Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Stacie Gorkow > Reviews

Browse

Stacie Gorkow's Profile

Customer Reviews: 527

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stacie Gorkow "Sincerely Stacie" RSS Feed (Iowa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LifeKix Women's Shoes
LifeKix Women's Shoes
Offered by LifeKix
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Summertime Shoe for the Beach, Lake, Garden, or Pool, June 26, 2016
This review is from: LifeKix Women's Shoes (Apparel)
I'm excited to tell you about some great shoes, perfect for summer. LifeKix is a small, family-owned company in Boston. Their first product launch is this women's mesh shoe. This shoe is designed to wear at the beach, on the lake, at the pool, or just casually around your home.

I have worn water shoes that offer no support or any benefits while wearing them. The previous water shoes I have tried weren't comfortable and certainly didn't look very fashionable. But LifeKix has changed that. They made their shoe as comfortable as a tennis shoe, but lightweight. They are very breathable and easily wash up with a hose. They even dry quickly. If they get wet, they aren't heavy and definitely not slippery. I could see my mom using these to do her gardening. They offer support and without your feet getting too hot, and when you are done with the garden work, you can just wash them off.

I love all the fun colors that are offered, but this purple was my favorite. I have worn them to water my flowers. Usually, I throw on a pair of flip flops and then as soon as my feet get wet, I'm slipping around on my flip flops. No longer an issue with these shoes.

They are extremely comfortable and offer support. For those who don't like to go barefoot or wear socks in the house, these would also make a great house shoe. These shoes offer the support of a tennis shoe, without the weight of one.

I wish I was going to the lake soon because these shoes would work great for getting in and out of the boat or walking along the shoreline. These would also make perfect beach walking shoes, which I am hoping to try out this winter!

If you are looking for casual, comfortable and fashionable water shoes, LifeKix has found the formula you need to make them your next favorite summer shoe! I highly recommend them!

I was provided this product for free in exchange for an honest review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Great Carp Escape, The
Great Carp Escape, The
by Irish Beth Maddock
Price: $5.36
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story to teach children that all God's creatures need love, June 23, 2016
This review is from: Great Carp Escape, The (Paperback)
Beth and Paul are siblings that live near a lake. They love spending their summers playing in the sand and swimming in the lake. One day they come across a dead carp on the beach and are afraid of them. They don't like the carps because they are scaly with barbels or mustaches that come out next to their mouth. The kids decide to avoid the area the carps swim in under the weeping willows.

During a spring thaw, the lake floods into the family's yard. As it recedes, a pond is left under the weeping willow. When the children explore the pond, they find tadpoles and frogs and carp. The carp had gotten stuck in the pond when the flood receded and left the carp behind. With the pond quickly drying up, the carp will soon die. Beth and Paul have to decide if the carp are important enough to save and how they could do it.

Maddock has created a really wonderful story with meaning and lessons about taking care of God's creatures. Ouano's illustrations are quite gorgeous and remind me of summers on the lake when I was growing up. Carp were a common fish in our area and I remember thinking they were ugly too.

This book would make a great Sunday School lesson or children's time during church. There is plenty of opportunities for discussion and lessons to be taught along with this story. With all the hate in our world today, this is a refreshing example to share with our children about showing love not hate and all of God's creatures have value.

Solar Lights, Outdoor/Garden Waterproof Solar Motion Light - Wireless Security LED Light - Bright - for Outdoor Wall/Deck/Pole - Auto ON/OFF - No Tools Required - Vont
Offered by Divine LEDs
Price: $66.00
2 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for lighting an outside area with simple installation and no wiring, June 23, 2016
If you are looking to light up an area around your house that is maybe a little dark due to safety or security purposes, this light is for you. Maybe you don't like leaving all your lights on outside, but want to have something that turns on if a movement is detected, this light is for you.

These Solar Motion Lights offer a great amount of light when motion is detected and just a bit of light when there isn't a movement. They are operated solely with solar power and store it up during the day so it can stay on all night.

