Profile for MariaSmiles > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 649

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MariaSmiles RSS Feed (here)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Pix-Star 15 Inch Wi-Fi Cloud Digital Photo Frame FotoConnect XD with Email, Web Albums, iPhone & Android app, Web Radio, DLNA and more (Black)
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Beautiful Frame Backed By a Customer-centered Company! Details..., January 24, 2015
I'm a fan of Pix-Star frames, I have several. The 10.4" ones are great, but the 15" is a BEAUTY to behold! I mounted mine on a tilt-swivel Amazon Basics TV wall mount in my kitchen. It's GORGEOUS and my pics look great! This is a BIG frame and works great for vast landscape photos, or high-quality "people & pets" pics. It has a higher resolution than other frames, so if you have lower-res images, they might not look smooth on this frame, if you stretch them. I never stretch my images, so the lower-res ones I have just show up smaller on the display, with black space around them. Perfect for my needs.

All of the pix-star frames I own offer good image quality, generous viewing angles, frequent firmware updates (easy via wi-fi) and lots of good features, (timer modes, calendar options, transition options, web radio, remote, etc) in addition to the big draw: wi-fi capabilities & connection to dozens of web album platforms (facebook, picasa, zenfolio, flickr, etc.). I am an "enthusiast-level" photographer and am very picky about viewing my images. Pix-star delivers. Love that I can so easily display my images and manage them from anywhere in the world, as long as the frame has wi-fi access. I often travel and send my photos, while travelling, to loved ones' frames back home. We are not a facebook family, so it's nice for them to be able to view my travels, as they are happening. In addition, they like that they can send and receive pics without needing a computer or a smartphone! They can send directly from the frame, or take a pic with a camera, put the SD card in the frame, and then email it anywhere they want. Easy! Images can also be easily emailed TO the frame (from anything with email access, including smartphones, and another frame) And, with the new iOS app, images can be selected from apple devices and sent to any linked frame.

I also like that via web-synced albums (such as with Picasa), I can edit photos on my computer and, once synced, they are automatically edited on the frame, saves me from having to delete and upload everytime I make an adjustment.

Now, for birthdays, instead of buying more gifts and giving people more "stuff", I just upload a new batch of pics to their frame - people love it! Sometimes, I even create little messages for them and send that!

And, VERY high praise for the Pix-Star support team! It is rare to find such 5-star support on an electronic device in this day-and-age.

Yes, this frame might be pricier than other wi-fi frames, but the service you receive is well worth it! This frame is quite easy to set-up and manage. But, if you have questions, the company is very responsive.

The frame has built-in speakers, but if you want, you can hook up external speakers (via 3.5mm audio cable) for even better sound. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you can make a bluetooth setup happen, if you attach a bluetooth transmitter device to the 3.5mm jack and use speakers that are automatically paired to that transmitter. I have some bluetooth headphones that are like this, they will only pair with their own transmitter, that you can plug into an audio-producing device.

A few things to note on newer vs older frames:

-Plastic Frame-
The newer frames (10.4 & 15") have a shiny black gloss plastic frame around the screen, while the older frames had a matte black plastic frame. I prefer the matte (personal preference for matte, in general), but the gloss is well-done.

-Remote Port-
The newer frames have a "cut-out" area (looks like a little speaker) for the remote "reception port", where the older frames had a solid "window". Again, I do prefer the older, solid style, but maybe the new one allows for a better range of reception?

-Included Remote-
The newer frames have a beefier remote, with actual, cushy buttons and requiring AAA batteries (included!). The older frames had the "credit card" style remote, with flatter buttons, and the "disc / watch" batteries (also included!). I liked the slimmer profile of the old remote, but the AAA batteries are easier to replace for the rare time you'll need to do that (or, better yet: we use rechargables), and the new buttons may be easier for some hands to push effectively. The new remote has a great operating angle, as well, allowing communication from a wide variety of angles. It seems as if the remotes are all on the same "frequency", so my newer remotes operate my older frames. Good if you just want to use one remote for all your frames and if you prefer one remote style over another. Bad if you want to individually control one frame that is in close proximity to another (fix for this: simply cover the remote window/IR port of the other frame while you are using the remote).

-Firmware/Features-
Also, the older frames seem to have a limit on how far the firmware updates go, and the new frames seem to be on a different firmware update track. Some features now available with the newer frames (additional timers, viewing options, transitions, video playback, etc) do not seem to be available on the older frames (and vice-versa - there was a transition mode I preferred on the older frame, that is not available on the newer ones - I'll email the company and see what they say). In addition, the transitions on the older frames were a bit "smoother", and they are a bit more "active" on the newer ones. I prefer the older, slower, smoother ones, but the newer, faster, bouncier ones are more "current", and possibly more popular.

