Profile for MariaSmiles > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 492

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MariaSmiles RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vista Point DENVER Colorado
Vista Point DENVER Colorado
DVD
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than a mindless sitcom; if you can get past the music, June 8, 2015
Mostly interesting, well-paced overview of Denver and a few cities around(-ish) it - Aspen, Colorado Springs, etc. (Surprisingly, not Boulder - is it that new of a city??). The video quality isn't great, but it's not awful. The music, however, is comically dated and terrible - lots of 80's sounding too-loud midi-tracks. Well, 90% of it is, anyway. If you imagine the video as a script, the music changes with pretty much each paragraph. This is good and bad, as they take away one horrendous track (just as you're getting used to it and it's starting to "fade" from your consciousness), but then replace it with another new, and equally awful track. There's certainly worse things in life and this was good for a chuckle.

The information presented varies: State Buildings, Public Spaces, Native American Indian History, Scenic Locations, Shopping Areas, Tourist Spots, Historical Lodging, and Notable People, etc. This is an older video, so there's no mention of the new marijuana laws, or the culture / economy that's recently grown from them. I'd prefer a bit less information on shopping malls and costly government buildings, and more information on the natural surroundings, but that's my own personal preference.

Also, the narrator has a very strong accent that doesn't sound like any place I've been in America, including Denver. He has a great speaking voice, but it might have been cool to have someone who grew up in the area do the narration - I don't know if there's a "Denver accent", but there's always something in the language that's unique to an area. I find hearing it to be part of the charm of travel.

Overall, a pretty good watch. Low commitment, more interesting than a mindless sitcom.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed consumer decisions I hope this review helped you :)

Birkenstock Back Strap ''Kano'' from Birko-Flor in Black 41.0 EU N
Birkenstock Back Strap ''Kano'' from Birko-Flor in Black 41.0 EU N
Offered by Shoe Gress
Price: $68.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, grippy, soft! A comparison to typical Milanos, etc., May 25, 2015
I've been wearing Birks (various styles/lines) for over 20 years. Recently, I slipped and gashed up my knee while on a trip overseas. The cause was a bad combo of flat birkenstock soles, and small gravelly bits on a large, 'declined' boulder (note, my 80-year companion in grippy Sketchers navigated this terrain easily). While I LOOOOOVE my birks, I love safety a bit more. With another hilly walking trip in my future, I decided to seek out a safer pair of shoes. I turned to birks, since I know they fit well and are super comfy. I happened upon this style, never having seen them before and, they filled my second requirement, a backstrap. I was especially drawn to the anti-static properties, thinking of the uncomfortable shocks I've gotten in the past, and wondering if it would have any effect like "earthing".

Ordering them from a marketplace seller in germany, and having no reviews so far, I was a bit worried about what I was going to get. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised by the fast shipping, great packaging, and of course, awesome shoes!

