Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for David Arnstein > Reviews

Browse

David Arnstein's Profile

Customer Reviews: 318

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Arnstein RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
APC M3 Mobile Power Pack for Smartphones - 3,000mAh, Black
APC M3 Mobile Power Pack for Smartphones - 3,000mAh, Black
Price: $14.99
26 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, rock solid, pleasant., August 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are many, many competing products. My two favorites in this class are this one, and this: Jackery Mini Portable Charger 3200mAh - External Battery Pack, Power Bank, & Portable iPhone Charger for Apple iPhone 6 Plus, 6, 5, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy S6, and S5 (Gold). So naturally I am going to compare the two.

I was attracted to this APC charger because I have had good luck with this manufacturer. My employer has many of their UPSs and they are solid. This charger did not disappoint. It looks absolutely solid, and its sockets, pushbutton feel tight and strong.The metal body is flawless. I like the rounded shape, it is mostly kind to my pants pockets. Performance is rock solid. I plug stuff in and it charges.

The Zackery charger is also great. Its sockets and pushbuttons are tight and strong. It looks prettier than the APC charger under review.

The Zackery charger has a four-part lamp that indicates how much juice you have inside. For this reason, I have to say that I prefer the Zackery.

Your preference might be different, these are both great products, I really have no complaint at all. You might prefer one shape over the other, which is why I am going to attach photos of both products. You might prefer the APC charger for reasons of simplicity and reliability. The APC charger "feels" more solid, although I don't have a any lab results to back up that feeling. The APC charger is definitely simpler, with its single indicator light. Sometimes simplicity equals reliability.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX440 Handycam Camcorder
Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX440 Handycam Camcorder
Offered by Huppins
Price: Click here to see our price
17 used & new from $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, light, feature-packed., August 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed about this camera: it is surprisingly small and light. Very light: 7.4 oz with battery and memory card in place. There is nothing else to add weight. The next thing I noticed is a very rich feature set. Wide-ranging OPTICAL zoom. Image stabilization. Control via smartphone. Face detection. Smile detection. Wind noise reduction. And more.

For you experts, you can switch to manual mode for white balance, exposure, focus, and aperture (iris).

Audio and video quality are good. If you have a lot of light available, you can achieve a nice "hi def" presentation. I was disappointed in low light performance. Lots of mosquito noise. There is a "low lux" option that you can use. It reduces the noise, but it also softens up the video. Pick your poison.

I tried the "control from smartphone" feature with my iPhone. Well, it works. You can shoot video and take still pictures with a smartphone app. You can adjust zoom. That's about it. It's cute, but I can't think of a use for this feature.

Playback over HDMI works fine. To transfer your videos and stills to your computer, you need to use a Sony program named PlayMemories Home. It is available (free) for both Windows and OSX computers. I didn't like it. Upon installation, you have to sign away your privacy to Sony. On my iMac, it hangs up after launch for about a minute doing ghod knows what. Exporting video to the iMac involves a transcoding (format conversion) operation and it is slow. I would much rather copy video from the camera to my computer using (for example) OSX Finder or Windows Explorer. This is not possible, because the on-camera video files are in a Sony-proprietary format.

As of today I consider this camera to be an excellent value for the price, here on Amazon. I am taking off one star due to low light performance, and the fact that I am forced to use PlayMemories software.

Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland
Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland
by Carlton Mellick III
Price: $12.95
32 used & new from $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars What an imagination, August 23, 2015
This fellow's wordsmithing is not all that. But his imagination is stupendous. This is the second Mellick book that I have read. I won't stop now.

Tresemme Shine Lotion, Youth Boost, 3.3 Ounce
Tresemme Shine Lotion, Youth Boost, 3.3 Ounce
Price: $3.72
10 used & new from $3.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Innocuous, August 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My owl tried this lotion for a few days. She reports that it did not do anything for her hair, good or bad. Scent was mild, and neither good nor bad.

3" Mahogany Metal Square Wire Stand Plate Photo Display Stand
3" Mahogany Metal Square Wire Stand Plate Photo Display Stand
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $8.51
4 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, August 18, 2015
Nothing fancy, borderline "cheap" in fact. It does the job and mostly stays out of sight. I appreciate that. There are different size versions of this item for sale and that is very useful.