Yes, there are many things I liked about the older frames that are gone with the newer frames, but honestly, I wouldn't even miss them, had I not owned so many of the older style in the first place. Plus, the major features (excellent image quality, wi-fi capabilities, web albums syncing, and customer service/support) are still there, in abundance, so the nits I could pick for that wouldn't even dock a star, comparatively.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend Pix-Star and I LOVE my GORGEOUS, HUGE 15" wi-fi frame!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

The One Year Women in Christian History Devotional: Daily Inspirations from God's Work in the Lives of Women
by Randy Petersen
Price: $10.90
47 used & new from $9.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stories, nice balance of religion, history, & and girl-power., January 24, 2015
I bought several of these as gifts for women of varying levels of religious devotion. They all have enjoyed the book and appreciate the variety in stories and background info on the many women highlighted in the book. I am not an especially religious person, myself, but I thought this book was a nice in-between for me and the most devoutly religious women in my life. I like that the stories are in-depth enough to give you a good perspective on the events, while also being brief enough to allow for a quick read and pondering over tea, etc.

Birkis clogs Active-Birki in size 41.0 N EU made of Alpro-Schaum in Cream with a narrow insole
Offered by shoeworld24
Price: $49.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, slip-proof, waterproof Birk - tight throat/vamp, January 24, 2015
I bought these in blue. I've been wearing Birks for over 20 years and have found them to be extremely comfy. Wanting a fully-enclosed, waterproof Birki clog, I excitedly bought these in my usual Birk size (41). Unfortunately, my feet are a little too high on the top (throat area of the shoe) or maybe too wide in that area and these are a bit too snug on the top-side of my foot. The toebox was fine, and the ankle opening was fine. The problem area was just to the front of the ankle opening, where it starts to dip down. Because they are a hard plastic, there isn't any "give" or stretch option. I have had this issue with other brands, but never Birks, and these looked a bit roomier anyway, so I though they'd be ok. Nope.

If you don't have this (inside height) problem with shoes, you might be fine with these.

The insole is easily removed and replaced with others, if you choose. The inside, under the insole is the same plastic as the rest of the shoe, and, therefore, fully washable.

The heel is not very deep, but gives good support without swallowing the foot. I had no problem with the tab on the back rubbing against my Achilles's tendon area (I usually prefer shoes with nothing sticking up in that area, but these were fine, as the tab tilts back a bit)

I docked a star for the fit issue (my first Birks out of literally dozens to not fit), and mine have yellowed a bit, even though I only wore them once, and have had them stored since. None other of my shoes have ever yellowed.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you :)

G7 Power Tahoe LED 15 Watt (75W) 1100 Lumen BR30 Recessed Can Light Bulb, Dimmable 4000K Bright White
Offered by G7 Power
Price: $20.95
2 used & new from $10.03

5.0 out of 5 stars The bulb company that brightened my life..., September 12, 2014
...and inspired me to write a corny headline for my review! Yep, consider me another G7 / 4000K LED bulb fan!

Personally, I prefer a whiter light in my office/gym/sewing/craft room (less tiring on eyes and enthusiasm, and usually, better color rendering), so I went looking for a cooler/higher K bulb. I was happy to find this 4000K, as I thought it would be a nice "happy medium" between a yellow incandescent or LED around 2700K and the science lab blue-white of a 5500K+.

Fortunately, I was right! I bought this and the G7 Carlin bulb (LOVE that they have names!) which is also 4000K, standard socket-style, but considerably smaller and less bright (850 lumens vs 1200 for the Tahoe). I have them paired in a floor lamp that's 1/2 Torchiere (Tahoe) and 1/2 gooseneck (Carlin) and it works great! The torchiere part is a 3-way, but I'm fine with just using it as on-off-off, as I like full brightness and, 3-way LED's are costly and difficult to find in a 4000K / Hi-Lumen / "100W" style.

Of note, I replaced two "Reveal" bulbs (one had died and the other was too dull and yellow after I saw what these G7's could do). Both Reveal bulbs were of equal "wattage" rating to their respective G7 counterparts (I know that's different for LEDs, but I don't have a Lumens measurement for the Reveals). The light from these G7's is so much "cleaner" and really brightens up my office, without being "fluorescent-sterile", if that makes sense.