We mounted our solar light near our storage area under our porch. It is a very dark area, especially in the evening, and our regular porch lights that we can turn on don't face that side of our porch. The light was easy to attach to the wall with a simple screw. Make sure that wherever you place it, it can still access enough light from the sun to charge itself during the day.

Once you walk into the perimeter area of the light, it will come on. There is some light already coming from it, but it becomes much brighter when you step into the area.

I am really impressed with these solar lights and once we finish our addition, I could see us placing these on our new porch. Again, these lights have no wires or cords. They are completely powered by the sun and are water and heat resistant.

I received this product for free for an honest review.

The Anti Ageing Food & Fitness Plan
The Anti Ageing Food & Fitness Plan
by Rick Hay
Price: $9.56
29 used & new from $5.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Changing your Nutrition and adding HIIT workouts will offer health benefits, June 21, 2016
There are so many gimmicks out there that promise ways to slim down in just days. But, most of us know the best way to slim down and be healthy includes a balanced nutrition and getting daily exercise. These aren't quick fixes, but more of a life-long plan to sustain and maintain your health. Hay professes that following his plan will help you create new habits to focus on eating the right food and exercising to maximize your metabolism. Following his plan will not only help you drop pounds but will also make you feel better and have more energy.

I haven't had the opportunity to actually begin his plan, but reading through the pages, it is definitely a lifestyle change. All the meals are very basic with only natural foods like fruit and veggies. His plans offer breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. He gives options for each meal based on your taste, mood or situation. The 12-week plan is broken down into weeks 1 & 3, 2 & 4, etc so that you don't get bored with the food or the exercise. The exercise plan is a HIIT method (High Intensity Interval Training) to offer the most benefits in a short amount of time. All the exercises are ones that can be done in your home with minimal equipment.

I appreciate that there isn't calorie counting or portions to worry about. Just focusing on eating the right foods at a certain time of day to maximize your health benefits. I am intrigued by the tip to start each morning with a half a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. This drink helps to kickstart your liver and gallbladder. I'm anxious to give this a try.

The book is full of photos of the suggested food as well as the exercises. There are also some photos of gorgeous calming scenes throughout the book. The photos have a muted tone and the pages are thick that really makes this a quality book. Looking at the photos will make you want to eat healthier!

The only drawback for me in the book includes the author trying to sell certain supplements and powders to go along with the recipes in the book. Also, you have to have regular access to fresh fruit and veggies as almost all the recipes involve one or the other. I am looking forward to incorporating some of the recipes into my routine as well as some of the exercise circuits.

A Father's Betrayal
A Father's Betrayal
by Gabriella Gillespie
Price: $13.99
42 used & new from $10.48

4.0 out of 5 stars After many years of abuse and suffering, Gillespie still had hope of finding a way out - Inspiring True Story, June 19, 2016
This review is from: A Father's Betrayal (Paperback)
Gabriella and her sisters lived in Wales with their father and mother until her mother "went missing" and eventually her father was sent to prison for her murder. At a young age, she and her sisters lived in a loving foster home and assumed that is where they would stay until they were grown. There they were loved and well-cared for and treated like the couple's own children. But after just four years, their father was released from prison and the girls were forced to return to live with him. What was supposed to be a holiday to their father's homeland in Yemen, turned out to be a nightmare as they were unprepared for the culture shock and the fact that they were to be sold as child brides. This book shares the horrors that Gabriella and her sisters faced trying to acclimate to a completely new way of life, meeting new family, and living as wives when they should have still been attending school and dreaming of their weddings many, many years down the road.

Gabriella's story is not a happy one and I often had to put it down as it was extremely depressing and tragic. Gabriella (she goes by a different name in the book) doesn't leave out many details when recounting the horrific abuse she received from family members and her husband. All the while I had to remind myself that she was around the same age as my children. I had to believe that if she had written this book that there was a way out of this horror for her and that hope kept me reading.

This book is also a look into the culture that is much different from ours. The descriptions of boys who are working in the fields all day as young as six, young girls fetching water many miles away multiple times a day, and women cooking with meager conditions were eye-opening and humbling. I don't think I could rightfully complain about any housework after reading this book.

