Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for MariaSmiles > Reviews

Browse

MariaSmiles' Profile

Customer Reviews: 235
Top Reviewer Ranking: 652

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MariaSmiles RSS Feed
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pocket Hitch Measuring Tape Holder
Pocket Hitch Measuring Tape Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-profile, durable protection, May 11, 2016
This review is from: Pocket Hitch Measuring Tape Holder
Hubby uses this for work, he says "I like it". His previous one, a flat nylon one, was really great, but after a year or two of use, it fell apart. (But still protected his $$ work pants & leather belt). We needed a more durable one and, at first, bought a different leather one, but that stuck out too far.

This one is the (almost) perfect solution! Durable leather and flat profile. It clips onto his belt (the nylon one had to be slid). He hopes that it maintains the same good grip on his belt it has now.

The only slight con would be that, because it's hard leather, he can't wear it in the exact position where he'd prefer to (it digs into his hip). But, he just slides it to the back a little and that works fine.

He uses several measuring tapes on this, his main one being 25'.

We rely on reviews to help us make informed decisions. We hope this review helps you :)

Fired Up Heated Hoodies, Fuchsia, X-Large
Fired Up Heated Hoodies, Fuchsia, X-Large
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and cozy for chilly nights or sore backs, May 11, 2016
Super cozy! Great for chilly nights or sore backs! Fit is men's style, but not crazy baggy. Materials are high quality. Zippers on pockets is a nice touch. I interacted with the company (FiredUpX) on a few occassions and found them to be responsive and helpful.

There was a slight odor when it first arrived. I'm thinking it was from the screenprint, but it has dissipated. I'm sensitive, so others might not notice it. Also, the "nylon liner" inside takes a little getting used to (like 5 mins, but again, I'm sensitive). That's the technical part of the hoodie, with the wires and whatnot, and is the part that gets removed for washing. The power button is permanently attached to the outer (cozy, pink) layer and is washable.

I'm so happy I splurged and bought this. Makes cold temps less dreadful and I think it even saves on my heating bill (I wear it around the house to keep me warm, instead of heating up the whole place). I like that it's cotton, like a soft hoodie. It really is super cozy, even without the heat. Relaxes my back and even eases my anxiety. That sounds crazy, but sometimes I get super tense and cold and this really helps release that feeling. I'm definitely a FIr (far infrared) fan!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

Coolibar UPF 50+ Women's Ultra Sun Hat - Sun Protective
Coolibar UPF 50+ Women's Ultra Sun Hat - Sun Protective

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome hat for amazing adventures, May 2, 2016
Excellent trekking hat!!! It's light, durable, looks great after many miles of hiking, biking, and even white water rafting (wore it under my helmet)! Even holds up to packing, and being stuffed in a hot trunk!

Protects front and rear and even full-on face, if you're brave enough to wear the awesome face shield. Packs well, takes bumps and folds well. Even looks great after gettting wet (ice, wet washcloth, and also river water). Protects great and is breatheable. Long hair can get a little snagged in the chin strap clips (it's removable via clips), but it's not a major issue.

The brim might be bigger than is fashionable (i wouldnt know), but i love that it offers such awesome protection! The back flap in place of a back brim helps when wearing a helmet on top or when wearing in a car (as a passenger), or other situation where a back brim would be uncomfortable or even dangerous.

This is my favorite hat!

Thanks, Coolibar!!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you! :)

Coolibar UPF 50+ Women's Shapeable Sun Catcher Hat - Sun Protective
Coolibar UPF 50+ Women's Shapeable Sun Catcher Hat - Sun Protective
Offered by Coolibar Sun Protective Clothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but wrinkled easily, May 2, 2016
I bought this in 2015, in white with navy. It looks like that color is no longer available and the stitching looks different, so they may have changed the hat. I bought several Coolibar hats and this was the only one that creased badly when folded, even in the slightest. It even arrived creased, although packed flat. I still have the others and are very happy with them.

Overall, I've been immensely happy with Coolibar's items, but this was sent back. If you order it, and are concerned about wrinkling, just make sure you're happy before it's too late to return it. (&, feel free to comment here to let us know if this aspect has been updated for the current year).