If you're wondering how they differ from the usual Milano or other typical style birk, here ya go, in no particular order:
- the sidewall strap is mounted "inside" the area of the footbed. On my other typical birk sandals, the strap is glued/mounted to the outside. This "inside mount" does make it a bit narrower (on an already "narrow" categorized shoe / filled in footprint)
- the back strap has an "attachment point" on the inside of the ankle. On my others, this is just made from a single piece of strap. I was worried about rubbing, since it causes a very apparent ridge on the inside, but so far I haven't noticed an issue.
- the strap material is much more flexible than my other birks' straps. This is nice, since I've felt some roughness on those other ones, but not at all on these. However, this can cause a bit of "buckling/popping out" on the edges, if you have wider feet. It's not a big deal to me, as the other features outweigh that, and I'm not really wearing these for their sexiness factor.
- The holes in the top two straps are a bit "stingy". I have mine at the "loosest" (how they came), and I can't imagine tightening them very much. Moreso, I doubt that they would even be able to reach to each other at the narrowest holes that are already punched. If you have "high" feet, or just more mass in your feet, you may have to poke a hole or two, to allow enough room for the top straps to fit. Not a big deal, but the hole pattern does seem to be a bit more 'snug' than my others.
- The soles are very curvy, inside and outside. Inside, there's quite a bit of support in a few areas. The arch bump seems to be a little farther forward (closer to the toes) than my others, but not so much so that it's a problem. Also, the outer 'toe wall' seems a bit more substantial, offering a tad more protection to the front of the toe line.
- the ESD (anti-static) feature adds a few "dots" and a bit of stickyness? under the ball of the foot, but nothing too distracting and certainly not uncomfortable.
- the footbed of the ESD style is a heathered grey. The straps are black, and there is a small yellow "button" logo on the side, indicating the ESD feature. The non-ESD footbed is brown, regardless of strap color.
- the fuzzy lining of the footbed is suuuuper soft and it makes me want to wear them both all the time, and not as much (so it doesn't wear off!) It's almost like walking in super fuzzy slippers.
- the footbed seems to be the "soft footbed" style. I actually prefer the more standard footbed, with less "sinking in", but I can see how others might like these, as there's not really any "breaking in period" needed.
- The footbed/sole is also very flexible, much moreso than my other birks. This makes me feel good about the traction concern, as I believe I will have a bit more of a "form fitting" footprint, which can be especially helpful when walking on very "convoluted"/rooty/cratered/uneven ground. This is a "bonus" safety feature that I hadn't anticipated when I made my purchase.
- So far, the soles seem quite grippy (but I've only done basic initial "testing" in my home, on carpet and vinyl floors, and stairs). There is definitely a more varied tread and I imagine this would also provide better traction (one of my main reasons for purchase).
- Overall, in ALL areas (strap, footbed, sole), they are very flexible and soft to your feet. Super comfy!!
- I believe they may be slightly lighter than my usual Milanos, but I haven't tested this theory.
- One negative is that they do have a sort of "chemically" smell, that my other Birks do not. I believe this may be due to the grippy tread sole, or possibly the straps. I am quite sensitive, so you may not even smell it, but I figured I'd mention it. Normally, I do avoid products with an odor/off-gas potential, etc, but these ticked all the other boxes for important features.

I did try to look at other brands for a grippy, comfy, supportive sandal (columbia, keen, teva, merrell, sketchers, etc), but none had the style I desired and most were even more expensive. Plus, while I've owned at least one pair of all of those other brands (and, for some, many pairs), I've always found birks to be the most comfortable on me. I'm a 41.

Just a quick note about the seller, in case you're also cautious about international purchases: mine came from Shoe Shop Rempp and I was very pleased with their shipping speed and well-packaged order. In addition, I received exactly what I ordered - always a plus!

I hope these last at least as long as my other Birks and I'm looking forward to many fun and safe treks to new and wonderful places in my Kanos!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions. I hope this review helped you. :)

Fishers Finery Ecofabric Women's V-neck Tee - Comfort Fit - Black XL Size X-Large
Offered by Fishers Finery
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, soft, great fit, excellent fabric!!, May 25, 2015
These shirts are GREAT!! I've bought 4 so far, as they fit me just right and are SUPER soft! Lately, shirt sizes seem to be shrinking and getting all sorts of wacky, with narrowing and lengthening being an issue. I am short-waisted, narrow-waisted, with wider hips and bust and this shirt style fits me just right. Just long enough to cover the waistline of pants/skirts, but not so long that they are dragging below the crotch/butt area. I do not like my shirts to fit that way, and so many are made too long and you either have to stretch them around your hips, or bunch them up. Often, this makes your waist look thicker, too. Ugh! I also like the length of the sleeves. Long enough for a nice coverage, but not so long as to be matronly or hot. Lots of shirts these days skimp on sleeve length, making them unflattering unless you've got very toned arms. The V-neck is just the right depth and angle. Again, so many other shirts I've bought are quite low-cut (even when that's not really the intention).

