Profile for MariaSmiles > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 490

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MariaSmiles RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mr. Ellie Pooh Elephant Dung Paper Card Stock, Robin's Egg Blue (CS-Light Blue)
Mr. Ellie Pooh Elephant Dung Paper Card Stock, Robin's Egg Blue (CS-Light Blue)
Price: $22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars We all dug the dung, May 1, 2015
I used 4 packs of these for my wedding invitations. I printed directly on them using a large office laser printer, then cut them, and shaped the corners. All handling (printing/cutting/shaping) response was appropriate for the method & the medium.

Individual sheets varied in thickness from one to the next - not enough to affect printing, but enough to notice the difference. I liked that aspect, but that's my personal preference. These papers are a bit thicker than typical papers so you cut fewer at once.

There are "pieces" of things in the paper (bits of straw and other "elephant treats"), some sheets had very small holes, and the color varied a bit (I believe the packs I got had been stored in the sun, as there was some obvious shelf fading). This was in early 2014 and they were out of stock for a while, so this fading may no longer be an issue. It only bothered me a little.

Ink disbursement on them can be somewhat inconsistent, due to the uneven surface and "natural effects" listed above. I was able to use all prints, and I preferred the natural/organic look for my wedding. If you're considering using these papers, I'm guessing you like that look, too.

I loved the eco-friendliness, and the unique-ness of the paper. In some places, it has somewhat of a soft "hand feel", kind of like a natural felt.

Oh, and people really dug the dung aspect!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed product decisions. I hope this review was helpful to you :)

Natural Seal Spray On Invisible Bandage for cuts, scrapes, burns, rashes eczema & more, 1 oz
Offered by Express Health
Price: $11.08
7 used & new from $10.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for eczema where others failed, April 19, 2015
I happened upon this option while looking for more natural "bandages". I was intrigued by the claims to heal eczema and so I bought a bottle. I had an awfully stubborn patch on my palm that wasn't responding well to the other natural remedies I'd tried (that do work well for other things). I began to see improvement within the first two days. Four days later, the patch was almost history. I couldn't believe how well this worked, but I'm thankful!

Yes, it smells funky, kind of like bad plastic, and it looks like watery milk, and it's a bit runny when you first spray it, and you have to rinse the nozzle after you use it to keep it clear, but all that is so worth it to me, as none of those are as bothersome as the eczema that I dealt with for months, and was healed in a few days with the Natural Seal.

Many thanks to the woman who invented it and put in the market. Thank you for your ingenuity and gusto!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions. I hope you also found this review helpful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2015 12:39 PM PDT

Vapur Shake Filter (3-Pack), White
Vapur Shake Filter (3-Pack), White
Offered by Forza Sports
Price: $6.25
4 used & new from $2.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresher water, flexible "filter", April 15, 2015

Bonus, they are individually-wrapped (like tea bags) so you can toss one in your day pack and leave the others back at "base". The packaging claims up to 50 uses. The challenge is finding a spot to hold a wet, in-use one when you are cleaning the bottle in the field. I held mine between my teeth.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

Vapur Shake Water Filter (24-Pack)
Vapur Shake Water Filter (24-Pack)
Price: $96.00
2 used & new from $95.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good and nice for flexible bottles., April 15, 2015
1. This is listed as a 24-pack, but I received ONE 3-pack of filters. To the seller's (Coalburn) credit, they fixed it without fuss; although, it's been over a month and it's still listed as a 24-pack. The price listed has gone up substantially, and it's a different seller, so maybe this is actually for a 24-pack. Just a heads-up.
2. The filters are pretty good. They are like silky tea bags of charcoal "sand" that you can put in any bottle of water (especially great for "flexible bottles" like the vapur bottles or possibly hydration packs). They're prolly not going to freshen really funky water (and are certainly not true filters, and definitely not purifiers), but they do help to freshen water that isn't quite totally tasteless. I used them for my trip to India to help the water in my bottle stay extra fresh (I filled it with bottled water, but couldn't wash it as much as I'd like). Could have just been my awesome Vapur bottle, but I went the whole month with the same bottle and didn't have any funky water whatsoever. Good stuff.

Salazon Chocolate Organic Sea Salt & Caramel Dark Chocolate - 3 oz
Salazon Chocolate Organic Sea Salt & Caramel Dark Chocolate - 3 oz
Offered by Earth's Supply Specialties
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $4.09

2.0 out of 5 stars new bars not as good as previous, April 11, 2015
This may be the most painful review I've ever written...

My hubby and I found these bars a year or more ago and have been buying them (this flavor, and others) consistently ever since. They are (have been) much better than all other "better" chocolate bars we've tried (and we've tried most of them - I even toured the only single-origin organic chocolate factory in Italy).

