Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for J. Z. > Reviews

Browse

J. Z.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Z. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Duro-Med Convoluted Bed Pad Hospital-Size Bed Pad, Blue, 33 Inch x 72 Inch x 3 Inch
Offered by Treasure Zone
Price: $29.14
10 used & new from $22.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect much but give it time, September 10, 2012
I suspect that this foam is awesome if it were labeled and packed appropriately. I was able to modify to get it to work for me but there are two main issues that really bring this down. First, it is rolled tightly for shipping then shrink wrapped. The sheet is six feet long and I'd say the first 12 inches and last 8 inches are completely useless. The former being pressed too tightly and the latter being curled up so its not usable. There goes almost a third of your product. The other problem is that I purchased 3" foam yet it's clearly 1.5" on a good day. It really comes down to the base being about 1/4" thick, then having the pyramid coming out just over an inch. Even after a week the foam is better but not the thickness advertised. This really doesn't provide any support. I suspect this foam- if paired with a thick base layer- would really work well. However the product as it ships is just not enough in my opinion. The 2" foam must really be useless but the 4" may be on the right track.

My suggestion: let it sit somewhere flat and out of the way to air out and return to it's shape before use.

Mediasonic H21-SU3 ProBox 2.5" SATA Hard Drive / SSD Enclosure (9.5mm and 7mm) - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, Support SATA 3 6.0Gbps HDD & UASP Optimized for SSD
Offered by ElectronicsDirectPlus
Price: $18.44
4 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, September 6, 2012
I've owned this casing for a few days so I can't speak as to how it will hold up over the long haul but I can write a review based on what any purchaser will want to know.

The casing is super easy to disassemble; only one screw and it snaps/slides apart. It feels cheap but not necessarily flimsy. It just isn't as heavy and solid as most brand name drives I've owned. First thing I did after reformatting was test to see if I'm getting USB 3.0 speeds by running Disk Speed Test by Blackmagicdesign. I popped in a 7200 rpm Seagate HDD and my USB 3.0 read speeds were 64.4MB/s and write speeds were 55MB/s. My USB 2.0 hub couldn't get the harddrive to load due to the power consumption but when plugged into my 2007 Macbook (USB 2.0 ports) I had read speeds of 37MB/s and write speeds of 27MB/s. For comparison my Western Digital Passport USB 2.0 HDD with a 5400rpm drive only had read speeds of 34MB/s and write speeds of 22MB/s.

So overall the drive was incredibly inexpensive, quick and easy to disassemble, and works on all of the computer I've tested when plugging direct into the USB port. I have had the same problem with many other drives not loading (although the power LED turns on) due to insufficient power. I'll report back if any problems come up but this appears to be a great option for those of us that are often asked to repair/restore a friend's computer or for anyone with a spare 2.5" SATA drive sitting around.

BOSS AUDIO MR50B Marine 5.25" 2-way 150-watt Full Range Speakers
BOSS AUDIO MR50B Marine 5.25" 2-way 150-watt Full Range Speakers
Price: $20.22
157 used & new from $19.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Where are the high pass caps?, June 24, 2012
These speakers sound great (for being budget marine speakers). The sizing is bizarre and has been addressed in other reviews. My main complaint is that there is no high-pass capacitors to cut the low end. If these are rated for 80Hz there should be a cap to prevent block out anything lower. I run these off of a head unit as I'm sure many people do. There is no crossover but it desperately needs it to prevent your speakers from distorting with your bass. I used two 470uF 35V bi-polarized caps (ECE-A1VN471U) which are close enough to decrease the deep lows. Immediately I noticed I could turn the stereo up without the sound of the speaker dying out on me. For under $1 a piece I highly recommend doing your own research for your setup and determine what value you need.

All things considered I'd give the speakers four stars with the proper high pass setup because they are a great value. Also the rigid plastic grill is a nice touch as far as durability goes.

Internal Tooth Lock Washer, Steel, Zinc Finish, 3/8" Bolt Size, 0.3910" ID, 0.6810" OD, 0.0360" Thick, Pack Of 100
Price: $11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture and title are accurate, April 14, 2012
I was hesitant to buy these washers since the other reviewer gave them 1 star. However, the picture and title is accurate and I did in fact receive internal tooth lock washers. The description refers to split lock washers so that part is inaccurate. The dimensions listed are correct and these fit perfectly on a 3/8" bolt. Highly recommended.