I wear this shirt to the gym with yoga pants and, I wear it to work with a nice skirt. I LOVE that they are made from sustainable materials (yay, healthy bamboo and organic cotton!), and I'd hope they're made in a "fair trade" type of factory. Although I do think they are a good value, I wish they were a bit less expensive (they are my most expensive shirts!). They wash and wear well (sometimes, I hang them to dry), but they will take longer than a polyester shirt to dry. I know this, because I hand-washed and hung-dried both on a recent trip overseas, and this took much longer to dry.

Overall, I highly recommend this shirt. Fishers Finery, please keep making this style, and add a few more colors, too! Royals: red, purple, or blue? Even dark teal, maybe??

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions,. I hope this review helped you. :)

Allison Brittney Women's Plus-Size Foam Cup Maxi Dress with Detail, Midnight Navy, 1X

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dress! Here's how to cut the pads (& one note of caution), May 25, 2015
Bought this in the deep blue and wore it to a casual wedding with a cute white crochet bolero and white hat. Yes, the foam "cups" (they're actually thin foam pads, attached to the dress at the bottom of the pad only) do shift a bit and weren't my "shape" at all. One even had a "nipple" look to it that wasn't very attractive. Before wearing, I also cut mine out (thanks to the other reviewers who said they had done this successfully!)

I was a bit nervous, but it worked perfectly! For anyone else interested, here's how I did it: on the inside fabric layer of the bust (the one that lays against your skin), I carefully cut a 1" or so horizontal (parallel to the waistband) slit right in the middle (between where the breasts sit). That way, if it pulled there wouldn't be a weird gap shape showing through. Plus, I could access both "pads" from the center. (Surely, there are other good places to cut this hole, too). Then, I simply dug around a little until I had the left pad in hand, gently pulled it toward the slit, and then rolled/folded it a bit until it fit through the hole. Then, I took a sharp pair of scissors and cut the little fabric tab that held the pad in place. I cut it in the middle of the pad and the dress, in case I needed to reattach it, or something else, to the dress. Then, I did the same thing with the right side pad. If I was more industrious, I'd sew up the hole (and maybe I will someday), but even without that, it worked perfectly.

I was really nervous about messing up the dress, but I'd tried on dozens, even after after buying this one, and this one really did look the best (besides the pad issue). I wore a bra with clear straps (a little tacky and not super comfy, but supportive and not too visible), and a pair of high-waisted Hanes support short things underneath just to smooth everything out for photos and stuff. Got lots of compliments and, despite being "dressed up" (ugh!) and it being almost 90-degrees F and humid, I was EXTREMELY comfortable from start to finish (even went to a lively birthday party after the day-long wedding!). Seriously, wearing this dress is like wearing pajamas! It's just stretchy enough, and it's super soft. I'm considering buying the other colors, too! If you're courageous, you could even wear this dress with a good strapless bra, as the empire waist helps a little with support. I was dancing and moving around a lot, so I'm glad I had the extra security of the clear straps.

Also, I'm 5'2" and thankfully, didn't have to hem it (of note, I did buy both my usual size, and one size up, just in case, and the size up was a tad longer). I don't wear heels, but I did wear a pair of white fitflops, which do have a 1" or so platform on the bottom. I danced barefoot and it didn't drag too much, but not sure if I would have been ok walking around in true flats in this dress. If you're my height, just something to consider. I'm very short-waisted, narrow-waisted, wide hips and bust, with longer legs, and it's not easy for me to find dresses that fit right and fall in just the right places. This one was pretty much perfect. Didn't even come up too high under the arms (a common problem I find).

The main downside to this dress is that it almost seems like a "disposable" dress (or, at least only wear it once to a nicer function), as the fabric around the bust/under the arms was very "pilled" by the end of the night (albeit a very long night!). I would expect this from knits after extensive wearings/washings, but just one wearing!?!? I'm even a little hesitant to wash it now, as I'm concerned about the construction and the "jewels" around the waist. Fortunately, it wasn't very expensive, and it hit the mark in all the other areas that I am focused on.