I did really like the fit and squared brim shape, as well as the feel of the materials and the light on top / dark underneath coloring. I'm very careful with my things, but I also love to travel and foresaw this hat looking pretty beat-up faster than I'd hope, especially for the cost.

Nokia Lumia 635 Case, CoverBot Nokia Lumia 635 Flip Wallet Case with Stand BLUE. Slim Style with Folio Flip Cover
Offered by HandHelditems
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Uselessly Fragile - bummer, March 7, 2016
We bought two of these in blue. Well, we originally bought one. But then it broke, so we bought another one. Which also broke, within a week.

The black plastic "tray" that holds the phone is a very fragile plastic that does not hold up well, at all. Once that breaks, the phone falls out and the case is useless.

Otherwise, the blue part is nice. We liked that it was slim and didn't "bulk up" the phone. This case also helps the user to have a better grip on the phone, as its "uncased" sides are slippery and at an unfortunate angle.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you.

MR. SIGA Soft Bristle Toilet Brush with Holder
MR. SIGA Soft Bristle Toilet Brush with Holder
Offered by Mr SIGA USA
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $7.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Someone got smart about the design of a toilet brush!, March 7, 2016
Ugh! I've been looking for a good toilet brush for years! I hate the nylon kind that scratch porcelain and create little lines in the bowl. I also dislike that they don't seem to last very long and that's a LOT of plastic to throw away. I bought a biodegradable pumice cleaner with a handle and that was awful, too. Lasted ONE use! And, I really like the brushes that can clean under the rim and can conform to the curves of the bowl. And, don't get me started on the brushes that SIT in their containers, keeping them wet with toilet water (yes, it should be clean toilet water, but still, ew.)

Yes, I'm picky about my brushes! And, I think I've finally found one I LOVE!

The "bristles" are a rubbery material that conform well, wipe well, and squish down enough to get into the nooks and crannies. The rim-cleaning edge works great. There's no metal to rust or bend in unfortunate ways, The handle is stiff and comfortable and durable. The holder actually hides the dirty parts (when turned "away") and allows for the brush to hang dry. And, the color combination is nice - looks clean, and even a bit cheery.

My three wishes would be, in order of priority:
1. made from recycled materials and recyclable (or, somehow biodegradable)
2. ability to just buy the brush alone, sans the holder (that should wear out much less)
3. different colors (maybe a nice green bottom or neutral tan)

With three toilets in the house, and water that mysteriously and quickly turns the bowl (& sinks and the shower floors) all sorts of colors we've never seen before, in any house, we're grateful to finally find a good brush we're happy with.

I rely on reviews to help me make buying decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

Cover-Up #WoodBack Real Wood Matt Black Case for iPhone 5 / 5s - Cedar
Cover-Up #WoodBack Real Wood Matt Black Case for iPhone 5 / 5s - Cedar
Offered by Cover-Up
Price: $26.00
3 used & new from $26.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Sleek-looking case with questionable durability, March 7, 2016
I really wanted to love this case. I'd been looking for a wood case for my 5s, and when the opportunity arose to receive one for the purpose of review, I was very excited. I chose the cedar in the hopes it would be aromatic, plus, I really loved the look. I prefer a case that's slimmer, and maintains as much of the sleekness of the phone, without sacrificing too much of the protection of a good case.

My dealings with the company were FANTASTIC. Their emails were clear and concise, helpful, and they responded quickly to my few questions. So, for that, they get FIVE STARS.

The case fit fairly well, there was a minuscule bit of a difference on the front between the left and right sides (see photo), but it was maybe a "hair" off. The metal of the phone in the background made it more visible, but it was probably only visible to me. Not everyone will notice it. If you have visual OCD, it would probably bother you, too.

The buttons and ports were wide open (see photo) and accessible, although it took a little getting used to, from my other cases (pong & Body Glove), which cover more of the phone (buttons, top line, bottom line). This case taught me that it's easier for my use to have a case that covers the buttons, and have a bit of a larger hole for the "silence' switch. This is a personal preference, so not a determination in the rating.