StarTech.com Headset adapter for headsets with separate headphone / microphone plugs - 3.5mm 4 position to 2x 3 position 3.5mm M/F
Price: $6.41
90 used & new from $3.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, August 17, 2015
Working well with my HP Pavilion x360 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop.

Price: $4.99
55 used & new from $3.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Windows 8 tablet, August 17, 2015
I can confirm that this works well with a Toshiba Encore 2 Write WT8PE-B264 8-Inch 64 GB Tablet. I was able to connect a mouse/keyboard combination as well as a USB flash drive. However the cable fits into the tablet a bit more tightly than I would like.

1 X 4" Mahogany Metal Square Wire Stand Plate Photo Holder Display
1 X 4" Mahogany Metal Square Wire Stand Plate Photo Holder Display
Offered by Provident Standard
Price: $10.99
4 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, August 17, 2015

Price is a bit high for what is really just a bent wire.

Ted (Unrated Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Ted (Unrated Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Price: $11.99
108 used & new from $1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, August 17, 2015
Not bad. The best aspect of the movie is the delivery of crude jokes by the teddy bear character. The steady stream of offensive humor from a fubsy little teddy bear is very effective.

I was annoyed by the plot element of a successful, beautiful girl hanging with a total loser. Hollywood loves this but it is an insult to the intelligence of the viewer.

Toshiba Encore 2 Write WT8PE-B264 8-Inch 64 GB Tablet
Toshiba Encore 2 Write WT8PE-B264 8-Inch 64 GB Tablet
Price: $349.99
25 used & new from $239.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable computer held back by a poor operating system, August 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Toshiba did a really great job with this tablet. For starters, it is NOT loaded up with crap software. You might be surprised how unusual this is. I have reviewed three other Windows computers in the past two years. Two of them were infested with crapware, and I spent hours getting rid of it. I ran Windows Update (160 pieces) without trouble. I removed a few useless web browser shortcuts. Then the Toshiba was ready for use.

I am impressed that this tiny device is in fact a fully functional Windows computer. I have attached keyboards, mice, USB flash drives, and used them all without issue. I used this stub cable: StarTech.com 5in Micro USB to USB OTG Host Adapter - Micro USB Male to USB A Female On-The-GO Host Cable Adapter.

The stylus works well. Battery life is adequate. Cameras (both of them) are meh. Screen looks nice and the touch function works well. The CPU and storage system are fast enough for simple tasks such as email, web browsing, and watching movies on Netflix or Youtube. The sizing of flash storage is ideal for a computer like this. There is lots of room available to hold your third party programs, music, and videos.

I was pleased to find a protective sleeve that is a great fit: Luxury Ultra Slim with Magnetic closure and Hard Shell PU LEATHER PROTECTIVE CASE, COVER, STAND For TOSHIBA Encore® 2 Write WT8PE-B264 Windows Tablet 8-inch! BLACK. Be aware that it is neither luxury nor leather. But it works very well.

Now here is the bad news. Two words: Windows 8. i have Windows 10 on another computer, it is not an improvement.

When Windows 8 first appeared, I complained about how awful it is for desktop use. Then I figured out how to make it work. One installs Classic Shell and makes a few other adjustments, and Windows 8 sings! However most people are not going to use THIS product as a desktop computer, except as an amusement. Its screen is simply too small for that. You have to use it as a tablet. As a tablet operating system, Windows 8/10 is not bad. It is AWFUL. The best tablet app is Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser. Even that one is not so great. Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to kill it. There is not a working Skype tablet app, even though Microsoft owns Skype! Similarly, there is no wechat tablet app. Wechat is a system that is used by half a billion people world wide. Isn't that enough users?

You are going to look for tablet apps in the Microsoft Store, and that is a cesspool. Want an example? Search the store for "DVD player." You will be looking at a big collection of crap apps that do NOT play DVDs. Read the reviews. Most of them are angry complaints. Yet, these reviews are all 5 stars, the top score. How can that be? The crooks that sell these apps are able to hack the rating system.

If you wish to use a SMALL tablet with an external mouse and keyboard, then this machine would be ideal for you. The screen is small but sharp. I can imagine that some people could handle it. You could use Windows 8/10 as a desktop operating system. For this, Windows 8/10 can be made to sing. For this sort of user, the Toshiba can do so much more than an iPad or an Android tablet.

This Toshiba tablet is a remarkable piece of hardware. It carries a nice price. Too bad it has to use Windows.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20