Overall, I'm very glad I bought it. So far, I've gotten one great day out of it, and plan to wear it to other casual/comfy functions.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you! :)

Mr. Ellie Pooh Elephant Dung Paper Card Stock, Robin's Egg Blue (CS-Light Blue)
Mr. Ellie Pooh Elephant Dung Paper Card Stock, Robin's Egg Blue (CS-Light Blue)
Price: $23.12

5.0 out of 5 stars We all dug the dung, May 1, 2015
I used 4 packs of these for my wedding invitations. I printed directly on them using a large office laser printer, then cut them, and shaped the corners. All handling (printing/cutting/shaping) response was appropriate for the method & the medium.

Individual sheets varied in thickness from one to the next - not enough to affect printing, but enough to notice the difference. I liked that aspect, but that's my personal preference. These papers are a bit thicker than typical papers so you cut fewer at once.

There are "pieces" of things in the paper (bits of straw and other "elephant treats"), some sheets had very small holes, and the color varied a bit (I believe the packs I got had been stored in the sun, as there was some obvious shelf fading). This was in early 2014 and they were out of stock for a while, so this fading may no longer be an issue. It only bothered me a little.

Ink disbursement on them can be somewhat inconsistent, due to the uneven surface and "natural effects" listed above. I was able to use all prints, and I preferred the natural/organic look for my wedding. If you're considering using these papers, I'm guessing you like that look, too.

I loved the eco-friendliness, and the unique-ness of the paper. In some places, it has somewhat of a soft "hand feel", kind of like a natural felt.

Oh, and people really dug the dung aspect!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed product decisions. I hope this review was helpful to you :)

Natural Seal Spray On Invisible Bandage for cuts, scrapes, burns, rashes eczema & more, 1 oz
Offered by myFootprint, Inc.
Price: $10.70
6 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for eczema where others failed, April 19, 2015
I happened upon this option while looking for more natural "bandages". I was intrigued by the claims to heal eczema and so I bought a bottle. I had an awfully stubborn patch on my palm that wasn't responding well to the other natural remedies I'd tried (that do work well for other things). I began to see improvement within the first two days. Four days later, the patch was almost history. I couldn't believe how well this worked, but I'm thankful!

Yes, it smells funky, kind of like bad plastic, and it looks like watery milk, and it's a bit runny when you first spray it, and you have to rinse the nozzle after you use it to keep it clear, but all that is so worth it to me, as none of those are as bothersome as the eczema that I dealt with for months, and was healed in a few days with the Natural Seal.

Many thanks to the woman who invented it and put in the market. Thank you for your ingenuity and gusto!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions. I hope you also found this review helpful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2015 12:39 PM PDT

Vapur Shake Filter (3-Pack), White
Vapur Shake Filter (3-Pack), White
Price: $7.68
5 used & new from $2.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresher water, flexible "filter", April 15, 2015

Bonus, they are individually-wrapped (like tea bags) so you can toss one in your day pack and leave the others back at "base". The packaging claims up to 50 uses. The challenge is finding a spot to hold a wet, in-use one when you are cleaning the bottle in the field. I held mine between my teeth.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

Vapur Shake Water Filter (24-Pack)
Vapur Shake Water Filter (24-Pack)
Price: $96.00
3 used & new from $3.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good and nice for flexible bottles., April 15, 2015
1. This is listed as a 24-pack, but I received ONE 3-pack of filters. To the seller's (Coalburn) credit, they fixed it without fuss; although, it's been over a month and it's still listed as a 24-pack. The price listed has gone up substantially, and it's a different seller, so maybe this is actually for a 24-pack. Just a heads-up.
2. The filters are pretty good. They are like silky tea bags of charcoal "sand" that you can put in any bottle of water (especially great for "flexible bottles" like the vapur bottles or possibly hydration packs). They're prolly not going to freshen really funky water (and are certainly not true filters, and definitely not purifiers), but they do help to freshen water that isn't quite totally tasteless. I used them for my trip to India to help the water in my bottle stay extra fresh (I filled it with bottled water, but couldn't wash it as much as I'd like). Could have just been my awesome Vapur bottle, but I went the whole month with the same bottle and didn't have any funky water whatsoever. Good stuff.