Also, this Tahoe is quite large and considerably heavier than it's non-LED counterpart (due to all those sexy electronics!). It's fine for my use, as up-light in a torchiere, but definitely weighed a bit on the gooseneck (just making sure it worked before I reached all up in the top). I also bought their Eureka bulb, which was massively heavy for a bulb and weighed down the gooseneck considerably more (not the purpose it was purchased for, but good to know).

Two things I have not tested on this bulb are: dimmability and longevity, as I do not have it in a dimmable socket, nor have I had it for the length of its stated "life" (22.8 years, at 3 hrs/day). I'm happy that it will (should) last so long and is also dimmable, as I might put it in a dimming fixture in the future.

Something that many of us overlook (or don't always have access to), is the Company behind the product. I have contacted them a few times for questions, etc., and was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by a friendly, knowledgeable HUMAN being EACH time. WOW!!

In addition, in their follow-up email to my order, they claim:

"A few G7 advantages:

Our highly efficient bulbs provide more quality light for your dollar.
We are a U.S. based, veteran owned and operated business.
Unlike other LED manufacturers, we do not accept Federal Tax Dollars to subsidize our business."

I also love that it's Mercury Free, no UV Rays, UL Listed, FCC and RoHS certified (no crazy toxics!), shatter resistant, lower heat output, and high lumen per watt (= efficient).

It seems they are a smaller, locally-owned (USA), eco-minded, self-sustaining company, with great products - and I'm happy to support that.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you, too. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 6:04 PM PDT

Cruiser Accessories 82050 Screw Covers, Black
Cruiser Accessories 82050 Screw Covers, Black
Offered by Everyday Low Prices Co.
Price: $4.29
8 used & new from $2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Snappy snaps for your screwy screws, July 24, 2014
Only had these on for 5 months, but they've been great so far. They hold on very tight, but allow for a bit of "spin" so as to not trap water underneath of them. We used them with these screws: "Cruiser Accessories 81330 Locking Fasteners, Import-Stainless" and this frame: "Cruiser Accessories 30650 Perimeter, Black" - both bought on Amazon. They were very easy to install.

I know not everyone notices these things, but I'm happy knowing my plate looks clean and neat on my shiny, new car.

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review helped you, too!

Showa Best 6105PFX GreeN-DEX Biodegradable Industrial Grade Nitrile Glove, Disposable, Powder Free, 4 mil Thickness, 9-1/2" Length, Medium, Green (Pack of 100)
Price: $29.63
2 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean in Green!, July 24, 2014
These are great gloves. We keep them around the house for those tasks that you just don't want your skin to be exposed to (cleaning, infections, bodily fluids, painting, crafts, first aid, car/house maintenance, gunky stuff, etc). They are very sturdy and durable enough for any task I've performed while wearing them.

Love that they're biodegradable, too!

I also like the green, as it differentiates from the tan, black, blue, and purple ones.

They also are a good fit for me, but that is a personal preference, unique to each person's anatomy. I like that they are not uncomfortably tight around my wrists or fingers.

There is a bit of a scent/"feeling" when you remove them, but that's pretty common with most gloves. It's not like a residue or anything and a quick rinse with water takes care of it. I'm picky about what goes on my skin and, I'm very "scent"sitive, and it doesn't bother me.

OttLite 2CYSVB  LED Cone Desk Lamp, Silver Finish
OttLite 2CYSVB LED Cone Desk Lamp, Silver Finish
Offered by Maxi-Aids
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Ott, you light up MY life!, July 24, 2014
I own two of these lights.

I LOVE that:
- this light makes it easier to READ and DO (I have perfect eyesight, but this light still helps make things even easier to see!)
- the base has a fairly small footprint, while still being very stable.
- the neck is flexible, without being noisy (in fact, it's silent!)
- the light is just the right amount and color for a task (keyboarding, sewing, makeup, checking for ticks...)
- the bulb does not get hot (it does get warm, but you can touch it without any discomfort)
- the power cord is removable (I often move the lamp from A to B, and being able to pull out the plug during transport helps to reduce the possibility of it being damaged; also would make for easier replacement, if ever needed)
- the silver finish goes with everything and is unobtrusive

I have made one modification. The light coming from the "bulbs" area is quite bright and I don't like to look at that, directly. One night, I simply took a cheap white cocktail napkin and taped it into a cone shape, around the "bulbs" area. I have it "open" at the neck, so it can slide around, as needed. This provides a great "visor" to shied my eyes from the bright light, while also allowing full brightness to be shone down upon my work area. For my second, newer, lamp, I plan to try a piece of vellum, ya know, for that "classy" look ;P

I rely on reviews to help me make informed purchasing decisions. I hope this review helped you, too!