The writing at times was childish and elementary, but I could look beyond that knowing that the author obviously had very little education and maybe had a difficult time with translation. Beyond that, I believe she was extremely brave for telling her story knowing that it could be dangerous for her and her family. I was a little unsatisfied with the ending, but can appreciate that she may have had to keep some things private for her safety.

Overall, this was a story that kept me interested, even though it was difficult to read horrible abuse on nearly every page. The relationships that Gabriella made along her journey with her sisters from Wales as well as those she met once arriving in Yemen were a lifeline for her. Even with all the evil around her, there were people who loved her and that allowed her to continue to hope for a brighter future for herself and her children. I certainly pray that she has found happiness.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Egypt: A Child's Introduction to Cultures Around the World (Volume 17)
by Carole P. Roman
Price: $10.99
23 used & new from $7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Share Egypt's history and culture with your child, June 1, 2016
Carole Roman is continuing her series of informational books for children that introduces them to countries and cultures all over our world. I have enjoyed the other books in this series as well.

This book shares the many wonderful pieces of heritage and culture from those who live in Egypt. There is so much to share about this country's history from it being one of our oldest nations to the ancient pyramids. It is hard to fathom how many years the pyramids have stood and been visited by millions.

Food is very much a part of their culture and the unique dishes might make children curious about what is delicious and a treat to children in Egypt. I found their national holiday of Sham -al-Nessim to resemble one of our family's favorite holiday traditions. I wonder if that is where we got it from.

The illustrations seem very accurate to the culture and are sometimes placed over actual photos of the land or scenery of Egypt. The expressions help tell the family's story as we travel through some of their favorite parts of living in Egypt.

Roman has not left anything out and opens the doors of yet another interesting culture, introducing readers to the language, the food, and the uniqueness of Egypt. Another wonderful addition to the series.

Musical Hugs: Succeeding through Serving, One Song at a Time
Musical Hugs: Succeeding through Serving, One Song at a Time
by Larry V. Dykstra
Price: $19.99
36 used & new from $11.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Collection of stories full of compassion, caring, and grace, May 31, 2016
When I heard that my neighbor’s brother had written a book, I told her I was interested in reading it. After she gave me a bit of background I was quite certain that I was going connect with it on a number of levels. Since I used to be a social worker and spent some time working in Hospice, I found myself relating to his different types of therapy used to soothe or bring comfort and joy to children in the hospital.

Dykstra is a former business manager turned volunteer. After his corporate job was eliminated, he needed to find a new focus for his life. His love of music and his faith led him on a journey he never expected. His book offers a collection of short stories during his time as a volunteer for Hugworks and as a volunteer hospital chaplain. In these stories he shares connections he made with patients and their families, lessons on healing and ultimately, he learned that it is more rewarding to be defined by serving others than what did in his career.

Hugworks is a non-profit organization that offers “musical hugs”, expressions of love and caring in the form of a song. Members travel through pediatric wards in hospitals stopping by rooms and offering a lullaby or a joyful song to bring a smile to the child’s face, relieving a bit of stress for the parent. Since Dykstra was a self-trained musician and loved picking up his guitar, he believed this may just be his calling.

After auditing a college course on Music Therapy and interning at the hospital he was ready for his first solo patient. His stories share the varied reactions to his music from a young man who seemingly wasn’t paying attention until Dykstra noticed a slight tapping of his fingers along to the music. Or a young girl with an incurable disease that found a way to laugh with her mom again through the lyrics of a song. Not all of his moments singing in a hospital room were remarkable, but the power of music can leave lasting notes.

When Dykstra decides to follow his faith and learn to be a chaplain at the hospital, his stories become tragic and heartbreaking. During these eight months, his faith was tested and music took a back seat. Even though he didn’t continue in this area, the time spent with families in their darkest moments still help him offer comfort and support while singing a tune.

