flash Memory Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom - 2009 MODEL
Offered by UpBeat Electronics
Price: $1,050.00
13 used & new from $450.00

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge..., July 7, 2009
Short and sweet. The Vixia FH s100 is, hands down, the best investment I have made in a long time. I purchased this camera to make the move to HD without spending a fortune in these lousy economic times. I had considered much more expensive cameras but an idie film project came my way that needed to be shot in HD and quickly. This camera does not disappoint.

There are certain things that separate a camera like this from a pro camera but this one tends to blur the lines. First the cons. Lack of manual controls. If Canon would make the focus assist dial have a greater range it would solve this problem quickly (firmware update - Canon, are you listening?) Second would be the lens size - although this is the largest in it's class from what I understand. The glass, though, is perfect. Third would be the over abundance of special bells and whistles. Obviously, they've taken the best of both consumer and pro needs and desires and put them into one small package (it fits in a large pocket - very easy to tote around but not very impressive to an actor on the set!) The low light performance is something that some have complained about. For a film maker it's not a deal breaker because we can control light for the most part but if you plan on shooting in low light - expect some graininess especially under low lit tungsten. Although, the Vixia has special settings for most situations that seem to work very well. I filmed 4th of July Fireworks the other night and it looked stunning on a 60 inch HD TV. Sold my DVX's and all the accessories and now it's just me and the Vixia. Very happy indeed.

Sunpak 72mm Fluorescent Light Balance filter
Sunpak 72mm Fluorescent Light Balance filter

5.0 out of 5 stars suprisingly good, October 22, 2007
Although most correction can be done in the camera, this lens filter worked suprisingly well with very little light loss. I had other Sunpak items that were excellent and a few that weren't - this one is very useful though - especially for the indy film maker who builds his own floro light boxes!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, October 22, 2007
What can you say but Nikon quality. No complaints. super glass and sturdy ring. Can't ask for more.

Getting Started in Sailboat Racing
Getting Started in Sailboat Racing
by Adam Cort
33 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for the beginner racer, October 22, 2007
I have to say, this book got me to second place in a regatta filled with 4 and 5 year racers. It is clear and consice and takes into account the fact that you may or may not have ever raced before. Principals are clearly explained in everyday language and the important rules are explained. For those people looking to start Wednesday night racing - this is your book!

SAILING FOR NEW SAILORS.
SAILING FOR NEW SAILORS.
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $8.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitly for the beginner, October 22, 2007
This review is from: SAILING FOR NEW SAILORS. (DVD)
Get this if you're thinking of getting into sailing and want a half hour introduction to the sport. I learned more on my first day on the water. It contains the basics of sail control on a sailboard which, although you will feel a more direct connection with the wind and water, might confuse the new boat sailor. Although the principals are the same, there's a big difference between the two. All-in-all it's an OK introduction for the absolute beginner or land-lover.

Porter Cable 1-1/4 Screws (100 per box) Part number 5501
Porter Cable 1-1/4 Screws (100 per box) Part number 5501

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, March 17, 2006
I love these pocket screws. Definitly get a long square driver for these because you don't want any collet burns on your pieces. I wish I bought two boxes as you run out fast when you have a few projects. Get the other sizes as well - you'll need them!

Kreg MKJKIT Mini Kreg Jig Kit
Kreg MKJKIT Mini Kreg Jig Kit
Price: $19.95
37 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!, March 17, 2006
Much easier than trying to line up biscuts, this little tool saved me hours on my built-ins. I highly reccommend this item and using it with a corded drill for anything 3/4" and over. I used my cordless and had no problems but I think the power of a general consumer cordless drill may not be enough to make a clean hole. I definitly reccommend this liitle jig and bit or move up to the bigger one.