Edit: It appears the product family has two washers for each size. Based on my experience and other reviews the thicker washer appears to be the split lock washer and the thinner is the internal tooth.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Profile Design Threadless Size Converter (1 - 1/8-Inch)
Profile Design Threadless Size Converter (1 - 1/8-Inch)
Offered by Bargain Pedaler
Price: $18.49
18 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you know what you need, February 29, 2012
This adapter arrived today and luckily was the correct product since I cross-referenced the product number with another website. This stem goes into a 7/8" Internal Diameter tube (22.2mm) and allows you to bolt on a 1-1/8" stem. This is designed to allow you to use commonly found, current generation stems with your older bicycles. In my case it fit my mid 90's Cannondale road bike. The product is great and worked well for me.

I wish Amazon would straighten out the description along with the manufacturer because it's incredibly confusing. The packaging for the product even says "Threadless Size Converter 1'- 1 1/8'" although the bottom of the product clearly has 22.2mm stamped into it (and confirmed with a micrometer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 5:38 PM PDT

10ft. Mini Display Port Male to HDMI Male
10ft. Mini Display Port Male to HDMI Male
Offered by GGStart16
Price: $4.42
17 used & new from $4.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Great option for HDMI output, August 30, 2011
I bought this in lieu of getting a short adapter and plugging in a standard HDMI cable. I've use those in the past but the problem is the adapter is so short that you have this heavy, non-flexible area a few inches from the port on the computer. I just didn't like it and found it to be in the way when in tight spaces (a crowded desk!). This cable feels nice, both ends fight tightly in their respective port, 10 feet is a great length and an extension cable is always available if necessary. I used this on the 2011 Macbook Pro and sound DOES WORK. I had to go into Sound Preferences and change the output to HDMI, but it absolutely worked.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2012 3:36 AM PDT

[OLD MODEL] Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Offered by I.T. Surplus Liquidators
Price: $215.20
23 used & new from $71.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in 2011 Macbook Pro (and mid-2012 MBP), August 30, 2011
I originally wrote a glowing review about this SSD which I purchased about 6 months ago and after updating this review so many times it became cluttered. I still stick to my 5-star review but I'm going to reorganize this review for the sake of everyone else out there.

Before I get started, this review is for the 256GB model. The Sequential Write speeds (as advertised by Crucial) vary between the models:
64GB model: 95 MB/sec; 128GB model: 175 MB/sec; 256GB model: 260 MB/sec; 512GB model: 260 MB/sec.

This drive was installed in my current 13" Macbook Pro and I have had excellent results. After 6 months: No hang ups; no problems going in and out of sleep; everything is SO much faster. Bootup is less than 30 seconds; Firefox opens nearly instantly; About this Mac loads instantly; Disk Utility permission repair runs in under a minute; multitasking is smoother; just overall snappiness. The first thing I showed to a friend when he scoffed at the price was to open every single app in my dock at once (multiple browsers, the CS-3 suite, final cut, all of the iLife programs, LibreOffice). While on my old HDD I probably would have sat there loading forever, this time I didn't even get a pinwheel. Even my websites would load quicker. I've noticed my system backups are quicker when writing to an external harddrive using a Firewire 800 port, and my DVD ripping is about 15% quicker.

I always see people saying that a huge benefit of an SSD is better battery life. I've noticed almost no change in real world usage although I'm sure there is a minimal difference. Don't expect your battery life to change dramatically though. My computer is significantly quieter (and has less vibrations) which is very nice when I'm watching a movie late at night.

A huge selling point for the M4 is a three year warranty and the fact that it is SATA III (which my macbook pro supports; not sure about previous models). The additional throughput allows for a huge speed increase. It's predecessor - the C300 - was highly regarded and I've had great luck with Crucial so I'm confident that this was a good purchase.

Info about M4's firmware:
I bought this while running OS 10.6.8 and ran Rev 0001 firmware. I had no problems at all but eventually upgraded to Rev 0002. Soon after Rev 0009 came out which I then upgraded to as well and have been using for about 5 months so that's what the majority of my review is based on. There was a large speed difference when running benchmark software between Rev 0009 and previous firmware but real world difference could be another thing. To upgrade firmware just download from the Crucial website, burn to CD, and boot from the CD. It's all very very simple.

