Profile for David Arnstein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 242

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Arnstein RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ty Beanie Ballz Ozzy Pink Owl Regular Plush
Ty Beanie Ballz Ozzy Pink Owl Regular Plush
Price: $6.47
38 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Colorful little owl, October 24, 2014
I gave one of these to the daughter of a friend, age 10. She liked it, even though she already has a few plush animal toys.

I would grade that as a success.

This toy is solidly stuffed and easily retains a round, symmetric shape.

Roger Dodger
Roger Dodger
DVD ~ Campbell Scott
Offered by Kings Emporium
Price: $5.59
139 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Old age and treachery overcomes youth and innocence (and stupidity), October 14, 2014
This review is from: Roger Dodger (DVD)
A forty-something hustler shows his young nephew the ropes. Much clever dialog ensues. I found the nephew character to be highly annoying. The character was one of youthful innocence, but also a fair amount of stupidity. I was tempted to fast-forward through some of the scenes.

At the end of the movie, the hustler character redeems himself with a bit of character reform. Ho hum.

iPhone 5s Screen Protector Tempered Glass-Sapphire Hardness ★Lifetime Replacement Program★ [No Questions Asked], Bubble Free Best Iphone Tempered Glass Screen Protector - The Only Reusable Screen Protector - You Break It, You Lose It, We Replace It - iPhone 5 Screen Protector Tempered Glass - iPhone 5c Screen Protector Tempered Glass
Offered by DimoGlass
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $36.83

5.0 out of 5 stars glass is where it's at!, October 14, 2014
I have tried several conventional (plastic film) screen protectors. I don't think any of them are worth a hoot. It is very difficult to get them installed without very ugly and distracting air bubbles. I suppose that success is possible, but it is not worth my time.

This product is the way to go. It includes gear for a three step cleaning process that you work on your phone before installation. You start with an alcohol wipe, then a microfiber cloth, and finally a sticky plastic sheet that carries away stray particles of dust. You get two copies of each of these, so your success if almost certain. Finally, you drop the glass sheet onto your phone. This is your main chance to fail: you have to get the thing lined up "just right." Because the glass sheet is stiff, this is not too difficult. Much easier than wrangling a floppy sheet of plastic film.

The performance of the glass sheet is terrific. No loss of light, no visible distortion, and a super smooth surface for your finger to slide across.

I had to replace my screen protector due to an adhesive failure. This is unfortunate, but I just do not feel it would be correct to knock off a star from this review. The reason is that the customer service that followed was outstanding. In my email exchange with the vendor, it was obvious to me that making things right was a point of honor. The replacement was sent two day UPS.

The second screen protector has been in place for a few days now and it is still flawless.

Quicken Premier 2015
Quicken Premier 2015
Price: $69.99
24 used & new from $65.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The only game in town, October 14, 2014
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2015 (CD-ROM)
This software does not change much from year to year. The reason we keep buying it is that the "online" features expire after two years. Personally I am quite comfortable with this arrangement. This year's model features many bug fixes, according to the Intuit web pile. New features include a free credit report. I have not tried that feature, so I don't know how good it is. I found the upgrade installation to be perfect: no issues, no lost data, and reasonably quick.

It would be perfectly sensible to buy it every two years.

This is simply the best software of its kind available. Since Microsoft Money crapped out, there is no other software product that even comes close, in terms of features or usability. In my use, it is stable and dependable.

I believe that anyone with either a family or a decent income should use Quicken. Spending and saving your money involves decisions every day. It is better to drive those decisions with data than to rely solely on your instincts.

The modern alternative to Quicken is a fully web-based, free service such as Mint. You get what you pay for. You give away your privacy too.

Me, I will stick with Quicken as long as it is available. I back up my home computer frequently. My financial data is private and secure, living on my home disk drive and my encrypted backup drives.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 2:35 PM PDT

Mpow® Edge Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Headset Headphone, Handsfree Earphone for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S 4, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 3 2, LG G2 and other Cellphones
Offered by Patozon
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend, September 19, 2014
Sound quality is significantly worse than what you get from Motorola, Jabra, or Plantronics.

Other aspects of this headset are quie good, but it doesn't matter. It is difficult to understand what the caller is saying, so I will not be using this thing.

Vornado MVH Whole Room Vortex Heater, Black
Vornado MVH Whole Room Vortex Heater, Black
Price: $59.00
4 used & new from $59.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice heater, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I replaced my ancient Vornado EH1-0015-04 Heater/Fan Electronic Heater with this one. I bought the old Vornado in 2003. Yeah, ancient. It is still working too.

The MVH is more compact than the old Vornado, which is a welcome feature. The MVH is quiet, but not as quiet as the old Vornado. The MVH looks nicer.