These stories will make you stop and reflect on what’s important in your life. What talents do you have to offer those hurting or suffering? It may not be through a song, but could be in a way you least expect. Dykstra warns that exploring boundaries, continually trying new ideas and making adjustments will be frustrating and possibly make you want to give up. But, when you ultimately find that “sweet spot” where caring and compassion become natural, then it’s what you are meant to do.

Sam's Top Secret Journal: Book 3- Memorial Day: Memorial Day
Sam's Top Secret Journal: Book 3- Memorial Day: Memorial Day
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson on understanding those different from you, having empathy, and respecting our Veterans, May 26, 2016
Sam is a 9th grader who also has down syndrome. She tries to fit in and be like everyone else but knows that sometimes she is just too different. Sometimes others treat her poorly and she expresses her feelings in her journal, either through her writing or drawing. When her family travels to an old military base for Memorial Day Weekend, she realizes that other people feel differently as well.

Sam's cousins are also joining them over the weekend. Her cousin Madison is dealing with her feelings of anger and frustration over her dad, Sam's uncle, who was injured in Afghanistan. He wasn't able to join them on this weekend trip like they had planned because he is still in the VA hospital receiving therapy. Madison's anger is causing her to act out and make poor choices. Sam sees her making these choices and resorts to her journal to figure out how to help Madison.

This is an easy read and perfect for those in the middle to upper elementary. Even though the main character is a freshman, the themes are relatable to a younger audience. Readers will problem solve with Sam and learn about kindness, empathy, and handling our emotions.

Since the book is set during Memorial Day weekend, it focuses on our Veteran's and their great sacrifices for our country. The family visits an old military base and learns from a WWII vet about his service in Japan.

There is a lot you could discuss with your child while reading this novel including children with down syndrome, handling anger, having empathy for others, and how to honor our Veterans.

Vivid Lighting LED Bulbs, 60 Watt Replacement, 8W, 800 Lumens, 6 Pack, Soft White (2700K), Non-Dimmable
Offered by Vivid Lighting Inc
Price: $20.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for long-lasting and brighter bulbs, May 12, 2016
LED bulbs seem to be the best way to save energy and money when lighting an area of your home. LED bulbs last much longer....up to 20-30 years longer than regular light bulbs.

A major complaint I have had with LED bulbs is that they are harsh or too bright. But, I was pleasantly surprised by the VIVID Lighting Sample Pack I received to try. Even though they are a 60 Watt bulb, each one only uses 8 Watts of energy. I received an LED Soft White bulb for free for the purpose of this review. I also received a Daylight bulb, but this soft white one was my favorite.

I liked that the bulbs looked like normal bulbs and not the spiral shape that a lot of LED bulbs look like. When you are changing them out in an overhead light, they look like regular bulbs.

My husband was anxious to try these bulbs in the garage. Even though I was thinking of using them in another room, I gave in since most of the products I get to try are for me. Our garage is really dark and the lights are on a lot because someone is usually going in and out of there all day long. So, we were hoping these bulbs would make a big difference in our garage lighting. Since they also last longer, that adds another benefit because it's a pain to change the bulbs in the garage.

The lighting is quite different. It is definitely brighter and you can really tell a difference in the amount of bright light these bulbs put out.

For around $20, you can get a 6-pack of the LED Soft White. That will cost you roughly $1/year for each bulb. That is an amazing deal.

Vivid Lighting LED Bulbs, 60 Watt Replacement, 8W, 800 Lumens, 6 Pack, Daylight (5000K), Non-Dimmable

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for better lighting!, May 12, 2016

A major complaint I have had with LED bulbs is that they are harsh or too bright. But, I was pleasantly surprised by the VIVID Lighting Sample Pack I received to try. Even though they are a 60 Watt bulb, each one only uses 8 Watts of energy. I received an LED Daylight bulb for free for the purpose of this review.

The lighting is quite different. With the LED bulb it is definitely brighter. The outside lighting hadn't changed (we only have that one small window) and you can really tell a difference in the amount of bright light these bulbs put out.

For around $20, you can get a 6-pack of the LED Daylight bulbs. That will cost you roughly $1/year for each bulb. That is an amazing deal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20