Also, the front rails (glass side) of the case don't protrude as much as I'd prefer (best seen in "top view" photo). I don't like a large protrusion (which hurts when handling or using the phone against the face/ear), however, this one had barely any. This means that if I were to place it face-down (like in a meeting, etc), there's more possibility of the screen touching the surface, and picking up dirt/scratches, etc. In its defense, I do have a glass screen protector, which raises the surface slightly. So, this point was not a determination in my rating.

The sides (black) were a suedey-soft plastic and had a nice feel. They weren't too slippery, but also not too grippy; so, it was easy to slide into a tight pocket and didn't collect lint. Unfortunately, the edges at the bottom were sharp and didn't feel so great in certain hand positions. I also was concerned that repeated exposure would cause pulling or holes in my pockets; especially the back pants pocket where the case is often held tightly by the material. This suedey part would also show oils really quickly, and since I use olive oil as a moisturizer, it almost always had streaks/prints on it (can be somewhat seen in side view photo). I thought the fact I used oil would be good, since the back is wood, but this benefit didn't jive with the rest of the case's surfaces.

Another negative (but one that's not necessarily the fault of the case) is that I can't really sanitize this case as rigorously as I prefer. My other cases get wiped with alcohol several times per week and hold up well. I was very hesitant to do that with this case, due to the materials. On the other hand, wood has some inherent anti-bacterial properties over plastic, so it's not a huge problem. I do like to wipe the screen with alcohol, regardless (I didn't have my alcohol near me when taking photos).

The wood, itself, is beautiful and soft to the touch and well-finished (see photo). So, five stars for the wood, and two stars for the design and feel of the black parts.

Unfortunately, though, none of this really matters, as the case broke within the first few weeks of use. This case was never dropped, I only put it on once and didn't take it off (until it broke), and I'm very careful with my things. My things generally don't break (or even wear out), even after extended use. I have no kids or pets and am the only one who uses the phone. What's even weirder, is that the piece the broke off literally broke off in my hand, while I was laying in bed, perusing the interwebs. It was the oddest thing. I wasn't even moving, and hadn't moved for a few minutes. A chunk of the bottom black part just fell off the case (see photo of bottom corner). I've never seen anything like it. I was really bummed, as I otherwise was fairly happy with the case and, after the first 30-day trial-run, I was planning to use it as my "fancy" case for meetings and to match my black pants, but then switch to my more rugged Body Glove case for my "daily driver".

Technically, the case is still usable, however, the part that's left is now even sharper than before. Plus, I'm concerned about the rest of it breaking off and, certainly question the level of protection provided by the remaining pieces. Back to my Body Glove I go.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. Your mileage may vary, but I hope this review helps you :)

Item reviewed: Cover-Up #WoodBack Real Wood Matt Black Case for iPhone 5 / 5s - Cedar

~maria
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 7:34 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Cables have a seemingly toxic stench, February 8, 2016
Cool concept but the (toxic?) stench coming off of these cables makes it impossible for me to use them with peace of mind. Touching them is like touching scary hazmat! Even after a month of bathing them in the sun (the term is used loosely these days), which usually helps to quell stenchy items, there's been no reduction in the offending odor.

Game of Thrones - House Tyrell - Men's T-Shirt (X-Large)
Game of Thrones - House Tyrell - Men's T-Shirt (X-Large)
Offered by huanglei
Price: $12.66
4 used & new from $12.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice tee, but STINKS & BLEEDS TEAL!!, January 17, 2016
Warning!! STINKS like a tire store and BLEEDS TEAL like crazy!! Otherwise, a nice tee shirt, fits well, reasonably soft, comes w/"licensed" GOT/HBO tag, screen print is "worn looking" (intentional?).