The MVH is one of the cheaper heaters in Vornado's line, but it gets the job done. I do not believe Vornado's marketing claims about air vortices and improved efficiency. The heater is a fan and a heated wire, the same as other heaters. But Vornado heaters are quiet, and you get a 5 year warranty. Good reasons to choose the brand, I think.

My only complaint is that it is just a bit difficult to tell that the heater is powered up. When the heaters is powered up, but the enclosing room is already warm, silence. The fan does not turn. The only indication that the heater is powered up is a very small, front-facing LED. I use this heater when I take a shower, at which time I am not wearing my eyeglasses. That little LED is hard to see.

MEElectronics Air-Fi® Journey AF16 Ultra Portable Stereo Wireless Headset (Black)
Offered by Amazing_Mobile
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, September 2, 2014
I am surprised that these 'phones reviewed so well on Amazon.Com. I perceive that they are "not bad." They are no bargain either.

Sound quality is tinny. Distinctly worse than Motorola S305 http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset-Microphone/dp/B002BH3I9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409695236&sr=8-1&keywords=s305 or Kinivo BTH 220. http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset-Microphone/dp/B002BH3I9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409695236&sr=8-1&keywords=s305 . The battery life of these MEElectronics 'phones is worse as well.

As others have noted, these 'phones may hurt after a few minutes to an hour of use. I found that if I remove the thin rubber cushions from the earpieces, I tolerate these 'phones very well. I can go two hours or more without discomfort.

I often use these 'phones to watch DVDs on a Windows 8 PC. Microsoft's bluetooth software is very good, but it does not play all that well with these 'phones. At the end of a DVD, and sometimes sooner, the bluetooth connection fails. I absolutely do not have this problem with the Motorola or Kinivo 'phones.

I'll finish up by stating what I like about this product.

These 'phones stay in place even when you exercise hard. I mean, they stay *exactly* in place. That is important. With these small headphones, the drivers have to be positioned precisely, in most cases. Otherwise, sound quality drops off dramatically.

These 'phones are wonderfully lightweight and compact. I like the "headband" arrangement a lot. It is comfortable and inconspicuous. These 'phones are ideal for traveling light. They look rather nice, I think.

On my iPhone, I can see the battery level of the headphones. Convenient.

Conclusion: MEElectronics should lower the price or buff up the drivers and electronics.

Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (USB3GIG)
Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (USB3GIG)
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance (speed) and easy to use, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tested using my 2014 Macbook Air 11-inch. Linksys supplies some sort of driver software for this adapter, but I did not install it. I simply plugged the adapter into my Macbook and it started to work. The computer and the adapter work together very nicely!

The adapter is all black plastic and it appears to be sturdy. It has an activity light, which I find useful. There are dust covers for both ends (USB and ethernet). I plan to keep these and use them, they fit snugly. Who knows, I might avoid losing them for a while.

In my testing, the adapter works flawlessly and does not call attention to itself. The only reservation I have is that the thing gets quite warm. Hot, even. This might indicate a high drain on the computer's battery.

I tested the adapter for speed and I am impressed. My wired/wireless router provides 802.11n only so that is what I used. I placed my Macbook Air about a meter away from the router, so that its wireless signal was extremely good. I used the website speedtest dot net to measure performance. Here are the results. As you can see, I tested the Macbook Air twice. The last measurement is from my big iMac, which is older but quite powerful.

Mabook Air wireless: 50.24 down / 5.82 up
Macbook Air wired; 57.24 down / 5.95 up
Macbook Air wireless: 50.00 down / 5.91 up
Macbook Air wired: 57.24 down / 5.93 up
iMac wired: 55.06 down / 5.43 up

The important thing is that the Linksys adapter (Macbook Air Wired) is faster than the computer's native WiFi, which is itself a high quality circuit. The difference is not huge, but the wireless connection is unusually strong (see comments above) so this is still a good test.

I am also impressed that the Linksys adapter measured faster than my big iMac (wired).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2014 12:05 AM PDT

We Live in Water: Stories
We Live in Water: Stories
by Jess Walter
Price: $9.87
87 used & new from $2.58

2.0 out of 5 stars All About Dumb People Doing Dumb Things, August 8, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Walter's recent book _Beautiful Ruins_. This book of stories features the same great writing, but I just could not get into it. All of the characters make bad life decisions and suffer the consequences. That are entirely predictable.

It is depressing! I read the whole book and then accidentally left it in an airplane seat pocket. I don't miss it.

Under Armour Men's UA Original Series 6' Boxerjock® Medium Midnight Navy
Under Armour Men's UA Original Series 6' Boxerjock® Medium Midnight Navy
Offered by The Gear Co-op
Price: $19.95
4 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked well in the gym, August 8, 2014
I used one of these on a two week vacation. I wanted secure coverage against the filth of unfamiliar exercise machines and this underwear did the trick. I also wanted something that would drip-dry quickly after a hand-washing. These did OK.

Adequate support. I would guess that useful life will be adequate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20