I favor this flavor, and my hubby favors their coffee flavored bar. We are very happy they are organic, dark, RA certified, and help support a charity. We like the cool, outdoorsy photos on the bars, as well.

Shortly after we started buying them, it seemed like Salazon reduced the amount of caramel inside the bar. All else was the same, so we didn't mind too much. After all, their chocolate, itself, was the smoothest and tastiest we'd found. And, that's before the salt and caramel (YUM.) are added to the mix.

Then, with our last purchase, we found that they made the bars SMALLER (from 3 oz to 2.75 oz), but the cost was the same. At first, we were irritated (and sad), but we figured hey, as long as the inside is still the same, then maybe it's a good thing they're "limiting" our intake. Unfortunately, this is not the case. They have also messed up the ratio of caramel to chocolate in the wrong direction. They increased the thickness of the chocolate on the edge and in certain places on the imprint ("continents") and now it seems as if there's less caramel-to-chocolate in the mix. (see photo of NEW bar) This reduced surface area also makes it seem like there's less salt sprinkled on the bar, too. The salt is reportedly "hand sprinkled", so maybe I just got a scant one, but the Sodium reported in the Nutrition Facts has gone from 201mg to 110mg, so maybe they have in fact also reduced the amount of salt by almost half. (I have uploaded the NEW Nutrition Facts label, as the one currently on Amazon is old) This increase in edge thickness also makes the bar much less "melt in your mouth", causing you to have to chew it a bit to achieve the same mouth feel as before. In addition, they have changed the shape (again?) of the mold, and have effectively eliminated the sectioning that used to break into nice, fairly even "pieces". Albeit, the map relief is cool, but honestly, it comes "face down" in the wrapper and I never flip it over to look at the full bar, anyway. Who cares what it looks like - I enjoy this bar for the other senses it appeals to. The molded "pieces" used to be a good size to fit singly in your mouth (possibly even better in their earlier days), but now the "breaks" are bigger, so the smaller bar gives you even less "mouth mileage". And, along with the increased chocolate thickness, makes for a much less pleasant sensation when savoring the flavor/texture.

Salazon, in your description, you report that the bar is less calories than others. Well, now it's 17 less calories than it was before, it's SMALLER (by 7 grams / almost 9% smaller) and has half the sodium. Also, there's 1 gram less each of Fat, Sugar, & Fiber. Oh, and the new shape makes it a much less enjoyable indulgence. Humph.

I used to have to exert immense self-control to only eat 2 or 3 pieces in a sitting. Now, it seems as if I have to force myself to eat one piece, period.

So, thank you Salazon. You have effectively ruined for me an almost perfect chocolate bar. A bar that was in my grocery cart every time the store had it in stock. A bar that we would buy multiples of to ensure we always had at least one on hand. A bar that served as my only chocolate ration in the house. A bar that, even though it was expensive, we'd always make room for in the budget. My tongue may be broken-hearted, but my hips and wallet can rejoice. oh, yay.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Salazon Organic Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt & Caramel, 3 Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)
Offered by Med Therapies
Price: $52.33
3 used & new from $42.55

2.0 out of 5 stars New bar may help me lose weight!, April 11, 2015
This may be the most painful review I've ever written...

Comment Comment | Permalink

Secret World of Wellness Ancient India
Secret World of Wellness Ancient India
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars In-Depth introduction to Ayurveda and a variety of treatments/research, March 2, 2015
I found this very interesting and well-done. While I already had a background in some of the topics highlighted, I still learned quite a bit, and would benefit from a second-watching. It was an in-depth introduction of Ayurveda and focused on several specific treatments, as well as the history and potential future of this "long life" form of well-being. If you're at all interested in alternative (non-western/pharmaceutical) or complimentary "medicine", I recommend watching this video.

HP 16-Inch Notebook Sleeve - Black Stream Pattern
HP 16-Inch Notebook Sleeve - Black Stream Pattern

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, Protects Nicely, Great Function!!, March 2, 2015
Fits either one of two of my HP Laptops perfectly, plus, I can stash a mouse or Ethernet cable, etc in the pocket. I mostly use it inside another bag, but purposely bought one with a handle, as I do occasionally carry it on its own (sometimes, as a laptop case, sometimes, as a notebook case.)

I love the short-side loading, as my computer bag is "vertical" and my laptop slides right into this sleeve, already inside the bag. The zipper works great - no snags and is still in great condition.

The inner surface of this sleeve is soft and fleecy and has done a great job (since 2011) of helping to keep my laptops looking new.

The stream pattern is nice, in that it gives a little bit of style, without sacrificing "professionalism".