I know the "bulbs" are not user-replaceable, but they are marketed as: "(40,000 hours at 8 hours a day equates to an expected life of 5,000 days, or over 13 1/2 years)" (taken from majormusiclover's review). I use it fewer than 8 hrs per day, so it should last me much longer than 13.5 years. And, that's considerably longer than most light bulbs (and many lamps) I've had in the past.

OttLite - please keep making these and consider a bigger version, for floor lamps!

Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata Organic Hazelnut Spread, Cocoa and Milk, 9.52 Ounce Jar (Pack of 6)
Price: $31.14
14 used & new from $31.14

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!!!, July 24, 2014
This stuff is ADDICTIVE! In all the right ways! Initially, I bought one jar, then three jars, then six jars, and NOW, OMG Subscribe and Save!!! My prayers have been answered!!

It's not really a health food, per se, but it is a bit healthier than the other addictive hazelnut spread! I initially found this in Italy and I carried the jar with me everywhere I went (just in case, ya know...)

We like it: on toast, on waffles, added to other stuff to make it taste better, with fruit, and even straight off the spoon! Yummmmm...

It's "velvety" smooth, decadently tasty, and not too sweet.

If you're watching/limiting your intake (calories, fat, sugar, dairy...) just make sure you knock something else that's a bit decadent off your shopping list, or otherwise account for the added yumminess (so worth it, tho!)

> > UPDATE: our S&S order has been withheld for 2 weeks, due to some shipping error, we've been out of our "nectar of the goddddsss" for as long, and my hubby and I are going a little (hazel)"nuts". He's like "where's my drone"? Hahaha! Amazon, we need our Nocci!! Fellow customers, you have been warned! :D

Enjoy!

glo Organic Spa Slippers-L/XL
glo Organic Spa Slippers-L/XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy + Roomy + Organic = Just Right!, July 24, 2014
I normally wear a size 10 women's, so I bought the L-XL. They fit fine and are just roomy enough to be able to slip on easily right out of the shower (well, after I safely step on a towel). Cleanliness is important to me, so I prefer to go right from these to clean socks after a shower. I only use them for that purpose, and never wear them unless I have just showered. It used to bother me a bit to walk around on the carpet with damp feet before putting my feet in shoes. Solved!

#1, I LOVE that they are ORGANIC and Fair-trade certified. I LOVE that they pack so flat and are easy to travel with. They also dry fairly quickly (by the next day's shower). Recently, I used them in an RV where space is at a premium. I'd leave them and the floor towel outside of the bathroom and after the shower, step onto the towel and then right into my cozy slippers. Win!

I've worn these every day or so for the past six months and they are still holding up quite well.

The bottoms/soles are not rubbery, but a softer, diamond-patterned material (cotton?). The top part that covers your toes is really soft and fluffy.

The color of the binding is not as dark tan as the photo. On my pair, the binding and the rest all blend together nicely. They are actually much better-looking in person.

Note: these aren't like "cloud-fluffy", where each step is super-cushioned and bouncy. Rather, they are slim and made for fast-drying with minimal materials (who knows what is off-gassing from all that foam in those other styles??)

The tags are all very "official-looking" with appropriate certified organic notations. There are two main tags and both are made from a soft fabric. You could cut them out, but I've left mine in and I don't really feel them. Plus, it helps distinguish left and right when it's early and you are still a bit sleepy.

glo, PLEASE make MORE! Amazon has been out of stock for too long and I'd like to know I can find a second pair, when (if) these wear out!

I rely on reviews to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope this review has helped you!

Sony Alpha a6000 Interchangeable Lens Camera - Body only
Sony Alpha a6000 Interchangeable Lens Camera - Body only
Price: $548.00
28 used & new from $419.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Details not mentioned in other reviews... (& vs. NEX-6), June 6, 2014
I've owned the NEX-6 for about six months now and have been fairly happy. Of course, when the "upgrade" came out, I had to have it (after I did my research, of course!). So, now I have both (and intend to keep both, as I always like to have a 'back-up' camera handy).