The smell is so strong, I couldn't even take this out of the bag at first! I had to wash it immediately and it's a good thing I rinsed it first - check the photos!! I wanted to use the water to dye other suff - it's much prettier than the pics show, but it made me itch. Seriously. I had to use a screwdriver to pull the drainplug so i wouldn't touch the water again! After rinsing for two days (photos taken in beginning of rinse), then washing twice, the smell seems to have been removed. I tried it on (briefly) when it first arrived, but I haven't worn it yet - honestly, I'm a bit afraid of the potential itch. But, if you're not (at all) sensitive to smell or itch, you might not have an issue with this tee. Regardless, be sure to wash with caution.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope you found this review helpful :)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Diabetic No Show Socks for Men and Women - Perfect for Spring - Moisture Wicking, Copper Infused Socks That Kills 99.9% Bacteria with Antimicrobial Fabric
Offered by Clicks Depot
Price: $9.97

4.0 out of 5 stars After a month with these socks, here are my findings, December 4, 2015
Copper socks, huh? Might not be so crazy after all. The copper is pretty interesting and the claims they make (anti-microbial, improves circulation, etc) are attractive. But, are they good SOCKS??

Here's my experience:

- thick feeling bottom, without being bulky
- feels very soft on the inside, to my feet
- durable so far (four weeks of wearing around the house, at least a few hours every day w/o shoes, plus several cold-water washings / low dry tumblings, with no fabric softener other than vinegar) - see photos
- copper threading runs from tops of toes through mid-heel wall (good if the copper is beneficial)
- comfy area of "arch support" mid-foot, that's just the right amount of "squeeze" (and I have a high instep)
- fit my Women's 10-10.5 / 41 EU foot fairly well. They could possibly go up a size or two, as there's some extra sock fabric in the heel when I wear them, but I think that would make them thinner on the bottom. Might be good for men wearing dress shoes.
- the collar isn't too tight (it's a bit snug and prolly too snug for people with swollen ankles, or anyone with a 10.75" or larger ankle), but not as snug as the bulk ankle socks/footies bought at chain stores
- nicely padded area at Achilles tendon
- I'm ok that they say "clicks" on the top, kinda reflects my inner geek
- no electric static shocks yet (but it's not deep winter yet, either)
- I don't ordinarily have "swamp foot" or smelly feet, and my feet haven't had any odor nor toes any fungus when wearing these, so that's good (copper is proven to be anti-microbial, so that's also good) - makes me think I could wear these "barefoot" in a hotel, then again, maybe not (i'm picky about those sorts of things)
- they claim to be anti-inflammatory, which is great for those with inflammation-caused pain, I don't have that so I can't evaluate whether that claim is true, however, my feet never ache in them, so that's a good sign.
- regarding the better circulation, my feet do feel warmer in these, but that could be from the fabric, too. No way for me to really tell, other than I feel no adverse effects when wearing them.

I only wear these without shoes, as my "slippers" around the house. But, I've worn them many times, and sometimes, for hours at a time, without shoes. In other socks, my feet would get a bit cold and a bit uncomfortable after walking in "barefeet" up and down stairs, etc for several hours. These don't seem to have that issue. They are currently my FAVORITE socks to wear around the house, and when I get home, I can't wait to take off my (comfortable) shoes and slip into these, (very comfortable) socks.

If you're wondering why I nicked a star, there were a few small concerns:
- I think they should offer these in a smaller size and a larger size (instead of the one size available when I ordered). Fortunately, I have quite large feet for a woman, so it worked out, but (unless I pull them up) they are not snug on my feet and that might be troublesome had I chosen to wear these in shoes.
- In addition, since they are currently marketing these as "diabetic socks" (they were marketed as "running socks" when I bought mine), I think the ankle collar opening should be wider, or with a somewhat thicker band, as I believe one of the issues that diabetics have is swelling / edema.
- also, the fabric has "pilled" a bit. It's really minor and doesn't affect much, but makes the sock look a little messy, especially when the tops find some white lint to get groovy with. See photos. The threading seems to be all intact.

My photos are of the socks after several wearings and washings (as well as two of them packaged).

I'm hoping the copper claims are true and, although I was originally offered these at a discount for the purposes of review, I look forward to buying more Clicks socks in the future, especially if they offer a smaller size. I've bought several other sock brands in the recent past and it's not easy to find the combination of quality and comfort that I've found in these (especially with a lifetime warranty!)

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review was helpful to you in some way :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2015 12:46 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20