Highly recommended!!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions, I hope this review was helpful to you! :)

Leafware Natural Palm Leaf Square 9 Inch Dinner Plate, 25 Count
Leafware Natural Palm Leaf Square 9 Inch Dinner Plate, 25 Count
Offered by Etailz
Price: $25.29
8 used & new from $22.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest disposable thing to eat off of, February 26, 2015
I've tried several different styles/shapes/sizes/forms/raw materials of alternative disposable plates and these are my absolute favorite. We've used them in hotel rooms, and we even used them for our 150-person wedding reception. They were probably a bit more sturdy than we needed, as we just had small bites but I liked their style. Some guests even took theirs home!

When considering size, if they are truly 9 inches, they might compare more to a 7 or 8" plate, as the shape kind of "bowls" (which is really great for saucy things, or for food that tends to roll around). They have been the perfect size for any meal I've used them for (not too big, not too small, just the right balance of curve and flat center). They are very sturdy, and hold up to water/moisture/sauce quite well (we even rinse them off and re-use them a few times, when travelling). They are so sturdy, in fact, that I often feel bad throwing them away after just one fairly dry use. They are compostable, however, so that's a bonus (we composted all of the ones used at our wedding - along with the cups, napkins, and utensils). If you microwave them, they won't get super hot, they won't deteriorate right away, and they probably won't leach nasty chemicals into your food.

Note that the color/pattern is VERY "organic" in that EACH one is different, and sometimes, VERY different (many have dark brown veins/splotches/patches). Like a snowflake, no two are the same. The photo they're showing now is one of the more plain ones I've seen. So, if you're looking for an even-colored or pale-colored plate, you'd have to pick-and-choose from a batch to get what you want. I like the various colors (I dig the "natural" look AND it makes it easier to recognize "your" plate!)

The "feel" of these plates is also "organic". Some have very noticeable, thin ridges (further security for free-wheelin' food), some are a little rougher on the back (where your hand or table goes), but never any splinters or anything like that. Some bamboo plates we've gotten had those. From what I can tell, these plates are made from one piece of palm-thing, so you don't have to worry about adhesives or the plate falling apart/leaking. Also, I have a friend with an aversion to cardboard, even paper plates, and she was fine with these.

They stack securely, but not tightly, so they will take up much more space than a stack of another, more uniformly-shaped plate. This does make them easier to grab, as a single. They do not stick together. They are also fairly thick in material, maybe 1-2mm - but again, this varies, as the raw material is "organic" (in the "natural shape" sense; but I doubt there's pesticides, either). They're not as eco-friendly to transport - as mine came in a huge box (seriously, be prepared for like a 2-3 foot cube for 400 plates), and the plates were wrapped in plastic, inside the box. Maybe 25 plates per wrap? There wasn't much space left over at all in the box, as the plates took up most of it. They fared well in transport, no broken plates or anything like that.

The company claims these are harvested from fallen palm leaves and my hubby and I questioned if this is really true. Well, soon after, we happened to visit a Palm Grove Rainforest and yes, thousands of these palm-leaf things had naturally fallen to the ground and covered it in a thick carpet. Of course, we also questioned the harm that picking them up in large quantities would do (aren't they needed, in order to decompose, and help nourish the new plants...etc. but, surely, they're much more environmentally-friendly than anything that has to be "made" - these are simply cut and "formed").

The company also makes smaller ones and ones in different shapes - we used a few smaller ones for some decorations, and we used the heart ones for dessert - they were perfect for a few mini-cupcakes and some cookies. YUM!

Yes, these are considerably more expensive than your typical paper plate, but they are also considerably much cooler and considerably better for the environment. After our wedding, people were talking about the cool plates as much as they raved about the food!

HIGHLY Recommended!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review was helpful to you :)

Rio Gear Big Guy Backpack Chair, Blue
Rio Gear Big Guy Backpack Chair, Blue
Price: $52.73
8 used & new from $44.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Roomy chair, quite wide to carry/transport, February 26, 2015
I was looking for a sturdy, durable, low-to-the-ground chair that's easy to carry. While this does tick all those boxes, it's quite huge and dwarfed me if I carried it on my back. I'm 5'2". It was kind of comical. Yes, they do provide the size in the listing, but it's not always easy to tell what the "real life" space-utilization is. And, I've seen other "big"-labeled things that were actually just "normal"-sized (as in, normal-American-size), but bigger than more typical, smaller "european-" or "chinese"-sized products. They need to have another photo that shows it in comparison to other things. Remember that that 27" width doesn't fold down to any less when you've got to carry it or put it in your car.

While I was looking for a roomy, low chair, I didn't need quite a large one. If you do need a chair with this width (27" wide, according to the description, and that does include the arms, but they're not those crazy wide sling/quad-chair arms, so the seat is quite wide, itself), then this is a good choice, as it's not super bulky where it doesn't need to be. Still, as it was too wide for my purposes, I returned mine and bought a chair that better suited my seating, stowing, and toting preferences.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20