Salazon Chocolate Organic Sea Salt & Caramel Dark Chocolate - 3 oz
Salazon Chocolate Organic Sea Salt & Caramel Dark Chocolate - 3 oz
3 used & new from $52.99

2.0 out of 5 stars new bars not as good as previous, April 11, 2015
This may be the most painful review I've ever written...

My hubby and I found these bars a year or more ago and have been buying them (this flavor, and others) consistently ever since. They are (have been) much better than all other "better" chocolate bars we've tried (and we've tried most of them - I even toured the only single-origin organic chocolate factory in Italy).

I favor this flavor, and my hubby favors their coffee flavored bar. We are very happy they are organic, dark, RA certified, and help support a charity. We like the cool, outdoorsy photos on the bars, as well.

Shortly after we started buying them, it seemed like Salazon reduced the amount of caramel inside the bar. All else was the same, so we didn't mind too much. After all, their chocolate, itself, was the smoothest and tastiest we'd found. And, that's before the salt and caramel (YUM.) are added to the mix.

Then, with our last purchase, we found that they made the bars SMALLER (from 3 oz to 2.75 oz), but the cost was the same. At first, we were irritated (and sad), but we figured hey, as long as the inside is still the same, then maybe it's a good thing they're "limiting" our intake. Unfortunately, this is not the case. They have also messed up the ratio of caramel to chocolate in the wrong direction. They increased the thickness of the chocolate on the edge and in certain places on the imprint ("continents") and now it seems as if there's less caramel-to-chocolate in the mix. (see photo of NEW bar) This reduced surface area also makes it seem like there's less salt sprinkled on the bar, too. The salt is reportedly "hand sprinkled", so maybe I just got a scant one, but the Sodium reported in the Nutrition Facts has gone from 201mg to 110mg, so maybe they have in fact also reduced the amount of salt by almost half. (I have uploaded the NEW Nutrition Facts label, as the one currently on Amazon is old) This increase in edge thickness also makes the bar much less "melt in your mouth", causing you to have to chew it a bit to achieve the same mouth feel as before. In addition, they have changed the shape (again?) of the mold, and have effectively eliminated the sectioning that used to break into nice, fairly even "pieces". Albeit, the map relief is cool, but honestly, it comes "face down" in the wrapper and I never flip it over to look at the full bar, anyway. Who cares what it looks like - I enjoy this bar for the other senses it appeals to. The molded "pieces" used to be a good size to fit singly in your mouth (possibly even better in their earlier days), but now the "breaks" are bigger, so the smaller bar gives you even less "mouth mileage". And, along with the increased chocolate thickness, makes for a much less pleasant sensation when savoring the flavor/texture.

Salazon, in your description, you report that the bar is less calories than others. Well, now it's 17 less calories than it was before, it's SMALLER (by 7 grams / almost 9% smaller) and has half the sodium. Also, there's 1 gram less each of Fat, Sugar, & Fiber. Oh, and the new shape makes it a much less enjoyable indulgence. Humph.

I used to have to exert immense self-control to only eat 2 or 3 pieces in a sitting. Now, it seems as if I have to force myself to eat one piece, period.

So, thank you Salazon. You have effectively ruined for me an almost perfect chocolate bar. A bar that was in my grocery cart every time the store had it in stock. A bar that we would buy multiples of to ensure we always had at least one on hand. A bar that served as my only chocolate ration in the house. A bar that, even though it was expensive, we'd always make room for in the budget. My tongue may be broken-hearted, but my hips and wallet can rejoice. oh, yay.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Salazon Organic Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt & Caramel, 3 Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)
Offered by Med Therapies
Price: $53.88
4 used & new from $43.05

2.0 out of 5 stars New bar may help me lose weight!, April 11, 2015
This may be the most painful review I've ever written...

Comment Comment | Permalink