For those of you looking for a review on image quality and other points of usability, well, I can tell you that there are dozens (or more) excellent reviews out there that already cover that (generally they give pretty high marks for IQ, DR, etc). I read and viewed many of them before making the decision to buy and here are a few things that those reviews omitted:

THE GRIP:

- the grip on the a6000 is not as nice (for me) as the NEX-6. Like a good woman, the NEX-6 was "curvy" in all the right places, offering superb grip when dancing or running around (as I often do, camera-in-hand; yes, I always use a wrist strap, just in case). The a6000, despite what I've seen in my research, seems to have a shallower grip (due to a thicker body/mid-section). If you have even moderately long nails, you will find the need to trim them so that you can get the same grip you may be used to on the NEX6.

- the bottom (where the hands' "moon" spot, in palmistry, sits) seems a bit "edgier/sharper" and doesn't nestle into that part of the hand as easily.

- the rear thumbgrip on the a6000 is more vertical than the more organic "diagonal" of the NEX6. Ergo, the thumb has to be in a tighter, more upright angle to the rest of the hand, in order to have a more fully supported shot. I prefer the more "C" shaped gripping style of the NEX6, again.

- the top rear edge of the a6000 is at a 90-degree angle, with two levels. On the NEX-6, this is a smooth, beveled edge (more like a 45-degree angle). Sometimes, I have to put my thumb in non-optimal places on the camera, to get just the right angle. On the NEX-6, there were quite a few places where this was comfortable. On the a6000, there's really only one (the default) and it's still not as comfortable as the NEX6. :(

BUTTONRY/DO-HICKEYS:

- my main pet peeve in this category is the On-Off switch. I didn't like it on the NEX6 and what's worse, they switched the order of On and Off on the a6000, but used the same "push/pull in the opposite direction as what you read on the dial" format! Maybe my brain is odd, but if On is left and Off is written to the right of that, my brain would be happiest with a switch that MOVED left for On and right for off (or vice-versa, as long as it's logical.) The good news is that the text is now white on black, versus white on champagne/silver on the NEX6, so it's a little easier to read.

- I also really liked the smoothness and shininess of the NEX6 power switch/shutter release. It left no indent on my finger during extended shooting sessions and, gave me a soft spot for my index finger to make contact when not "pressing" buttons. And, when letting someone else take your photo, like when at a party or when travelling, it's easier for new/temporary users to see the shiny, champagne-colored button than the black, matchy-matchy button. Especially when you have to answer questions like "what do I push?" and it can be confused with other 'black buttons' in that area. Also, the a6000 power/shutter button flat surface is smaller and there's a "groove" around it which I fear will collect grime, over time (despite my very particular care-taking of my 'stuff')

- speaking of smooth and shiny colors, the MI (multi-interface) shoe and lens mount were both finished in a 'dull' silver on my otherwise black NEX-6. These are both black on my black a6000. The teeny ridges on the lens mount are also less pronounced on the a6000. I generally don't see it, though, as my elastic strap lens cap keeper sits there and covers some of it. I kinda liked having the silver accents, though, as some of my lenses are silver and it integrates them a bit better.

- the MI shoe on the NEX-6 came with a protective insert, which I thought was a very smart idea (protection & better-looking). In fact, I put them on all my "shoe'ed" cameras. The a6000 does NOT come with this. The NEX-6 one works in either camera. If you don't have one, I recommend it, as there are some sensitive contacts in that MI shoe. Options can be found for a few dollars on ebay (surely, they'd be cheap enough - especially in bulk - for Sony to include one with a ~$700 camera, but who knows...?) {NOTE: if this point is important to you, please see my 6/9 comment to this review for links and clarification.}

- the screen - ok, Sony, you only give us image capture ratios of 3:2 or 16:9 to choose from and the screen is 16:9 (altho, it'd be great to have the otherwise fairly standard 4:3 and 1:1, as well, just for fun). I get it, there's the black bars alongside the photo for settings icons (in that one display mode). Whatever. But, why do you not center the display part of the screen in the non-display part of the screen?? And, why move it to the opposite side in the a6000? Oh, so you have to make (and we have to buy) new screen protectors (if we're loyal enough to buy them from you in the first place, that is). Um, ok. I happen to have an extra one here and it looks like I'll be putting it on upside-down, to save the $10-15 from buying a new one (if I could even find one in stock, at this point, anywhere). {UPDATE: yep, I put it on, upside-down, and sharpie'd the logo so it wouldn't drive me nuts - it isn't super-pretty, but satisfies me good enough. Doesn't work great in 'portrait' when wearing polarized sunglasses. This is pretty typical, and the result is just barely passable, so just fyi.}. SONY: please center it next time. It's nice to have a centered point-of-reference when composing via the LCD screen.