Regarding TRIM:
While I was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, TRIM was listed as disabled. I've heard it was because only Apple-branded SSDs will turn on TRIM, but there is software floating around to enable TRIM support. I chose not to run the software because I didn't know the developer but it could be perfectly fine. I ended up upgrading to Lion 10.7 (now 10.7.3) and TRIM is still listed as disabled. Someone in the comments below mentions to search "enable trim mactrast" and follow the directions to enable TRIM. I followed the directions on the site and now TRIM is supported. TRIM is important for wear leveling and to prevent a decrease in speed overtime and the directions take all of 2 minutes to follow so it's highly recommended.

Optimizing your SSD: I haven't seen much that will make a difference but the first thing I did was disable the Sudden Motion Sensor. I also went into Energy Saver and turned off "put hard disks to sleep when possible." Then I repaired disk permissions and verified the disk in Disk Utility for a final time. I've heard of disabling Spotlight, but I use it so I decided against it.

Regarding Windows 7 and Bootcamp: Some people have luck with Winclone to copy their Windows 7 partition from Bootcamp. I didn't have luck but I'm not overly concerned since I don't want to give up 20GB of space (minimal size Boot Camp Assistant allows) for an OS I don't really need and rarely use. This isn't a problem related to the SSD, but I just thought I'd mention that.

Still speedy, average about 12 hours of use per day. For those looking for some Macbook Pro specs:
Results 443.78
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.7.3 (11D50b)
Physical RAM 8192 MB
Uncached Write 1095.88 116.01 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 816.10 261.26 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2098.55 14.87 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 1362.67 252.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Over the past weekend I've had consistent spinning beach balls and system freezes. I also upgraded to 10.8.1 last week which I assume has something to do with it. After a few days of panic at the thought of replacing my hard drive I decided to try updating the firmware from Rev 0009 to 0309. Currently running 0309 for the past 12 hours without any hang ups like before. I'm not sure what the problem was but 0309 appears to be the firmware to run for macbooks running OS X.
Comment Comments (35) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 9:57 AM PDT

Zefal Universal Patch Kit Hanging with Levers
Zefal Universal Patch Kit Hanging with Levers
Price: $6.65
20 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a great kit, June 26, 2011
The kit just arrived so I can't comment on how well it'll hold up. My main point of writing the review is to mention how the packaging is different than what is pictured above. What arrived is a long, clear plastic case. The kit has directions molded into the top which is a nice improvement. The new design also has a pin to press a schrader valve to release any air in the tube. It looks like a valuable kit to carry for those longer rides.

Banjo Brothers Minnehaha Canvas Barrel Saddle Bag: Black
Banjo Brothers Minnehaha Canvas Barrel Saddle Bag: Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed, June 24, 2011
I bought this bag after looking at a few similar models and decided this one would look the best and likely be the most durable due to the canvas exterior. The bag is a nice size. My main complaints would be: the wooden dowel inside is ridiculous; the closure system doesn't feel secure; the leather is TERRIBLE quality and looks really cheap; and overall everything seems like it was poorly planned and just thrown together. I'm not sure what I'll order next, but this was a big mistake.

Update: I ended up purchasing Avenir Metro 2.0 Seat Bag (140 - Cubic Inches) for half the price and I'm very happy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2013 1:49 PM PDT

TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag, Black, Left Zip
TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag, Black, Left Zip
Price: $67.99
13 used & new from $47.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm dumb, June 19, 2011
In an over-zealous attempt to stock up on camping gear I bought this beast of a sleeping bag without really considering what I needed. I'm a light camper. I go twice a year during the nicest days of the summer. This thing is rated for 0 degrees and that's pretty darn cold. It's really a great sleeping bag. It's thick and warm, the lining is cozy, the zippers feel nice, the storage bag is durable. However, the adequate lining can be bulky and I wouldn't advise it if you're backpacking. I should have assessed my needs better and bought a warm weather sleeping bag. However, it wouldn't be fair to detract from a great product due to my ignorance. I give the bag 4.5 stars (rounded up to 5 for Amazon's rating system), it gets half a star knocked off because packing it back into its carry bag is a pain! I find myself laying on it to press the air out to then tightly roll it up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2011 11:20 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3