CONNECTIVITY:

- I currently have no use for NFC (still using my trusty old E72 nokia {RIP Symbian s60} & an ipod that won't upgrade to iOS7). I know that NFC isn't 'activated' until another NFC-enabled device 'bumps' it, but I'd like to turn it off completely. I've searched the in-camera menu and the manual and have not found a way to "deactivate" it. Selecting NFC in the the menu just keeps returning me back to the menu page, to select it again. I'd rather not have it using battery power (however minimal) while it's waiting to be bumped with another NFC device (nor, do I want yet more "waves" pulsating through my hand as I carry my camera all day.) If it serves a purpose in my life, I'm fine with that, but this currently does not.

- they've swapped the HDMI port/jack from a mini (NEX-6), to a mirco (a6000). Just fyi, in case you need to buy a new cable (like I do). This may confuse some users, as the ports now look very similar. USB still at the top, near the Charge light. And, I'm one of the people who love the in-camera USB charging. (I also bought an external wall/car charger, as I always carry a second battery - LOVE that I can charge two batteries at the same time OR, carry a 'stick charge box' thingie in my bag and recharge it during down time at an event, regardless of access to an outlet. So cool, sony!)

- the Wi-Fi has the WPS option, but I could not get it to work (I have, on other devices, tho; yet, I do have a somewhat old router, c.2011). YMMV. Entering the SSID & PWD isn't a huge problem, and you only need to do it once. Navigating the 'keyboard' isn't super-easy, but it works. Same as the NEX-6. It does ask two questions that aren't addressed in the manual (or via the internet, as far as I've found): IP setting and Priority.

MENU:

- yes, the menu on the a6000 is much improved! It's not perfect, but it's got a better (or, existent!) hierarchy, so if you want, you can remember X > Y > Z > 1,2,3... vs. X > scroll, scroll, scroll, loop, scroll, scroll, scroll back > Z > 1,2,3... of course, smart planning of your several customizable buttons, as mentioned in other reviews, can significantly reduce 'searching', as well.

- if you liked the old "tiled" style - you can turn that option on (and it's better-looking now). But, once you choose one of 6 main categories, you're right back into the default a6000 menu. I do kinda like this option (it's pretty); however, with the other option, it seems to remember what setting you were on and returns to it, after you leave the menu. I did not see an option to customize this behavior, as I've seen in other cameras. I'm ok with it returning to last point, as navigating the tabs in order to change other settings is fairly easy.

- the 'descriptions' of the mode-dial modes all now have a background image, depicting an example of what each might be used for (waterfalls for shutter priority, fireworks for manual, etc). This makes it a bit easier to remember, and maybe even use, for beginning enthusiasts, but can also make the text a bit harder to read.

- the SCN modes are all the same, but the animated on-screen 'dial' is on the left now, (rather than on the right, as with the NEX-6). There are also navigation choices on the bottom, which the NEX-6 didn't have (self-explanatory, but still helpful to have). In addition, the selection of SCN modes rolls in the opposite direction as what you may be used to on the NEX6 ('right' now goes down the list, instead of selecting up the list). I somewhat prefer the new way, as, for the first 5 modes, the highlight is what moves and not the menu choices, (which got dizzying after a while on the NEX-6). They will eventually scroll on the a6000 as well, however, as you move further down/up the list. They are also in a slightly different order, now. And, while the font size is larger, it seems still hard to read. The background images are mostly the same, but have been "punched up" and cropped a bit. My old panasonic was great in this aspect, as it showed a chart of icons that could be quickly navigated via up/down/left/right. If I needed more info/description on a less-used mode, there was a button for that. Otherwise, I had a handy, easy chart that allowed me to find what I needed quickly (icons always in the same place), and i could discover new ones, along the way. Sony needs an update here, as there are many fewer icons and much more confusion. I'd welcome a fix to this in a Firmware update (with the option to keep it the old way, for those who've gotten used to it).

So, despite the nits I've picked above, I plan to keep this camera as the "important" specs far outweigh these little issues listed. If they'd kept some of the ergonomics from the NEX-6 (not all, but some) and thought out a few things a little better, it'd be a 5-star camera. But, if it takes excellent pics and checks all your boxes, then maybe it WILL be a 5-star camera for you!

I rely on reviews to help me make buying decisions. I hope this review helped you, too. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19